Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Nembhard???

There’s also a possibility that this young man keeps things close to his vest. We knew of him a month before we knew who he was. My guess is we won’t hear much until he says where he will go.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Hooray - I am having a bad feeling here. Please believe me that I know absolutely nothing. But it seems too quiet if things were going in the right direction, It seems as if it is taking too long if things were going to break for GU. I have always said the longer it takes the worse it is for GU. The fact that nobody responded to your post. The fact that Duke is involved and a surprise team like USC coming out of nowhere worry me. When other transfers were looking good, you could feel the momentum building. There has not been a bigger transfer than Nembhard and it just seems to quiet. I truly hope i am wrong and not reading the tea leaves right. When things happen - they generally happen quickly.
    I am equally uninformed and equally nervous.

My understanding is he would be able to come to Spokane on Monday if he transferred to Gonzaga. Not a good sign that he hasnít made a decision 48-72 hours prior.

It makes me feel like he is waiting on Duke, which is still trying to use their last scholarship on someone ďbetterĒ than him. If that doesnít give him an indication that they wonít hesitate to recruit over him, I donít know what would.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    It's possible things are moving slowly because there may not be a clear read on whether Nembhard will be eligible this year or next year. If he gets a waiver, GU is likely not an option, but we should still have a good shot if no waiver is involved. If we find any possible waiver is denied, and things are still moving slowly, then yes, that would be the time to worry.
    ^ ^ ^
    T H I S
    If Nembhard gets a waiver to play in this upcoming season, he should not come to Gonzaga...
    if he must do the usual sit one/play two transfer, he should absolutely come to Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAG 4 LIFE View Post
    ^ ^ ^
    T H I S
    If Nembhard gets a waiver to play in this upcoming season, he should not come to Gonzaga...
    if he must do the usual sit one/play two transfer, he should absolutely come to Gonzaga.
    I agree with both of you. I totally get it if he gets a waiver and wants to play right away. He likely needs the keys to the car wherever he goes in order to further his basketball career.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I agree with both of you. I totally get it if he gets a waiver and wants to play right away. He likely needs the keys to the car wherever he goes in order to further his basketball career.
    Under the circumstances - how can he get a waiver this year? If other players have to sit a year and could not get a waiver, I am hard pressed to understand what he would be able to say to get one. We, Gonzaga fans, know with 100% certainty that his best move is to come to the GU program if he is a sit out transfer. The big question is - does Andrew Nembhard feel the same way?

Under the circumstances - how can he get a waiver this year? If other players have to sit a year and could not get a waiver, I am hard pressed to understand what he would be able to say to get one. We, Gonzaga fans, know with 100% certainty that his best move is to come to the GU program if he is a sit out transfer. The big question is - does Andrew Nembhard feel the same way?
    Scuttlebutt is that a lot of waivers will be issued given the pandemic. Juzang went home to UCLA and was given a waiver.

Obviously no 'hometown' school available for Andrew but it's plausible if he went somewhere like Syracuse or Michigan that he may he get a waiver. I could see this possibility being one of the reasons for the somewhat dragged out recruiting process. (I mean not really, I think we are all just starved for any sort of information these days )

I'm still confident GU will be the landing place once he & his family have done their due diligence. The fit is great and I think he'll be a terrific Zag.

I sure hope he feels the same way. It sounds like some of the Florida fans didnít appreciate his lack of explosiveness and pass-first mentality. He would be embraced with open arms here. It seems like his game is like Perkinsí without the excellent 3-point shooting.

I have no pulse on the waiver process but itís talked about as being a lot easier now in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I sure hope he feels the same way. It sounds like some of the Florida fans didn’t appreciate his lack of explosiveness and pass-first mentality. He would be embraced with open arms here. It seems like his game is like Perkins’ without the excellent 3-point shooting.

I have no pulse on the waiver process but it’s talked about as being a lot easier now in the past.
    A JP 2.0 would be over the moon .....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    ... and the Zags run away with the spoon?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I'd say he's more akin to NWG than Perkins. He's incredibly crafty and effective producing buckets in the paint. Not as good a shooter as Josh but his mechanics aren't terrible & I think there is plenty to work with.

He's got great size and I think he could be the best defender of the three. I know I personally would prefer Andrew with a redshirt over any potential 2021 PG recruit.

After seeing Woodridge far exceed expectations for perimeter shooting and others who don't, I'm certainly not going to pigeonhole him. If he's not playing in a system that fits his preferred tempo, it's going to affect his shooting/ rhythm. Just a gut feeling, but I have a good feeling about him being a Zag

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    After seeing Woodridge far exceed expectations for perimeter shooting and others who don't, I'm certainly not going to pigeonhole him. If he's not playing in a system that fits his preferred tempo, it's going to affect his shooting/ rhythm. Just a gut feeling, but I have a good feeling about him being a Zag
    Any idea when we might find out his decision. I might be mistaken about this but I thought he needed to make his decision by tomorrow in order to enroll in summer classes. Otherwise, he won't be able to enroll until August and this could drag much longer. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you

Any idea when we might find out his decision. I might be mistaken about this but I thought he needed to make his decision by tomorrow in order to enroll in summer classes. Otherwise, he won't be able to enroll until August and this could drag much longer. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you
    He is a regular transfer, not a grad, so as long as he decides and is here in (I think) mid September, he would be fine. He doesn't need the summer classes.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    He is a regular transfer, not a grad, so as long as he decides and is here in (I think) mid September, he would be fine. He doesn't need the summer classes.
    I also believe that he can continue taking Summer classes at Florida even if he picks his new school. I think I recall a couple of our grad transfers doing something similar to get the proper credits to come here.

I have no involvement nor inside information on where Nembhard transfer destination will be BUT from reading Caldwell's emails on this subject, I was under the impression he was pretty much a sure thing. Now, as each day passes without a commitment to GU, it just seems unlikely that GU is his destination. Hope I am so wrong as I'd love for him to play here next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I have no involvement nor inside information on where Nembhard transfer destination will be BUT from reading Caldwell's emails on this subject, I was under the impression he was pretty much a sure thing. Now, as each day passes without a commitment to GU, it just seems unlikely that GU is his destination. Hope I am so wrong as I'd love for him to play here next year...
    Bogo - I agree with you 100%. I thought 2 weeks ago we were going to get him and he would be in the fold by now. Now I am wondering what program other than Gonzaga is going to get him. He may be trying yo get a waiver to play next year as waivers are much more easily gotten with the pandemic this off season versus normal times. If he does get the waiver then i don;t think GU or Duke will be his destination and more likely USC or Memphis who might be in more need of a PG. However, if he is waiting to see if he can get a waiver and he does not get one then I think GU is right back in it again along with Duke. I think the hold up is that he is trying to determine whether he gets that waiver before deciding. His destination will be different depending on that outcome I think.

I thought you had to pick a new school before you could apply for a waiver. The other way around doesn't make any sense to me. NCAA often drags its feet on these decisions, sometimes waiting until just before the season starts. Also where you decide to transfer to can actual be a factor in whether a waiver is approved or not (ie. closer to home for family reasons).

Seems to me most of our big name transfers were announced late, like August or September late. Isn't the Nembhard situation more of the same?

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Seems to me most of our big name transfers were announced late, like August or September late. Isn't the Nembhard situation more of the same?
    Our most recent transfers were announced earlier than that but not sure about some of the others. Could you tell me which transfers you are referring to?

I think you are correct that you do need to pick a school before you know whether you will be granted a waiver. But I was under the impression that the player can still get an idea from the powers that be whether he can get a waiver if he hypothetically chooses USC or Memphis. I could be wrong about that but that was my impression. Please enlighten me.

Dates all our transfers announced since Micah Downs in 2006:

Micah Downs 1/24/06 Jannuary
    Drew Barham 6/15/12 June
    Kyle Wiltjer 7/19/13 July
    Byron Wesley 5/18/14 May
    Nigel Williams-Goss 5/3/15 May
    Jonathan Williams 5/30/15 May
    Jordan Matthews 6/24/16 June
    Brandon Clarke 8/31/17 August
    Geno Crandall 7/5/18 July
    Admon Gilder 5/5/19 May
    Ryan Woolridge 6/23/19 June

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Edited to add: Added links to sources for dates highlighted.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 06-15-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Gilder and Woolridge were mid to late June last year as well.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Thank you very much

Could there be any chance that he is waiting on Suggs to make his decision more apparent before he (AN) commits to GU? I only ask because of the speculation as to whether or not AN is seeking a waiver to play this season.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    Could there be any chance that he is waiting on Suggs to make his decision more apparent before he (AN) commits to GU? I only ask because of the speculation as to whether or not AN is seeking a waiver to play this season.
    I don't think Suggs is really part of his equation.
    If he gets a waiver, he will go to a program where he knows he will be the starting point. Without the waiver, he will choose a school that is a potential NC, top 5 and a history of making the NCAA for over 2 decades.
    It's not funny.