Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

Kong-Kool-Aid - You've twice suggested the USA federally conduct some kind of process modeled on the Truth and Reconciliation commission in South Africa from 1996, which of course sought to hear from citizens and government officials who had oppressed them under their legally enforced segregation, which had ended 3-4 years earlier. I'm not necessarily opposed to some kind of analogous process federally in the USA, but who would such a commission hear from, since any allowed segregation or racial discrimination in hiring, gathering, commerce, and employment ended with the civil rights act (1964) or Fair Housing Act (1968), 52 and 56 years ago respectively, a span longer than Appomattox to Versaille. I'm not saying personal racism or casual illegal discrimination did not continue, but that wasn't the subject of national Truth and Reconciliation commissions. Nobody who was in the federal government prior to those bills is still serving, almost none are even alive. Would the commission you envision be more academic/historical/researching in nature? Do you expect it would uncover information as-yet unknown about the era of Jim Crow, which would prove beneficial to Black americans? Again, I'm open to this scenario but I'm curious what new knowledge you hope such a commission would produce and how such production would be used to benefit folks today.
Actually, I'd like to see something modeled after the Canadian model, which has grown from what was done in South Africa. You don't have to only speak to people who were in alive during times of segregation, but leaders in oppressed communities now, and how the lingering effects of slavery, segregation, and systematic racism effects them and their communities now. Yes it should look towards righting the wrongs of the past, but it should also look at the real and lasting impacts on the black community today. How can the government begin to help the community, how can we as a whole country eliminate the inequalities that exist.

The TCR in Canada came up with 94 calls to action which the government is expected to follow through with in order to move towards fixing some of these issues. I won't list them here because it's a different country and a different situation (historically speaking), but the systematic racism and oppression exists in both countries. The commission focused on broad areas such as Child Welfare, Education, Health, Culture, Justice Rights, Equity for Aboriginal people in the legal system, and so forth.

Ultimately the government and the people need to acknowledge that the system is broken right now and it is up to everyone to change. The government needs to lead that change.