• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Here's some hope!!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/...i=BBnb4R7We'll see what happens but if the Pro's can do this without consequences ( that's the hard part) so early in the year, can the college game be only months behind??
    Sets a precedent and I do hope it goes well.
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

I was listening to Greg Byrne, Alabama Athletic Director, on Golic and Wingo this morning. He says he wants to keep USC on his schedule until he can't. He also said comprehensive testing was going to be part of their plan both for the university and athletics. There is still a tremendous amount of unknowns and he said Alabama and the NCAA are adapting stances and policies as things change.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Markburn1
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2015

Has anyone seen a reference, a study, any kind of mention about the virus affecting athletes from professional leagues, colleges and high schools? Is it, as I suspect, an infinitesimal number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths?

How does that factor into decisions to play games? Maybe it’s the old fart coaches that need to coach remotely. Maybe put a monitor in their usual seat and have them give direction from a coaches box away from the court or field.

Comment

• LTownZag
        Banned
        • Mar 2017

I haven’t seen anything about athletes in particular but you extrapolate from healthy 20somethings.

The games and crowds as a covid risk isn’t about the players, it’s about the crowds, staffs, ushers, vendors, etc

Comment

• Markburn1
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
          I haven’t seen anything about athletes in particular but you extrapolate from healthy 20somethings.

The games and crowds as a covid risk isn’t about the players, it’s about the crowds, staffs, ushers, vendors, etc
          The game is certainly about the players. If the thought is to play games without crowds....

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I will survive if we cannot see the Zags in person until next year 2021---if that is what it takes to get Zag basketball back (even as a season ticket holder)--- in lieu of the alternative.

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Bundesliga started this weekend without crowds. A bit odd, but there was sports on so I was happy. I’m a FC Bayern supporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                Has anyone seen a reference, a study, any kind of mention about the virus affecting athletes from professional leagues, colleges and high schools? Is it, as I suspect, an infinitesimal number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths?

How does that factor into decisions to play games? Maybe it’s the old fart coaches that need to coach remotely. Maybe put a monitor in their usual seat and have them give direction from a coaches box away from the court or field.
                It much to report. Most victims are not young , healthy and in shape. It’s primarily an older persons disease.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                  It much to report. Most victims are not young , healthy and in shape. It’s primarily an older persons disease.
                  I think anyone and everyone is susceptible to the disease but some suffer more adverse effects.
                  - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• zagfan24
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2008

OT a bit but Marquette, where I adjunct one class a semester, just moved fall semester to start a week earlier and end in person prior to thanksgiving. So students will move home before that break, take all finals online, and hopefully return in late January.

Comment

• Markburn1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                      That’s what I was getting at Doc. If the athletes were in danger we would have heard about it. There are always outliers but I have yet to hear of young healthy athletes in any kind of appreciable peril.

Comment

• LTownZag
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                        That’s what I was getting at Doc. If the athletes were in danger we would have heard about it. There are always outliers but I have yet to hear of young healthy athletes in any kind of appreciable peril.
                        The athletes aren’t in significant danger. That hasn’t been a serious concern for weeks, if ever. The reason that ncaa,mlb, nba,etc cancelled is because players make ups tiny fraction of the tens of thousands of people who meet up and share airspace for 3 hours at these events. They also cancelled greyhound races. This wasn’t out of concern for the greyhounds.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
                          OT a bit but Marquette, where I adjunct one class a semester, just moved fall semester to start a week earlier and end in person prior to thanksgiving. So students will move home before that break, take all finals online, and hopefully return in late January.
                          I've seen other schools opting for that route. Montana State moved their start date 2 weeks up so to end before Thanksgiving. Cuts down on people traveling and then coming back to school. I've also seen mention of some schools pushing back the start of spring semester a week or two. Starting later in the spring cuts down on the amount of flu/cold season that would be spent on campus.

Comment

• Markburn1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                            The athletes aren’t in significant danger. That hasn’t been a serious concern for weeks, if ever. The reason that ncaa,mlb, nba,etc cancelled is because players make ups tiny fraction of the tens of thousands of people who meet up and share airspace for 3 hours at these events. They also cancelled greyhound races. This wasn’t out of concern for the greyhounds.
                            You are missing the point. The athletes aren't in danger so if the powers that be want to resume games without fans it shouldn't be a big concern that the athletes health will be affected. I'm not referencing anything about crowds showing up to watch.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

I put together a chart from CDC data and it was erased. This was in response to questions about Covid risks to athletes. The only opinion I included in the post was a very obvious conclusion from the data. It wasn’t political or religious. Is there an agenda that I interfered with?

Comment

Working...
                              X