Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Nembhard???

[QUOTE=LongIslandZagFan;1520093]Rest assured... if he chooses Duke... gets waiver to play immediately... chooses Zags... no waiver to play immediately.

Just following NCAA logic.

Oh... and Pacific will get penalized for it just for good measure.[/QUOT

Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    "With the way Nembhard can make decisions in the pick-and-roll, can make decisions off of ball screens and with his soft touch on his floater, the fit could be exceptional."

I always felt that NWG's floater was something that gave him a big edge over Perkins.

How long does everyone think it will take Nembhard to make an announcement? Many of the transfers this cycle announced quicker than i had anticipated. I know it has been only 3 days but do we think this might play out longer or shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    How long does everyone think it will take Nembhard to make an announcement? Many of the transfers this cycle announced quicker than i had anticipated. I know it has been only 3 days but do we think this might play out longer or shorter?
    Yes

I would assume the sooner the better for us.

Did our insiders know Duke would be interested when they expressed confidence in Andrew being a Zag?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    I would assume the sooner the better for us.

Did our insiders know Duke would be interested when they expressed confidence in Andrew being a Zag?
    Yes - I agree with that assessment. I definitely think if it does take longer that does not bode well for GU. I was hoping given that we were so close the last time before he chose Florida, he has taken a visit to GU but has not to Duke so we seem to be fairly far ahead, the fact we are trying to recruit his younger brother, our success with sit out transfers like BC, NWG, J3, and KW, and our style of play fitting so well his style of play - he would commit to Gonzaga or give some strong indication about now. Perhaps that is unrealistic but quite frankly I sort of thought this was as close to a slam dunk as it comes. Now Duke shows interest and make a big push for him and i always get nervous when Duke comes calling more than just about any other program. Can we come close but not be able to seal the deal twice in a row? I sure hope not.

Yes - I agree with that assessment. I definitely think if it does take longer that does not bode well for GU. I was hoping given that we were so close the last time before he chose Florida, he has taken a visit to GU but has not to Duke so we seem to be fairly far ahead, the fact we are trying to recruit his younger brother, our success with sit out transfers like BC, NWG, J3, and KW, and our style of play fitting so well his style of play - he would commit to Gonzaga or give some strong indication about now. Perhaps that is unrealistic but quite frankly I sort of thought this was as close to a slam dunk as it comes. Now Duke shows interest and make a big push for him and i always get nervous when Duke comes calling more than just about any other program. Can we come close but not be able to seal the deal twice in a row? I sure hope not.
    He committed to Florida the weekend before his scheduled visit to GU. Hopefully the recruitment of his brother helps us as well.

Quote Originally Posted by harryzag View Post
    He committed to Florida the weekend before his scheduled visit to GU. Hopefully the recruitment of his brother helps us as well.
    harryzag - Yes - right you are. I knew he committed just before Kraziness but I thought he had visited on an unofficial basis but I don't think so. It does not lessen the fact that we all know that it would be a win-win if he chose Gonzaga as the school over anybody else.

https://balldurham.com/2020/06/02/an...ke-basketball/

I know this is from a Duke favored publication but it is these types of articles that make me nervous. I think it will come down to GU versus Duke.

I know this is from a Duke favored publication but it is these types of articles that make me nervous. I think it will come down to GU versus Duke.
    Wow, what a worthless article....

Our case is just as strong as Duke's imo. While Duke may seem like a more glamorous program, we have vast experience in sit out transfer development and transfers in general. Whereas Duke just landed their first grad transfer in program history this season. As for the timing of this, incoming freshman and other players will be back on GU's campus for workouts on June 15, so he would ideally be ready to go to campus by then.

That article actually made me feel better about Andrew picking GU over Duke.

“If Nembhard can improve as a 3-point shooter, 32.7 percent in his career at Florida, he has the size to potentially play shooting guard at Duke as the Blue Devils are the leader for Class of 2021 point guard Kennedy Chandler.”

First of all, I highly doubt that Duke is selling him on the idea of being a SG. Even if he could pull it off in college, it’s obvious that his only chance of making it to the NBA is by showcasing his PG skills rather than his SG skills.

I also am unsure that Duke is actually the leader for Kennedy, BUT what I do feel is very likely is that even if Andrew goes to Duke, the chances are very high that Duke will recruit a higher ranked, flashier point guard for 2021.

Even if Duke tells Andrew that they wouldn’t do that, articles like this and past history should show Andrew that they won’t hesitate to recruit over him. Ask Boogie Ellis.

Gonzaga on the other hand has the recent history of clearing the path for Jalen, and of course giving Nigel the ability to lead the team as his own after waiting for a year. Exactly like Andrew will do.

Seems to me, if he agreed to come to Gonzaga, we would be willing to guarantee that the PG position is his in 2021. Duke will absolutely recruit elite freshmen and would have no issue recruiting a blue chip freshman PG for 2021.

Yeah, turn one of the finest point guards out there into a catch and shoot guy, good thinking Duke.

Andrew has played some ball with three X GU players in the Canadian National team.

He was backup for KP for most of the practice games for the World Championships last year and both played in China.

I would think that what also would play out to GU's advantage is that both Wiltjer and Olynyk benefitted greatly from a redshirt year at GU.

Both were able to learn how to get the best use of their body during that time.

If one of the concerns about Andrew is his speed then he will be able to get help from the same staff that those players did.

The other leverage point is that he would be re-united with Filip who he played with in high school.

Outrecruiting Koach for a top prospect would be Mt Olympus for Zags. And please, don’t give me the Karno alleged enticement.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    Andrew has played some ball with three X GU players in the Canadian National team.

He was backup for KP for most of the practice games for the World Championships last year and both played in China.

I would think that what also would play out to GU's advantage is that both Wiltjer and Olynyk benefitted greatly from a redshirt year at GU.

Both were able to learn how to get the best use of their body during that time.

If one of the concerns about Andrew is his speed then he will be able to get help from the same staff that those players did.

The other leverage point is that he would be re-united with Filip who he played with in high school.
    you don’t suppose all 3have called him!!???

https://www.si.com/college/florida/b...-landing-spots

This article would go against everything we have been led to believe. It suggests that Oregon and UCLA are the most likely landing spots for Nembhard. My head is spinning.

This article would go against everything we have been led to believe. It suggests that Oregon and UCLA are the most likely landing spots for Nembhard. My head is spinning.
    That article (thanks for sharing it) didnít move the needle much for me. It seems that the article assumed Suggs would be here in two years. They also forget that Josh and Goss were able to share the ball in the backcourt (Perkins was a very unselfish player and he might have been the reason it worked, but the president for a 2 PG backcourt has been set here and elsewhere). UCLA and Oregon seem to get the nod because they are the most desperate.

I like our chances of any of those four, on paper, not knowing what his thoughts of GU are (he turned us down before, but I donít think there was a path to immediate playing time). As far as filling a need and offensive fit, it makes a ton of sense for him to choose GU.

But who cares where this author thinks the best landing spot is? This article is written by a student at Florida. I'm not convinced by the arguments in either of these articles you've linked. I'm also not going to be too surprised if he goes elsewhere with the choices he has available to him. I hope he comes here, but if he doesn't it'll be ok.

Two sketchy PAC 12 programs. Hmmmm.

That article is a joke. Based on playing time, we would have a HUGE opening for PT for him after he sits out a year as there is very little chance that Suggs is here after his Freshman year.

I was looking at Nembhard and NWG stats for their first 2 seasons and their are many similarities. First up, both were 5 star recruits, and both have Good size for the position, but not that truly elite athleticism. Both started every game as freshmen and sophomores (67 for AN, 62 for NWG), AN played 33 mpg, NWG 35 mpg, shooting % was close AN 48.8 on 2's, 32.7 on 3's, and 77.0 on FT, compared to 49.4, 30.7, and 74.4 for NWG. NWG averaged 14.5 pts and 4.5 rebs compared to 9.5 and 2.9 for AN, but AN had better assist to turnover at 5.5/2.3, compared to 5.1/2.9 for NWG. NWG seems more a scorer, AN more a distributor. Not sure AN would reach NWG level, but I'd really like to see what the staff could do with him in a redshirt season.

Adam Zagoria on Twitter says: ď Hearing buzz for Duke and Gonzaga with Florida transfer Andrew Nembhard. Nothing immediate is expected though.Ē

Nothing immediate expected... looks like weíll be waiting a bit longer.