Thread: How Many Scholies Are We Going to Use for 2021-2022

Default How Many Scholies Are We Going to Use for 2021-2022

As we Lady Zag fans are all to aware, next year's team is going to be huge, 16 players on the roster (one sitting out for transfer protocol) with 15 of them on scholarship and one as a preferred walk-on.

We have no more scholarships to give for next year (2020-2021) as the maximum number of scholarships allotted to D-1 teams is 15 (Men get 13).

At the completion of next year, we will graduate six (6) seniors including JT, JW, LW, CW, LF & GB, freeing up 5 scholarships.

We currently have two (2) verbal commits for the 2021-2022 season in Esther Little and Payton Muma using up two of the available five scholarships.

CLF typically runs a team sized more like 11-13 team members instead of the 15 available for next year.

Is CLF going to use all 5 scholarships and continue with the big team? Is she going to keep a couple in her back pocket for possible transfers and get the team down to may 13 members is size?

What do you think Lady Zag fans, how many of the five available scholarships are the Lady Zags going to give out for the 2021-2022 season?

ZagDad

PS. Look for some 2021-2022 recruiting news to be released in the next few days.

she's keep a couple for transfers.....imo....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    she's keep a couple for transfers.....imo....
    I too, after today's announcement of Bree Salenbien accepting a scholarship, think that CLF is done with the 2021 scholarships. I think the Lady Zags are very well positioned set in the traditional positions of #1 thru #4.

IMO, we are still short of a "bigger" or "taller" presence to be a force in the middle. I am not sold that AV is going to make a full time transition to having the qualities of a starting post. MK plays way above her height, but she simply is too short and not "big" enough to be a "presence" in the key. Yes she can defend with the best of them, but causing the opposition to alter their shots, is not going to happen. While we are yet to see her play, I don't think that EH has the height or mass to offer that presence that will impact shots.

As far as our new recruits go, I can see YE, playing a role very similar to MK or EH with the same benefits and the same "short"-comings (Sorry). I can see EL getting time at any of the spots between #2 thru #4 and BS getting time at either the #3 or #4, but I don't see either playing a traditional #5 spot. That being said, maybe CLF is looking to revise her offense and a traditional post may not be required.

So.…….. while I think that CLF will keep the two (2) remaining scholies in her pocket for now, I think if a mobile, bigger 6'3" player or a player 6'-4" or taller became available as either a recruit or transfer, I think CLF would jump at the chance to get somewhat taller in the frontcourt.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 05-12-2020 at 02:34 PM.