• Show
Clear All
  • TerpZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Gonzaga Baseball’s Lardner, Trogrlic-Iverson Sign with St. Louis Cardinals

Baseball’s Lardner, Trogrlic-Iverson Sign with St. Louis Cardinals

GU pitchers each ink first professional contract

SPOKANE, Wash. — Gonzaga left-handed pitcher Mac Lardner and right-handed pitcher Nick Trogrlic-Iverson each signed a free agent deal with the St. Louis Cardinals organization.

"Mac [Lardner] has been an integral part of our success the last four years as a starting pitcher and as a teammate," head coach Mark Machtolf said. "And Nick [Trogrlic-Iverson] pitched some really important innings for us the last two years, while being a good teammate and student. We wish them well as they start their professional careers."

Lardner, a native of Templeton, Calif., had a standout career for the Zags with a 16-11 record over his four seasons on the mound and is on track to finish his degree in Sport Management this summer. He compiled a 3.75 earned-run average and notched 212 career strikeouts in 249.2 innings pitched. He earned All-WCC Second Team honors as a sophomore in 2018 and Honorable Mention All-WCC as a junior in 2019.

"Choosing to come to Gonzaga was the easiest decision I ever had to make, but deciding to leave Gonzaga was the hardest decision I've ever made," Lardner said. "It was the best four years I could have hoped for, and I'm privileged to be a Zag for life."

In a shortened senior season, Lardner was off to a solid start 33 strikeouts and a 2.55 ERA in 24.2 innings pitched. His best season came in 2018 when he pitched 100.2 innings in 16 starts and tallied 73 strikeouts with a 2.95 ERA.

Trogrlic-Iverson, a native of Oakville, Ontario, Canada, pitched two seasons for the Zags after transferring from Central Arizona Community College. The senior is on track to finish his degree in Communication Studies this summer.

"Attending Gonzaga was the best decision I have ever made and has shaped me into the man I am today," Iverson said. "Even though I will not be returning to play baseball at Gonzaga, I will be forever grateful for everything this school has given to me. Once a Zag, always a Zag."

During his two seasons in a Zag uniform, Iverson made 30 appearances with 11 starts. He had one save, four wins and struck out 61 in 89.0 innings pitched. Iverson pitched 21.1 innings in a shortened 2020 season, compiling 20 strikeouts with just three walks.

Gonzaga Article Link
  • TerpZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Gonzaga’s Nick Trogrlic-Iverson signs with St. Louis Cardinals

Comment

Working...
    X