Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Closed Threads

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,424

    Default Closed Threads

    So much left unsaid.

    Moderators have a tough job. I get it.

    Seems to me when the discussion starts to get meat on the bones and gets a bit contentious we shut it down so as not to offend anyone. My personal opinion is at that point in the conversation is when we finally start to get somewhere. Everything before that is muted and a choreographed dance to avoid exposing what is really on our minds.

    I don't think we should be scared to disagree for fear of shutting down a conversation.

    By the way, I strongly disagree with some of the posters in here. Still, there isn't a one of you that I wouldn't be happy to share a meal with.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,715

    Default

    100%
    Love the zags for life

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,989

    Default

    I enjoyed reading all of the opinions in that thread. I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did. Unfortunately, it was seemingly persons on one side of the conversation that were asking to shut it down. An opinion should withstand the crucible of ideas— stronger and removed of impurities. Debate is how that happens, in my opinion. There are smart persons here that I respect and make me think harder about my thoughts on things. I don’t want to live in an echo chamber.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,518

    Default

    Move it but not X it out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Well said Mark Each reader has the power not to read. If it causes them emotional distress I believe they have found something within themselves to work on and grow. I learn nothing from talking to others who agree with me.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 06-06-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher


    .
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,243

    Default

    I think we must consider all people who come here just to read. Gonzaga University has a reputation to uphold, and whether you believe it or not, this forum is a part of Gonzaga University. So if we can keep that in mind I believe we all can keep our arguments and opinions within the spirit of Gonzaga U. People who come, but do not write, are also people who donate to the university, as well as parents and friends of the players. Maybe for these reasons the moderators sometimes close threads. And like someone said, they have a tough job.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,052

    Default

    Here was the last sentence of the thread, posted by a mod, before the thread was closed:

    I found it the most thought provoking commentary of my entire week.
    I kind of saw the irony in that post.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Reborn, if that is the criteria then post an objective list of what is acceptable and not have subjective interpretation by the moderators to make the decision.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 06-06-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher


    .
    .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I think we must consider all people who come here just to read. Gonzaga University has a reputation to uphold, and whether you believe it or not, this forum is a part of Gonzaga University. So if we can keep that in mind I believe we all can keep our arguments and opinions within the spirit of Gonzaga U. People who come, but do not write, are also people who donate to the university, as well as parents and friends of the players. Maybe for these reasons the moderators sometimes close threads. And like someone said, they have a tough job.
    It wouldn't hurt for a mod to explain why the thread was closed. I thought the tenor of the thread was respectful, and great points were being made on both sides. You're right, they have a tough (unpaid) job, and they do it very well.

    Perhaps the mod thought the thread was veering off course, I'd just like to have the closure explained (briefly, of course).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Reborn, if that is the criteria then post an objective list of what is acceptable and not have subjective moderators making the decision.
    In this day and age, how does one define "objective"?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Here was the last sentence of the thread, posted by a mod, before the thread was closed:



    I kind of saw the irony in that post.
    The thread was already closed when I posted the link to Fr. Massingale's article.

    I did not close the thread. For the record, I would not have closed it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    The thread was already closed when I posted the link to Fr. Massingale's article.

    I did not close the thread. For the record, I would not have closed it.
    Thanks, RZ.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Thanks, RZ.
    This forum is really exceptional. Personal attacks were at a minimum and it defied Godwin's Law even with such a contentious topic as race.

    Thanks to everyone for letting ideas breathe so we can sort the good from the not as good. Iron sharpens iron.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,738

    Default

    I want to extend my kudos to the vast majority of posters on GU and Race thread.

    While I read both the Mbb and Wbb sides of the board, I spend most of my time posting on the WBB side of the board only occasionally posting on the Mbb side of things. There are some very aggressive posters on the Mbb side of things and their posting style tends to frequently lead to equally aggressive responses on the opposite side of the issue. Contrary to so many of the controversial (and some not very controversial) threads on the board, the same aggressive posters (and responders) were present, but their responses were more muted, dialog ensued, and ideas were generated. Nobody has to be right. Solutions are found when people from all points on the dial come together with a common goal.

    Well done.

    ZagDad

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I want to extend my kudos to the vast majority of posters on GU and Race thread.

    While I read both the Mbb and Wbb sides of the board, I spend most of my time posting on the WBB side of the board only occasionally posting on the Mbb side of things. There are some very aggressive posters on the Mbb side of things and their posting style tends to frequently lead to equally aggressive responses on the opposite side of the issue. Contrary to so many of the controversial (and some not very controversial) threads on the board, the same aggressive posters (and responders) were present, but their responses were more muted, dialog ensued, and ideas were generated. Nobody has to be right. Solutions are found when people from all points on the dial come together with a common goal.

    Well done.

    ZagDad
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Well said Zag Buddy and Mark!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •