Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 331

Thread: NCAA Won't Mandate Uniform Return to College Sports

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,586

    Default

    Arizona and Cal have both had huge influxes of Mexicans and expats coming across the border for treatment....that has added thousands to the covid roll call....

    the virus is doing what a virus does....there will be more viruses...

    we should never ever have shut down the whole country for this.....it was a mistake.....I would have been all for the vulnerable being politely asked to self isolate....that would have prevented some deaths, but not most, since something like 45% of all cases are associated with nursing homes, who were on early lockdown....

    instead we have churches locked down and riots allowed...pot stores open but restaurants barely open...indian casinos open with out mask requirements and schools closed.....no....sense...at...all....



    NYS apparently has just stated that pro sports will have no fans....imagine if that holds college sports will have no fans either.....

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    Arizona and Cal have both had huge influxes of Mexicans and expats coming across the border for treatment....that has added thousands to the covid roll call....

    the virus is doing what a virus does....there will be more viruses...

    we should never ever have shut down the whole country for this.....it was a mistake.....I would have been all for the vulnerable being politely asked to self isolate....that would have prevented some deaths, but not most, since something like 45% of all cases are associated with nursing homes, who were on early lockdown....

    instead we have churches locked down and riots allowed...pot stores open but restaurants barely open...indian casinos open with out mask requirements and schools closed.....no....sense...at...all....



    NYS apparently has just stated that pro sports will have no fans....imagine if that holds college sports will have no fans either.....
    I think you need a different drum to beat Sylean, this one is well worn out.

    ZagDad

  3. #103

    Default

    Florida 10,109 new cases today, Texas 5,692, California 4,191.

    Deaths FL. 64, CA. 38. TX 26 reported today.

    Cases in Spokane over 70 cases 3 of the last 4 days. Those in Hospital from Spokane today 19. The amount with Covid-19 in Spokane hospitals has tripled in the last 2 weeks.

    Well the positives for Covid-19 for ages 20-39 going sky high. We had our first death of a patient 30 years old in Spokane this weekend.

    Even though cases are going through the roof, because the majority of people getting Covid-19 are now 20-39 ages death rate seems to be going down.

  4. #104

    Default

    Florida 9,488 new cases today, Texas 4,933, Arizona 4,433, and California 3,625.

    Florida 68 deaths, California 42 deaths reported today.

    Update on the big 3 Baseball, Basketball, Football and who's doing best fighting Covid-19. Well Michigan Wolverines football really still doing great in training camp, they reported this week out of 89 tested given to players and staff their were 0 positive. NBA who just started their bubble in Florida seems still having a rough go of it, and no wonder in a state that has been averaging 9,000 new cases like the last 4 days? WNBA camp in Florida has been quite perhaps players have not reported in yet.

    MLB pitchers and catchers reported in 1 July, and had their first workout today, sounds like position player officially arrive next perhaps Monday. More excited about MLB than I have been in years, why because I'm starved for sports and I think MLB could do this right especially playing outside.

    Wanted to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July. Also good news Pizer has been reporting good results on a small sample size of 45 people on a Vaccine. Heard some so called experts their could be a Vaccine as early as January 2021 for Covid-19 (wow that would be great).

    I have become so starved for sports that right now my highlight of the week in sports is UFC live on Saturdays.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,586

    Default

    well its good that young people are getting the virus ...should have happened months ago .....I understand that in Alabama the students are grouping up and seeing who will get the virus first.....

    okay that sounds bad, but our parents did it with the measles etc back in the day....get it and get over it....

    I say that as a vulnerable person and can tell you I'm much closer to the covid situation than most...

    I encourage people to get out of their safe zones and read lots and lots of different opinions from doctors, scientists, researchers, etc....stop relying on USA today and Cnn....be brave.....seek answers....stop accepting whatever they feed you...iows....think....


    even NPR is starting to suggest this is way overblown....

    they had Fauci on the other day speaking...with a mask on ...as soon as the camera was supposedly off, he took his mask off as well as one of his attendants....even they don't believe it...

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    well its good that young people are getting the virus ...should have happened months ago .....I understand that in Alabama the students are grouping up and seeing who will get the virus first.....

    okay that sounds bad, but our parents did it with the measles etc back in the day....get it and get over it....

    I say that as a vulnerable person and can tell you I'm much closer to the covid situation than most...

    I encourage people to get out of their safe zones and read lots and lots of different opinions from doctors, scientists, researchers, etc....stop relying on USA today and Cnn....be brave.....seek answers....stop accepting whatever they feed you...iows....think....


    even NPR is starting to suggest this is way overblown....

    they had Fauci on the other day speaking...with a mask on ...as soon as the camera was supposedly off, he took his mask off as well as one of his attendants....even they don't believe it...
    Your approach to this is...is...TERRIFYING! "Then Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them. They don't know what they're doing.' Meanwhile, the soldiers divided his clothes among themselves by throwing dice." Happy soldier, you are.

    Comparing measles to this epidemic is horrifying. WE ACTUALLY HAVE A MEASLES VACCINE!!! The story of Alabama students has already been debunked as false, false, false. Where do you get this misinformation?

    If you are closer to the "Covid situation" than most, then I say to you...treat this illness at your very peril. There have been a large number of people, pastors, and so on that have ignored the science and are now lying comfortably six feet under the ground. I don't wish that on anybody, especially you (although I do worry, because you seem to have thrown caution to the wind). But I do encourage you to be smart for a change.

    Fauci took off his mask for the sole reason that he was distanced. DON'T MAKE IT POLITICAL. He's probably the smartest virologist in the country. Don't dismiss him. He knows far more of the science than YOU.

    I wish you all the best, but your comments are coming from a very ill informed position.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    14,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Your approach to this is...is...TERRIFYING! "Then Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them. They don't know what they're doing.' Meanwhile, the soldiers divided his clothes among themselves by throwing dice." Happy soldier, you are.

    Comparing measles to this epidemic is horrifying. WE ACTUALLY HAVE A MEASLES VACCINE!!! The story of Alabama students has already been debunked as false, false, false. Where do you get this misinformation?

    If you are closer to the "Covid situation" than most, then I say to you...treat this illness at your very peril. There have been a large number of people, pastors, and so on that have ignored the science and are now lying comfortably six feet under the ground. I don't wish that on anybody, especially you (although I do worry, because you seem to have thrown caution to the wind). But I do encourage you to be smart for a change.

    Fauci took off his mask for the sole reason that he was distanced. DON'T MAKE IT POLITICAL. He's probably the smartest virologist in the country. Don't dismiss him. He knows far more of the science than YOU.

    I wish you all the best, but your comments are coming from a very ill informed position.

    Caduceus, thank you for your thoughtful response...Your posts are much appreciated...

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Caduceus,

    Let me second TerpZag.

    Thank you for being the voice of reason on this issue.

    ZagDad84.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Terrifying... okay that caught my attention and I need to comment.

    Caduceus... I’m 70 and if someone should be terrified, it’s me.. and I’m not. And that is okay for me but maybe not for you.
    Life is full of risks... and I will probably take more than you. But those are personal choices. And as for putting others in danger... never.

    As for condemning sylean for her views.... not a fan. She can have her views and thoughts just as you can. I know the last thing sylean would want to do is hurt anyone.

    As for Dr Fauci... yes he is one of the best. But he’s a human and with an ever changing virus, has had to step back on some of his comments.

    And as for being ill informed... please point me to the person that has all the right answers.

    Stay safe...

    Go Zags!!

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Terrifying... okay that caught my attention and I need to comment.

    Caduceus... I’m 70 and if someone should be terrified, it’s me.. and I’m not. And that is okay for me but maybe not for you.
    Life is full of risks... and I will probably take more than you. But those are personal choices. And as for putting others in danger... never.

    As for condemning sylean for her views.... not a fan. She can have her views and thoughts just as you can. I know the last thing sylean would want to do is hurt anyone.

    As for Dr Fauci... yes he is one of the best. But he’s a human and with an ever changing virus, has had to step back on some of his comments.

    And as for being ill informed... please point me to the person that has all the right answers.

    Stay safe...

    Go Zags!!
    I appreciate you expressing your views. I agree that you are not alone in your perspective. I don't know your expertise, but your comments do make it clear that you're probably not trained in a science or medical profession. I'm not condemning her views, but merely trying to inform based upon decades of medical experience. Most of the time, we can argue the studies about caffeine and red wine when the media wants to make a debate. The news stations love to play up the possibility that there's no consensus, and back and forth we go. The medical community in general laughs it off, because most of the time, we know what's true and what's bunk. We read the journals and debate and discuss the articles incessantly. But those issues don't generally involve killing people in mass quantities in such a short time. This is cataclysmic, and for some reason, people have decided to ignore it wholesale. Yes, it is absolutely terrifying because this country just might actually undo all the greatness and prosperity of the last 70 years, and I'm not kidding in any way.

    My colleagues are wholly in despair about what the next weeks and months might bring. They are in fear of making the wrong medical decisions for their patients. They are worried themselves about contracting the illness and dying, or spreading it to their families. They are very afraid we will run out of protective gear even worse than we already have. They're worried about their mental health with all the dying and making life & death decisions about who gets a ventilator or the very few ECMO machines (a last resort that entails a small garden hose snaked up into the heart. I'm not sure Spokane has more than a handful, if any) we have. We are starting to see a MAJOR shortage of testing kits, with results backlogged for a week in some states (Arizona and several others). That means soon we'll be flying blind. I wish we had more news crews inside of ICUs to portray what's happening on the front lines.

    When our healthcare providers get sick and can't do their duties, an extremely dangerous situation arises. There's a long chain of professions to maintain the system -- EMTs, paramedics, ambulance drivers, ER docs, nurses, medical assistants, managers, internists, ICU docs, respiratory therapists, radiology techs, lab staff, social workers, physical therapists, occupational therapists, nutritionists, medical ethicists, infectious disease specialists, hospice workers, etc. The list is much, much larger than I've mentioned. Most people don't even realize the undertaking, and every single bit of these parts need to work, or someone dies or ends up debilitated (and with a million dollar hospital bill in many cases -- ICU care is about $10,000 a day).

    What's happening across the entire southern swath of our country is primarily due to "opening the economy" and Memorial Day close social interactions without recognizing the danger. Now that Independence Day has passed, and with all the parties and crowded bars and indoor situations, I guarantee you that we will see an uptick, if not an explosion of new cases and subsequent deaths.

    You can argue about whether some opinions are equally of value to scientific knowledge. The Nazis branded Einstein's theory of relativity to be "Jewish physics" and published a book "One Hundred Authors Against Einstein". When asked how he could win an argument against so many people Einstein replied, "One fact was more powerful than 100 scientists."

    He was right.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Thank you Caduceus... that is what we look for on this board. And thank you for your service.

    We have a lot of people on the board with different backgrounds that can ADD to a conversation...
    And while you are right on my back ground not being in the science or medical field, I have many years in governmental affairs.

    While your medical input is a great add, understand that I also know how politics are played... and we need to understand both sides as they are the drivers...

    I have to say that I hope you are wrong on the explosion of cases... that lead to death... quality of life needs us to accept and move on. Staying in this state of mind will do great harm!

    Stay Safe...

    Go Zags!!

    .

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Thanks, Cad, for injecting solid science and knowledge.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Yes, thanks Cad.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Terrifying... okay that caught my attention and I need to comment.

    As for condemning sylean for her views.... not a fan. She can have her views and thoughts just as you can. I know the last thing sylean would want to do is hurt anyone.

    And as for being ill informed... please point me to the person that has all the right answers.
    Skip,

    It has nothing to do with Sylean's opinions. She is entitled to her opinions as we all are.

    The problem is that in almost every one of her posts, Sylean posts statements as facts that are either incorrect, hoaxes, fabrications, etc. Go back and read this entire thread. Myself, Cad, LtownZag and others have continually shown where "facts" posted by Sylean are simply wrong.

    It is irresponsible to knowingly post "facts" to support your position that are unchecked, unverified, fabricated, simply untrue, etc. Google is your friend. Take the 30 seconds and at least find something that supports your position.

    ZagDad

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Got you ZD...

    But please show me where sylean used the word “fact” in any of her comments... I went to her posts and while I don’t agree with some of her opinions, I never took them as fact. In fact I felt she was adding as we all have her feelings on the virus.
    She asked for charts and a few were provided to her by board members... and in some cases she was right in her thoughts.

    As for the facts... I have been around long enough to know that if a person is looking for facts to back their agenda... they’re out there. Sad but true... just as what you see or read over the airways. Trust has been taken from us sadly.

    How about we get back to GU WBB!!

    Are any of the players in town?

    Stay safe...

    Go Zags!!

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Skip,

    I will grant you that Sylean did not use the word "fact" in her statements. If you wish to believe that Sylean did not intend for the board to believe her posted statements as facts, that is your choice. By the way, I got some oceanfront property in Oklahoma for sale, interested??

    As for the facts... I have been around long enough to know that if a person is looking for facts to back their agenda... they’re out there. Sad but true... just as what you see or read over the airways. Trust has been taken from us sadly.
    Exactly. As I said above, find something, somewhere that supports your position. Take the 30 seconds and do a google search. Most of us that are frequent posters, have at some time, posted info that later proves to be incorrect. My bad, it happens, but at least make the effort.

    I have no idea if there are any players in town. I would assume that while some local players and some of the US players may be in town. I would be greatly surprised if any foreign players (including our Canadian players) are in town. Might be a while before before we see any of our foreign players.

    ZagDad

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Everyone is in town. I saw them all together downtown at the park playing ball on the street. They had to stop traffic to do it. I’m surprised no one else heard or saw this.

    Ok that was just a joke everyone please don’t take any of that seriously. I agree I would love to be able to see stuff on here about the team, and not what this thread has taken on. But there is none right now. So I made some up for fun.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    A reality check from the Sporting World today.

    For those who do not watch Formula 1, FIA president Jean Todt was a visitor, and he made a very important point.

    “Yesterday I spoke to Professor Eric Caumes, who is an expert in this domain at the Pitié-Salpêtrière hospital in Paris and I asked him when we can expect a vaccine and he said that we have been waiting 40 years for a vaccine for HIV, so we could face a second phase, a third phase and so on. We all have masks and minimum distances and there have been more than 4,000 tests on-site because we need to do them every five days to try to bring back the sport in a safe way. We are not going to bring back the sport as it was. It will never be the same. We are going through an historical moment.”
    No, it does mean we are going to have a 2nd or 3rd outbreak, but what it does mean is prepare for not having a vaccine in the immediate future and if we do get a vaccine great.

    ZagDad

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Bigfooot... I bit on the first line.

    ZD... not sure on the vaccine but with this virus, we have a whole lot of groups working on a vaccine where with HIV I’m not sure. So I’m not sure if you can compare the two.

    Go Zags!!

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    I post this because 1) This regards our beautiful Washington State in the midst of COVID-19; 2) Harborview is the county hospital in King (having been around since 1877!), and is the only level I trauma center in the entire state, and one of the best in the entire world. The area it serves is far and away the largest in the United States, because it is the only level I trauma center among Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska (the next nearest are Portland, SLC, and Minneapolis). 3) They were instrumental in developing the Medic One/911 system for the entire United States (thank you, mentor Dr. Michael Copass). 4) In all my training and career, I never met a kinder, more caring staff than the people at Harborview. These are the people that are not in it for the money or notoriety, but for the singular purpose of saving lives and making people better.

    It's an absolute zoo there sometimes, especially in the ER. But boy, does it make an impression on you in terms of pure compassion and kindness.

    Please watch. It gives a good perspective of what's happening on the ground in our state, and should be required viewing for anyone that thinks this pandemic is just another common virus, and that things should just go back to normal:


  21. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    I post this because 1) This regards our beautiful Washington State in the midst of COVID-19; 2) Harborview is the county hospital in King (having been around since 1877!), and is the only level I trauma center in the entire state, and one of the best in the entire world. The area it serves is far and away the largest in the United States, because it is the only level I trauma center among Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska (the next nearest are Portland, SLC, and Minneapolis). 3) They were instrumental in developing the Medic One/911 system for the entire United States (thank you, mentor Dr. Michael Copass). 4) In all my training and career, I never met a kinder, more caring staff than the people at Harborview. These are the people that are not in it for the money or notoriety, but for the singular purpose of saving lives and making people better.

    It's an absolute zoo there sometimes, especially in the ER. But boy, does it make an impression on you in terms of pure compassion and kindness.

    Please watch. It gives a good perspective of what's happening on the ground in our state, and should be required viewing for anyone that thinks this pandemic is just another common virus, and that things should just go back to normal
    Thank you for sharing this. I am amazed at the number of people still equating the 130,000 deaths in 4 months and the 18,000-20,000/year death from flu (I did the flu deaths from memory so they are suspect, but even if they are 60,000-80,000/year...there is a difference).

    A story on ABC talks about the testing required to bring back athletes. The story says that the cost of each test is $100.00 Is that accurate? I really have no idea. They also bring up the idea of 'pooled' tests. Are those as good? The pooled tests, if they are as good, would certainly cut down on the overall costs for a schools athletic department.

    One of the problems mentioned is that even if ALL the athletes test negative, once they leave the pool and engage with the general population, they run the risk of re-infection.
    It's not funny.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Thank you for sharing this. I am amazed at the number of people still equating the 130,000 deaths in 4 months and the 18,000-20,000/year death from flu (I did the flu deaths from memory so they are suspect, but even if they are 60,000-80,000/year...there is a difference).

    A story on ABC talks about the testing required to bring back athletes. The story says that the cost of each test is $100.00 Is that accurate? I really have no idea. They also bring up the idea of 'pooled' tests. Are those as good? The pooled tests, if they are as good, would certainly cut down on the overall costs for a schools athletic department.

    One of the problems mentioned is that even if ALL the athletes test negative, once they leave the pool and engage with the general population, they run the risk of re-infection.
    Your research is impressive will! The interesting thing about the flu is that, unlike COVID, the CDCs annual numbers of the flu are only an estimate. It's true! The flu is so much less dangerous than the coronavirus (because we have a vaccine), that we don't even keep that close track. Honestly (and I've talked to many other doctors about this who feel the same), I've NEVER, ever, once seen a hospitalized patient die from influenza. Yeah, it happens, but it's rare, and it seems to happen to people who don't go to hospitals or something. Not one patient. Influenza is not even in the same ballpark as COVID-19.

    The cost of a coronavirus test is somewhere around $100, although I'm no expert on this. I'm aware that the government has been either subsidizing this, or forcing insurance companies to pay for some, if not all off the cost.

    Pool testing. It has it's benefits and drawbacks. Pool testing is when you take a batch of PCR tests (viral swabs stuck up your nose), maybe 5 or 10, and they put them all together in a soup (yuck) and run a single test. If the result is negative, congratulations because you've just ruled out 5 or 10 people in one go. It can save money and time. But, if you get a positive (bad) result, then you have to go back and test every single one of them individually! That costs MORE money and time.

    Pool testing is good in a population where there is little prevalence of the virus, so the chances you get all negatives is good. It's bad when the virus is rampant, because you end up having to do lots of redo's. The sad part is that we are getting overrun by the virus in many states, and testing kits are getting short. So, like the third world country that we are quickly becoming, we are now using pool testing in a desperate move to stay ahead. This is where we are.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Interesting... thanks Cad

    Heard on the news this morning that the Federal Government has put 36 billion dollars towards finding a Covid-19 vaccine and that there are some positive results. I heard that they are on a fast track (and hopefully safe) as the need is there to get our family’s lifes and communities back to something close to normal. Again... this continued state of mind will harm.

    Stay Safe and continue to look to the positive..

    Go Zags!!

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Maybe there is hope after all - From Bestlife:

    This Is How Many Americans Say They Won't Consider Wearing Masks
    Allie Hogan
    4 hrs ago

    As coronavirus cases continue to spike in states across the country, many officials have begun to require face coverings in their states in an effort to curb cases. Although masks have been proven effective in slowing the spread of coronavirus, the cloth coverings still seem to be a divisive topic. While mask usage in America has increased since the beginning of the pandemic, there is still a significant portion of Americans who say they won't even consider wearing masks.

    According to new data from a Gallup poll, 11 percent of Americans have not considered wearing a mask in the past week. And while that's down from 18 percent in April, it's still a notable number of people. The good news, however, is that mask usage has gone up overall. "The percentage of U.S. adults who say they have worn a mask in public in the past seven days rose from 51 percent in early April to the current 86 percent high point," according to Gallup.

    The increase in mask usage is a promising sign that the country may be on the right path toward slowing community spread. But with more than 10 percent of Americans not even considering wearing a mask, many places throughout the U.S. could still be at risk for spiking cases. And the issue remains divided along partisan lines: According to the Gallup poll, 98 percent of Democrats report wearing a mask in the past week, as opposed to only 66 percent of Republicans.
    Read entire article here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...oJ2?li=BBnb7Kz

    ZagDad

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    Here's a roundup of informative articles. I chose these because they come from the regular press, making them easy reads for non-medical people, but packed with information that align with the scientific literature and experience of the medical community.

    This is a great post from the New York Times on masks. I commend the author as this coincides well with the current research: A User's Guide to Face Masks

    This short one from the SF Chronicle will raise the hair on your neck. Very good reporting. It might change your mind about the risks of catching this virus, especially if you don't die from it: What they don’t tell you about surviving COVID-19

    An article in The Atlantic shows why in the U.S., it's nearly impossible to just protect the elderly while the virus ravages on in the community: The U.S. Is Repeating Its Deadliest Pandemic Mistake

    And lastly, a comprehensive, well researched article from National Geographic that clearly demonstrates why we should not be comparing COVID-19 in any way to influenza: How scientists know COVID-19 is way deadlier than the flu

    Stay safe. Information is power. Wish this was over.

    =cad=


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •