Thread: Legendary Bill Russell

Default Legendary Bill Russell

Not Gonzaga related, it is bigger than that. IMO
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Admin. please delete. The link to the story on Mr. Russell today didn't appear in my post.
    He was honored today in celebration of Juneteenth. He was the first African-American coach in any major sport.

A little anecdote about Bill Russell and Juneteenth.

As some here may know if they play golf, the black community held a regional golf tournament at Indian Canyon G.C. to celebrate Juneteenth. Anyone could play, and the tournament got to be quite large during its heyday.

I was on the driving range at the Canyon when the starter announced the Bill Russell was teeing off the first hole.

I made my way to the first tee thinking it would be great to see Bill Russell, the L.A. Dodgers shortstop, teeing off for the tournament.

What I saw instead was the legendary 6'11" left handed former Celtic great making the widest, longest and most powerful golf swing I ever saw.

I heard Bill Russell speak on the radio once. I can't tell you how impressed I was with him. He said that he knew every shooter on the other team. He knew when the missed where their miss would most likely be and he would move to that spot. He also knew the positioning of his teammates and where they would be when he rebounded the miss so he could outlet the pass to them immediately. He also said that he knew Charles Dumas and said he was better than him and that he could have broke the world record in the high jump if he chose to do it. Hell of a guy and he is still alive!! Going on 87.

I remember reading that when he blocked a shot he tried to keep it inbounds to create a fast break.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    A little anecdote about Bill Russell and Juneteenth.

As some here may know if they play golf, the black community held a regional golf tournament at Indian Canyon G.C. to celebrate Juneteenth. Anyone could play, and the tournament got to be quite large during its heyday.

I was on the driving range at the Canyon when the starter announced the Bill Russell was teeing off the first hole.

I made my way to the first tee thinking it would be great to see Bill Russell, the L.A. Dodgers shortstop, teeing off for the tournament.

What I saw instead was the legendary 6'11" left handed former Celtic great making the widest, longest and most powerful golf swing I ever saw.
    I wasn't aware of them doing that at Indian Canyon. I played there from 1986 to about 1990 and was pres of the men's club that last year. I lost my job and moved into a house I had been renting out, in Deer Park, so the distance and lack of money sure put a damper on things.

I was playing at the Missoula CC with my Dad and Larry Krystowiak came up behind us. This was while he was playing and he had bulked up to 280 or 290, mostly upper body. He was playing with a set of rental clubs, and it was a lamb being led to slaughter. Those guys knew every green, every bounce and every bit of trouble, they knew when to double and when to concede, which wasn't often. Larry is a nice guy.
    It's not funny.

I read Bill's book "Go Up for Glory" as a kid and always have admired him. On my list of human beings that I'd like to have lunch with, have a beer with, just talk to!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I wasn't aware of them doing that at Indian Canyon. I played there from 1986 to about 1990 and was pres of the men's club that last year. I lost my job and moved into a house I had been renting out, in Deer Park, so the distance and lack of money sure put a damper on things.
    It was a pretty big tournament for years drawing huge fields from as far away as California, Oregon, Nevada, and Western Washington. I actually ran into Bevan Maxey at the course yesterday. No tournament this year due to COVID-19 concerns.

Notably, Charlie Sifford black PGA player was entered one year. Also, boxer Joe Louis played the Canyon regularly.

Russell has a Seattle affliation for years and would come to Spokane to play.

I grew up watching Russell v. Chamberlain matches on Sunday morning on television. Two incredible heavyweights in the NBA.

I love the somewhat unique way he dealt with the press while he played, a lot of reporters weren't ready for him,
    little or no schmoozing
    whacked hyperbole down to size immediately
    often turned praise of him into comments about other black players who would be there too if not for racial climate of the 50's
    expressed the edge he possessed with blunt counter questions when reporters asked questions revealing they had not a clue what life was like for 'negro' (term of the day then) basketball players
    no nonsense
    can't think of a bb player i respect more, right up there with john stockton

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post

can't think of a bb player i respect more
    +1
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.