• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrooner
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

#1 in ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 today

Gonzaga moves to the top spot after a few more weeks of comparing rosters, as the Bulldogs are likely to have the best combination of talent, balance, versatility and depth in college basketball next season. Coach Mark Few does have to wait for NBA draft decisions from Joel Ayayi, Corey Kispert and Filip Petrusev, but the rumors of star freshman Jalen Suggs going overseas or playing in the G League have quieted down. Petrusev earned WCC Player of the Year honors, Kispert was a first-team all-conference selection and Ayayi brings a little bit of everything. Suggs was a top-five recruit. Assuming those four are in the fold next season -- and they all should be -- Gonzaga will enter the 2020-21 season at No. 1. There are very few potential issues in terms of personnel. The additions of Suggs, fellow freshman Dominick Harris and Southern Illinois graduate transfer Aaron Cook give Few plenty of ballhandling options in the backcourt, while a return to health from Anton Watson and a potential breakout season from Drew Timme bolster the frontcourt.

Projected starting lineup:

Jalen Suggs (No. 5 in ESPN 100)
    Joel Ayayi (10.6 PPG, 6.3 RPG)
    Corey Kispert (13.9 PPG)
    Drew Timme (9.8 PPG, 5.4 RPG)
    Filip Petrusev (17.5 PPG, 7.9 RPG)
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Cool.

So glad they referenced Anton Watson.

But they don't mention the guy (Oumar Ballo) who some in the program believe is Gonzaga's best big (at least the Zag with the highest upside).
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• zagbeliever
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Jan 2013

Bench depth (barring injuries) will be no problem this year. Can't wait.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by zagbeliever View Post
        Bench depth will be a problem next year with the current group. Few hasn't run a 10-man rotation in years and it's at least a 10-man rotation even if Zakharov and Arlauskas don't make it to the rotation. It will work it self out (as always) but it will mean players leaving and red-shirting.

It's a good problem to have.
        The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• Markburn1
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by zagbeliever View Post
          That is correct.

One of the things that has always annoyed me is the very few references to one of the most positive aspects about depth.

Practice.

Steel sharpens steel.

Imagine practicing everyday against a team that is likely to be better than most of your opponents.

Geez, I hope to see the Zags play this year.

Comment

• zagbeliever
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
            That is correct.

One of the things that has always annoyed me is the very few references to one of the most positive aspects about depth.

Practice.

Steel sharpens steel.

Imagine practicing everyday against a team that is likely to be better than most of your opponents.

Geez, I hope to see the Zags play this year.
            Those practices get serious too! I heard David Stockton talking about practice (on Rob Sacre's podcast) against Meech and how he waited for an opportunity to pay him back for a hard hit or something. This year should be like practicing against another #1 team. I also hope games are open to fans. Go ZAGS!

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
              Bench depth will be a problem next year with the current group. Few hasn't run a 10-man rotation in years and it's at least a 10-man rotation even if Zakharov and Arlauskas don't make it to the rotation. It will work it self out (as always) but it will mean players leaving and red-shirting.

"Swen Erick Nater (born January 14, 1950) is a Dutch retired professional basketball player, primarily in the American Basketball Association (ABA) and National Basketball Association (NBA). He is the only player to have led both the NBA and ABA in rebounding.

Nater helped John Wooden's UCLA Bruins win two NCAA titles. He was a backup to Bill Walton, and averaged just 3.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game as a senior. He never started a collegiate game—his primary role was helping to develop Walton in practice."

I see you tinfoil. Legitimate point.

My point concerning Nater is that practicing against NBA caliber players can get you a contract in the NBA or at the very least a European gig. Something to consider.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2009

"Swen Erick Nater (born January 14, 1950) is a Dutch retired professional basketball player, primarily in the American Basketball Association (ABA) and National Basketball Association (NBA). He is the only player to have led both the NBA and ABA in rebounding.

Nater helped John Wooden's UCLA Bruins win two NCAA titles. He was a backup to Bill Walton, and averaged just 3.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game as a senior. He never started a collegiate game—his primary role was helping to develop Walton in practice."

My point concerning Nater is that practicing against NBA caliber players can get you a contract in the NBA or at the very least a European gig. Something to consider.
                Like the example you used, GU might be the only place this can work consistently. It takes a lot of discipline as a top 60 recruit in 2020 to decide that you are going invest a year or two and barely see prime time minutes when you could be starting out of the gate in a Power conference (on a lesser team of course).

Is there such a thing as 2-and-dones or reshrit-and-dones because GU is a boot camp for pros.
                The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• gbnyba17
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Jan 2008

Lots to be excited about for the upcoming year. I think we're a top 5 team even if Suggs were to go to G-league or professional elsewhere, maybe top 3. That is assuming Petro, Kispert, and Ayayi all come back, which I think is about 95% odds. Great time to be a Zag. I really hope Suggs comes. He's the dynamic talent we need in the back court that would put us over the top and make us the clear front runner for a NC (in my opinion).

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by gbnyba17 View Post
                    Lots to be excited about for the upcoming year. I think we're a top 5 team even if Suggs were to go to G-league or professional elsewhere, maybe top 3. That is assuming Petro, Kispert, and Ayayi all come back, which I think is about 95% odds. Great time to be a Zag. I really hope Suggs comes. He's the dynamic talent we need in the back court that would put us over the top and make us the clear front runner for a NC (in my opinion).
                    I dont see any reason now to believe that Suggs will be anywhere but Spokane in the Fall. Outside of this pandemic cancelling classes.

Comment

• gbnyba17
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                      I dont see any reason now to believe that Suggs will be anywhere but Spokane in the Fall. Outside of this pandemic cancelling classes.
                      Agreed, but still a lot of uncertainty with COVID. I could see a scenario where the college bball season isn't a lock so he decides, "to hell with it, I'll go play professionally for a year and get paid before heading to the NBA the following year."

Comment

• buenaparkzag
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Jan 2011

I love it.
                        Outstanding!
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• jsnider
                          Kennel Club
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by gbnyba17 View Post
                          gbnyba - I agree with you that there is a lot to be excited about for the upcoming year. I have gone so far as to say that we could be playing the last weekend with the telent, depth, and coaching with this team. But that is predicated on our 3 guys coming back. I've seen the mock drafts and our guys are not highly ranked. But I am curious what you might know that gives you a 95% probability that all 3 come back. the upcoming season can be very special if that happens. Thanks
                          Love the Zags!!!

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

Walton use to say that the 2nd best center in college his senior year was Nater and played against him every practice...this probably attributed much to Walton's developing into a GREAT college player and pro...

Comment

• Bogozags
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post

Not sure I can agree with you regarding players leaving and possibly red-shirting...I'm quite positive that Joel, Ballo, Filip and Suggs will be gone after next season and possibly Watson and Timme so that would leave the bench pretty bare...that will mean that 7 of our top 10 players (and SR's Cook & Kispert) could be gone...I'm hoping Watson and Timme return for their junior year that will give us needed experience with Harris, Strawther, Arlauskas and Zakharov to join them in the rotation.

Comment

Working...
                              X