Thread: Feeling So Grateful

Default Feeling So Grateful

Hello to Everyone. I have certainly missed you all very much. I haven't written a thread for some time, and i miss that too because I love to write about my feelings for Gonzaga Basketball and this forum. I was inspired to come and write because of a very very strong feeling of gratitude inside. This social distancing because of the Coroana Virus has been very challenging at times, and I miss teaching quite a bit. Of course i stay at home all the time accept for grocery shopping once a week; so that too is challenging, but I take a nice challenging walk every day and am planting new lawn in my back yard which gives me some good exercise every day. But mostly I have really adjusted well to this Stay-At- Home and have taken it in stride, reading more, and writing more too. AND of course I seem to pray a lot more too.

The reason why I'm writing today is because I am just experiencing such a strong feeling of Gratitude for being able to call myself a Zag. We have all been so spoiled by having such a great team to follow. Probably because i'm alone so much, I think often about how fortunate I am to have followed the Zags for so long, and have experienced so much joy because of the success of the team. As I look back at the past 21 years the feeling of gratitude and joy is just so amazing. And honestly it's more than joy at times. As you all can attest to at times it's ecstacy. The Elite 8s, and of course the Final 4 and the championship game has left me with such joy. I rewatched so many games on that were listed on that one post, and re-lived all the joys of watching those teams. I am sure we are one of the top 5 or 6 college Basketball teams in the United States, and we know the pride of being able to say that.

But what sets Gonzaga apart from all of those storied universities (the blue-bloods) is the story of little ol unknown Gonzaga, a small Jesuit university in the unknown Spokane Washington. The rise to stardom over the first ten years was incredible. The fantastic comparison to the story of the Little Engine That Could was so much fun. But really the last ten years has just been so awesome. AND it just seems to be getting better and better. Yes, we missed the thrill and hope of going back to the Final 4 this year, and maybe winning it all. Yes it was soooo disappointing. We will never forget this year. But one more time the Zag story this year was unbelievable because none of us (probably including the coaches) came close to believing how this group of guys would learn and grow together to be the #1 team in America. And we certainly got to see some awesome basketball one more year, and watch guys like Kispert, Petrusev and AYAYI mature into stars. We got to watch two college grad transfers mold into incredible leaders on this team. And finally we got to watch Timme ad Tille have great seasons. We got to see some of the best basketball That Killian ever played. AND WHAT AN AWESOME GUY.

AND to me that's the incredible story of the Zags. As good as the memories of the games are, and as great the thrills that came for all those mind blowing victories, the greatest feeling of them all has been getting to know the players. There is something so special about being a Zag, of belonging to this great university which we all share in. When we say we are family, we mean it because that is exactly the feeling you have if you were lucky enough to go to the univeristy. I truly have loved so many of the players. And that is what will stay with me forever. I've been lucky enough to meet some of them and talk to them, and every one of them is an incredible person. Texas Zagfan says it best as he tells us stories about his son meeting some of the Zags and how they love him so much. We all know that feeling and we know it's true. I will not list all of the players that I fell in love with because there are just way too many. But dang it. I want to tell you how lucky I feel to have met them, watched them play, and rooted my butt off for them every game. I have bled with them and all of you after every loss.

And finally I need to say a huge thank you to...ALL OF YOU WHO WRITE HERE and even who just read here, because this web site, GUBoards, Gonzaga Men's basketball forum, is the greatest little community of any college fan site in America. So many of us have been here for years, and some have become good friends. I was reminded of how much I miss Sili when he finally wrote to us, and how much we miss those who have passed on, like BZ the leader of it all. I do miss you all a lot. It kind of feels like a part of me is missing, or that has almost been cut out. So I just needed to write and tell you all that I miss you. And I need to write and say how Grateful I am to be a Zag. 21 years of one hell of alot of joy. How can I ever express the feeling of gratitude that I have for being a Zag. But I will end just by saying, thank you Mark Few, Tommy, and all of the coaches and players. And thank you to all of you who have given a part of your lives to make this the best basketball forum in the UsA and to have given me so much joy to be a part of this Board. Thanks!!! And God bless you and please be safe.

Go Zags!!! (I still keep my 3 exclamation points after all these years).
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Thanks Reborn. Nice hearing from you again and you are right about last years team. I thought that it would be a major building year and we would be lucking to get by with about 6 to 8 losses but was going to be fun watching them grow. I should have known that our coaches new what types of players we needed to become a solid team early and went out and got both of our grad transfer guards. But then Watson went down and I still thought we would be OK but still have 5 to 7 losses. But every game I watched I could not believe how all of them just kept getting better. Ayayi kept showing how he had learned so much and was now able to show it. Kispert was just good in all aspects of the game. Sometimes his shooting was off but his energy showed in so many other areas. Defense, rebounding and attacking the offensive boards. Tillie played through multiple injuries and was always there in the big games. Go Tilllie and hope you have a super NBA career. Petrusev was also super in the games that we needed him He held us together in the middle with Tillie down and we needed him not to get in foul trouble. And lastly but not least was Timme who showed us the true player as the year went on I was in Vegas and it was so much fun to watch him dominate the center area at both ends.

Thanks Zags for another great season. Take care of yourselves and be careful. That also goes for all of you fans. It is better to be safe than sorry during the coming year. God bless and yes it is fun to be a zag fan (since late 50s for me).

Wow! Zag67. You are an old timer like me. ha ha ha thanks for your post.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Great thread reborn. Hope everyone stays well.
    Love the zags for life

Reborn, I had to let them know that some of us were following GU when we were in middle school. Burges, Lefever, etc. we did not win a lot but we were scrappy and fun to watch even back then. I listened on radio when they played out of town. Hope things settle down soon. At least now I get to golf.

Stay safe. You don't have to live in constant solitary fear, but you don't have to be reckless to prove your courage either. Just be smart, like I know you are. I'm not writing this to just Reborn. I'm writing it to everyone.

The consensus is that we love the Zags and that is a unifier, not a divider, and at this time, that is exactly what we need. Unity.

And Science.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Stay safe. You don't have to live in constant solitary fear, but you don't have to be reckless to prove your courage either. Just be smart, like I know you are. I'm not writing this to just Reborn. I'm writing it to everyone.

The consensus is that we love the Zags and that is a unifier, not a divider, and at this time, that is exactly what we need. Unity.

And Science.
    Yeppers!

Staying safe at home has been fun for the Mrs and I. We do get out to see family occasionally - even if it's through a window. Also finally getting to chat a bit more with our next door neighbors - the over the fence type stuff that, with they being stuck at home as well, is becoming at least weekly when it was more like seasonally before. Just a simpler life. We have had to cancel a slew of travels - those where travel on airlines were/are involved. Oh well, we can reschedule those in the years to come.

We are missing things Zag! Last airline travel we made was to Vegas for the WCC Tourney. Washed our hands a lot on that trip! Seems so long ago now but it was just 10-11-ish weeks ago. I don't visit this board often anymore as we've just been pretty darn busy at home (yard, home and fun projects). With the immediate future of physical contact team sports being quite uncertain it's sorta hard to get excited about a 20-21 season (if there is much of one). I'm not all that optimistic that any normalcy of college basketball will exist in 20-21. Certainly not with the manner in which way too many people are not wearing masks when in public. People not taking the pandemic precautions they very easily can is going to make the pandemic worse and last longer. It's sad to see so many people being that foolish. So, being home with the love of my life is not only fun it's an escape from witnessing all the foolishness. So glad Costco requires masks!

C19 aside ..... We did thoroughly enjoy this past Zags season. The team just plain worked - and so many individual Zags shined when they were needed. It was like the team was the star as opposed to there being a star player. We likely saw our most Zags games in person in a season this season. That was special Makes it so much easier to remember the season and we're still enjoying it (I'm beginning to grin again now). Even if the 20-21 season is a bust it won't put a damper on our Zagdom. We'll be fans even when we're pushing up daisies

I'll drop by the board again in a month or so - maybe longer as with the long hours of sunlight in summer it gets harder for me to come inside. I'll be outside watching the garden grow and birds fly.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png