Race thread (will be moved on Monday night)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kong-Kool-Aid
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post

Kong-Kool-Aid - You've twice suggested the USA federally conduct some kind of process modeled on the Truth and Reconciliation commission in South Africa from 1996, which of course sought to hear from citizens and government officials who had oppressed them under their legally enforced segregation, which had ended 3-4 years earlier. I'm not necessarily opposed to some kind of analogous process federally in the USA, but who would such a commission hear from, since any allowed segregation or racial discrimination in hiring, gathering, commerce, and employment ended with the civil rights act (1964) or Fair Housing Act (1968), 52 and 56 years ago respectively, a span longer than Appomattox to Versaille. I'm not saying personal racism or casual illegal discrimination did not continue, but that wasn't the subject of national Truth and Reconciliation commissions. Nobody who was in the federal government prior to those bills is still serving, almost none are even alive. Would the commission you envision be more academic/historical/researching in nature? Do you expect it would uncover information as-yet unknown about the era of Jim Crow, which would prove beneficial to Black americans? Again, I'm open to this scenario but I'm curious what new knowledge you hope such a commission would produce and how such production would be used to benefit folks today.
    Actually, I'd like to see something modeled after the Canadian model, which has grown from what was done in South Africa. You don't have to only speak to people who were in alive during times of segregation, but leaders in oppressed communities now, and how the lingering effects of slavery, segregation, and systematic racism effects them and their communities now. Yes it should look towards righting the wrongs of the past, but it should also look at the real and lasting impacts on the black community today. How can the government begin to help the community, how can we as a whole country eliminate the inequalities that exist.

The TCR in Canada came up with 94 calls to action which the government is expected to follow through with in order to move towards fixing some of these issues. I won't list them here because it's a different country and a different situation (historically speaking), but the systematic racism and oppression exists in both countries. The commission focused on broad areas such as Child Welfare, Education, Health, Culture, Justice Rights, Equity for Aboriginal people in the legal system, and so forth.

Ultimately the government and the people need to acknowledge that the system is broken right now and it is up to everyone to change. The government needs to lead that change.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
      This is a reboot of the ol' doctrine of indulgences scheme where the priests decide who is a sinner and you have to pay for forgiveness and the sins of your father.

I share Martin Luther King's dream "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

This thread seemed too civil, I'd thought I'd bring the Protestant Reformation into it.
      As MLK also said:
      "We cannot have an enlightened democracy with one great group living in ignorance."
      "We cannot be truly Christian people so long as we flaunt the central teachings of Jesus: brotherly love and the Golden Rule. We cannot come to full prosperity with one great group so ill-delayed that it cannot buy goods. So as we gird ourselves to defend democracy from foreign attack, let us see to it that increasingly at home we give fair play and free opportunity for all people."

"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: ‘I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action’; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a ‘more convenient season.’ Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.”

I find it ironic that you share in MLKs thoughts but seem not to be willing to sacrifice to achieve it. How you question whether it's right to pay for the sins of your fathers, but not question whether it's right to benefit from the sins of your fathers.

Comment

• sonuvazag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
        From day 1 the persons who didn't like his protest felt that way because it disrespected the flag (and what it stood for).
        Which is why he took the advice of a former green beret and started kneeling instead of sitting as a compromise. And, yes, in his first public comments to explain his actions, he mentioned police brutality.

Retired Army Green Beret Nate Boyer is the man who first convinced Colin Kaepernick to kneel during the national anthem. He speaks with NPR's Michel Martin.
        Agent provocateur

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

One could reasonably make the case that kneeling in silence is even more reverential than standing. Kap needed a good p.r. person.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

This is a reboot of the ol' doctrine of indulgences scheme where the priests decide who is a sinner and you have to pay for forgiveness and the sins of your father.

I share Martin Luther King's dream "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

This thread seemed too civil, I'd thought I'd bring the Protestant Reformation into it.
            Sorry, Tin. No more room on the wall.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
              From day 1 the persons who didn't like his protest felt that way because it disrespected the flag (and what it stood for).
              and you get that, for him, it didn't feel that it stood for him anymore as a black man? JMHO... That shouldn't make you angry at him. It should make you made that he is made to feel that way.
              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post

I find it ironic that you share in MLKs thoughts but seem not to be willing to sacrifice to achieve it. How you question whether it's right to pay for the sins of your fathers, but not question whether it's right to benefit from the sins of your fathers.
                Sacrifice to who? God has already sacrificed for our sins. I will not accept a debt that is assigned to me without choice.

