• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hockeyzag
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Jul 2007

Ranking All 22 Mark Few Recruiting Classes

How is this article by The Slipper Still Fits not being discussed in BZ's Field House?!?!

Fantastic content to dissect. I think anyone would be hard pressed to disagree with their choice for #1.

I would really love for them to revisit this in about 3-4 years. I have a strong feeling our 2019 and 2020 classes will end up much higher on this list.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.
  • GorgeZag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Fun article. I'd like to see a version without transfers and walk ons.

Comment

• sheps001
      Kennel Club Material
      • Dec 2011

Thanks for taking taking the time and i am sure you spent a lot of time on this one. Go Zags!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
        Administrator
        • Apr 2009

I’m surprised that this article didn’t prompt more discussion on this board.
        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• TravelinZag
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
          I’m surprised that this article didn’t prompt more discussion on this board.
          I am not. Suspect lots of discussion of class A should be placed two positions higher or class B should be eight spots lower. Some of those points might have been interesting. However, few (if any) would have matched the diligence of the original poster.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
            Administrator
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
            I am not. Suspect lots of discussion of class A should be placed two positions higher or class B should be eight spots lower. Some of those points might have been interesting. However, few (if any) would have matched the diligence of the original poster.
            That’s probably true. There wasn’t a single class that I would have moved by more than 2-3 slots up or down and those were mostly classes in the middle of the rankings.

What did interest me was the sheer number of names that have come and gone over the years. There are a lot of young men who wore Gonzaga uniforms who barely played. A good recruiting class often has just two high level starters and one or two contributing role players. We tend to think that a program needs to bring in 4-5 absolute studs with each class. That isn’t necessarily true.
            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• tyra
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Big grievance here! The #5 ranked class (2007) failed to list Andrew Sorenson. I mean, I loved Rem B but I have always felt that Andrew was the original walk on who brought pure Bench Joy to the team. And here’s to all the walk ons who work their tails off months (and sometimes years) on end for precious little in the way of playing time!

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tyra View Post
                Big grievance here! The #5 ranked class (2007) failed to list Andrew Sorenson. I mean, I loved Rem B but I have always felt that Andrew was the original walk on who brought pure Bench Joy to the team. And here’s to all the walk ons who work their tails off months (and sometimes years) on end for precious little in the way of playing time!
                tyra for threeeeee !!!

“Banks” it in ....
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Working...
                X