Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Won't Mandate Uniform Return to College Sports

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Cad...Was waiting for you to come after me....

You see... I figured you would go after anyone that may not look at this as a scientist. I’m a plain old commoner.. that has lived long enough to know that things can be construed to follow an agenda. While I know this is a serious virus, I also know that it has been overplayed. And for a reason.
    We live in a world where we deal with disease all the time... my father passed from cancer, my brother from heart disease.

I read a lot... while not science journals, I know very well what is garbage, what I read as I stated was from the CDC! I do not try to push the media crap.

So Cad... keep us up to date with you thoughts... you can add good info. And for us with other degrees and experience, you might try to understand where we are coming from. They say if you want, you can learn something new everyday.

Go Zags!!
    Hey Skip, not coming after you! It's not personal in any way. You're not a commoner any more than I am. I admit my bias is toward the science, facts, and what I see as my reality. I very much understand that the "reality" of others comes from a different background, at that puts me, peculiarly, in the minority. I'm sorry about your family members. My father passed just before all of this mess, and I'm only happy that it didn't affect him. He was in a senior living facility that was just waiting to have one of these outbreaks. He was a great Zag fan, and particularly a WBB Zag fan.

I do realize your point of view. While I don't agree with all the details, it's absolutely not wrong to have a humane view of this calamity. I'm probably known for being a realist, and my experience reflects what I see coming our way. Maybe I'll be wrong, and good God, I hope I am. We can reflect on this at the end of the year and see where we are. No personal harm intended.

Honestly, I'm tired of waking every morning and having to read the "damage report." We need happier news all around.

Skip,

We get it. This pandemic has a health component on one side vs a wide number of resulting components (economic, educational, curtailment of some freedoms, etc.) on the other. Other than the radicals that reside on the far ends of the spectrum (both sides), most people are located somewhere just on either side of the theoretical middle. Many on this board want to error on the health side of the issue while others want to error more on the economic/educational/freedom issue. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as education goes, the vast majority of teachers, students, parents and school districts will 100% agree with you that attending school in person, with full classes will provide the best educational and social opportunities for the students. As is the case, the problem is in the details. My wife was a teacher in the classroom for 34 years, currently works District Administration for one of the largest school districts in the State of Washington and is currently a member of the task force assigned to design the reopening of the schools.

I say this with all due respect, unless you are directly involved with the District Administration and the reopening of the schools, you have absolutely no idea the number of entities (parents, teachers, unions, OSPI, health departments and the list goes on and on) that have to be satisfied before opening the schools this fall. Numerous surveys have been sent out to the parents asking a variety of questions and, as you would expect, there is absolutely no consensus. Some parents will not send their kids back to school until their is a vaccine. Some will not send their kids back if they have to wear a mask. Some are demanding in school, in person classes with no hybrid models. The school district needs to accommodate these widely varying desires. Satisfying 90% simply is not good enough and will get you sued by any number of well-meaning private entities. The scary thought is the most common desire from the high school parents is they want to have fall sports (Priorities People).

If you think the School District wants to conduct distance learning, remember every student has to be provided with a tablet or laptop. Every student's house has to be provided with internet access. If the student travels between divorced parents houses, both are required to be provided with internet access. Learning disabilities, blindness, deafness, IEP & 504 plans, non-english speaking students all have to be accommodated. Lesson plans for every subject, in every grade, have to be developed for on-line learning. Teachers who have never taught an online class have to be trained. It goes on and on and nobody is providing financial assistance to the school district to provide these options. Believe me when I say that nobody wants to go back to in person classes more than the School District. It is educationally (for the students) and financially in the best interests of the School District to open up with in person classes this fall.

The School District also has the obligation to provide a "safe" working/studying environment for their students, teachers, administration and non-certified staff and that simply cannot reasonably be done under the current conditions. Here is an inside tip for you, SPS will not be going back to even a hybrid schedule (some on-line and some in person classes) for at least 8 weeks and presumably not until Spokane reaches Phase III. The School District has to straddle that fine line between meeting the requirements of the Health District in order to provide a safe working environment and providing the best education and social situation for their students.

Finally, I don't quite understand why you continue to dismiss the severity of the pandemic issue and continue to complain that the media is overhyping Covid-19. So far today, the reported numbers indicate, 1,061 Americans have died so far today for a total number of 154,830 dead Americans, so far. Let me give you some different ways of looking at the issue as comparisons.

- Every 2-3 days more Americans die of Covid-19 than died in the attack on Pearl Harbor (2,335 dead military personnel).
    - Every 2-2 days more Americans die of Covid-19 than died in the 9-11 attacks (2,763 at World Trade Center, 2996 overall).
    - So far, Covid-19 has killed more Americans than died in the entirety of World War 1 (110,000 KIAs).
    - So far, Covid-19 has killed more than 4.5 times as many Americans than died in the entirety of the Korean War (33,741 KIAs).
    - So far, Covid-19 has killed more than 3 times as many Americans than died in the entirety of Vietnam War (47,434 KIAs).

Maybe, just maybe, there is a valid reason it is on the front page of the paper every day.

ZagDad

ZD... understand fulling on what it takes to open up school... I also have a wife that spent over 40 years in the classroom. And my daughter-in-law is working with Olympia’s task group and I have had good discussions with her on opening up. They have put a ton of time in on a number of plans to get their schools open...

I don’t take this pandemic lightly... and throw all the numbers at me you want. But I also know politics... as part of my job for 20 years was working in governmental affairs. And please done think there aren’t agendas in play...

We have good and bad numbers all over our nation... and will for some time. But you can’t wait for ever to open schools... these people including your wife have put plans together with a lot of thought and care. We will need some trust in their work to get our kids back in school.

Go Zags!!

More hard facts Texas 295 deaths today, 256 Florida, 191 California, total US deaths today 1,457. Common sense would dictate online learning for K-12 to start the school year, and perhaps until the beginning of 2021 if all goes well.

Some new evidence of the Covid virus spreading amongst kids from CBS News.

Over 200 kids test positive for coronavirus after summer camp
    Li Cohen 48 mins ago

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Friday that more than 200 children have tested positive for the coronavirus after attending a summer camp in Georgia at the end of June. That's more than a third of the nearly 600 Georgia residents who attended, according to the CDC's report.

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp issued an executive order on June 11 allowing campers and workers to attend overnight camps if they received a negative COVID-19 test within 12 days of starting camp. The camp ran from June 21 to 27, and more than 500 of the campers and staffers were children ages 17 and younger, the CDC reported. Out-of-state attendees were not included in the CDC's reporting (maybe some of Skip's politics at work here).

While the camp "adopted most components" of the CDC's official suggestions for summer camps, the CDC reported that the camp did not require campers to wear cloth face masks and did not open windows and doors of the buildings to allow increased ventilation. People sleeping in the same cabins and "engaging in regular singing and cheering" also "likely contributed to transmission," the CDC said.

Children between the ages of 6 and 10 had the highest attack rate — the number of positive cases divided by the total number of attendees — at 51%, followed by teens between the ages of 11 and 17 at 44%. But these rates, the CDC said, "are likely an underestimate."

The CDC said that what happened at the camp indicates that "children of all ages are susceptible" to the coronavirus, especially when placed in large group settings, and "might play an important role in transmission."
    You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ov...ZZo?li=BBnb7Kz

ZagDad

Interesting ZD.... any follow ups? Any deaths caused by these cases? It’s August tomorrow...
    Are children at daycare or other camps reporting any positive cases?

I have been on Lake CDA the last few weeks and there were kids at the Boy Scout camp, Girl Scout camp and Lutherhaven.
    Wonder if any tests there... maybe it doesn’t make for a good story...

Just trying to give the positive side... we know these events will happen. And when school does open and someday they will, my money is on someone looking for a story will be there.

Thanks ZD... if we are going to live with fear of everything we do... well life will never be the same. Not this guy

Mask up, distance and stay safe... but don’t forget to live a little.

Go Zags!!

PS: watched the GU - BYU game on SWX last night... miss our team!!

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Not terribly surprising. Hyperbaric O2 is the standard treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning, when car exhaust pretends to be oxygen in your blood, but it's not, and then it usually kills you. HBO treatments put you in a pressure tank that increases the air (O2 pressure and it shoves the CO off of hemoglobin so regular O2 can work again).

Getting this treatment is like having a super oxygen blown in your lungs. Maybe 1 in ten thousand might get to have this submariner type of treatment. And only if you can find it in a city that even has one of these contraptions (In Washington, Seattle, Tacoma and maybe Spokane).
    Portable ones are available for under $4,000 which is less, I believe, than what the US paid for ventilators. Full sized, permanent ones would obviously cost much more, but, if used successfully, might usher in a new chapter on their uses and purposes.
    It looks like there are 3-4 places here in Spokane that currently offer hyperbaric treatment. https://www.rehabmart.com/product/po...iABEgLGjvD_BwE
    It's not funny.

Skip,

Interesting ZD.... any follow ups? Any deaths caused by these cases? It’s August tomorrow...
    Are children at daycare or other camps reporting any positive cases?
    I have no idea. We were having a discussion concerning school opening and the prevailing line of thinking was kids were less susceptible to catching the virus and less likely to spread the virus to others. I found an article that provided some information to the Board for their information that was contrary to that line of thinking. I did not provide any commentary intentionally so people could make up their own minds. I did not post it specifically for your benefit or to dispute your position, just general knowledge.

As far as conducting additional research, as far as I know you have not hired me to be part of your research group. You are retired, I am not and believe it or not I do have work to do. However, they have this thing called google. It does really work. If you are really interested in additional research give it a try.

Let me clear up a few things. I am not trying to change your mind or opinion on covid. I post documents, hopefully discuss said documents, gather more information. Having more information is not a bad thing. If it makes you think, do additional research, consider some other alternatives, it is all a good thing. I look forward to having intelligent conversations to further my knowledge. If you never move an inch or consider an alternative, it is no skin off my back. What I am not will to do is have my information summarily dismissed, devalued, or other, simply because it does not suit your view of the topic.

I have been on Lake CDA the last few weeks and there were kids at the Boy Scout camp, Girl Scout camp and Lutherhaven.
    Wonder if any tests there... maybe it doesn’t make for a good story...
    Or maybe, there is no story because the local camps were following the CDC guidelines for social distancing, wearing masks and limited group sizes which the Georgia summer camp was admittedly not doing and there really was/is no story - at least yet.

we know these events will happen. And when school does open and someday they will, my money is on someone looking for a story will be there.
    Boy you are really cynical. Hopefully there will be no story because the School District, students and parents did it right and the kids, teachers, administrators, non-certified staff, bus drivers, and all the daycare providers (including grandparents) who take care of the kids after school are fine. As you are well aware, the School District cannot win no matter what decision they make on opening school. If nobody catches Covid or somebody or lots of somebodies catch Covid, it will be a story and be on the front page of the paper and the first story on every newscast. The affected parents will make sure of it and yes it will be a story.

if we are going to live with fear of everything we do... well life will never be the same. Not this guy
    Everybody has their own level of risk that is acceptable. You are 70 and have (likely) lived the majority of your life. Your willingness to accept a higher level of risk may be much greater than the 20 something married couple with a couple of kids. Here is an example from me on risk. I rode motorcycles from age 8 until age 24. When my wife got pregnant with our first child she asked me to give up the bike as she did not want to be a single mom raising kids. I gave up the bike. When the last kid graduated from college, she told me to go get another bike so I did. My willingness to accept more or less risk depended on my circumstances at the time. I would never apply my acceptable level of risk to anybody else as their circumstance is likely very different from mine.

Mask up, distance and stay safe... but don’t forget to live a little.
    If everybody did this we would not be in Phase 2 trying real hard not to slide into Phase 1. As long as you are following the mandates of the State you are residing in, you will have no issue with me. Live your life. Enjoy your retirement and live it to the fullest none of us have any idea on how long we have left. Neither my father or father-in-law saw 70 years of age and both had relatively short retirements. Father was diagnosed with Parkinson's at 47, worked until he was 61 had 2-3 years of decent retirement, then Alzheimer's set in and he spent the last 3 years in a group home before passing. My father-in-law spent 40 years in the CV school district and retired to spend time with his grandkids. 2 years after retirement, he contracted ALS and six months later was gone.

Skip, my time is too valuable waste posting data specifically for you. If you don't want to have an intelligent conversation on the topic, keep the sarcasm to yourself and ignore the post. If I want to get into a pissing contest I will go over to the Mbb side of the board, they are much better at it over there.

Enjoy yourself Skip and stay safe.

ZagDad

Oh, by the way here is your update.

The CDC Just Released a Report on Kids Spreading COVID-19
    Leah Groth 5 hrs ago

Since the start of the pandemic, researchers have been puzzled by how children are impacted by COVID-19. When the first cases of the virus were reported out of Wuhan, China, it seemed as though children weren't even being infected. Soon after we learned that children could in fact contract the virus, though were less likely to develop a severe infection as adults. It was then revealed that children could be asymptomatic spreaders of the virus, meaning that they could pass it on to others without ever developing symptoms. As schools across the country are set to reopen—many for in-person instruction—the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released a new study centering on a super spreader event at a sleepaway camp in Georgia that may make educators and policymakers rethink their strategies.

Children of All Ages May Spread Coronavirus
    The report, published by the CDC on Friday, suggests that children of all ages are susceptible to coronavirus and likely spread it to others. It is centered on a virus outbreak that occurred last month in Georgia at a sleepaway camp. Of the 344 campers, who had a median age of 12, and staffers, with a median age of 17, who were tested for the virus, 260 tested positive for the virus —more than three-quarters. "The overall attack rate was 44% (260 of 597), 51% among those aged 6–10 years, 44% among those aged 11–17 years, and 33% among those aged 18–21 years," the CDC noted.

As far as symptoms, the CDC only had data for 136 people. 36 people reported no symptoms, while 100 children and staff members (74 percent) reported symptoms of fever (65 percent), headache (61 percent) and sore throat (46 percent).

Another scary detail is that the virus spread quickly, with everyone contracting the virus after less than a week at camp—despite the fact that all 597 campers and staff members were forced to prove that they had tested negative for the virus prior to arrival. The report also reveals that while staff members were required to wear masks, the children were not.

"Asymptomatic infection was common and potentially contributed to undetected transmission, as has been previously reported," the CDC wrote. "This investigation adds to the body of evidence demonstrating that children of all ages are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection and, contrary to early reports, might play an important role in transmission."
    You can read the rest of the article particularly about how the camp did not follow CDC guidelines here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...RXD?li=BBorjTa

"Let me clear up a few things. I am not trying to change your mind or opinion on covid. I post documents, hopefully discuss said documents, gather more information. Having more information is not a bad thing. If it makes you think, do additional research, consider some other alternatives, it is all a good thing. I look forward to having intelligent conversations to further my knowledge. If you never move an inch or consider an alternative, it is no skin off my back. What I am not will to do is have my information summarily dismissed, devalued, or other, simply because it does not suit your view of the topic."

Love this. I feel this way about my opinions too. Right or wrong, they are mine. You may disagree, try to change my mind or a lot of other things. You can't just dismiss or devalue because you disagree.
    It's not funny.

ZD... I think I poked the Bear...

I’m not disagreeing at all with your points... I was concerned as always with the timing of the media and we getting pulled in by it. This occurrence happened in Georgia in June. And why was it not brought to our attention until now... because school is on everyone’s minds. If it was a concern... where is the follow up? I would think this would be a prime study group with school around the corner for the CDC.

And ZD, you have your views and I have mine... and that’s great. And sometimes it gets a little heated. That’s part of this board even when we get pulled into a topic that has us all concerned and really doesn’t have a place here.

Every part of our country will be starting school differently come this fall... we may see children together in counties where the densities have made covid a non issue. When the kids are back together... with guidelines, will that give us a chance to see how it goes... How about the states like South Dakota that never closed... their Governor already said that school this fall will open... that the children need to be together. We may even see next door schools open. So I think we will have a chance to see where we are at.

Oh by the way... I’m starting to know how sylean felt when you didn’t agree with her. Dissecting isn’t cool...

Stay safe and lets get back to Basketball.... Cheers everyone!

Go Zags!!

I'm late to this thread but regarding South Dakota, I think the potential for a super spreader event is coming up in that state as hundreds of thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts descend on Sturgis SD in the coming days. Link: https://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/.

O'k Skip, lets try this again and sorry, I am going to have to "dissect" your post so the intent and meaning does not get lost in the body of the response.

I think I poked the Bear...
    What gets me heated is the lack of respect, the sarcasm, the snide remarks, name calling (not by you), etc. I will get riled up if somebody thinks it is acceptable to have their personnel freedoms put me or my families health at risk. Your personal opinions on Covid (or any other topic) or how you choose to live your life does not raise my blood pressure in the least. With no maliciousness intended, you really are not that big a part of my life, sorry to burst your bubble . It's your life. You are very knowledgeable and have a different perspective than many on the board and I value your opinion. I wish you would jump off the fence a little more often and expand or explain your position instead of just relying on the "politics" phrase without explanation.

I’m not disagreeing at all with your points.
    Here lies the problem. I did not make a point or establish a position when I posted the article. As I said in my response above, I just posted an article for discussion which provided a different perspective than the general consensus and you assumed (possibly??) that I was making or taking a position. Wrong. You know what they say about making an assumption, right. In reality, I don't have a position on the opening of schools as I don't have a dog in that fight. No kids or grandkids in school. No spouse, kids or family in the classroom. I am just providing data on both sides of the issue for discussion.

....was concerned as always with the timing of the media and we getting pulled in by it. This occurrence happened in Georgia in June. And why was it not brought to our attention until now... because school is on everyone’s minds. If it was a concern... where is the follow up? I would think this would be a prime study group with school around the corner for the CDC.
    Excellent, Perfect. This is exactly the type of info I have been waiting for you to provide. After 70 years of life and 20 years in the political arena you bring a unique perspective to the board. Unfortunately, you have not frequently been willing to get off the fence and provide this type of insight. Thank you for taking the time to give us this perspective.

Let me give a position on this issue that may be a little less "Big Brotherish" for consideration that could explain why we are just hearing about this now. The Georgia camp was held June 21-27. All attendees had to have a negative test for Covid a maximum of 12 days prior to the start of camp. Yes, every single one of the campers could have been infected prior to attending camp but for the purposes of this discussion I am going to assume () that is not likely. Infections likely did not occur all at once, but over the entire length of the camp with fewer infections occurring at the beginning of camp and more at the end of camp as more people become infected. Incubation periods for Covid symptoms are 7-14 days or so, so let's assume the first kids with obvious systems began the first week after camp with the majority of systems occurring between the first and second week after camp so sometime around the 4th of July or later. How long does it take to track down and test all 600 campers, a week (if you are lucky) maybe a little longer? Another week to get the test results and this puts you into the third week of July. A few days to analyze the test results and you are right at the 4th week of July. The CDC response to the data was issued Friday, July 31, 2020.

Even here in Spokane, where we are seeing triple digit positive cases everyday, the infection of a few kids (trickling in a over a period of days) may not make local news let alone the national news. Given the current state of Covid in Georgia, I could easily see, that as the individual test results trickled in, some kids getting infected with Covid simply was not newsworthy. Once the overall magnitude of the infection became known (after the test results were tabulated and evaluated) it suddenly became a very "newsworthy" story of "national" proportions. The above storyline (with assumptions) does not support the idea that there was a significantly delay in releasing the data. Thoughts?? Where did I screw up in my storyline?

Yes, I realize that if the Georgia Governor could have buried the data, I have no doubt he would have.

That’s part of this board even when we get pulled into a topic that has us all concerned and really doesn’t have a place here.
    When Lady Zag basketball information becomes more readily available, the off-topic posts will go away. However, specifically speaking on this topic, the Covid topic is very relevant as it is going to impact the Lady Zag season, our ability to attend games and all sports in general. Just not locally but also nationally. IMO this issue is on topic and does have a place on this board.

Hey, how about you go ahead and feel free to post all the LadyZag info you have been holding out on us to get us back on track.......well we are waiting........ Yeah, just as I thought, information on the LadyZags is a little thin at this time of year. Give it a couple of more months.

Every part of our country will be starting school differently come this fall... we may see children together in counties where the densities have made covid a non issue. When the kids are back together... with guidelines, will that give us a chance to see how it goes... How about the states like South Dakota that never closed... their Governor already said that school this fall will open... that the children need to be together. We may even see next door schools open. So I think we will have a chance to see where we are at.
    100% agree.

I’m starting to know how sylean felt when you didn’t agree with her
    Sylean is an entirely different animal. She posts (non-Lady Zag) data that simply is not true, totally unsubstantiated and when asked, never provides any supporting data for her statements, she simply disappears. As you can see from this thread, CAD has corrected her several times after she posted unsubstantiated data. No response from Sylean. As for me, Sylean is great when it comes to Lady Zag Wbb and I value her insight as one of the best. However, I have gotten to the point where I simply ignore her posts on any other topic (especially posts on KG, or the UO Ducks) as I don't feel it adds much to the conversation. I have gone to letting others provide the correction as it simply is not worth my time.

When you cover a significant number of topics in a post sometimes dissection is the best way to clearly address each topic as sometimes important data is skimmed or glossed over when it is buried within the body of the text or responses are interpreted differently than they are meant.

You should not take offense if somebody dissects your post, as it means that they are interested enough in your post to take the time to clearly respond to the individual points contained within your post. Now, if nobody responds to your post (I know this feeling very well), does anybody really care? Think about it.

In reality Skip, you might be surprised that Ideology wise we are a whole lot closer than you might imagine with me being a little closer to the middle than you.

Stay Safe and enjoy North Idaho.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 08-02-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    I'm late to this thread but regarding South Dakota, I think the potential for a super spreader event is coming up in that state as hundreds of thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts descend on Sturgis SD in the coming days. Link: https://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/.
    Big article in today's Spokesman-Review on the owner of a Stateline bar is going to Sturgis. Potential for bikers to bring thousands of new Covid cases back to every state.

Spokesman-Review article: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-stateline-ah/

For the glass half empty crowd, Sturgis is going to host approximately 250,000+ bikers for their annual rally with the potential for the bikers to add thousands of new Covid cases to an already overloaded medical system (in many parts of the country).

For the glass half full crowd, while 250,000+ participants is a lot of people in a close environment, it is a lot better than the 490,000 participants that attended last year.

This points out one of the biggest problems without having a uniform, national policy on the guidelines for addressing the spread of Covid. Unless you are going to lock down your state (ie Canada, New York, New Jersey, etc.) to prevent anybody from traveling state to state, it is virtually impossible to contain the virus as long as people traveling between can keep bringing new contaminations back to the State.

ZagDad

ZD.... good talk

A Sturgis bike party... probably not a good idea. Maybe the beer will help... not.

Just a little on the GU Women... was on the Centennial Trail by GU with the grandkids a couple of weeks ago and saw JT, JW, LW and few other players (didn’t want to stare ) walk up from the river and leave in cars... good to see them in town and together. Have to think this has been very difficult for them...
    I know how it has affected my grandkids... that’s why we have tried to give them a safe fun summer.

Go Zags!!

No Worries Skip,

The next round is on me.

The truth is I am really trying to keep ahead of what was originally your thread that Zagineer has apparently acquired that discusses the Lady Zag roster.

While we keep hearing from Zagineer about the number of "views" his (??) thread has had (over 62,000 in almost 4 years while pinned at the top of the board), it only has 122 replies. I realize that nothing I could post would likely never get pinned to the top of the board nor would ever come close to 62,000 views. However, this thread has just under 11,000 views (in only 2-1/2 months) but has generated 213 responses or 57% more than the roster thread. Take that Zagineer . Thanks for all the help ZAB, bet you did not realize how much you were helping me achieve my "true" goal.

Keep posting, I need to build on my advantage before this thread goes by the wayside.

ZagDad

on the internet its not consider proper to be talking about other posters without the decency of at least having that person in the conversation....

you know very well how to research so don't expect others to compile lengthy sermons on data and post long threads about.......I don't have the time to do it, since I'm considered essential ............its all out there.....if you recall, I urged people to please read diverse and opposing arguments.....if people are unwilling to do that, what can I say.....I have no intention of playing tit for tat on an anonymous msg board....

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/eli-li...e_hero_related

Eli Lilly launches late-stage antibody treatment trial to be tested in US nursing homes
    Early research suggests monoclonal antibodies can protect from infection.
    It's not funny.

Sylean, if you are looking for decency on the internet I'm afraid you are spending time in the wrong place! The anonymity of the net is what leads to "conversations" many of us would never have in a face to face chat. The very reason most of us have screen names, not that all would be afraid to reveal their true self!

Hot off the presses, as expected Spokane School District is going to start the year using distance learning. Rumor is that the CV District has decided to do the same.

Spokesman Review Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ance-learning/

ZagDad

I can only hope they have a plan for the “no kid left behind” kids... because there will be a bunch.

Go Zags!!

I can only hope they have a plan for the “no kid left behind” kids... because there will be a bunch.
    You would expect that given the situation.

You did not hear it from me but don't be surprised if there are not very many kids "left" behind.

ZagDad

Well I didn’t hear this from you... but last spring they (the school systems) estimated that 30% of our kids didn’t participate in the stay at home schooling.... hope the numbers are better this fall. Lots of kids left at home alone...
    Time will tell.

There were many great thoughtout plans to get the kids back in schools...

Go Zags!!

... but last spring they (the school systems) estimated that 30% of our kids didn’t participate in the stay at home schooling.... hope the numbers are better this fall.
    If the non-participation rate was only 30% you would be lucky.

But if the kid's assignments were not being graded and any work done after they went home did not account for a grade, what incentive did the kids have to do the work. There was very limited, online curriculum for Elementary and Middle School kids. Many teachers, although were supposed to get training for working on "Blackboard" (the online backbone) did not do so and had absolutely no clue how to navigate the online classes. It goes on and on.

However, there are major changes before school goes online next month. Online curriculum is being developed for all grade levels. The backbone program for online learning is moving to MS Teams which the vast majority of teachers are very familiar and the kids will have assignments and tests that will be graded and the kids will be assigned regular grades. I am pretty confident it will be much better than last Spring (not a very high bar). How close will it come to actual, in school education, ask me in January.

ZagDad

My wife has talked with a few of her teacher friends... understand all the teachers will need to learn the online curriculum. Then there are the online problems and connections for ALL kids... not just the ones that have the internet.

You see... not all is as simple as just one high speed connection. Hope they have some techs in place to handle this.

Oh... I think you are up to #224... going to start charging.

Go Zags!!

Oh... I think you are up to #224... going to start charging.

Go Zags!!
    O'k, O'k the first two rounds are on me.

I think SPS already has issued tablets or laptops to the vast majority of their students and has worked with Comcast to get high speed internet connections to all of their student's residences including both residences if a student is shuttled between divorced parents. They had most of this figured out last spring, but you know the old adage, you can lead a horse to water.... Well, you can give a kid a computer and the internet but you can't make them use it for school purposes.

I guess the teacher's are going to be held responsible to teach this fall, student attendance will be taken and district assessment tests will be given. So there is some hope.

Time will tell.

ZagDad