Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Few to HOF? Seth Davis says yes.

"Sam Burton
    Career Record (major schools): 12 Years, 210-42, .833 W-L%

School: West Texas A&M (210-42)

Conference Champion: 0 Times (Reg. Seas.), 0 Times (Tourn.)"

How do you have a winning % of .833 over 12 years and not have won the conference championship?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Right on Malastein. Your last sentence is exactly how I feel. I go back and forth every day depending on the news. I live down in the LA area - they have extended our stay at home ordinance for another 3 months through at least the end of July. In addition the Cal State University system will not have students back in the fall semester. So, today I am down and worried about Gonzaga/WCC basketball next year.

But to stay on the topic. There is no better coach than Mark Few.
    With you snider. SDSU has sent out communications that they will be “primarily online” fall 2020. This is all CSU’s. I expect UC schools will follow. Still Gonzaga, USD are preparing for return to campus which will likely include some hybrid of remote and in person instruction. Murky crystal ball at this point.

I am just getting over the lost opportunity for the zags this past March. I hope covid doesn’t take away a second championship opportunity for the zags..

Of course I realize basketball is a small piece in the grander scheme and health and lives are more important. Return to sports would be a return to some sense of normalcy but would hate to return too early and have to restart this whole thing.

https://whatdriveswinning.com/case-study-mark-few/

I don’t know if this has been posted anywhere before but there are a bunch of cool little sound bites from an interview with Coach Few. In one clip they show Few a clip of Urban Meyer and ask what he thinks about it. Someday soon— sooner than later— people will be asking future hall of fame coaches their opinions on things Mark Few has said.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    https://whatdriveswinning.com/case-study-mark-few/

I don’t know if this has been posted anywhere before but there are a bunch of cool little sound bites from an interview with Coach Few. In one clip they show Few a clip of Urban Meyer and ask what he thinks about it. Someday soon— sooner than later— people will be asking future hall of fame coaches their opinions on things Mark Few has said.
    JP - What a great post. I loved it. The electricity at the Kennel in the first scene is something I'm not sure we will see for a while but we all have it in our hearts. The interview with Mark Few is excellent and shows why he is such a great man and coach. Thank you so much for sharing this. I will watch this again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    JP - What a great post. I loved it. The electricity at the Kennel in the first scene is something I'm not sure we will see for a while but we all have it in our hearts. The interview with Mark Few is excellent and shows why he is such a great man and coach. Thank you so much for sharing this. I will watch this again and again.
    I’m happy you enjoyed it. He is truly unique.

Wow, that was great!!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    "Sam Burton
    Career Record (major schools): 12 Years, 210-42, .833 W-L%

School: West Texas A&M (210-42)

Conference Champion: 0 Times (Reg. Seas.), 0 Times (Tourn.)"

How do you have a winning % of .833 over 12 years and not have won the conference championship?
    When your team plays as an independent and not in a league. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-burton-1.html.

He's in already. No one has ever done what he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    He's in already. No one has ever done what he has done.
    CDC is correct. Not sure why we need Seth Davis to tell us what we already know.

We are social creatures and validation from others is important-- more important for some than others. As a long-time fan, seeing fledgling GU get recognized nationally over the years for various successes was very significant to me. This has grown less and less so as they have sustained success and have earned the respect of the college basketball world. I still like to see basketball people recognize Mark Few and the Zags, though.

Coach Few has ample achievements for HOF recognition. Reality, though, is the bar keeps rising. N.C. would be the clincher. Doubt many, if any coaches with an N.C. win are not in, and NONE with Coach Few’s record, integrity and decency. A lengthy post some time ago made the argument that his program saved the university. Certainly, during his tenure GU’s
    applications, admission standards and reputation have all soared.

Coach Few will receive HOF admission. Hopefully, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Coach Few has ample achievements for HOF recognition. Reality, though, is the bar keeps rising. N.C. would be the clincher. Doubt many, if any coaches with an N.C. win are not in, and NONE with Coach Few’s record, integrity and decency. A lengthy post some time ago made the argument that his program saved the university. Certainly, during his tenure GU’s
    applications, admission standards and reputation have all soared.

Coach Few will receive HOF admission. Hopefully, soon.
    I wouldn't say it "saved" the university. It was doing just fine before this. But it did TRANSFORM the school... and it did so without squashing the culture that had evolved over the preceding decades... in fact it solidified the culture iMHO. The GU of today very much feels like my GU of the late 80s.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    The GU of today very much feels like my GU of the late 80s.
    And "my" GU of the mid 70's.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I wouldn't say it "saved" the university. It was doing just fine before this. But it did TRANSFORM the school... and it did so without squashing the culture that had evolved over the preceding decades... in fact it solidified the culture iMHO. The GU of today very much feels like my GU of the late 80s.
    This.

I was back last summer, walking campus, talked to one of my old professors, chatted with some secretaries.

It is the exact same place, just with a ton more buildings and technology (aka money), but "Gonzaga" is still "Gonzaga" which is why it's ridiculous for any school to have ever dreamed of being the "next Gonzaga" - there was only one, all along.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Just my $.02, but this season could be Few's most challenging. If all 3 opt out of the NBA draft, Mark's going to have some real challenges distributing playing time, there's only 200 minutes to divide among 10-12 players.