Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Here's some hope!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,537

    Default Here's some hope!!

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/...nb4R7We'll see what happens but if the Pro's can do this without consequences ( that's the hard part) so early in the year, can the college game be only months behind??
    Sets a precedent and I do hope it goes well.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,673

    Default

    I was listening to Greg Byrne, Alabama Athletic Director, on Golic and Wingo this morning. He says he wants to keep USC on his schedule until he can't. He also said comprehensive testing was going to be part of their plan both for the university and athletics. There is still a tremendous amount of unknowns and he said Alabama and the NCAA are adapting stances and policies as things change.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Has anyone seen a reference, a study, any kind of mention about the virus affecting athletes from professional leagues, colleges and high schools? Is it, as I suspect, an infinitesimal number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths?


    How does that factor into decisions to play games? Maybe it’s the old fart coaches that need to coach remotely. Maybe put a monitor in their usual seat and have them give direction from a coaches box away from the court or field.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    I haven’t seen anything about athletes in particular but you extrapolate from healthy 20somethings.

    The games and crowds as a covid risk isn’t about the players, it’s about the crowds, staffs, ushers, vendors, etc

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I haven’t seen anything about athletes in particular but you extrapolate from healthy 20somethings.

    The games and crowds as a covid risk isn’t about the players, it’s about the crowds, staffs, ushers, vendors, etc
    The game is certainly about the players. If the thought is to play games without crowds....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,488

    Default

    I will survive if we cannot see the Zags in person until next year 2021---if that is what it takes to get Zag basketball back (even as a season ticket holder)--- in lieu of the alternative.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,673

    Default

    Bundesliga started this weekend without crowds. A bit odd, but there was sports on so I was happy. I’m a FC Bayern supporter.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Has anyone seen a reference, a study, any kind of mention about the virus affecting athletes from professional leagues, colleges and high schools? Is it, as I suspect, an infinitesimal number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths?


    How does that factor into decisions to play games? Maybe it’s the old fart coaches that need to coach remotely. Maybe put a monitor in their usual seat and have them give direction from a coaches box away from the court or field.
    It much to report. Most victims are not young , healthy and in shape. It’s primarily an older persons disease.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    It much to report. Most victims are not young , healthy and in shape. It’s primarily an older persons disease.
    I think anyone and everyone is susceptible to the disease but some suffer more adverse effects.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    OT a bit but Marquette, where I adjunct one class a semester, just moved fall semester to start a week earlier and end in person prior to thanksgiving. So students will move home before that break, take all finals online, and hopefully return in late January.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    It much to report. Most victims are not young , healthy and in shape. It’s primarily an older persons disease.
    That’s what I was getting at Doc. If the athletes were in danger we would have heard about it. There are always outliers but I have yet to hear of young healthy athletes in any kind of appreciable peril.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    That’s what I was getting at Doc. If the athletes were in danger we would have heard about it. There are always outliers but I have yet to hear of young healthy athletes in any kind of appreciable peril.
    The athletes aren’t in significant danger. That hasn’t been a serious concern for weeks, if ever. The reason that ncaa,mlb, nba,etc cancelled is because players make ups tiny fraction of the tens of thousands of people who meet up and share airspace for 3 hours at these events. They also cancelled greyhound races. This wasn’t out of concern for the greyhounds.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    OT a bit but Marquette, where I adjunct one class a semester, just moved fall semester to start a week earlier and end in person prior to thanksgiving. So students will move home before that break, take all finals online, and hopefully return in late January.
    I've seen other schools opting for that route. Montana State moved their start date 2 weeks up so to end before Thanksgiving. Cuts down on people traveling and then coming back to school. I've also seen mention of some schools pushing back the start of spring semester a week or two. Starting later in the spring cuts down on the amount of flu/cold season that would be spent on campus.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    The athletes aren’t in significant danger. That hasn’t been a serious concern for weeks, if ever. The reason that ncaa,mlb, nba,etc cancelled is because players make ups tiny fraction of the tens of thousands of people who meet up and share airspace for 3 hours at these events. They also cancelled greyhound races. This wasn’t out of concern for the greyhounds.
    You are missing the point. The athletes aren't in danger so if the powers that be want to resume games without fans it shouldn't be a big concern that the athletes health will be affected. I'm not referencing anything about crowds showing up to watch.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,997

    Default

    I put together a chart from CDC data and it was erased. This was in response to questions about Covid risks to athletes. The only opinion I included in the post was a very obvious conclusion from the data. It wasn’t political or religious. Is there an agenda that I interfered with?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I put together a chart from CDC data and it was erased. This was in response to questions about Covid risks to athletes. The only opinion I included in the post was a very obvious conclusion from the data. It wasn’t political or religious. Is there an agenda that I interfered with?
    I think you put it in the Covid Discussion thread.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I think you put it in the Covid Discussion thread.
    Someone else did, it seems.

    ETA: I understand the desire to keep threads from getting out of hand. It was information that is pertinent to this discussion (I thought). I suppose that if anyone is interested they can go look over there. I was surprised in conversations I had over the weekend that stuff that I thought was common knowledge at this point— as we all become amateur epidemiologists— may not be as common as I thought, which was the reason for sharing.
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 05-18-2020 at 07:41 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,849

    Default Here's some hope!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    The athletes aren’t in significant danger. That hasn’t been a serious concern for weeks, if ever. The reason that ncaa,mlb, nba,etc cancelled is because players make ups tiny fraction of the tens of thousands of people who meet up and share airspace for 3 hours at these events. They also cancelled greyhound races. This wasn’t out of concern for the greyhounds.
    I had to chuckle at the greyhounds comment.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I had to chuckle at the greyhounds comment.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There have also been some shutdowns of slaughterhouses. Not on behalf of the cows.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,583

    Default

    lockdown is NOT what the athletes want, especially the college athletes who are hoping to move on up to playing professional somewhere....its not what the coaches want nor we fans....

    if the govt can't see fit to have crowds at sporting events, then fine, but let the players play ....its bad enough that the final games of many athletes were just dropped, but to ruin the chances of another whole group of student athletes from finishing their careers is just cruel, and ridiculous....

    let the kids play....this virus is here, it will be here next year and the year after, and a vaccine is not always reliable....so what do you do....if it means the kids can play their game without fans, so be it....I'm willing to sit out but just...let...the...kids...play....

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,673

    Default

    I posted this in another thread, but I think it is of interest here, too.

    https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/1...on-ncaa-future


    There are as many concepts of what Football will look like this fall as there are conference commissioners and ADs. Conferences are probably way too consumed with Football to start addressing basketball yet.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Texas & California governors both say that sports without fans may reopen in their respective states in early June.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I put together a chart from CDC data and it was erased. This was in response to questions about Covid risks to athletes. The only opinion I included in the post was a very obvious conclusion from the data. It wasn’t political or religious. Is there an agenda that I interfered with?
    No it was in this thread. I thought it was a very good volume of information. I commentedon it and my postis gone too. Games being played??

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No it was in this thread. I thought it was a very good volume of information. I commentedon it and my postis gone too. Games being played??
    Moved to the thread in Forum Support.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,537

    Default

    Probablyh smart Kitz.we didn't want to blow up another thread. and we were veering off topic. Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •