Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Nembhard???

We did it!!! Huge program booster for us. Nembhard also confirmed in the WatchStadium article that he will be sitting out this season.

“I’m definitely going to sit out this season,” he said. “They have a track record with players who have sat out, and they have a great program and plan in place.”

Nembhard said that he’ll focus on his body, improving his athleticism and also his perimeter shot in the next year before he becomes eligible for the ‘Zags.

NWG soph year at UW: 15.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 5.9 apg, 103.4 ORtg, 46.8 eFG%

Andrew Nembhard soph: 11.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 5.6 apg, 105.9 ORtg, 49.5 eFG%

Nigel had to be THE guy in 17. Nembhard probably won't have to. But if he has even 75% of the impact of Nigel, Gonzaga will be thrilled.

https://twitter.com/SKarrG0/status/1...261507590?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Kamaka Hepa's picture has been seen on milk cartons in the Hill Country. In 49 games for the Longhorns, he's scored 115 points. A complete nonfactor, apparently no development as a player.
    That's why I feel bad for him. I feel as though Kelly, Przem, and Sabonis may have easily been non-factors if they didn't find proper player development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

I am very happy. We got him.

Love this tweet from Fox Sports Basketball Analyst

Aaron Torres
    @Aaron_Torres
    On a different note, it is surreal to see how far Gonzaga has come in 20 years. They just landed a transfer who picked them over Duke because of their track record of putting guys in the NBA. And he will replace a McDonalds All-American/one and done. Wild when you think about it

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    That's why I feel bad for him. I feel as though Kelly, Przem, and Sabonis may have easily been non-factors if they didn't find proper player development.
    Disagree. The Bonus’ brilliance was preternatural.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag1203 View Post
    We did it!!! Huge program booster for us. Nembhard also confirmed in the WatchStadium article that he will be sitting out this season.

“I’m definitely going to sit out this season,” he said. “They have a track record with players who have sat out, and they have a great program and plan in place.”

Nembhard said that he’ll focus on his body, improving his athleticism and also his perimeter shot in the next year before he becomes eligible for the ‘Zags.
    It's weird that he is resigned to sitting out this year. I would strongly doubt he has been given any sort of absolute no when it comes to not getting a waiver yet. With Covid, there has to still be that possibility.

Why would you not pursue it still though? Is he afraid he would get showed up/embarrassed by coming off the bench behind Suggs, and being outplayed by him? Do Few and GU not want to take any chance in upsetting Suggs? I guess those could be two contributing factors, but there should be no shame in coming off the bench for the #1 team in the country. If he wants to stay another year, he obviously still could too...so the same timeline, but with a true option after next year (although, technically, I guess he could still apply for the NBA Draft next year even after a sit-out year, but I'm sure he would not do that).

It just seems weird that he would already be 100% resigned to sitting out the year. I could certainly believe that he was given a probable no in regards to the waiver, but he would not have been told it is a definite no yet.

Nembhard vs Suggs in practice......nice

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...itting-gonzaga

Slipper Still Fits says He is a Zag!

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoZag View Post
    It's weird that he is resigned to sitting out this year. I would strongly doubt he has been given any sort of absolute no when it comes to not getting a waiver yet. With Covid, there has to still be that possibility.

Why would you not pursue it still though? Is he afraid he would get showed up/embarrassed by coming off the bench behind Suggs, and being outplayed by him? Do Few and GU not want to take any chance in upsetting Suggs? I guess those could be two contributing factors, but there should be no shame in coming off the bench for the #1 team in the country. If he wants to stay another year, he obviously still could too...so the same timeline, but with a true option after next year (although, technically, I guess he could still apply for the NBA Draft next year even after a sit-out year, but I'm sure he would not do that).

It just seems weird that he would already be 100% resigned to sitting out the year. I could certainly believe that he was given a probable no in regards to the waiver, but he would not have been told it is a definite no yet.
    i'm speculating here, but probably because that's the scenario that gonzaga offered him. go through the RS program and come out the other side our presumptive starting pg. gonzaga/few seem to have carefully avoided complicating suggs' runway, and (as was regularly lamented in the suggs' recruitment thread) passed on a number of interesting options both as recruits and transfers at pg to see his recruitment through.

wouldn't surprise me at all if penny's pitch was: "come here and you're the starting pg whenever you're eligible, and i'll do what i can to get you there asap"... and thus the attraction/delay. today's announcement seems like an affirmation that he's going to gonzaga, and doing it gonzaga's way. i think it'll work out great for both parties.

Nembhard
    Dom
    Watty
    Timme
    Ballo

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    i'm speculating here, but probably because that's the scenario that gonzaga offered him. go through the RS program and come out the other side our presumptive starting pg. gonzaga/few seem to have carefully avoided complicating suggs' runway, and (as was regularly lamented in the suggs' recruitment thread) passed on a number of interesting options both as recruits and transfers at pg to see his recruitment through.

wouldn't surprise me at all if penny's pitch was: "come here and you're the starting pg whenever you're eligible, and i'll do what i can to get you there asap"... and thus the attraction/delay. today's announcement seems like an affirmation that he's going to gonzaga, and doing it gonzaga's way. i think it'll work out great for both parties.
    Ding ding ding! We gave him the sit one option and our pitch the entire way was development into a pro after a sit one year.

Here is a quote from AN that provides a really nice insight into the Gonzaga recruiting style: "I talked to a lot of people that went there and it made it a lot easier to make that decision. Just knowing how Kyle (Wiltjer) and Kevin (Pangos) are as people and what they told me about the place, it gave me reassurance about the place and the people over there." https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-andrew-n...zaga-1.1488663

Many of us might be surprised to learn how influential our grads are in helping the Zags to continue to excel at recruiting.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

A MOD needs to change the title of this thread to Welcome Andrew Nembhard!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Ding ding ding! We gave him the sit one option and our pitch the entire way was development into a pro after a sit one year.
    Nembhard also put his name in the NBA draft and received feedback before deciding to come back to college and transfer. NBA teams told him exactly what he needed to work on to be in the league. Development has been his priority since deciding he was coming back to college.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag1203 View Post
    Nembhard also put his name in the NBA draft and received feedback before deciding to come back to college and transfer. NBA teams told him exactly what he needed to work on to be in the league. Development has been his priority since deciding he was coming back to college.
    This has been on the radar for some time now. As mentioned above, Nembhard has specific things to work on and he is comfortable that Gonzaga is just the place to do so. I’m glad his commitment is finally public mostly so you all can now relax a bit! It was hard to watch everyone sweat this one out as Gonzaga has been the very probably destination for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    NWG soph year at UW: 15.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 5.9 apg, 103.4 ORtg, 46.8 eFG%

Andrew Nembhard soph: 11.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 5.6 apg, 105.9 ORtg, 49.5 eFG%

Nigel had to be THE guy in 17. Nembhard probably won't have to. But if he has even 75% of the impact of Nigel, Gonzaga will be thrilled.

https://twitter.com/SKarrG0/status/1...261507590?s=19
    - i think andrew has need and room to improve his game in many areas, and believe gonzaga is the place he can accomplish that.

- agree, if andrew can be even 75% of what nwg meant to the team, 2021 we will be talking about a "repeat"

- welcome andrew, love having you on board.

My favorite headline has to be:

Transfer Andrew Nembhard Chooses Gonzaga Over Duke

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    My favorite headline has to be:
    See those pigs up there approaching DFW?

Happy day!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    See those pigs up there approaching DFW?
    They better not land near Hogzilla's brood!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...itting-gonzaga

"Coach Mark Few's staff is currently pursuing Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero, two of the top three prospects in the 2021 class, as well as five-star prospects Nate Bittle and Hunter Sallis, but they needed a point guard like Nembhard."

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    This has been on the radar for some time now. As mentioned above, Nembhard has specific things to work on and he is comfortable that Gonzaga is just the place to do so. I’m glad his commitment is finally public mostly so you all can now relax a bit! It was hard to watch everyone sweat this one out as Gonzaga has been the very probably destination for some time now.
    Yeah but sweat from the Jazz and Co. naysayers is just the kind of quality entertainment we need in the off-season.

Welcome, Andrew!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I don't know about the rest of you BUT I feel there should be a penalty for being notified on Tuesday instead of the afore mentioned Monday announcement.

I do realize it was the unlimited offer of free tacos for TWO YEARS that really made his decision much easier, oh and the free Pepsi too!

Now, the penalty should be that he cannot have any napkins or mild sauce with those tacos...that would work for me, so who is going to tell him? Does this fall into Gozagswoohoo's niche?

Anyway, am glad he made the decision to attend GU, he will be a much improved player after his "redshirt" year!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bitcoin would be fitting.
    No bitcoin for you....