Thread: NCAA Won't Mandate Uniform Return to College Sports

Hybrid View

Default NCAA Won't Mandate Uniform Return to College Sports

From ESPN:

NCAA won't mandate uniform return to college sports, Mark Emmert says
    Heather Dinich
    ESPN Senior Writer
    May 12, 2020

The NCAA won't mandate or oversee a uniform return to college sports, NCAA president Mark Emmert said Tuesday, leaving decisions on start dates to state officials and university presidents.

College athletics came to a halt in mid-March, when the NCAA canceled the men's and women's basketball tournaments along with all remaining winter and spring championships, because of the evolving threat of the coronavirus pandemic. There is still no timetable for a return, and Emmert said it isn't the NCAA's role to determine one in this instance.

"Normally, there's an agreed-upon start date for every sport, every season," Emmert told ESPN, "but under these circumstances, now that's all been derailed by the pandemic. It won't be the conferences that can do that either. It will be the local and state health officials that say whether or not you can open and play football with fans.

"We already saw the Oregon governor offering her views on what's likely to happen in September. The Pac-12 can say, 'Gee, we'd all like to open up on this date,' but whether or not you can is going to be ultimately up to the state and local health officials and the campus itself making a decision whether or not they want to go forward."

Earlier Tuesday, several Pac-12 football coaches expressed support for an NCAA-mandated uniform start to the season while on a video conference call with reporters. This followed Penn State coach James Franklin's comments last week that it would be helpful for the NCAA to give some national guidelines in addition to what each state and university determines.

Washington coach Jimmy Lake said Tuesday that he would prefer for all major college teams to begin six weeks of preparation for the season at the same time.

"I'm of the opinion it would be great if the NCAA made a blanket rule for the whole nation of when we would start, and I understand some states may be less hit by this than most. And I'm sure there's going to be some different opinions on this," Lake said. "In my opinion, I believe the NCAA should step in and say, 'OK, here's the date when everybody can start.'"

The Pac-12, however, issued a statement Wednesday saying its member universities would make their own determinations on when student-athletes can return to play and when and how campuses will reopen to students.

"Every day we are learning new and important information that will inform our decisions, and we believe that there is a great benefit to having as much relevant data as possible before making such decisions," the Pac-12 statement said.

Colorado coach Karl Dorrell and Utah's Kyle Whittingham also backed Lake's pitch, but Emmert's latest comments and the Pac-12 statement appeared to throw water on that idea
    "These are localized decisions," Emmert said Tuesday. "Local campuses have to decide: Are we opening up, and are we bringing students back to play sports? The NCAA doesn't mandate that, nor should it. The schools themselves have to make those choices."

Emmert said the NCAA's decision-making model during the pandemic is similar to that of the federal, state and local governments and that the NCAA's role is to "provide guidance and support." The NCAA in March established a COVID-19 advisory panel of leading medical, public health and epidemiology experts and NCAA member schools to guide its response to the outbreak of the coronavirus. NCAA chief medical officer Dr. Brian Hainline leads the group.

"Brian and his committee will advise institutions as best they can, but it's advice," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "They can't mandate when we go back or determine exactly when that happens. They can just give us the best advice they can provide, based upon scientists and medical information."

The one championship the NCAA doesn't oversee is that of college football, which determines its winner through the College Football Playoff. Bowlsby told ESPN that the Football Oversight Committee could play a role in helping determine a start date.

"The Football Oversight Committee will have a role in putting a date on the calendar eventually, to say you can start some sort of return to play on this date, but that may be on three days' notice," Bowlsby said. "It may be on two weeks' notice. It may be more than that. It's a constantly evolving environment, and forecasting around it is a fool's errand."

Emmert said he has a formal call with all 32 Division I commissioners at least once a week, and he talks to individual commissioners daily. He said his staff and the NCAA's member institutions are prepared to change any necessary legislation quickly to adapt to potential scheduling or rules changes prompted by the pandemic.

"Where we have direct control is of course over our championships, all 90 of those championships, and we'll make sure those are conducted in a way that's first and foremost safe for the students, for coaches, for fans, however that plays out," he said. "We'll support the conferences who make the decisions with the schools about what the conference schedules are going to look like, make whatever adjustments need to be made in the rules, to move seasons around so that we can accommodate all of the needs that are going to be popping up right now and recognizing this is going to play out in different ways in different parts of the country."
    Article Link with Sport Reporter discussion: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...rk-emmert-says

ZagDad

well of course colleges/universities exist first and foremost for educational purposes; athletics does not run the show technically, so of course its up to the individual entities to decide IF or WHEN they allow their students to participate in athletics...

mostly I think Emmert's statement is a CYA move.....legally the NCAA does not want to get involved in order not to be sued at any point...

I say,play already....

I think with the way things are going in California and with seven schools in the WCC in California, I hope I’m wrong, but it could be a short late season if at all. I hope GU is looking at ways to make an out of conference schedule that could continue thru at least the first half of the conference schedule.

Hope for the best... our kids deserve a life...

Go Zags!!

we have to trust Mike Roth and the coaches....I can't see them forfeiting a season and it was bad enough the seniors lost out on a championship run.....

I was just at Fred Meyer on the northside....packed!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    we have to trust Mike Roth and the coaches....I can't see them forfeiting a season and it was bad enough the seniors lost out on a championship run.....

I was just at Fred Meyer on the northside....packed!
    I do think sports will happen. How they happen may well be unlike what we are used to. I think that schools will make every effort to have competition of some sort happen.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

As Skip stated we have numerous schools in our conference from California. So Mr. Roth has to think outside the box about slating games with schools less strict more wide open area and less issues IE Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon etc. I would have a back up plan in place to replace all California games with non conference schedule. I'm sure their will be other schools with the same problem of having to perhaps replace California opponents. I'm sure the Zags can have classes starting in September, just having students in class set up 6 feet apart, and have them all wear masks.

Would expect no fans inside the Kennel. Heavy populated cities and states like New York, New Jersey, California, may not have college on campus and cancel their basketball seasons. So all conferences must be flexible. Obviously basketball is a contact sport so their will have to testing on players, referees, etc. So yes until things get more controlled empty Kennel to start season very likely.

Thats why everyone should be watching MLB, NBA, NFL. They will provide a good rule book on how to negotiate playing games before our Zags Basketball schedule comes around.

Good news Is Spokane seems to have a good handle on Covid-19. Only thing slowing us down is Governor Inslee treating Spokane County unfair not giving us guidelines that can be met to speed up our phases. Insee did not set guidelines for Counties for over 75,000 people. Spokane has over 500,000 people and our data has been good. Inslee wants to treat all the big counties like King County. Mayor Woodward of Spokane is not giving up trying to to get Governor Inslee not to treat us as strict as King County.

Feeling confident our lady Zags will be playing a full schedule, just perhaps different opponents as we normally play. Perhaps playing before no fans at start of season, or limited fans later in season.

I envision just like MLB players of games, Zags players will sit in stands staying at least 6 feet apart. Those on the bench coach perhaps will be required to stay six feet apart. Players will be required to wear facemarks, except when on the floor when playing. Their will be no high fives, fist bumps allowed, or hugging. Players lockers should be 6 feet apart. Their will be no showering in lockers room. Players would have to shower at home. While on the road Zags should reserve rooms on first floor or as low as possible and use the stairs, avoiding having to use the elevators.

Players and staff will be required to have temperature checks twice per day before coming to the Kennel. If a player test positive they will be required to quarantine, until they test negative twice on consecutive days. Then that player would have to be approved by the teams medical staff to resume play. Not using public restaurants, not using swimming pools, sauna, steamroll, hydro therapy pools.

All Zag students should have temperature checks prior to entering classroom. All players need to protect them selfs outside of the Kennel and be responsible, just like we are today. Actions of one careless player can endanger the rest of the players.
    Buffet style and communal food spreads would be prohibited.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 05-16-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Just so everyone knows. As of now these are the only schools in California that have closed for the fall. Not all California schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes as of right now that I know of no Ca. teams in the WCC have canceled their fall on campus semester yet. Somethings contradict each other and are open to speculation. Such as hopefully we start Phase 2 by 1 June, Phase 3 by 1 July, Phase 4 in August sometime. That opens the door for school etc in September for Washington. But its going to be a new normal still with social distancing. And until a vaccine is discovered we are more than likely going to have to work with that new normal.

Spokane, Wa. is moving in the right direction, thats a big positive. Now if we just can get Governor Inslee to realize West of the Mountains the counties are the problem area, East of the Mountains Spokane County has has single digit new cases since 25 April. Also since 25 April we had 5 days with 1 new hospitalzation and rest of the days 0. For a county of 514,000 thats quite impressive.

Another thing to consider nursing homes are a particular dangerous area to be living. Our hot spot has been Spokane Veterans Home 46 residents have tested positive, 9 residents have died, 24 staff have tested positive. Women Zag fans are mostly elderly citizens that are most high risk, and susceptible to being fatilities of the Covid-19.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 05-17-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks Fooot...

I had heard that California was closing their Universities but didn’t know it that took in the privates. I see the PAC-12s are still not listed. If the WCCs stay open... hopefully things will start to get back to normal by winter and the conference season.

Keep your fingers crossed... for the kids.

Go Zags!!

Such as hopefully we start Phase 2 by 1 June, Phase 3 by 1 July, Phase 4 in August sometime. That opens the door for school etc in September for Washington. But its going to be a new normal still with social distancing. And until a vaccine is discovered we are more than likely going to have to work with that new normal.
    What is going to determine how soon we get to Phase 3 and Phase 4 is how diligent the Spokane Residents and the Phase 2 businesses adhere to the social distancing guidelines. Most of the grocery stores have done a great job protecting their employees, single direction aisles, plexiglass partitions from the cashiers, etc. My concern is that as more businesses come on line the social distancing guidelines will not be adhered to. The bicycle store highlighted in the news had no employees wearing masks, nobody maintaining 6' distance, and on and on. No social distancing guidelines being maintained at all. Airlines claim to maintain the middle seat will be open, not. If they can sell the seat they will.

Nobody wants to operate at 50% capacity (and often it is not cost effective), so I have little hope that the proprietors will consistently maintain the nobody at the bar, 5 people or less at a table, 6' between tables, policies and the result will be that Spokane will see exactly what is going on in Texas right now, the largest increases in day to day infection rates since the pandemic began.

It only takes a relatively small percentage rate of non-believers to turn all the work the Spokane area has attained around and set us back to the starting line. It seems that every day or every other day the Spokesman-Review has somebody writing a letter to the editor stating the pandemic is a farce or a myth propagated by (pick your choice of scapegoat here). How many people in the two (2) recent marches to City Hall were practicing social distancing guidelines? How many of these protestors do you think will practice social distancing guidelines when their businesses are finally approved to open (which I agree with by the way)?

We have met the enemy, and it is us. I have little faith that when the community opens up that social distancing will properly applied across the board. We have the ability within us to continue to move forward and unfortunately we also have the ability to backslide. Time will tell, which path Spokane takes.

Stay healthy everyone,

ZagDad

Nascar and golf bringing live sports back to TV, albeit with no fans and with some changes from normal operations, but some Sports are back.

ZagDad

Just to put some more info into this conversation. Covid has a 7 day incubation period. So any numbers that come out for today or yesterday are not related to phase 2. If there is to be a change because of phase 2 we will not see it for about 7 days. Which is why each phase is 2 weeks long.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfooot View Post
    Just to put some more info into this conversation. Covid has a 7 day incubation period. So any numbers that come out for today or yesterday are not related to phase 2. If there is to be a change because of phase 2 we will not see it for about 7 days. Which is why each phase is 2 weeks long.

That's what I kept thinking as I've been seeing reports about spikes in confirmed cases. It would've had to have been instantaneous in order to blame it on moving to phase 2 in some places. As usual, seems like there is an agenda at play in what is being reported.

The incubation period isn't just a uniform 7 days. The median is 4-5, and 97% of people who will be symptomatic are experiencing symptoms by 11 days.

But even that is irrelevant, or not particularly helpful at knowing if the infected number (overall contagion) is growing or shrinking. Since we aren't doing wide scale testing and don't have randomized sample tests or convenient and free/cheap tests, the best indicator of the trajectory of the virus is basically how many people die 20-25days from a given date.

That obviously makes it very hard to know what is going on today, but such is life in a society without wider scale testing.

There is some evidence for updated daily changes by looking at the percent of tests that come back positive. Just keep in mind that the overall number of tests has been growing, and the population getting tested isn't a random sampling.

I think we will actually start to definitively know the effects of a given major change in society about 25 days after that change, based on deaths. (Maybe 2 weeks after if one had access to hospital and hospital ICU admit numbers). Outdoor events seem far far safer than indoor, so I hope the nice weather will be enjoyed safely by all.

For the Spokane Residents:

An outbreak of coronavirus cases at a food processing plant in Washington state has put a temporary halt to Clark County's plans to enter phase 2 of the state's reopening plan. According to Clark County Public Health, 38 workers at Firestone Pacific Foods in Vancouver have tested positive for COVID-19 so far.
    As of today, Philadelphia Macaroni has 31 confirmed cases.

Nothing to do with the transition to Phase 2, but if they put a temporary halt to Clark County's transition to Phase 2, it could happen here.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    That's what I kept thinking as I've been seeing reports about spikes in confirmed cases. It would've had to have been instantaneous in order to blame it on moving to phase 2 in some places. As usual, seems like there is an agenda at play in what is being reported.
    A totally incorrect assumption that just because their is a rise in the confirmed Covid-19 case numbers, that myself and others are blaming it on Phase 2. I am well aware of the incubation period and I certainly am not blaming the rise in numbers on Phase 2.

My "agenda" is that in the last couple of weeks, there has been a noticeable increase in people on the road, in hardware/garden stores, grocery stores, Costco, etc and the percentage of people not wearing masks and maintaining social distancing has been on the rise. I fully expected to see a rise in the numbers of confirmed cases before Phase 2 was implemented (now confirmed), just by looking at the number of people on the streets and in the stores. We have seen 3 straight days of double digit increases (not including the 31 cases at Philadelphia Macaroni) in confirmed cases when we did not have a single double digit day in confirmed new cases since April 24. We have already begun backsliding before Phase 2 has even been implemented. Most people expect the number daily confirmed cases, at least initially, to increase under Phase 2.

As an example, went to our favorite Chinese Restaurant for take-out last night. When picking up our take-out, the staff person was not wearing a mask or gloves and the other four people waiting for food were not wearing a mask or maintain social distancing. The only person wearing a mask was my wife. No more Chinese food from this restaurant until this is take care of, but the same sort of attitude is being shown at the lawn and garden centers, the mailbox centers, etc. There is a lot of people, IMO, who are not taking this pandemic very seriously, and we can very easily be in limbo until a vaccine is found.

Obviously it is not good to start Phase 2 when your daily number of confirmed cases is already on the rise.

Fortunately LtownZag, this is Spokane and not NYC, so hopefully we are not waiting for people to die before we realize we have a problem.

As Cavebear said above. We will keep our fingers crossed, that Spokanites (businesses and patrons) get it figured out, because where we go is in their hands. IMO, I have only a little hope that we will be able to stay in Phase 2 let alone progress to Phase 3. I would be very happy to be proved wrong, but let's give it another 3-4 weeks and see where we stand.

Stay safe everyone, and well wishes to you and your family.

ZagDad

My apologies ZagDad, I meant official reporting from media, I wasn't referring to you or making assumptions about what your train of thought is.

the most important data is how many need to be in the hospital for severe covid symptoms.....presently, the covid inpatient numbers are very very low....and have been

if 30 people get covid at the Macaroni plant but don't get really sick , its a good sign....

the virus does not just go away....its here....it will weaken and more people will become immune or resistant to it.....

so If one has many health issues, I'd self isolate......its up to that person....stay away from large church gatherings...from malls....etc....

I've thought from the beginning that the wrong people were lockdowned....

Many good thoughts...

We live every day in a world of compromising diseases. Everyone deals with them in different ways...
    Just on this post we have seen difference in opinion and how to deal with Covid-19. And all probably are just fine for themselves and loved ones.

As for the Macaroni plant... many tested positive... question is how many are showing symptoms now or will be. As in other viruses... how it effects people are different. As many have said, wear masks to protect others.

Food for thought... in California, their suicide attempts in the last four weeks have equaled a years worth.

Hopefully with the flu/cold season coming to an end, things will move forward in a positive way.

Time to start enjoying live in a safe and productive way...

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Food for thought... in California, their suicide attempts in the last four weeks have equaled a years worth.
    I'd seen that as well. The lock down has had massive impacts, well beyond just the financial. Depression and domestic abuse are both spiking as well during this time I've heard.

