X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LTownZag
    Banned
    • Mar 2017

The incubation period isn't just a uniform 7 days. The median is 4-5, and 97% of people who will be symptomatic are experiencing symptoms by 11 days.

But even that is irrelevant, or not particularly helpful at knowing if the infected number (overall contagion) is growing or shrinking. Since we aren't doing wide scale testing and don't have randomized sample tests or convenient and free/cheap tests, the best indicator of the trajectory of the virus is basically how many people die 20-25days from a given date.

That obviously makes it very hard to know what is going on today, but such is life in a society without wider scale testing.

There is some evidence for updated daily changes by looking at the percent of tests that come back positive. Just keep in mind that the overall number of tests has been growing, and the population getting tested isn't a random sampling.

I think we will actually start to definitively know the effects of a given major change in society about 25 days after that change, based on deaths. (Maybe 2 weeks after if one had access to hospital and hospital ICU admit numbers). Outdoor events seem far far safer than indoor, so I hope the nice weather will be enjoyed safely by all.

Comment

• ZagDad84
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2014

For the Spokane Residents:

An outbreak of coronavirus cases at a food processing plant in Washington state has put a temporary halt to Clark County's plans to enter phase 2 of the state's reopening plan. According to Clark County Public Health, 38 workers at Firestone Pacific Foods in Vancouver have tested positive for COVID-19 so far.
      As of today, Philadelphia Macaroni has 31 confirmed cases.

Nothing to do with the transition to Phase 2, but if they put a temporary halt to Clark County's transition to Phase 2, it could happen here.

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
        That's what I kept thinking as I've been seeing reports about spikes in confirmed cases. It would've had to have been instantaneous in order to blame it on moving to phase 2 in some places. As usual, seems like there is an agenda at play in what is being reported.
        A totally incorrect assumption that just because their is a rise in the confirmed Covid-19 case numbers, that myself and others are blaming it on Phase 2. I am well aware of the incubation period and I certainly am not blaming the rise in numbers on Phase 2.

My "agenda" is that in the last couple of weeks, there has been a noticeable increase in people on the road, in hardware/garden stores, grocery stores, Costco, etc and the percentage of people not wearing masks and maintaining social distancing has been on the rise. I fully expected to see a rise in the numbers of confirmed cases before Phase 2 was implemented (now confirmed), just by looking at the number of people on the streets and in the stores. We have seen 3 straight days of double digit increases (not including the 31 cases at Philadelphia Macaroni) in confirmed cases when we did not have a single double digit day in confirmed new cases since April 24. We have already begun backsliding before Phase 2 has even been implemented. Most people expect the number daily confirmed cases, at least initially, to increase under Phase 2.

As an example, went to our favorite Chinese Restaurant for take-out last night. When picking up our take-out, the staff person was not wearing a mask or gloves and the other four people waiting for food were not wearing a mask or maintain social distancing. The only person wearing a mask was my wife. No more Chinese food from this restaurant until this is take care of, but the same sort of attitude is being shown at the lawn and garden centers, the mailbox centers, etc. There is a lot of people, IMO, who are not taking this pandemic very seriously, and we can very easily be in limbo until a vaccine is found.

Obviously it is not good to start Phase 2 when your daily number of confirmed cases is already on the rise.

Fortunately LtownZag, this is Spokane and not NYC, so hopefully we are not waiting for people to die before we realize we have a problem.

As Cavebear said above. We will keep our fingers crossed, that Spokanites (businesses and patrons) get it figured out, because where we go is in their hands. IMO, I have only a little hope that we will be able to stay in Phase 2 let alone progress to Phase 3. I would be very happy to be proved wrong, but let's give it another 3-4 weeks and see where we stand.

Stay safe everyone, and well wishes to you and your family.

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

My apologies ZagDad, I meant official reporting from media, I wasn't referring to you or making assumptions about what your train of thought is.

Comment

• sylean
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2010

the most important data is how many need to be in the hospital for severe covid symptoms.....presently, the covid inpatient numbers are very very low....and have been

if 30 people get covid at the Macaroni plant but don't get really sick , its a good sign....

the virus does not just go away....its here....it will weaken and more people will become immune or resistant to it.....

so If one has many health issues, I'd self isolate......its up to that person....stay away from large church gatherings...from malls....etc....

I've thought from the beginning that the wrong people were lockdowned....

Comment

• SkipZag
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2015

Many good thoughts...

We live every day in a world of compromising diseases. Everyone deals with them in different ways...
              Just on this post we have seen difference in opinion and how to deal with Covid-19. And all probably are just fine for themselves and loved ones.

As for the Macaroni plant... many tested positive... question is how many are showing symptoms now or will be. As in other viruses... how it effects people are different. As many have said, wear masks to protect others.

Food for thought... in California, their suicide attempts in the last four weeks have equaled a years worth.

Hopefully with the flu/cold season coming to an end, things will move forward in a positive way.

Time to start enjoying live in a safe and productive way...

Go Zags!!

Comment

• seacatfan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by SkipZag View Post
                Food for thought... in California, their suicide attempts in the last four weeks have equaled a years worth.
                I'd seen that as well. The lock down has had massive impacts, well beyond just the financial. Depression and domestic abuse are both spiking as well during this time I've heard.

Comment

• sylean
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2010

I just want for there to be a season...

for fans of womens bb, where we can, we're all going to probably have to step up a bit in our contributions. thank God for title nine....they can't just erase womens programs with a snap of their fingers....

maybe a good side effect if the Cali/oregon schools won't play is that we can get some new teams back east to play in OOC....maybe we can play some big time OOC teams and fewer WCC teams and our metric will be significantly increase..

there are so many ramifications with this covid....

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2016

Heads up Lady Zags we just got another commitment Calli Stokes out of California, looks to be a 5'11" forward out of California. Has some injury history, Calli is a 2021 Commit, will be a Senior next year. Welcome to the Lady Zags Calli Stokes.

Comment

• Bigfooot
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Jan 2020

NCAA Won't Mandate Uniform Return to College Sports

As we start to open up...You do You, I'll do me. That's what America's about. None of us have the same circumstances (medically high risk child/family member or a business about to go under, etc.). Let's all stay in our own lanes and keep the judgment down as we begin to reopen. No one should feel pressured either way.
                      Just a thought...As governors are trying to figure out how to ease back into normal, please remember:

[emoji1630] Some people don’t agree with the state opening...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      [emoji537] Some people are still planning to stay home...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      [emoji3083] Some are still scared of getting the virus and a second wave happening...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      [emoji383] Some are sighing with relief to go back to work knowing they may not lose their business or their homes...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      [emoji1798]Some are thankful they can finally have a surgery they have put off...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      [emoji404] Some will be able to attend interviews after weeks without a job...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      [emoji40] Some will wear masks for weeks...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      [emoji1330] Some people will rush out to get their hair or nails done...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      [emoji3590] The point is, everyone has different viewpoints/feelings and that’s okay. Be Kind.
                      We each have a different story. If you need to stay home, stay home...But Be Kind .
                      If you need to go out, just respect others when in public and Be Kind!

Don’t judge fellow humans because you’re not in their story. We all are in different mental states than we were months ago. So remember, Be Kind.[emoji173]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Bigfooot; 05-25-2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Bigfooot View Post
                        From CLF I think this sums it up. [emoji1303]

As we start to open up...You do You, I'll do me. That's what America's about. None of us have the same circumstances (medically high risk child/family member or a business about to go under, etc.). Let's all stay in our own lanes and keep the judgment down as we begin to reopen. No one should feel pressured either way.
                        Just a thought...As governors are trying to figure out how to ease back into normal, please remember:

