Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Um, Whitworth, may we have a word with you?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utsalady Bay
    Posts
    5,069

    Default Um, Whitworth, may we have a word with you?

    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

    Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    2,144

    Default

    From one of the media guys on Twitter:

    Karthik Venkataraman
    @KREMKarthik

    Today Spokane County Commissioners are going to name Whitworth “Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team”.


    WSU AD Pat Chun said this past season WSU is the best basketball team in Washington no matter what anyone says.


    Gonzaga doesn’t exist.
    Karthik Venkataraman
    @KREMKarthik
    ·
    1h
    So I just got word from Spokane County spokesperson Jared Webley that Whitworth WON’T be recognized as “Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team”. Thread below.
    Karthik Venkataraman
    @KREMKarthik
    ·
    1h
    A draft had been mocked up by both Whitworth and the county to recognize the Pirates as “Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team”. The county edited it and meant to send a copy that they would just recognize Whitworth for their accomplishments this season. But... Whitworth was sent an incorrect draft stating they would be recognized as “Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team” instead when that was never going to be the case. So that’s what happened. There will be no such recognition for any school.

    Still no word on if Gonzaga exists.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    307

    Default

    From the article:

    Webley said they would never point out one team specifically considering there are several other prestigious basketball teams across the county. Gonzaga University and Eastern Washington University both have successful men’s basketball teams.

    I guess that's one way to describe it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    When I first saw this on twitter (from KXLY) I thought to myself that Spokane Falls CC must have been a close 2nd ... and I was hopeful that our Zags would at least be a solid 3rd.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpcGNCU944

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10,183

    Default

    By what metric is EWU successful (per the article)? Overall losing record in conference games, only 4 regular season conference championships and only 2 NCAA Tourney appearances. 12 20 win seasons since 1950, only 4 since 2000. If that is successful, the bar is set really, really low.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    By what metric is EWU successful (per the article)? Overall losing record in conference games, only 4 regular season conference championships and only 2 NCAA Tourney appearances. 12 20 win seasons since 1950, only 4 since 2000. If that is successful, the bar is set really, really low.
    In 1990 the Chicago Bulls played Cleveland and Michael Jordan went off and scored 69 points. He also had 18 boards, six assists and four steals. A game for the ages.

    After the game, Stacey King, a Bulls rookie, marveled that "I’ll always remember this as the night that Michael Jordan and I combined to score 70." King scored one point.

    For some reason this story seemed apropos when discussing the relative accomplishments of Spokane County's collegiate basketball programs. Just think about it and let's be real. Over the past two decades, the Gonzaga, EWU, and Whitworth hoops teams have combined for 24 bids to the big dance and have collectively advanced to 9 Sweet 16s, 3 elite 8s and a Final Four.

    I fully support the effort to recognize Whitworth and EWU hoops. I propose we name them the "Stacey King/Spokane County Men's Basketball Team."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    In 1990 the Chicago Bulls played Cleveland and Michael Jordan went off and scored 69 points. He also had 18 boards, six assists and four steals. A game for the ages.

    After the game, Stacey King, a Bulls rookie, marveled that "I’ll always remember this as the night that Michael Jordan and I combined to score 70." King scored one point.

    For some reason this story seemed apropos when discussing the relative accomplishments of Spokane County's collegiate basketball programs. Just think about it and let's be real. Over the past two decades, the Gonzaga, EWU, and Whitworth hoops teams have combined for 24 bids to the big dance and have collectively advanced to 9 Sweet 16s, 3 elite 8s and a Final Four.

    I fully support the effort to recognize Whitworth and EWU hoops. I propose we name them the "Stacey King/Spokane County Men's Basketball Team."
    Whitworth is not D1.

    They play in the post season almost every year, just a lower division.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pleasanton, California
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    When I first saw this on twitter (from KXLY) I thought to myself that Spokane Falls CC must have been a close 2nd ... and I was hopeful that our Zags would at least be a solid 3rd.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpcGNCU944
    Yes... I, too, was hoping for at least a Bronze ��

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    By what metric is EWU successful (per the article)? Overall losing record in conference games, only 4 regular season conference championships and only 2 NCAA Tourney appearances. 12 20 win seasons since 1950, only 4 since 2000. If that is successful, the bar is set really, really low.
    Gosh, seacat... IMHO Webley was simply being PC. I seriously doubt there were any real basketball stats involved in his Spokane-region comment.

  10. #10

    Default

    I'm a Whitworth undergraduate graduate and suited up for the Pirates years ago. Whitworth is a NCAA D3 school, and one of the most successful ones in the nation. In football, basketball, swimming, track and field, and other sports.

    They have had a stellar basketball program at least over the last decade.

    Whitworth had several other accomplishments during that decade:

    Nine NCAA Division III tournament appearances
    One Elite 8 and four Sweet 16 appearances
    Seven regular season Northwest Conference titles
    Seven Northwest Conference tournament championships
    Six Northwest Conference Players of the Year
    Five Division III All-Americans (either NABC or D3hoops.com), including the 2011 NCAA Division III Player of the Year (Michael Taylor)
    Ten All-West Region honorees
    A home record of 131-16 (.891)

    Top Ten Winningest Men's Basketball Programs in the Decade, by Winning Percentage [for all divisions]:

    .895, West Liberty D-II, 298-35
    .874, Lincoln Memorial D-II, 284-41
    .858, Gonzaga D-I, 308-51
    .851, Whitworth D-III, 245-43

    Not saying by a measure that they are Spokane County's team, but as a non scholarship Division III school, they are spectacularly successful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,534

    Default

    What’s their NCAA tournament record? I don’t remember

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Time to settle this on the court

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,793

    Default

    Maybe THE Spokane’s Men’s Basketball Team

    Nope. Sounds just as bad as I thought it would. Sorry Buckeyes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    I'm a Whitworth undergraduate graduate and suited up for the Pirates years ago. Whitworth is a NCAA D3 school, and one of the most successful ones in the nation. In football, basketball, swimming, track and field, and other sports.