As we start to open up...You do You, I'll do me. That's what America's about. None of us have the same circumstances (medically high risk child/family member or a business about to go under, etc.). Let's all stay in our own lanes and keep the judgment down as we begin to reopen. No one should feel pressured either way.
    Just a thought...As governors are trying to figure out how to ease back into normal, please remember:

Some people donít agree with the state opening...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some people are still planning to stay home...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some are still scared of getting the virus and a second wave happening...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some are sighing with relief to go back to work knowing they may not lose their business or their homes...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some are thankful they can finally have a surgery they have put off...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some will be able to attend interviews after weeks without a job...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some will wear masks for weeks...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some people will rush out to get their hair or nails done...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    The point is, everyone has different viewpoints/feelings and thatís okay. Be Kind.
    We each have a different story. If you need to stay home, stay home...But Be Kind .
    If you need to go out, just respect others when in public and Be Kind!

Donít judge fellow humans because youíre not in their story. We all are in different mental states than we were months ago. So remember, Be Kind.

Last edited by Bigfooot; 05-26-2020 at 12:02 AM.

From CLF I think this sums it up.

As we start to open up...You do You, I'll do me. That's what America's about. None of us have the same circumstances (medically high risk child/family member or a business about to go under, etc.). Let's all stay in our own lanes and keep the judgment down as we begin to reopen. No one should feel pressured either way.
    Just a thought...As governors are trying to figure out how to ease back into normal, please remember:

Some people donít agree with the state opening...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some people are still planning to stay home...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some are still scared of getting the virus and a second wave happening...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some are sighing with relief to go back to work knowing they may not lose their business or their homes...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some are thankful they can finally have a surgery they have put off...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some will be able to attend interviews after weeks without a job...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some will wear masks for weeks...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    Some people will rush out to get their hair or nails done...thatís okay. Be Kind.
    The point is, everyone has different viewpoints/feelings and thatís okay. Be Kind.
    We each have a different story. If you need to stay home, stay home...But Be Kind .
    If you need to go out, just respect others when in public and Be Kind!

Donít judge fellow humans because youíre not in their story. We all are in different mental states than we were months ago. So remember, Be Kind.

From the Covid Discussion:
    Zag for Life

re. masks, I wear one to protect my fellow citizens, not to protect myself; I wear it so I don't spread it if I have it, not so I don't get it. The data is pretty clear on that. So when folks are out in those situations with no mask, they aren't being brave and risking their own health, lol; they are putting others at risk with fake bravado.

Let's say I think my freedom includes driving 100mph, but since it endangers the freedoms of others, there are restrictions on my speed. Same with driving drunk. Same with polluting waterways up river; if my freedoms put others at risk, there are restrictions. It's not a new thought. I can't just go grab a woman to express my freedom becasue it infringes on hers. I could literally go on and on.

But the leadership on this was so divisive that not wearing a mask is somehow about freedom...what a sad joke. reveals a basic lack of understanding about why to wear a mask seems to me, and the total politicization of it.

and before you start, I've been for reopening for some time...but not stupid and uninformed as if this is about freedom. Is freedom ordering meat plant workers back to infested sites? Is it authorizing warrantless spying on US citizens? Now that stuff is about freedom in my humble opinion"

We are all in different circumstances, but the only reason for not willingly wearing a mask is if you have a medical reason.

Wearing a mask protects others in case you don't know if you are infected. No matter what your circumstances are, barring a medical condition, not wearing a mask in public is offensive to me, and a threat to thousands of others.
    If you doing you is a threat to thousands because of a selfish or vain reason to not wear a mask, I disagree with what you have said completely.
    It's not funny.

I do understand that wearing a mask protects you and not me.

This virus will not just go away. We either need a vaccine or immunity to it.

Last edited by Bigfooot; 05-26-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Willandi I am just reposting what CLF said and I agree with it.

I do understand that wearing a mask protects you and not me.

This virus will not just go away. We either need a vaccine or immunity to it.

I disagree with what CLF said. We can't have you do you and i'll do me. That will just help the virus spread.

We need to We'll do Us. All together is the only way to beat this. The chain and the weakest link analogy, unless people are willing to sacrifice many of our elderly.
    It's not funny.

And that is perfectly fine. All that is being said is to be kind to everyone.

You are not going to change everyoneís mind to what you think. Not matter what you think is the best way.

So instead just be kind.

Last edited by Bigfooot; 05-26-2020 at 12:45 AM.