Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Won't Mandate Uniform Return to College Sports

most all of those workers were asymptomatic......its scary when disease can spread that quickly ...however, do we have any perspective on other diseases, ie....flu....would any testing be done if someone at work came down with the flu....would all the employees get tested...???....we are testing everybody now so yes, we will find the virus has spread farther then we would have thought...

I would have liked the authorities to do random testing early on to see just how far the virus has expanded...we'd probably be shocked...

which brings me back to one of my beliefs...if you're vulnerable , maybe stay isolated or at least be dilegent in washing your hands, wearing a mask, Vit d and Vit c, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    which brings me back to one of my beliefs...if you're vulnerable , maybe stay isolated or at least be dilegent in washing your hands, wearing a mask, Vit d and Vit c, etc....
    Sylean, you keep repeating the above statement. Yes there are people who are MORE susceptible than others but since people in every age group have died, been permanently damaged (amputations) and have spent weeks or more in ICU all due to Covid-19, nobody is immune.

Everybody is susceptible, and the sooner people start acting like it, the sooner we will be on the road to recovery. The longer people seem to think they are not susceptible the longer this is going to hang over our heads.

Continuing to tell the most vulnerable to stay home is not a solution. The most vulnerable are not the problem.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 05-27-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Sylean, you keep repeating the above statement. Yes there are people who are MORE susceptible than others but since people in every age group have died, been permanently damaged (amputations) and have spent weeks or more in ICU all due to Covid-19, nobody is immune.

Everybody is susceptible, and the sooner people start acting like it, the sooner we will be on the road to recovery. The longer people seem to think they are not susceptible the longer this is going to hang over our heads.

Continuing to tell the most vulnerable to stay home is not a solution. The most vulnerable are not the problem.

ZagDad
    Thank you.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

"Continuing to tell the most vulnerable to stay home is not a solution"

actually what my point was is that those who are afraid CAN stay home voluntarily.....by all means, stay home.....its your choice...

but why is YOUR choice more important than my choice to live my life?....

I have all the vulnerabilities......its my responsibility to take care of my self, and its NOT my right to demand that people loose their homes and businesses to somehow protect me....

and its not my right to have delayed medical care for everybody else to protect me,me,me...

its selfish what we've done and what we've done is just make all the old, frail people in nursing homes die lonely deaths without family around....we didn't prevent their deaths and infact maybe we hastened their deaths...

people can't see the forest for the trees.....

actually what my point was is that those who are afraid CAN stay home voluntarily.....by all means, stay home.....its your choice...

I have all the vulnerabilities......its my responsibility to take care of my self, and its NOT my right to demand that people loose their homes and businesses to somehow protect me....

and its not my right to have delayed medical care for everybody else to protect me,me,me...

its selfish what we've done and what we've done is just make all the old, frail people in nursing homes die lonely deaths without family around....we didn't prevent their deaths and infact maybe we hastened their deaths...

The trees are being chopped down because the forest identifies the axe handle as wood, so it is one of them.

There are too many arguments, both ways, to reiterate them all here. Please read them all.

Sylean,

The most vulnerable are the ones most likely to die. Dying from Covid-19 is not the same as spreading or catching the Covid-19 virus.

They most vulnerable have little to nothing to do with the spread of the Covid-19 virus. In fact, because of their vulnerability they are the group least likely to spread the Covid-19 virus. If you want to stop the spread of the Covid-19 virus, you have to apply those tactics which have been shown to slow the spread of the virus, at least until a vaccine becomes available. The spread of the virus is not by the people practicing self-distancing, wearing masks and staying at home, the spread of the virus is by those who are not practicing these measures.

Nobody has said stay home, don't live your life, don't open businesses etc. as you continue to note. Go ahead open up the businesses, visit your restaurants, go shopping, etc. but do it in a responsible way.

My wife's boss visited one of the premier restaurants in Spokane to celebrate her daughter's graduation from Gonzaga. When they got there the hostess and server both had their masks wrapped around their neck and refused to put them on. You want to stop the spread of Covid-19, quit worrying about the most vulnerable and worry about the people who refuse to honor the obligations they made when they reopened.

As I said above, the longer people refuse to practice those items which we know slow the spread of Covid-19, the longer we will be in Phase 2 or maybe backslide to Phase 1. You want to get to Phase 3, then a whole lot of people are going to have to act like they want it.

Finally, something you have said that I can get behind.

ZagDad

Sylean,

Let me give you an analogy that may more clearly explain my issue with your position.

When your "choice" only impacts you, your position makes sense. You choose not to wear a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet, when you are involved in a crash (no matter who's fault), only you may pay the penalty for "your" choice. Your choice only impacts you and nobody else.

The second analogy is your choice to smoke. You certainly have the "right" to smoke and the product is legal for sale and purchase. You have the right to smoke, despite the well known, proven dangers that can occur as a result of smoking. Yet despite this "right" to smoke, you are not permitted to smoke inside businesses, movie theaters, arenas, restaurants, bars, etc. Why?

Because your right to smoke does not "trump" the other patrons and employees right to a clean and healthy environment. Your right to smoke does not extend to affecting the health of others.

Unlike the seatbelt or motorcycle helmet analogy, if you choose to not practice self-distancing, wearing a mask, etc. your actions do not only affect you, they affect others around you. Your choice, like smoking in a confined area, certainly does impact others.

If you walked into a restaurant and someone started smoking, would you really ask all the other patrons and employees who do not smoke or who are affected by 2nd hand smoke to "leave" the establishment if they don't like it?

IMO, like smoking, your right to not practice social distancing does not trump my right to a healthy environment and to put my health in danger, because your choices.

ZagDad

I’m thinking a nerve was hit....

Lets not forget our freedoms... they say freedom comes with a risk.

ZD... everyday that you step outside your home you are in the world of taking a risk. The County Health Board and Health Officer have been very much on this Virus for months now and have concluded that we are at a point to start to go back to being able to live with each other as long as we follow certain guide lines and the numbers back it... and yes masks are needed.

This board is to discuss GU WBB...

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    I’m thinking a nerve was hit....

Lets not forget our freedoms... they say freedom comes with a risk.

ZD... everyday that you step outside your home you are in the world of taking a risk. The County Health Board and Health Officer have been very much on this Virus for months now and have concluded that we are at a point to start to go back to being able to live with each other as long as we follow certain guide lines and the numbers back it... and yes masks are needed.

This board is to discuss GU WBB...

Go Zags!!
    Freedom also comes with a responsibility.

Yep...

So I feel the frustration of many forum posters in this thread, so heres a new wrinkle. I feel safe when I go to base everyone on base follows guidelines. Got a haircut today on base everyone wore masks,, barbers wore mask, customers wore mask yes while getting a haircut also, those are the rules, everyone maintained 6 feet except when we got our haircut. Couple of people waited inside, the rest waited outside where they had footprints by the way.

In what I call the civilian world the biggest test for me will be getting nourishment for my soul. I remember one guy in church was way ahead of everyone else knowing what was coming down, looking back with hindsight he usually was the first one to shake your hand and now he held his hands behind his back and claimed he sprained something. Later I learned about Covid-19 still going to church then remember this guy was not coming to church, again he was ahead of the curve. When I started learning more about Covid-19 in the beginning I stop shaking hands in church and told them why. I stopped going to church a few weeks ahead of the guideline from Governor Inslee. However this church with a small congregation has met every week for a shorten sermon and also doing ZOOM. I follow the rules not going to church. But what do you do when many ministers think they have a divine calling and their congregation can't get positive? I called the minister when I got the news about services being allowed for 50 or under people or 25% of available seating which is ever smaller. The minister had previously said he shortened his services to 40 minutes because thats all zoom will do and that why he cut out hymns. Well I loved singing hymns so I asked the minister if he was going back to his full service with hymns?

The Minister said no we are just going to keep doing what we are doing until 14 June which is a date I set. The Pastor said you know we have our own marching orders from God and I am like Paul continuing to do what I see fit. Pastor went on to say we are still shaking hands, and hugging. I am going back Sunday 31 May, their is alway plenty of seating. The pastor said we have nothing roped off, we let people do what they feel comfortable with. The pastor said we have been doing this the last 12 weeks and no one has gotten sick. Note this church never has more than 50 people and its a large church.

Well their you have it that should send most of you posters thru the roof. But I have a spiritual dilemma I have been going to this church for the last 13 years, I like the small congregation, love they still sing the hymns of old from the hymnal. So come Sunday I'm going to fill my soul and go back to church. No I will not be shaking hands, hugging, I will find a seat all by myself if someone sits by me I will move. I will wear a mask. It will be interesting to see if any other people are wearing masks. Will just the minister extended family not wear masks, or will I be the only one wearing a mask, due to the minister believing him and his family have divine protection from getting sick. Yes I will be uncomfortable in this situation, but I will let my opinions be know if confronted and I'm sure the more they hear them I will be given a wide birth.

So their you have two sides of the coin in this back and forth discussion. I would never put myself in this situation elsewhere. Sad part this minister really don't care who he offends, he says and does what he wants always has. Thats why his congregation has always remained small. But like I said I feel at peace at this church reading the bible, while multitasking listening to the sermons, and O those greats hymns stir my soul tremendously.

You will never see me in any public building or church without a mask. Well God Bless
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 05-28-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Another topic on my mind Law Enforcement. One thing their should never be no tolerance for is police brutality IE George Floyds death in Minnesota, no reason anytime to put a knee on the neck, this would never be taught to be done in training. Watching the video I'm still shocked. George told the officer numerous times he could not breath until he went unconscious, bystanders were yelling at the officer to take his knee off his neck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Another topic on my mind Law Enforcement. One thing their should never be no tolerance for is police brutality IE George Floyds death in Minnesota, no reason anytime to put a knee on the neck, this would never be taught to be done in training. Watching the video I'm still shocked. George told the officer numerous times he could not breath until he went unconscious, bystanders were yelling at the officer to take his knee off his neck.
    Agreed. This should be charged as first degree murder and the three officers watching charged as accomplices.

Willandi my week is complete. I have heard of and saw many cases where leaders of institutions are not encouraging or making employees to wear mask right here in Spokane County. As another poster said its a case of employees wearing mask around neck not covering face or nose. Also of public meetings inside buildings where no one is even wearing masks period. I blame all this to poor leadership or bad influence at the top of these organizations. I will not go into detail, just say it was saddening.

Fear over covid 19 is so yesterday. The news finally has something else to cover, with rioting, arson, looting and vandalism going on all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Fear over covid 19 is so yesterday. The news finally has something else to cover, with rioting, arson, looting and vandalism going on all over the country.
    Yeah, You can attend a protest yet those same individuals are not allowed to attend church.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    Yeah, You can attend a protest yet those same individuals are not allowed to attend church.
    You can and should still pray.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Spokane Police Department glimpse into their past history.. Off the top of my head I remember 3 incidents that stuck with me.

1. Otto Zehm mentally handicap guy who had a job on Fairchild Base. Police Officer Karl Thompson Jr. used excessive force on Zehm when their was no reason to use force period. 20 March 2006 Otto Zehm died because of excessive force used by Officer Thompson. Officer Thompson was convicted and sentenced to 4 years and 3 months.

2. Pastor Scott Creach of Green Acres Baptist church was shot and killed on his on property 25 Aug. 2010 where he had his home and plant nursery by a Spokane Valley Police officer Brian Hirzel who was on his property in a unmarked police car. Brian Hirzel was never convicted and continued to work for Spokane Valley Police department. Officer Hirzel was fired in 2015 due to other trouble he had gotten into as a Police officer. The city of Spokane ended up paying the Creach family 2 million dollars.

3. Shonto Pete in Feb. 2007 was shot in the skull as he was running away from off duty Spokane Police Officer Jay Olsen who was coming out of The Brass Rail Bar at 2:30am in the morning with his girlfriend. Officer Olsen was acquitted of charges but then resigned from the force. Shonto Pete survived being shot in the skull.

In a article published by Spokesman Review by Jonathan Glover updated 25 Feb. 2018. He stated since 2008 Spokane Police "has averaged three officer-involved shootings a year, with about two of those three dying". In 2017 "those statistics worsened as five of the eight were shot dead."

Point being their is room for improvement in all Police Departments.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 06-05-2020 at 03:38 PM.

I do think the police attitude changed in our area about 30 yrs ago.....there was an incident right down town where this creep was holding a knife to his gf' or wifes throat right in the middle of the street...the cops had their guns drawn but the arse went and sliced the poor womans throat anyway, killing her instantly.....after that I think our local cops developed a attitude of shoot first, don't wait....I can't blame them in a way....they probably felt very guilty about the death of that woman...

But
    the pendelum has swung too far to the other side...cops are not judge nor jury.. Otto Zehm didn't get justice right away....it took a lot of effort for that cop to be charged/convicted....and with Mr. Creech, no money can undo his death...unjustified IMO....but glad to hear that arrogant cop got finally fired....

I especially get mad when the cops shoot and kill people that they know are suicidal, mentally ill, drunk, or drugged....what ever happened to wounding a suspect, instead of shooting them dead...

but we absolutely need our police and most of them really are great civil servants.....

Michigan Wolverines opened their campus for return of Football and Basketball players, they also announced numerous safety steps they are taking (Good Signs.) In Gonzaga Bulletin 3 June a article said the Gonzaga President announced plans for students to return in the fall.

In 1918 during the Spanish Flu pandemic MLB base ball players batted with a mask on, along with the catcher and home plate empire also wore a mask. When I came across this I was astonished, maybe the athletes of that era while less muscled and big in stature had much more grit than players of our era along with more love of the game. Do you think todays major league players would play with masks. I don't think so and then I ask why is this? Then we have MLB owners so greedy they do not even want to play baseball. NBA players are still not sure they want to play. So back to the mask issue that MLB players seem comfortable wearing Mask while playing during the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic, don't even here that idea mentioned for MLB. Are players less concerned about health than money like MLB Owners. I saw long distance runners running in the big city running together with masks on.
    So why don't people wear masks on during a pandemic today? Its real you have to know that look at the number of deaths in the US alone. I am back going to my church the last 3 weeks because they always have under 50 people. The last 3 weeks we averaged 25 people a service. Some Sundays different people show up. But I am the only one in any of the services that wears a mask. I love singing the hymns out of the hymnals and we have sang 5 songs each week. I have found I can sing just as loud and clear with my mask on. Our last service lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes. Everyone has been good about sitting apart unless its your family. But like in other inside building activities, I ask why do you think no one but me wears a mask in my church? Also I am the only one that will not shake hands or give hugs. I know the minister has said he thinks himself and his congregation is protected with divine protection. When it comes to my church why does not anyone else wear masks? Is it just uncomfortable for them, are they more concerned about their appearance, do they not care about other people, or do they think they have divine intervention?

NBA and MLB seem all screwed up right now. Then we get to the WNBA they have set a 22 game schedule and seem ready to play. Perhaps the WNBA might be the ones that set the example.
    Also wanted to give a shout out to Spokane Mayor she is doing a great job. Leadership is alway important. Bad leadership and you end up with a mess like in Seattle.

Another thought I now think all women basketball teams in the WCC will be playing. And don't think any of the Women basketball programs will be cut for funding, because only the Zags pack the house for basketball games (Ouch). Other arenas are like a ghost town unless its Mens basketball playing. On the other hand the Zags basketball will suffer a double whammy of full kennel for both men and women to empty perhaps.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 06-15-2020 at 09:04 PM.

So new challenge for Women Zags Basketball Players to avoid testing positive for Covid-19. If you test positive you go into quarantine and your team loses you until you test negative a couple of times in a row. So that could change things big time. Imagine if one of the roommates Jenn, Leeanne, or Jill comes up positive. The likely hood of their roommates coming up positive also are extremely high. So just like that you could have 3 starting players in quarantine unable to play. Wow that could change the outcome of games in a hurry. So this is where wearing a mask comes extremely important in the classroom, when your hanging out with other friends wear mask, anytime indoors public building wear a mask. Will you give into peer pressure and not wear your mask because the other kids are not wearing theirs that your hanging out with?

Any of the Women Zags not being responsible wearing their mask around other people could endanger the whole team. So I believe the top team this year will be the most discipline team, most responsible, the ones that take Covid-19 the most serious. I could see different teams having to play without their top players due to Covid-19.

MLB, NBA, WNBA will be interesting to watch when they all start playing games, to see how they handle Covid-19. Are some sports able to put Ego aside and wear masks. I thinks all batters, umpires, catchers, baserunners in MLB should be required to wear masks just like they did in 1918 Spanish Flu.

Do you remember how the sports stopped it was when one NBA player tested positive. Well we now know all sports are going to have positives going forward, usually because a lot of people still think I won't get it and don't take precautions. So it comes down to Zags Women coach's, players, and any staff taking Covid-19 serious. This comes by setting a good example, practice what you preach. Hope coach's remember players health and safety should always be number 1 priority, don't put your players in bad positions or situations.

So what do we have like 4 coaches, 16 players, trainer, doctor, male practice players, numbers add up quick. Perhaps the male practice players bring Covid-19 to the team, or coach's not wearing mask. Like I said I think the team that takes the most precautions for Covid-19 this year, could be the team that comes out on top.

Another thought could basketball players play with masks? Another concerning thing in Spokane most of all the recent positives for Covid-19 are young people. Guessing because they are taking no precautions for Covid-19.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 06-18-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Katie Campbell made a last statement saying to current Zag players play each game like its your last. In this crazy time we live in now, thats especially true for Seniors.

It still seems like professional sports can't get it together. MLB baseball players after telling the owners just tell us when and where and we will be their. Well MLB owners told them and gave them 60 games. The players then decided they did not no longer want when and where but wanted more money. MLB owners billionaires and MLB players millionaires nothing but greed no love of the game. NBA players changing their minds after they made a written agreement.

So lets bring it back to the Lady Zags. Dr. Faucci says 2nd round of Covid-19 is coming in October and winter.

Right now it does not look like Spokane County can get to phase 3 unless Mayor Woodward can get Governor Inlsee to relax his guidelines for us to reach phase 3. Like I said before I see phase 3 for us happening in July, warmer weather coming can't hurt. While I still feel we will reach phase 4, or 3.5 in later August before school starts in September. All the colleges in the WCC need to get their protocols for Covid 19 done now with planning and precision. The coaches, players, staff, etc. should be aware of the protocols before school even starts. I believe college players still have that love of the game and they all want to play, now its up to athletic directors to protect our players.

Older people seem to have a harder time bouncing back from Covid-19. Lets estimate the Zags coachs age 39-45 years old. Lisa 39, Stacy 42, etc. So lets say the coaches sit right next to each other without masks, or in a small meeting room and one coach tests positive, chances are all coaches would end up testing positive. Now you have no coach on side lines. Do we have a player/coach or a student coach? Lets say the coaches kids come back from school and test positive for Covid-19 and they give it to their parents, who spread it to fellow coaches. You see so many scenarios.

Another scary thing is each school in the WCC will likely set up their own safety procedures for Covid-19. Will some schools be less stringent than others? Well the Zags have the nicest facilities and most alumni support so I hope they put maximum effort into protecting (Covid-19 safety protocols) those that play inside sports IE Men and Womens basketball.

Mark Few is a smart guy very conservative and not one to take risks have a feeling he will have a tight rein on this (Covid-19). Lisa Fortier on the other hand seems more of a risk taker, social butterfly, bit concerning (Covid-19).

Spokane county 43 new positives Covid-19 today. Wow Phase 3 not looking good. Wonder if this spike is coming from the protesters or if this is still to come?

Will warmer temperatures help us? Lately Florida and Arizona are getting hit hardest with Covid-19. For instance today Florida had 3,822 new cases and Arizona had 3,246 new cases today.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 06-19-2020 at 10:06 AM.

NBA and WNBA decisions to play their games in Florida does not look smart now. Florida and Arizona are two of the worst spots to be in the USA for Coronavirus right now. Today Florida reported 4,046 new cases and Arizona 3,246 new cases for Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Today Florida reported 4,046 new cases and Arizona 3,246 new cases for Covid-19.
    But ... just a couple of weeks ago I read that "fear over covid 19 is so yesterday"! Are you guilty of being old fashioned? Are you guilty of trying to make your point by quoting facts? And anyway, aren't you aware that many of these figures are inaccurate (undercounted) because several federal agencies and authorities from several states have discouraged/prohibited employees from making public the actual COVID test, hospitalization, intubation, and death statistics?
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    But ... just a couple of weeks ago I read that "fear over covid 19 is so yesterday"!
    Well that was me. Mostly sarcasm because covid 19 had been completely pushed out of the news cycle. It appears to be trying to make a comeback in the news cycle.