Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schedule, students, attendance...

Default Schedule, students, attendance...

My youngest will be my third child to attend Gonzaga and will be moving onto campus late August. President McCulloh has been very good about communicating the University's plans to address the Coronavirus and how it will impact student housing and classes. In a recent e-mail the rough plan was explained to parents and students. Of interest was the fact that they announced "all classes following Thanksgiving Break will be taught online. [G]onzaga will ask students who elect to travel outside of Spokane County for the Thanksgiving Break not to return to campus for the remainder of the semester." The e-mail is very lengthy and covers a lot of issues related to classrooms, manner of teaching, housing and refund of housing and meal plans if impacted.

I wondered what impact this will have on student attendance for any games scheduled between Thanksgiving and the Christmas break? Does anyone have a schedule based on what we know at this point? We have already seen what the Kennel looks like when the student section is empty. What a bummer that this amazing team may not get to enjoy the full benefit of the Kennel Club and the home court atmosphere for a full season!

Hoping everyone is safe and healthy.

Zag_Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    My youngest will be my third child to attend Gonzaga and will be moving onto campus late August. President McCulloh has been very good about communicating the University's plans to address the Coronavirus and how it will impact student housing and classes. In a recent e-mail the rough plan was explained to parents and students. Of interest was the fact that they announced "all classes following Thanksgiving Break will be taught online. [G]onzaga will ask students who elect to travel outside of Spokane County for the Thanksgiving Break not to return to campus for the remainder of the semester." The e-mail is very lengthy and covers a lot of issues related to classrooms, manner of teaching, housing and refund of housing and meal plans if impacted.

I wondered what impact this will have on student attendance for any games scheduled between Thanksgiving and the Christmas break? Does anyone have a schedule based on what we know at this point? We have already seen what the Kennel looks like when the student section is empty. What a bummer that this amazing team may not get to enjoy the full benefit of the Kennel Club and the home court atmosphere for a full season!

Zag_Dad
    Don't know about home games, but the TZF clan is planning on trips to Austin and Phoenix in the fall. We'll be adding an extra traveler to future games. My daughter-in-law is in labor as we speak...she'll be our first granddaughter, much to the relief of Big D. He's still the only grandson on both sides of the family. To no one's surprise, he was named "Class Comedian"...I have NO idea where that came from. lol

She'll be wearing her Zag romper in a few months.

Zag_Dad
    Zags will have two of their biggest non conference home games after Thanksgiving break. Dec. 5th Arizona and December 12th Washington. I suspect some students might be skipping out on family Thanksgiving this year to stay for those games. December 19th vs Texas Tech will be in Phoenix and after finals for students.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag1203 View Post
    Zags will have two of their biggest non conference home games after Thanksgiving break. Dec. 5th Arizona and December 12th Washington. I suspect some students might be skipping out on family Thanksgiving this year to stay for those games. December 19th vs Texas Tech will be in Phoenix and after finals for students.
    Wow, would hate for Zona and U-Dub to miss out on the Kennel Club at it’s full force. Those are “tenting” type games. From the news coming out of President’s office, it just doesn’t feel like there will be many kids on campus. If I understood the plan correctly, there will not be any in-person classes after Thanksgiving break. There would be zero (non basketball) reason for kids to stay on campus and miss out on family time for Thanksgiving.
    I still have family in Spokane so I’m hoping my Zag will stay on campus so she can attend the games.

Strange times..

GO ZAGS

Going to be a bummer without the full force of the students-- but if there are fans present -- it will give a good number of people an opportunity to witness a game in the Mac --- but it is a different feeling without the students in full force.

Zag_Dad
    Many schools are doing the same thing. My daughter is going to Tennessee this Fall. They are sending students home at Thanksgiving and then having finals online remotely.

I will not be surprised to see basketball played in empty gyms. Schools will take that over no basketball.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Maybe it’s time for the alumi to flood the place. I know that me the wife, kids with 4 grandkids will be there!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Maybe it’s time for the alumi to flood the place. I know that me the wife, kids with 4 grandkids will be there!!
    I'm sure the gym will be full of fans... just hope they are the type who can generate some energy. I would love to go to the Zona and U-Dub games if the students are in fact gone and tickets are available. Any tips on how to get tickets? I have only been able to see live games when I travel to watch them (Maui, SMU, Vegas, Portland, Seattle). A game at the Kennel would be awesome.

Extra tickets will be made available to current season ticket holders/donors first and I would not expect any of the Arizona or UW games to be made available to the general public due to high demand.

To get even a hope of access, one must be a member of the Bulldog club.

Just wondering what a single, fall semester class tuition would run? Would one class give you student access?
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    To get even a hope of access, one must be a member of the Bulldog club.

Just wondering what a single, fall semester class tuition would run? Would one class give you student access?
    Hey will, come on down to Texas for the game in Austin, or join us in Phoenix for the Tech game.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Hey will, come on down to Texas for the game in Austin, or join us in Phoenix for the Tech game.
    Wish I could. If things clear up, I will be moving to somewhere in the southern Appalachian mountains this fall. mentally I am done with the store and am just hanging on to see how things progress. I will need to sell my house, my Grandfathers house, so there is some angst and family issues.
    I am thinking west of Asheville, NC. I will be within an easy drive of many Highland Games and Rennaisance Faires, lots of quality Arts and Craft shows, so will keep making my stuff, just fewer shows and an easier life. Plus it will be an easy drive to see my daughter and grandkids.
    It's not funny.

Dr. McCulloh posted an ominous tweet today about the plans to bring students back on campus. It essentially said that they are working hard and in collaboration with health care officials towards the ultimate goal of having students return to campus. He goes on to say that there have recently been many set backs with the resurgence of new reported Coronavirus cases that are causing concern for their goal of “on campus education“ (these are my words, paraphrasing how I perceived his message).
    He challenged everyone to comply with the safeguards designed to stop the spread of this virus.
    He has promised for some time an update on the University plans by this Friday (July 24th). It really sounded grim. Feel free to follow Thayne’s twitter account and read it for yourselves. I’d love for someone to tell me I that I’m being paranoid. My daughter has lost so much during her senior year of high school. I pray that she doesn’t lose her freshman year of college too

Dr. McCulloh posted an ominous tweet today about the plans to bring students back on campus. It essentially said that they are working hard and in collaboration with health care officials towards the ultimate goal of having students return to campus. He goes on to say that there have recently been many set backs with the resurgence of new reported Coronavirus cases that are causing concern for their goal of “on campus education“ (these are my words, paraphrasing how I perceived his message).
    He challenged everyone to comply with the safeguards designed to stop the spread of this virus.
    He has promised for some time an update on the University plans by this Friday (July 24th). It really sounded grim. Feel free to follow Thayne’s twitter account and read it for yourselves. I’d love for someone to tell me I that I’m being paranoid. My daughter has lost so much during her senior year of high school. I pray that she doesn’t lose her freshman year of college too
    Not surprising (the ominous tone). At the high school level in Washington, the dominoes are starting to fall. It was just announced that Renton, Federal Way, Bellevue, Highline, and Auburn school districts will be 100% remote learning to start the Fall. Seattle's superintendent has recommended the same today, and the district is surely to follow suit after an upcoming vote. I heard mention of Tri-Cities looking to do the same. I assume this means probably no Fall sports for K-12 (cross country maybe?).

Do Washington colleges follow suit? There appear to be no good choices. It's going to be a very interesting next 30 days.

The good news is that Washington now has the (estimated) 4th lowest Rt (viral reproductive rate) in the country, and it's dropped below the magic number, 1.0, suggesting that the addition of masks and other measures has likely started to reduce community transmission. We'll know in a couple of weeks if cases start to fall again. Ironically, today WA broke its record for new cases. Rt typically leads the epidemiological (case) curve by about two weeks.

Has there been any decisions at all by WCC on games being played or not yet or whether we will even have a season to enjoy?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I suggest moving this thread.

Best to stick to Gonzaga Mens Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I suggest moving this thread.

Best to stick to Gonzaga Mens Basketball.
    I posted here because I thought the University's decision whether to allow students back on campus is highly relevant to whether there will be a basketball season this year. IF the students don't come back there will be, at a minimum, an empty Kennel for games played in November and December. Worse yet, the school/conference could cancel all Fall and Winter sports... If this information is not something to be discussed in this forum, feel free to move. Just thought the information distributed to families of current students would be of interest.

WIAA, the governing body for Washington High school sports will be moving some Fall Sports to March: football, volleyball, boys 1b/2b soccer. There will still be Fall sports: cross country, slow pitch, softball, golf and tennis. See WIAA for more complete info.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I posted here because I thought the University's decision whether to allow students back on campus is highly relevant to whether there will be a basketball season this year. IF the students don't come back there will be, at a minimum, an empty Kennel for games played in November and December. Worse yet, the school/conference could cancel all Fall and Winter sports... If this information is not something to be discussed in this forum, feel free to move. Just thought the information distributed to families of current students would be of interest.
    For what it's worth, I think it is totally appropriate for this board. Student participation in home games is an integral part of the bb program.

President from July 17 letter

Even in the face of this pandemic, our Governor and the local health district remain supportive of resuming in-person instruction if we, collectively, can do so in accordance with the most contemporary public health guidance.
    bold was from the letter

https://www.gonzaga.edu/zagon/announ...communications

His July 17th correspondence is outdated. Here is what he "tweeted" yesterday:

"But I think I may have been too optimistic here.
    Things are not looking good.
    Too many people have been working overtime, trying to figure out how to make things happen despite the existence of this virus.
    We have to double down.
    To clarify: We are working diligently in accordance with our plan, which has consistently been to find a way to safely resume on-campus instruction in the fall. This has been our objective from the start . . .
    Having said that, the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise, all across the country. We as a nation, have to get this situation under control. If we do not, despite all of our planning efforts, many things will not be possible. Let’s each commit to doing our part!"

https://twitter.com/Gonzaga_Prez/sta...87333159137280

Tomorrow we will know more.

Little '75 is a tenured college professor in New York and has a research position at the University of Pennsylvania Med School. She tells me that at this moment nobody knows what will happen with colleges in New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, etc. I suspect that if major universities on the East Coast don't open for on-campus classes, a lot of smaller private colleges around the US are going to be very reluctant to open for on-campus classes. And the elephant in the room is whether or not students (or their parents) are going to be willing to pay $40K - $60K a year for on-line classes. I don't know anything about GU finances, but there are a lot of private universities in the US who have a significant debt load for new buildings, dorms, etc., and without the cash flow from tuition, books, room, board, etc., it is not clear how those private universities are going to service their debts. That issue may change the landscape of education in the US for a long time.

Even the Twilight Zone guy didn't write a screenplay about this sort of stuff.

Best to all GU students, athletes, faculty, etc., and of course .....

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Not surprising (the ominous tone). At the high school level in Washington, the dominoes are starting to fall. It was just announced that Renton, Federal Way, Bellevue, Highline, and Auburn school districts will be 100% remote learning to start the Fall. Seattle's superintendent has recommended the same today, and the district is surely to follow suit after an upcoming vote. I heard mention of Tri-Cities looking to do the same. I assume this means probably no Fall sports for K-12 (cross country maybe?).

Do Washington colleges follow suit? There appear to be no good choices. It's going to be a very interesting next 30 days.

The good news is that Washington now has the (estimated) 4th lowest Rt (viral reproductive rate) in the country, and it's dropped below the magic number, 1.0, suggesting that the addition of masks and other measures has likely started to reduce community transmission. We'll know in a couple of weeks if cases start to fall again. Ironically, today WA broke its record for new cases. Rt typically leads the epidemiological (case) curve by about two weeks.
    The expected wait time for test results in Spokane is now approximately 9 days. It seems like a short time ago the testing results were available in 48 hours.
    Parlez-vous français?

Germany is out front with school openings....science is being watch

Of the almost 2,000 samples, only 12 had antibodies, said Reinhard Berner from the University Hospital of Dresden, adding the first results gave no evidence that school children play a role in spreading the virus particularly quickly.
    "Children may even act as a brake on infection," Berner told a news conference, saying infections in schools had not led to an outbreak, while the spread of the virus within households was also less dynamic than previously thought.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...ate-in-schools

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Germany is out front with school openings....science is being watch

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...ate-in-schools
    Germany worked hard and got out in front of things between the end of March and the end of May. They were the first to get major sport going as well. Hopefully we can adopt some lessons learned.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time