Justice is based on an agreement between reasonable parties on what is fair. Demanding concessions under threat of violence is extortion.
                The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• sonuvazag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                  and you get that, for him, it didn't feel that it stood for him anymore as a black man? JMHO... That shouldn't make you angry at him. It should make you made that he is made to feel that way.
                  That's almost exactly what Boyer said in the article I linked earlier:
                  I don't think people should stand with pride for something that they don't believe in, period. I just don't think that. I think if you don't feel that way, then let's fix it. Let's work together to make this situation better. Because I want you to want to stand. I want you to want to feel that same type of pride that I feel.
                  Agent provocateur

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2009

Sacrifice to who? God has already sacrificed for our sins. I will not accept a debt that is assigned to me without choice.

Justice is based on an agreement between reasonable parties on what is fair. Demanding concessions under threat of violence is extortion.
                    Pretty simple really, acknowledge your privilege, be willing to let go of that privilege to allow others the same opportunities.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
                      Pretty simple really, acknowledge your privilege, be willing to let go of that privilege to allow others the same opportunities.
                      Your statement appears to be based on a false premise: That one person's opportunity comes at the cost of some other's opportunity. There is no set amount of opportunity (or wealth for that matter). Opportunity can be created and destroyed and there is no set limit to it.

As for "acknowledge your privilege", that's also known as contrition and I'll keep that between me and God.
                      The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• sonuvazag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Your statement appears to be based on a false premise: That one person's opportunity comes at the cost of some other's opportunity. There is no set amount of opportunity (or wealth for that matter). Opportunity can be created and destroyed and there is no set limit to it.

As for "acknowledge your privilege", that's also known as contrition and I'll keep that between me and God.
                        Those that want you to "acknowledge your privilege" are not necessarily looking for you to be contrite so much as to be aware of how your experience and point of view are shaped by your social position.
                        Agent provocateur

Comment

• zagdontzig
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2016

Here are some of Coach Few's thoughts on the issue:

"Like many of you, I am sickened and appalled of what happened to George Floyd and unfortunately too many others over the years," he said. "There's been a long history of racial injustice that is sadly still a part of our current reality."

Few said canceling team activities on Election Day will help players understand the significance of the day.

Gonzaga's Mark Few said he will cancel all team activities, workouts, practices and scrimmages on Election Day to promote the significance of civic engagement, and wants coaches around the country to join him.
                          Originally posted by Reborn
                          Go Zags!!!
                          Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by sonuvazag View Post
                            Those that want you to "acknowledge your privilege" are not necessarily looking for you to be contrite so much as to be aware of how your experience and point of view are shaped by your social position.
                            I know that's what is said but that's a class argument. If the ask is "know thyself", I'm down. It's good advice for everyone. If the ask is "because you are white, you should feel bad and you owe me", there's a problem.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                              To me, and it is just my opinion, the first place to start is to identify those LEO that are members of hate groups. It probably would not be legal to fire them because they do have a right to join them, but their duties can be limited to fields where they are least likely to have a detrimental effect. Some, like the Police chief in Minneapolis, need to be dealt with some how and some way. There are many in the community that have identified him as racist. But not JUST racist cops. Those cops that have been accused of excessive force, and more. Start by identifying the problem ones and work harder to ensure that new hires don't come in with those attitudes, and make the ones that cause problems be accountable.

The second idea, and again it's mine, would be to have school districts start building new schools in the inner city neighborhoods that propagate much of the problem kids. Build state of the art, the best of the best, the best teachers...good enough that white kids want to transfer in to take advantage of the benefits. Sadly, there would also need to be security measures built in, to protect the school and the students against all that don't want the success. Many Black students have described how they have had to hide their accomplishments because of pressure from the hood.
                              If the neighborhood can be improved from the inside, not just slum apartment buildings, but by educating the people there so they can lift themselves up, it would be another start.

There is no one answer to eradicating racism. Those two ideas are mine as a place to start. Please feel free to present your own.
                              Great ideas, will. This thread has been making me reflect more, to seek to be more open minded on the path forward.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                                Wishing Mom & baby well, TZF.
                                Thanks 50! Granddaughter arrived at 11:50 last night, 5 pounds, 4 ounces (3 weeks early). Mom and baby are doing great...don't know about Dad, though...lol. She's their first child, and he's coming to grips with how his life will change...for the better, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X