    They have had a stellar basketball program at least over the last decade.

    Whitworth had several other accomplishments during that decade:

    Nine NCAA Division III tournament appearances
    One Elite 8 and four Sweet 16 appearances
    Seven regular season Northwest Conference titles
    Seven Northwest Conference tournament championships
    Six Northwest Conference Players of the Year
    Five Division III All-Americans (either NABC or D3hoops.com), including the 2011 NCAA Division III Player of the Year (Michael Taylor)
    Ten All-West Region honorees
    A home record of 131-16 (.891)

    Top Ten Winningest Men's Basketball Programs in the Decade, by Winning Percentage [for all divisions]:

    .895, West Liberty D-II, 298-35
    .874, Lincoln Memorial D-II, 284-41
    .858, Gonzaga D-I, 308-51
    .851, Whitworth D-III, 245-43

    Not saying by a measure that they are Spokane County's team, but as a non scholarship Division III school, they are spectacularly successful.
    You know what? Thanks for posting this. I was ignorant of every single one of these facts. And I am ashamed that I belittled Whitworth. And I am happy to admit it. I support student athletes at all levels and these accomplishments deserve respect. I am sorry that my own zeal as a Zag fan blinded me to this. As a Division III school Whitworth has acquitted itself admirably based on what you have shared and I, for one, am one Zag who tips my cap and is not at all ashamed to admit I was wrong to have been perhaps arrogant and condescending in my ignorance here.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,424

    Default

    Whitworth isn't even in Spokane.

    Oh nevermind, I missed the part about it being county not city.
    Bring back the OCC

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    Time to settle this on the court
    Agreed, but to make it a little more fair, only with non scholarship players.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    You know what? Thanks for posting this. I was ignorant of every single one of these facts. And I am ashamed that I belittled Whitworth. And I am happy to admit it. I support student athletes at all levels and these accomplishments deserve respect. I am sorry that my own zeal as a Zag fan blinded me to this. As a Division III school Whitworth has acquitted itself admirably based on what you have shared and I, for one, am one Zag who tips my cap and is not at all ashamed to admit I was wrong to have been perhaps arrogant and condescending in my ignorance here.
    Don't get me wrong. Been a huge Gonzaga fan for the last 25 years. I do some video work for Whitworth's athletic department among others, and have been on the sidelines for football and court side for basketball at Whitworth for about the last 12 years.

    Like all teams with a winning tradition, Whitworth plays hard and to win. They fill their fieldhouse and footballs stands for every home game, and travel decently.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,534

    Default

    It’s a great school. They’ve much with less... all kidding aside.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Why not let them have it? It doesn't hurt us, and it helps them. Donavan Mitchell doesn't complain when a high-school gets named "Mr. Basketball."
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,522

    Default

    Big companies pay Congress to declare that July is "National Pickle Month" also. I view it the same way. Marketing is marketing, and it's just silly when government gets involved.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Big companies pay Congress to declare that July is "National Pickle Month" also. I view it the same way. Marketing is marketing, and it's just silly when government gets involved.
    This! Good to see recognition for the accomplishments of another small school from Spokane. Gonzaga is clearly one of the top 15 college basketball programs(I’d say top 10 is justifiable, and top 5 if drunk. Number 1 in my heart). The Zags have really transcended more than perhaps any program in college basketball history. I don’t think Whitworth is any level of real challenge to the hearts of the city of Spokane, so if one of their people want to try and become the official basketball team of the Spokane County, I don’t think it affects the Zags and their trajectory of continued success.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,591

    Default

    Thanks daskim.


    Yeah, Whitworth can play.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    You know what? Thanks for posting this. I was ignorant of every single one of these facts. And I am ashamed that I belittled Whitworth. And I am happy to admit it. I support student athletes at all levels and these accomplishments deserve respect. I am sorry that my own zeal as a Zag fan blinded me to this. As a Division III school Whitworth has acquitted itself admirably based on what you have shared and I, for one, am one Zag who tips my cap and is not at all ashamed to admit I was wrong to have been perhaps arrogant and condescending in my ignorance here.
    I don't have any association with Whitworth, but the times I lived in Spokane, whenever I checked the forecast and saw sun and 50-60 degrees on Saturday, I immediately looked to see if I could find a way to work in an afternoon Whitworth football game. It is an absolute gorgeous experience, perfect crisp weather, beautiful trees surrounding the place, feels so friendly, good popcorn, and it's not a 90 minute drive to Pullman - even though Pullman is just as good once you're there.

    My daughter also took [expensive] swim lessons there after we heard that swim lessons at Gonzaga were limited to children of Gonzaga staff, professors, and students. The Whitworth pool is fine, it's just a 50 minute drive from the South Hill.

    This concludes my knowledge of Whitworth.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,163

    Default

    Maybe Whitworth SHOULD be Spokane's team. After all, Gonzaga is Washington's team!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Maybe Whitworth SHOULD be Spokane's team. After all, Gonzaga is Washington's team!
    Gonzaga is America's Team!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •