Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Won't Mandate Uniform Return to College Sports

Come on now ZAB, U.S. and Canada are about as apples and oranges as you can get in regards to spread of covid. Roughly the same square mileage for each country, but population of Canada is about 37 million compared to about 336 million in the U.S. Population density matters. Canada has about 1/10 the number of people we do. You don't have to be a genius to figure out why that makes a difference.

I looked at this a little more. Canada obviously has densely populated cities as well. Toronto+Montreal+Vancouver aren't that far behind New York+Los Angeles+Chicago. Outside of those 3 plus a few other major cities and and you have a whole lot of space without many people.

Really hard to trust the numbers... specially when agendas drive them.

Example... this week we heard and read about the Covid numbers exploding in Idaho... then the Review headlines that the Kootenai Health critical care is at max. One would think by the headlines that because of covid exploding in Idaho that the critical care unit was maxed due to covid... only to read that the unit had 22 non covid patients and only 4 covid patients. So with the North Idaho explosion you have 4 hospitalized and still 1 death... hopefully no others.

Over 40 million tested in the United States... have we ever done that for any other Virus? H1N1?

Sorry folks... I have lost all faith in the Media and the Numbers... keep the face masks and move on with life.

Back to WBB!!

Go Zags!!

I started writing a long, scientific exposition, but figured most would ignore it. All I can say is that Idaho is in a very dark place when it comes to COVID-19, and I don't think most Idahoans know it. I will happily show you the evidence, if asked. I spent many a year in the Idaho healthcare system (Boise, Pocatello, others), and know it well. I don't know all the details about the panhandle, BUT deaths in Idaho will be seven times what they are now (currently 135) by November 1. I know you are trying to be positive, but sorry, Idaho is most definitely not a good example. If anyone is crossing the border simply to shop without a mask, think twice. Washington's numbers and projections are far, far better. Idaho is the #5 state in the country in viral spread today (and Montana is now faring even worse). Washington is fortunately now #47, which is amazing. Sigh. All my favorite places are becoming ones you really don't want to be in.

Over 40 million tested in the United States... have we ever done that for any other Virus? H1N1?
    Nope. We just passed H1N1 (the swine variety, not the 1918 one, when we didn't know that viruses existed). Tells you how serious this is.

Thanks Cad... great info... but I hope you are wrong on Idaho. I have spent a lot of time in the panhandle over the years. This past week... three days on and around the lake... they are aware and do a pretty good job of distance or coverup.

Is this virus worse than H1N1 or is it Media and Politics that makes it that way? I have seen some pretty terrible numbers on H1N1. Not saying Covid isn’t bad... just over played. Hard to watch or read the news. I think I understood it in March... now it’s old news that’s headlined and covered everyday. Now to exit to my boat...

Either way... mask up or distance and stay safe.

Go Zags..

PS: Looks like the WIAA has a plan for the kids... and it looks like there was thought put into it. Really hope it works... for the kids.

Florida is a prime example of the worst leadership by a Governor during Covid-19. Now Florida is paying the price with no end in sight because of no action by the Governor. Today Florida had 173 new deaths and over 10,000 new cases every day.

Cad please do expand on Idaho, peoples eyes need to be opened.

Aliyah Marsh was just 25-years-old when she died suddenly on Tuesday, July 21. Her death marks a tragic milestone: the first person under 30 to die in Spokane County as a result of the coronavirus.

Aliyah Marsh
    According to a statement released on behalf of her family, Marsh and her fiancé, Adam, had been nearing the end of their quarantine when she began to experience trouble breathing overnight. She went unconscious the next day before her family realized how serious the situation was and could get her to an ER.

"We are in absolute shock as she had only experienced mild symptoms as a young, vibrant 25-year-old who was busy planning her wedding," the statement said. "Losing her to this illness and preparing to bury her was not something we could have ever imagined."

Aliyah Marsh
    Marsh's family continued to say that they are not looking for sympathy, only hope that others will use their experience to their own benefit.

"Maybe, like us, you didn't really know what COVID-19 was capable of. Now that you know, the question is simply what you are going to do to protect yourselves and your families."

The full statement can be read here:

"On behalf of the family of Aliyah Marsh

Our precious Aliyah (Alli) Marsh passed away suddenly in her home from symptoms associated with Covid-19 at 3 p.m. Tuesday, July 21 after the valiant efforts by paramedics to do everything they could to resuscitate her. Alli and her fiancé, Adam, were nearing the end of their quarantine when she began to experience difficulty breathing overnight, and then went unconscious the next day before we realized how serious the situation was and could get her to the ER. We are in absolute shock as she had only experienced mild symptoms as a young, vibrant 25-year-old who was busy planning her wedding —losing her to this illness and preparing to bury her was not something we could have ever imagined.

For all of you who love Alli like we do, we are so sorry. We are sorry for this community, who has lost a true treasure … a young woman with a smile and a spark that could light up any darkness.

We are not seeking sympathy, we are simply hoping that you will use our experience to your own benefit. Maybe, like us, you didn’t really know what Covid-19 was capable of. Now that you know, the question is simply what you are going to do to protect yourselves and your families. We understand that certain preventative measures are not realistic for everyone as we all need to work, but please please take this opportunity to do whatever you can do to prevent this from happening to your family or others. We can no longer act like we don’t really know what this virus can do.

Thank you for the outpouring of support and love for our family. We are blessed by every bit of love and comfort so many of you have offered."
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 07-23-2020 at 09:28 PM.

NYS state has had 32500 deaths...Florida 5500.....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    You're comparing apples to anvils. NYS was hit so much earlier that they had no time to prepare. Additionally, the density of NYC turned a Petri dish into a condensed Petri dish (NJ as well). Florida had MONTHS of time to prepare, and the medical knowledge that NY unfortunately had to adversely bear. Florida now has 10 times the cases per day as NY, and they are very closely approaching the number of cases per million in total as NY (only 4,000 away). The elderly in FL learned their lesson from NY, and are hiding away. The skyrocketing cases in FL are due to careless younger people that feel they're invulnerable, and will eventually spread it to vulnerable people.

Florida's death rate on a graph looks like a hockey stick. It goes straight and level for a long way, but when you hit the curve, it goes way, way, up. That's exponential growth. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192 with each generation of transmission. The numbers get really, really big after that. There are 5,518 deaths in Florida if you believe their numbers (I don't -- it's much, much higher. They don't include any out of state residents in their numbers, in one of the most vacationed spots in the country -- no other state does that. They've fudged the numbers in a half dozen other ways as well). Florida is projected to have upwards of 14,000 deaths by November 1, nearly three times the current count (and that will be the "official" fudged numbers). My expectation is that Florida will have substantially more than that, particularly when they open schools with nary a precaution in place.

So thankful that Washington is not anything like Florida. They haven't hit their peak yet for daily deaths...maybe Aug. 6 or 7. A second wave in the Fall isn't out of the question either.

What's Plan B if there's no COVID-19 vaccine?

An interesting take from NBC News:

What's Plan B if there's no COVID-19 vaccine?
    Benjy Sarlin

Americans struggling through the worsening coronavirus outbreak got some rare good news this week as researchers delivered encouraging updates about potential vaccines. Even Dr. Anthony Fauci, whose gloomy warnings have frustrated President Donald Trump, has sounded consistently enthusiastic about the prospects.

It’s a heartening thought that even as the country has failed to contain the virus or implement the kinds of public health measures experts have called for, there’s a deus ex machina coming to rescue us if we can just hold out long enough.

But some experts are worried about Americans getting too used to the idea that a miracle vaccine or treatment is around the corner. While there’s broad agreement the latest news is promising, some are concerned that the prospect of future relief could breed complacency amid raging outbreaks that are killing hundreds of people each day.

“I think we absolutely have to have a backup plan in place,” Carl Bergstrom, a biologist at the University of Washington, said. “It's something that’s not talked about enough.”

Even in a best-case scenario, the country may be six months or more away from widespread inoculations. And we may not be in a best-case scenario, which could require policymakers and the public to develop plans for the long haul.

That has some people nervous. Ken Frazier, CEO of the pharmaceutical giant Merck, recently warned that anyone hyping a medical breakthrough before 2021 was doing a “grave disservice to the public” given the inherent challenges of developing and administering a vaccine.

The reality of the world is that this time next year very well may look like what we're experiencing now,” Frazier said in an interview with Harvard Business School professor Tsedal Neeley. "I think when we do tell people that a vaccine's coming right away, we allow politicians to actually tell the public not to do the things that the public needs to do, like wear the damn masks,” he added.
    Entire Article can be found here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wh...bIS?li=BBorjTa

Watching TV, and seeing all the side effects of various prescription medications, knowing they went through years of controlled testing before they were released. Whenever a Covid-19 vaccine is developed and released, you can be assured that it will have been tested over a very short period of time and side effects will be present but may not manifest themselves until years down the road (ie Zantac).

Just how quickly does one want to be first in line to get the vaccine?

ZagDad

Florida indifference in taking precautions for coronavirus is now hitting their state in all faucets of life. Deaths, cases, sports etc.
    MLB has just got underway this past Thursday and Friday for all MLB teams. Well the Florida Marlins baseball team just had 11 players and 2 coaches test positive for coronavirus and had to cancel their 2nd series of games, along with the team they played Philadelphia having to quarantine. So already Florida is causing 4 MLB teams to cancel games. As the story goes you are only strong as your weakest link which MLB is finding out with Florida.

So I watched quite a few MLB games and the Sky verses the Aces WNBA game. Here are some thoughts in MLB players as a whole don't seem to following MLB safety protocols. Example today I saw a MLB coach walk to the mound, where the pitcher and 3 other players stood on the mound right next to each other, I saw numerous players spitting in game including a catcher, in the dugout numerous players were not wearing masks and standing right next to each other. I saw just a few players playing or batting with masks on, only a few. In the WNBA Sky game I did see Vandersloot put on hand sanitizer just before coming off the bench. I saw MLB coaches on 1B not wearing masks talking right into the face of runners at 1st base no distance between them. I saw Detroit Tigers manager alway wearing his mask on his chin despite being a old manager. Its no wonder when one player gets Covid-19 its spreads fast.

The few MLB players I did seeing batting with mask did a great job hitting homers and getting base hits. Also the few MLB players I saw wearing mask in the field the mask did not hinder them in their fielding either they did a great job. You must understand a player is not required to wear a mask at bat or in the field. Although in 1918 epidemic all players and umpires did. It just seems in todays society few people are willing to make the sacrifice to wear masks and protect others.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 07-27-2020 at 09:45 PM.

It is not all bad ZAB.

The NWSL (women's professional soccer league) just finished a month long tournament consisting of round-robin seeding games, play-offs and the championship very successfully. The games were all played in Utah and all players and team personnel had to play in a bubble.

World Team Tennis (played in West Virginia) is going on right now and they seem to be taking it very serious. When a player (American Woman) left the resort (bubble) she was immediately dismissed from the team. It has been going on for a couple of weeks and it seems to be working so far. We will see if it continues.

Of course golf seems to be working pretty well without the fans.

Nascar, Indy Car, NHRA, motorcycle racing and others seem to have had a few cases pop up, but quick quarantine of the affected people seem to have limited outbreak to just a couple (few) of individuals. Racing is starting to let a percentage of fans into the races now.

WNBA and the NBA are just beginning with their bubbles, we will see how they fair.

MLB certainly appears not to be very serious about the virus.

I don't see how the NFL is going to start here shortly without any sort of bubble.

Time will tell.

ZagDad

MLB Miami Marlins now have 17 members of their team test positive for Covid-19 in the last 5 days. Opposing teams players do not want to play them and MLB have been canceling their games.

This is a good learning tool for CLF and the WCC how seriously you take Covid-19 and what steps are you prepared to take. Perhaps CLF banning all player huddles on and off the court at all times, no high fiving, all coaches wear mask at all times, all players wear masks on bench, training your players not to touch their face while on the basketball court, players and coaches sitting far apart on the sidelines, no handshakes with referees, no hand slaps with opposing players after the game, before they go on the court and when they come off the court sanitize their hands every time.

A whole team like the Lady Zags season can go up in smoke very quickly. Would encourage Lady Zags coach to watch WNBA teams games and see the precautions players are taking during their games, and also what precautions are they not taking in protecting themselves from Covid-19. And of course don't forget locker rooms distancing, safety precautions engrained in your players 24 hours a day in all their actions.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 07-28-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    amazing stat considering the news coverage

Heres some disturbing facts for you, particular God forbid Covid-19 strikes someone we love. Just in the last couple of days Spokane death toll has gone from 47 to 52 deaths. Think your safe because of age, then read above about the 25 year old Spokane girl who died from Covid-19 who's was planning her wedding now her mother has to plan her funeral.

Also In Spokane their are 41 people currently hospitalized for Covid-19.

Florida had 186 deaths today, California 169, Texas 121, Arizona, 104, Total 1,266 deaths from Covid-19 today in the US.

Starting date for the local High School near me last year was last week in August. Sitting where we are now with 1 month away from that date, I can see nothing but online learning for our local high schools to start the year.

The scary part it is younger people that are spreading Covid-19 and not taking it serious.

Back to sports MLB has canceled Miami Marlins games through Sunday at this time, and their opponents who the Marlins were playing before their Covid-19 outbreak the Phillies had their games canceled through Friday at this time.

Something to remember while your watching WNBA basketball now or NBA basketball starting 30 July is they are all playing in a bubble. Meaning college basketball will be fighting a much harder battle to start play and then keep on playing. The good news we still have 3 months before games start to get it right preparing and fighting Covid-19.

Chicago Sky off to a good start won their second game today now 2-0. Vandersloot 11 points, 10 assists.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 07-29-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    amazing stat considering the news coverage
    Unfortunately with today's record for deaths, Florida will double that 5,500 number within a month if things don't slow down.

ZagDad

It's not like the situation in New York wasn't covered when they were going through the worst of their outbreak, but with almost 17 times more people dying in Florida than New York yesterday, it seems odd to suggest it's somehow out of line that they're the main story now.
    Agent provocateur

SPOKANE, Wash. - Gonzaga University has detailed more of its plans for the 2020 fall semester as it seeks to offer flexibility towards students while planning for reopening during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We at GU have been thinking of you through this difficult time and have been striving to create a strong plan for Fall Semester 2020: a plan which recognizes that we are in the midst of an international emergency without modern parallel, and a plan nimble enough to accommodate changing circumstances and varied needs – while remaining absolutely committed to your safety and providing you with an exceptional educational experience," a letter from GU President Thayne McCulloh reads.

Gonzaga says it has encouraged faculty to determine the mode of course delivery that best supports the subject matter they're teaching, while also respecting the right of the faculty member to work in a manner supporting their own health and that of their family.

Students should expect courses to be taught dynamically and remotely. Some courses would be offered face-to-face while others could be in a hybrid part-remote, part in-person format.

Professors are also being asked to offer courses in an interactive remote-delivery mode where possible, in order to help maximize flexibility for students who may not be able to return to campus.

GU additionally does plan to offer courses that involve intensive lab, studio, clinical or similar work on campus where they can safely do so pending authorization.

Gonzaga will suspend its on-campus living requirement for first and second-year students for the 2020-21 academic year, but housing and dining options will still be available.

On-and-off campus activities are likely to be limited for the academic year due to COVID-19 restrictions.

GU students will receive a survey link next week to answer questions about fall 2020 plans.

Death toll rising Covid-19. Texas 257 deaths today, Florida 216, California 195. US reporting 1,485 deaths today.

It should be noted thinks are not getting better in any of the 3 above states, all 3 had nearly 10,000 new cases today.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 07-30-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Gonzaga University releases updated plan for returning to campus this fall
    Posted: July 28, 2020 7:14 PM
    by Emily Oliver
    SPOKANE, Wash. — Gonzaga University updated its plan on Tuesday for when students return to campus this fall, outlining a learning model that includes both in-person and online instruction.

According to a letter sent to students and families, the university is encouraging faculty to deliver course content in the best way possible based on subject matter.

Lecture courses more easily taught online, like humanities and math, will likely be offered remotely. Science labs and other more “hands-on” courses will be offered on campus and face-to-face.

Regardless, students will have the option to learn remotely, the university said.

The university is also suspending its on-campus residency requirement, which previously required all first and second year students to live in an on-campus residence facility.

Students who opt to live at home instead will have any pre-paid room and board charges refunded.

All international students returning to campus will have to confirm that they’re enrolled in at least one in-person or hybrid course to maintain their F-1 status.

Students will receive a Return to Campus Guide this week, which will detail protocols for safely navigating the pandemic.

8 Ways the U.S. Should "Reset" the Coronavirus Response:
    Leah Groth

As the number of coronavirus infections in the United States continues to climb past 4.5 million, researchers are scrambling to figure out how we are going to effectively flatten the curve. On Wednesday, scholars at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security released a new detailed report suggesting how the federal, state and local governments can get control of the deadly pandemic.

"Unlike many countries in the world, the United States is not currently on course to get control of this epidemic," they pointed out in the report. "It is time to reset." The report included 10 recommendations that will help the US get back to baseline. Here are the most important takeaways you need to know about.
    To see the recommendations, you are going to have to click on the link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/8-...h1p?li=BBnb7Kz

ZagDad

What would a day be like without the covid being drilled to us...

Just finished reading a couple of articles on other concerns that the CDC has about our youth and not being allowed to go back to school... suicide and drug abuse is up considerably.

They also were concerned with the single parent family with regards to learning from home. Highest they have found is around 70% being taught... that’s a lot of lost education. Any thought how to get them caught back up?

I have a daughter-in-law that works with the K-5 children with needs... she’s extremely concerned for her kids... the only stability they have is school. Also they are the eyes for abuse...

And last... CDC said that teachers may be safer working around kids... their passing of covid is much lower than the adult population..

It’s time for us to step away from the covid and look at all the other harm that is being missed... we are better than that.

There isn’t a day go by that this virus isn’t headlined...

Go Zags!!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt..._headlines_hed

"Twenty hyperbaric patients, predominantly men age 30 to 79, received up to five 90-minute treatments during the month-long study. Gorenstein said almost all experienced relief of symptoms once sealed inside the clear tube, similar in shape to the old iron lungs once used to treat polio. Some went from having unresponsive “deer-in-the-headlights” dazes to being alert and engaged, while others reported being able to sleep afterward for the first time in days. Eighteen of those patients recovered and were discharged within days or weeks."

"The control group saw a significantly higher rate of intubations, deaths, and long-term hospitalizations. However, both Gorenstein and Lee stressed that the trial, which will soon be published, was too small to draw any solid conclusions"
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt..._headlines_hed

"Twenty hyperbaric patients, predominantly men age 30 to 79, received up to five 90-minute treatments during the month-long study. Gorenstein said almost all experienced relief of symptoms once sealed inside the clear tube, similar in shape to the old iron lungs once used to treat polio. Some went from having unresponsive “deer-in-the-headlights” dazes to being alert and engaged, while others reported being able to sleep afterward for the first time in days. Eighteen of those patients recovered and were discharged within days or weeks."

"The control group saw a significantly higher rate of intubations, deaths, and long-term hospitalizations. However, both Gorenstein and Lee stressed that the trial, which will soon be published, was too small to draw any solid conclusions"
    Not terribly surprising. Hyperbaric O2 is the standard treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning, when car exhaust pretends to be oxygen in your blood, but it's not, and then it usually kills you. HBO treatments put you in a pressure tank that increases the air (O2 pressure and it shoves the CO off of hemoglobin so regular O2 can work again).

Getting this treatment is like having a super oxygen blown in your lungs. Maybe 1 in ten thousand might get to have this submariner type of treatment. And only if you can find it in a city that even has one of these contraptions (In Washington, Seattle, Tacoma and maybe Spokane).

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    What would a day be like without the covid being drilled to us...
    Possibly a normal day before we had a mass-killing pandemic approaching 200,000 deaths?

Just finished reading a couple of articles on other concerns that the CDC has about our youth and not being allowed to go back to school... suicide and drug abuse is up considerably.
    But not as much as the increases in COVID infections that are causing both children hospitalizations, deaths, and Kawasaki's disease in children.

They also were concerned with the single parent family with regards to learning from home. Highest they have found is around 70% being taught... that’s a lot of lost education. Any thought how to get them caught back up?
    We deal with what we have. If people dying is of any concern, then we have to adjust. If 2+2 equals grandma being dead, then is that a bigger concern?

I have a daughter-in-law that works with the K-5 children with needs... she’s extremely concerned for her kids... the only stability they have is school. Also they are the eyes for abuse...
    Half my entire family has been in the vocation of helping children with disabilities (blind, deaf, mental and physical disabilities). My biggest concern is if they have N95 masks if they're going to teach. A dead teacher doesn't teach well. Get your DIL an N95 or KN95 mask. Show her you care.

And last... CDC said that teachers may be safer working around kids... their passing of covid is much lower than the adult population..
    One recent study showed that kids 10-19 spread the virus equally as adults. A second recent study showed that infected kids under 10 have gobs of coronavirus living in their nasal passages...more than other age groups. They may not get as sick, but they have plenty of viral burden to share with classmates, TEACHERS, parents, and grandparents, according to this study.

It’s time for us to step away from the covid and look at all the other harm that is being missed... we are better than that.
    Yes, we are better than that. We should be following the science and not social media posts or bad news media. This is what gets people killed.

There isn’t a day go by that this virus isn’t headlined...
    With good reason.

Go Zags!!
    A sentence I can agree with.

=cad=

Cad...Was waiting for you to come after me....

You see... I figured you would go after anyone that may not look at this as a scientist. I’m a plain old commoner.. that has lived long enough to know that things can be construed to follow an agenda. While I know this is a serious virus, I also know that it has been overplayed. And for a reason.
    We live in a world where we deal with disease all the time... my father passed from cancer, my brother from heart disease.

I read a lot... while not science journals, I know very well what is garbage, what I read as I stated was from the CDC! I do not try to push the media crap.

So Cad... keep us up to date with you thoughts... you can add good info. And for us with other degrees and experience, you might try to understand where we are coming from. They say if you want, you can learn something new everyday.

Go Zags!!