Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: June 6, 1944

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default June 6, 1944

    Thanks, Gramps.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    Between Covid and age there really isn't a ceremony this year. Time marches on! Link: https://www.militarytimes.com/2020/0...me-since-1945/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Thanks, Gramps.
    76 years ago...not many vets left from that day.

    What's really sad for me is that very few people give a damn about D-Day. I'd ask my younger coworkers, to include supervisors, about June 6, 1944. With quizzical looks on their faces, they'd start spit balling answers, such as Pearl Harbor.



    There's a lesson in this to those who say this week's protests will be "remembered 100 years from now". I'm not betting on that, not if the Remembrance of D-Day never made it far beyond Reagan's speech at Normandy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,534

    Default

    The greatest generation….and I have no doubt. I doubt we could resurrect that effort again......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,726

    Default

    My grandma lived in Le harve, France during that time. My grandpa was a soldier for USA and brought her back. They didnt work out but glad it happened.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,069

    Default

    Wow. This Twitter includes an animated map of the liberating forces: https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/st...29510299394048

    Norbert Elekes
    @NorbertElekes
    On this day in 1944: More than 150,000 Allied troops landed in Normandy.

    Timelapse shows their 87 days of combat.
    - orange: UK
    - blue: USA
    - red: Canada
    - black: Axis

    (CRMA) #DDay

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    2,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Wow. This Twitter includes an animated map of the liberating forces: https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/st...29510299394048
    Thanks, ZN! That was cool!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Wow. This Twitter includes an animated map of the liberating forces: https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/st...29510299394048
    Pretty cool.

    The first comment on the twitter illustrates the ignorance of what was accomplished. Comparing what is transpiring today with the incredible feat of the Allied forces is absurd. Going to the ballot box is not the same as invading the Normandy coast with machine guns, tanks and the like aimed at you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,043

    Default

    Uncle Medgar (not my side of the family) was among the brave soldiers who was part of the Normandy invasion forces.

    https://twitter.com/carter_pe/status...769521665?s=21

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/384122.../shares/1Cmmm4

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Uncle Medgar (not my side of the family) was among the brave soldiers who was part of the Normandy invasion forces.

    https://twitter.com/carter_pe/status...769521665?s=21

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/384122.../shares/1Cmmm4
    Where do you suggest I go to read about the life of your uncle Charles? Wiki offers a good start, but says little about his service during WWII. Hope he's doing well, and for your family, too.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Where do you suggest I go to read about the life of your uncle Charles? Wiki offers a good start, but says little about his service during WWII. Hope he's doing well, and for your family, too.
    The man I know as "Granddaddie" (Charles Evers) served with the Corps of Engineers in the Pacific Theater ... first New Guinea, then was part of the invasion of the Philippines. He is still going strong at 97, but he did not join the family this past Thanksgiving (Nov 2019) in Nashville when the Jackson, MS folks came to Nashville. He did get his Driver's License renewed last year and has told everyone to expect him to be around for the next 8 years (as that's when his "new" Driver's License expires).

    His story is told in several books, the best of which is "Have No Fear. The Charles Evers story" https://www.amazon.com/Have-No-Fear-.../dp/1630260940 . I'd be happy to loan you my copy (he signed it for me decades ago).

    BTW here's the family pic (minus "Granddaddie") taken this past Thanksgiving. TZF you've met 4 folks in this pic ... which includes Charles' daughter, son in law, Grand Daughters aka "The Twins" and Grand Son.

    https://flic.kr/p/2j9JhcM

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    The man I know as "Granddaddie" (Charles Evers) served with the Corps of Engineers in the Pacific Theater ... first New Guinea, then was part of the invasion of the Philippines. He is still going strong at 97, but he did not join the family this past Thanksgiving (Nov 2019) in Nashville when the Jackson, MS folks came to Nashville. He did get his Driver's License renewed last year and has told everyone to expect him to be around for the next 8 years (as that's when his "new" Driver's License expires).

    His story is told in several books, the best of which is "Have No Fear. The Charles Evers story" https://www.amazon.com/Have-No-Fear-.../dp/1630260940 . I'd be happy to loan you my copy (he signed it for me decades ago).

    BTW here's the family pic (minus "Granddaddie") taken this past Thanksgiving. TZF you've met 4 folks in this pic ... which includes Charles' daughter, son in law, Grand Daughters aka "The Twins" and Grand Son.

    https://flic.kr/p/2j9JhcM
    Thanks...just purchased Have No Fear on Amazon.

    O/T, opened an account on Ancestry.com last night. What I've learned over the past few hours is fascinating. I'm working on my great-great-grandparents on my dad's side, as I know one of my maternal cousins has taken the family all the way back to the 1600s in Scotland. So far, no known criminals in my family...lol.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,534

    Default

    Great man GZ. You married a great and impressive family.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Everything is just the same as it was just add three years

    73 years ago General Eisenhower decided today that we should attack the beachs of Normandy 73 years ago! I was 10 years at the time and thrilled that the general had picked my birthday to sound the charge........the whole world cheered,the radios blasted the news and everyone smiled it was a great day for me and the world......Here it is 83 years since I started this trip and I'm still hanging on, I'm not about to chuck it just yet......when the Grim Reaper comes for me he better be ready to fight because I'll be kicking scathing and cussing all the way out the door.......Having said all this here's to a couple more....THX for the Happy Birthday Rob

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baitcast View Post
    Everything is just the same as it was just add three years

    73 years ago General Eisenhower decided today that we should attack the beachs of Normandy 73 years ago! I was 10 years at the time and thrilled that the general had picked my birthday to sound the charge........the whole world cheered,the radios blasted the news and everyone smiled it was a great day for me and the world......Here it is 83 years since I started this trip and I'm still hanging on, I'm not about to chuck it just yet......when the Grim Reaper comes for me he better be ready to fight because I'll be kicking scathing and cussing all the way out the door.......Having said all this here's to a couple more....THX for the Happy Birthday Rob
    Thanks for a helluva post!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    The man I know as "Granddaddie" (Charles Evers) served with the Corps of Engineers in the Pacific Theater ... first New Guinea, then was part of the invasion of the Philippines. He is still going strong at 97, but he did not join the family this past Thanksgiving (Nov 2019) in Nashville when the Jackson, MS folks came to Nashville. He did get his Driver's License renewed last year and has told everyone to expect him to be around for the next 8 years (as that's when his "new" Driver's License expires).

    His story is told in several books, the best of which is "Have No Fear. The Charles Evers story" https://www.amazon.com/Have-No-Fear-.../dp/1630260940 . I'd be happy to loan you my copy (he signed it for me decades ago).

    BTW here's the family pic (minus "Granddaddie") taken this past Thanksgiving. TZF you've met 4 folks in this pic ... which includes Charles' daughter, son in law, Grand Daughters aka "The Twins" and Grand Son.

    https://flic.kr/p/2j9JhcM
    Great family picture...am assuming that your wife and kids in the picture? Which ones might they be?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Great family picture...am assuming that your wife and kids in the picture? Which ones might they be?
    I almost didn't recognize GZ with the goatee!

    Lovely family...it was a pleasure meeting them in Nashville. Hard to believe that was 3 1/2 years ago...time flies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •