Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCAA Won't Mandate Uniform Return to College Sports

ZagDad, I like and endorse your definition of idiocy. Too many people are still taking this far too lightly. Seeing the actions of many of our fellow citizens, I fear there will be a second wave, which will be worse in some sections of the country than others. Spokane and the State of Washington have handled it pretty well so far, let's hope the move to Phase 2 is successful. Keeping my fingers crossed as I want to be in the stands again this fall and winter.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I am sure that there are several on this board that would say that is exactly what it means.

I have nothing but supported the opening of most of the businesses, they need to get back in the game immediately but they have to do it the right way. So nobody should take my position on the Covid-19 issues with keeping the businesses closed, nothing could be further from the truth.

In my definition, any business owners that do not enforce the required social distancing guidelines, putting their staff and customers at risk are covidiots.

People who fail to follow the business's posted social distancing guidelines and argue with the manager, checker, etc. about not needing to follow the social distancing guidelines are covidiots.

People using public transportation who do not practice social distancing are covidiots.

People who argue with, berate, name call, people who are practicing social distancing guidelines are covidiots.

I personally have encountered all of the above covidiots within the last 72 hours here in good old Spokane.

The people of Spokane and the newly opened local businesses will determine if we stay in Phase 2, backslide into Phase 1 or continue on to Phase 3. It is in our hands now and we have nobody to blame but ourselves if we don't advance forward. We are off to a rocky start, let's hope we steady the ship in the next few days and get back on track.

Philadelphia Macaroni is a pasta manufacturing plant located in NE Spokane that makes pasta under a bunch of different labels. Knowing the owner, let's say I would not be surprised.

ZagDad
    Straight talking, sensible and well written. Kudos for posting this, and for giving me an occasion to repost it here.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

I noticed the Base has been the best as far as requiring mask for all inside buildings, if you don't have a mask they will turn you away at the door and has been like that for close to 2 months. Today as I was riding thru my small town population 5,000, noticed 3 additional businesses, were now open to customers. One was a bakery/eating place that had made good seating outside in the front they had started doing takeout only a few weeks back, the other indoor restaurant saw a family of 5 go inside without any masks, also notice a thrift shop reopened up. Good to see small town open up again, but just hope once again the tiny mom and pop places that are desperate for business have the employees and employer wearing masks and taking the proper safety precautions. Have to say also was impressed by some smaller grocery stores like Yokes been really cleaning their grocery carts for a long time.

Well remember your veterans on Memorial Day Weekend, no ceremonies, but keep them in your thoughts. Great timing to starting Phase 2 during Memorial Day Weekend to get our small businesses back and running.

Its good to see the quick activity of people to support these businesses now that they have reopened up.

Update Phil. Macaroni Plant in Spokane now has 31 employees test Positive. They employ a total of 70 people and are awaiting results on employees yet in addition to those their employees have had contact with. So this cluster is quite the project for the new contact tracing team.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; Yesterday at 06:55 PM.

Just to put some more info into this conversation. Covid has a 7 day incubation period. So any numbers that come out for today or yesterday are not related to phase 2. If there is to be a change because of phase 2 we will not see it for about 7 days. Which is why each phase is 2 weeks long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfooot View Post
    Just to put some more info into this conversation. Covid has a 7 day incubation period. So any numbers that come out for today or yesterday are not related to phase 2. If there is to be a change because of phase 2 we will not see it for about 7 days. Which is why each phase is 2 weeks long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I kept thinking as I've been seeing reports about spikes in confirmed cases. It would've had to have been instantaneous in order to blame it on moving to phase 2 in some places. As usual, seems like there is an agenda at play in what is being reported.

The incubation period isn't just a uniform 7 days. The median is 4-5, and 97% of people who will be symptomatic are experiencing symptoms by 11 days.

But even that is irrelevant, or not particularly helpful at knowing if the infected number (overall contagion) is growing or shrinking. Since we aren't doing wide scale testing and don't have randomized sample tests or convenient and free/cheap tests, the best indicator of the trajectory of the virus is basically how many people die 20-25days from a given date.

That obviously makes it very hard to know what is going on today, but such is life in a society without wider scale testing.

There is some evidence for updated daily changes by looking at the percent of tests that come back positive. Just keep in mind that the overall number of tests has been growing, and the population getting tested isn't a random sampling.

I think we will actually start to definitively know the effects of a given major change in society about 25 days after that change, based on deaths. (Maybe 2 weeks after if one had access to hospital and hospital ICU admit numbers). Outdoor events seem far far safer than indoor, so I hope the nice weather will be enjoyed safely by all.

For the Spokane Residents:

An outbreak of coronavirus cases at a food processing plant in Washington state has put a temporary halt to Clark County's plans to enter phase 2 of the state's reopening plan. According to Clark County Public Health, 38 workers at Firestone Pacific Foods in Vancouver have tested positive for COVID-19 so far.
    As of today, Philadelphia Macaroni has 31 confirmed cases.

Nothing to do with the transition to Phase 2, but if they put a temporary halt to Clark County's transition to Phase 2, it could happen here.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    That's what I kept thinking as I've been seeing reports about spikes in confirmed cases. It would've had to have been instantaneous in order to blame it on moving to phase 2 in some places. As usual, seems like there is an agenda at play in what is being reported.
    A totally incorrect assumption that just because their is a rise in the confirmed Covid-19 case numbers, that myself and others are blaming it on Phase 2. I am well aware of the incubation period and I certainly am not blaming the rise in numbers on Phase 2.

My "agenda" is that in the last couple of weeks, there has been a noticeable increase in people on the road, in hardware/garden stores, grocery stores, Costco, etc and the percentage of people not wearing masks and maintaining social distancing has been on the rise. I fully expected to see a rise in the numbers of confirmed cases before Phase 2 was implemented (now confirmed), just by looking at the number of people on the streets and in the stores. We have seen 3 straight days of double digit increases (not including the 31 cases at Philadelphia Macaroni) in confirmed cases when we did not have a single double digit day in confirmed new cases since April 24. We have already begun backsliding before Phase 2 has even been implemented. Most people expect the number daily confirmed cases, at least initially, to increase under Phase 2.

As an example, went to our favorite Chinese Restaurant for take-out last night. When picking up our take-out, the staff person was not wearing a mask or gloves and the other four people waiting for food were not wearing a mask or maintain social distancing. The only person wearing a mask was my wife. No more Chinese food from this restaurant until this is take care of, but the same sort of attitude is being shown at the lawn and garden centers, the mailbox centers, etc. There is a lot of people, IMO, who are not taking this pandemic very seriously, and we can very easily be in limbo until a vaccine is found.

Obviously it is not good to start Phase 2 when your daily number of confirmed cases is already on the rise.

Fortunately LtownZag, this is Spokane and not NYC, so hopefully we are not waiting for people to die before we realize we have a problem.

As Cavebear said above. We will keep our fingers crossed, that Spokanites (businesses and patrons) get it figured out, because where we go is in their hands. IMO, I have only a little hope that we will be able to stay in Phase 2 let alone progress to Phase 3. I would be very happy to be proved wrong, but let's give it another 3-4 weeks and see where we stand.

Stay safe everyone, and well wishes to you and your family.

ZagDad

My apologies ZagDad, I meant official reporting from media, I wasn't referring to you or making assumptions about what your train of thought is.

the most important data is how many need to be in the hospital for severe covid symptoms.....presently, the covid inpatient numbers are very very low....and have been

if 30 people get covid at the Macaroni plant but don't get really sick , its a good sign....

the virus does not just go away....its here....it will weaken and more people will become immune or resistant to it.....

so If one has many health issues, I'd self isolate......its up to that person....stay away from large church gatherings...from malls....etc....

I've thought from the beginning that the wrong people were lockdowned....

Many good thoughts...

We live every day in a world of compromising diseases. Everyone deals with them in different ways...
    Just on this post we have seen difference in opinion and how to deal with Covid-19. And all probably are just fine for themselves and loved ones.

As for the Macaroni plant... many tested positive... question is how many are showing symptoms now or will be. As in other viruses... how it effects people are different. As many have said, wear masks to protect others.

Food for thought... in California, their suicide attempts in the last four weeks have equaled a years worth.

Hopefully with the flu/cold season coming to an end, things will move forward in a positive way.

Time to start enjoying live in a safe and productive way...

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Food for thought... in California, their suicide attempts in the last four weeks have equaled a years worth.
    I'd seen that as well. The lock down has had massive impacts, well beyond just the financial. Depression and domestic abuse are both spiking as well during this time I've heard.

I just want for there to be a season...

for fans of womens bb, where we can, we're all going to probably have to step up a bit in our contributions. thank God for title nine....they can't just erase womens programs with a snap of their fingers....

maybe a good side effect if the Cali/oregon schools won't play is that we can get some new teams back east to play in OOC....maybe we can play some big time OOC teams and fewer WCC teams and our metric will be significantly increase..

there are so many ramifications with this covid....

Heads up Lady Zags we just got another commitment Calli Stokes out of California, looks to be a 5'11" forward out of California. Has some injury history, Calli is a 2021 Commit, will be a Senior next year. Welcome to the Lady Zags Calli Stokes.