[emoji1630] Some people don’t agree with the state opening...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        [emoji537] Some people are still planning to stay home...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        [emoji3083] Some are still scared of getting the virus and a second wave happening...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        [emoji383] Some are sighing with relief to go back to work knowing they may not lose their business or their homes...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        [emoji1798]Some are thankful they can finally have a surgery they have put off...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        [emoji404] Some will be able to attend interviews after weeks without a job...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        [emoji40] Some will wear masks for weeks...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        [emoji1330] Some people will rush out to get their hair or nails done...that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        [emoji3590] The point is, everyone has different viewpoints/feelings and that’s okay. Be Kind.
                        We each have a different story. If you need to stay home, stay home...But Be Kind .
                        If you need to go out, just respect others when in public and Be Kind!

Don’t judge fellow humans because you’re not in their story. We all are in different mental states than we were months ago. So remember, Be Kind.[emoji173]

From the Covid Discussion:
                        "bballbeachbum's Avatarbballbeachbum bballbeachbum is offline
                        Zag for Life

re. masks, I wear one to protect my fellow citizens, not to protect myself; I wear it so I don't spread it if I have it, not so I don't get it. The data is pretty clear on that. So when folks are out in those situations with no mask, they aren't being brave and risking their own health, lol; they are putting others at risk with fake bravado.

Let's say I think my freedom includes driving 100mph, but since it endangers the freedoms of others, there are restrictions on my speed. Same with driving drunk. Same with polluting waterways up river; if my freedoms put others at risk, there are restrictions. It's not a new thought. I can't just go grab a woman to express my freedom becasue it infringes on hers. I could literally go on and on.

But the leadership on this was so divisive that not wearing a mask is somehow about freedom...what a sad joke. reveals a basic lack of understanding about why to wear a mask seems to me, and the total politicization of it.

and before you start, I've been for reopening for some time...but not stupid and uninformed as if this is about freedom. Is freedom ordering meat plant workers back to infested sites? Is it authorizing warrantless spying on US citizens? Now that stuff is about freedom in my humble opinion"

We are all in different circumstances, but the only reason for not willingly wearing a mask is if you have a medical reason.

Wearing a mask protects others in case you don't know if you are infected. No matter what your circumstances are, barring a medical condition, not wearing a mask in public is offensive to me, and a threat to thousands of others.
                        If you doing you is a threat to thousands because of a selfish or vain reason to not wear a mask, I disagree with what you have said completely.
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Bigfooot
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Jan 2020

I do understand that wearing a mask protects you and not me.

This virus will not just go away. We either need a vaccine or immunity to it.

Last edited by Bigfooot; 05-25-2020, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Bigfooot View Post
                            Willandi I am just reposting what CLF said and I agree with it.

I do understand that wearing a mask protects you and not me.

This virus will not just go away. We either need a vaccine or immunity to it.

I disagree with what CLF said. We can't have you do you and i'll do me. That will just help the virus spread.

We need to We'll do Us. All together is the only way to beat this. The chain and the weakest link analogy, unless people are willing to sacrifice many of our elderly.
                            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Bigfooot
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Jan 2020

And that is perfectly fine. All that is being said is to be kind to everyone.

You are not going to change everyone’s mind to what you think. Not matter what you think is the best way.

So instead just be kind.

Last edited by Bigfooot; 05-25-2020, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• sylean
                                Zag for Life
                                • Mar 2010

people, no one is being denied the right to stay at home and keep others away.....if you are high risk, like me for instance, you choose what you want to do....if you don't leave the house and don't take visitors, you are safe....so why gripe what others are doing?...your fate is in your hands...

has anybody seen the suicide rate lately?...does anybody really care that millions are out of work, hopeless, losing entire businesses, postponing weddings and funerals alike, desparation setting in?...

just stay home if you are afraid....isolate the vulnerable....

again, a MILLION people died in the world from the Hong Kong flu back in the late 60's and woodstock and the moon walk and all that took place without a blink of the eye....can't say I even remember it, of course I was very young...

Comment

Working...
                                X