Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51

Thread: What Have You ReDiscovered You Like During Sheltering??

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    It sounds like you are now the proud owner of a beagle with a lime green collar.

    Did you call the local animal shelter? That’s often a place that people look for a missing pet.
    There used to be one in town, and unfortunately they closed down. So the "local one" is 20 miles away, and it's highly unlikely anyone would call there - though I will, we are more likely to make contacts on Facebook and Instagram, even here. I really thought it had to be the campground. There is a big reservoir lake just a couple miles down the road, and alongside (about 5 miles away) is a big campground where people go for 3-4 camping excursions to fish and water ski. When my dog went missing he went there.

    But nope.

    I have a few more places to try, but yeah … it's getting more and more likely. The problem is that we can't do this every two years. People still "dump" dogs in rural America. It sounds abhorrent, but that's much more likely and in that sense, Pocky hit the lottery. He has a 12 yr old girl in love with him, a farm to run on, a big brother he idolizes and can keep him out of trouble. Right now, the saddest one to see him get a home would be the big dog.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    We signed up for misfits market, so I guess we're going to be trying some vegetables and maybe fruits that we've never tried before...not sure if we'll like them or not....but we'll be trying them!
    Tell me what you think, I'll be interested.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,055

    Default

    I have rediscovered what a great snack peanut butter on toast w a glass of milk is.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I have a friend on Facebook, she's in Kentucky, and she just started getting them and loves it.
    Her kids look forward to the delivery, to find out what foods they get to eat next.
    That's good to hear, we get our first one next Friday. I'm excited to have things delivered right to the door, we should be getting some strawberries of our own very soon too (gotta put up some type of fence so no critters get to them before us).

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Tell me what you think, I'll be interested.
    Will do! They sent an email out yesterday where we could pick certain things for the box and they will try to meet requests, so I picked some things I knew the kids would eat, and I guess the rest will be a surprise.

    I also signed up for a 3 month renewing subscription for hot sauce with Heat Hot Sauce shop, that'll be an anniversary gift for hubby since he's been enjoying the variety pack I bought him for Christmas. Not sure what they'll send but it'll be fun to sample new brands and flavors. And I've been making a lot of Mexican dishes and Mac n cheese so there is plenty to add hot sauce to.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    There used to be one in town, and unfortunately they closed down. So the "local one" is 20 miles away, and it's highly unlikely anyone would call there - though I will, we are more likely to make contacts on Facebook and Instagram, even here. I really thought it had to be the campground. There is a big reservoir lake just a couple miles down the road, and alongside (about 5 miles away) is a big campground where people go for 3-4 camping excursions to fish and water ski. When my dog went missing he went there.

    But nope.

    I have a few more places to try, but yeah … it's getting more and more likely. The problem is that we can't do this every two years. People still "dump" dogs in rural America. It sounds abhorrent, but that's much more likely and in that sense, Pocky hit the lottery. He has a 12 yr old girl in love with him, a farm to run on, a big brother he idolizes and can keep him out of trouble. Right now, the saddest one to see him get a home would be the big dog.
    If someone was camping with that dog, he may have wandered off and gotten lost in the unfamiliar surroundings. If it’s not someone local, they may still have left contact information with the local animal shelters. It’s worth a try. There may still be someone who is awfully worried about him out there.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    If someone was camping with that dog, he may have wandered off and gotten lost in the unfamiliar surroundings. If it’s not someone local, they may still have left contact information with the local animal shelters. It’s worth a try. There may still be someone who is awfully worried about him out there.
    Yeah, we called the ranger station at the campground. No one reported it missing, at least not yet. Less and less hope. Still possible someone drives by or Facebook. But, I think you probably got it right. The dog is happy now. He's over the sadness it would seem, and the fear. He knows the routine, knows his brother, and though I think it still bugs him to be outside all the time, he's adjusting. They play a lot and would probably not feel right without the other at this point.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    We signed up for misfits market, so I guess we're going to be trying some vegetables and maybe fruits that we've never tried before...not sure if we'll like them or not....but we'll be trying them!
    https://www.facebook.com/jessica.dam...1730331154904/
    It's not funny.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    That's an awesome selection! We signed up for the 1-2 person box every other week to begin with until we get an idea of just how much we go through. I'm hoping that helps stretch our grocery runs a bit more and brings some variety to our meals. I can see us buying the 3-5 person box in the winter when we won't be getting our own fresh fruits or veggies from the garden. I really wish my blueberry bushes would beef up a bit, they're virtually the same size as when we bought them 3 summers ago :-/ our blackberry plant is getting blossoms, hopefully we get them before the birds do (incidentally, we did not think things through when we planted the berry bushes so close to where we park the cars)

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    That's an awesome selection! We signed up for the 1-2 person box every other week to begin with until we get an idea of just how much we go through. I'm hoping that helps stretch our grocery runs a bit more and brings some variety to our meals. I can see us buying the 3-5 person box in the winter when we won't be getting our own fresh fruits or veggies from the garden. I really wish my blueberry bushes would beef up a bit, they're virtually the same size as when we bought them 3 summers ago :-/ our blackberry plant is getting blossoms, hopefully we get them before the birds do (incidentally, we did not think things through when we planted the berry bushes so close to where we park the cars)
    I'm lucky, there are 6 huge blueberry bushes 20 ft from the back door. I picked two cups this weekend, in two weeks it'll be peak season. We literally pick giant Zip-lock bags and give them to all our friends. It is very relaxing to go pick them one hour after sunrise or just at sunset. Too hot the rest of the day.

    Pick them when they're dry, never after rain. They lose taste if they have water on them. Don't wash until you're ready to eat them.

    This concludes my knowledge of blueberries, oh except we live in blueberry ag industry. Town has blueberry festive 3rd week of June, and there are two major blueberry farms - very wealthy farms - within a mile. I guess they work well here.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I'm lucky, there are 6 huge blueberry bushes 20 ft from the back door. I picked two cups this weekend, in two weeks it'll be peak season. We literally pick giant Zip-lock bags and give them to all our friends. It is very relaxing to go pick them one hour after sunrise or just at sunset. Too hot the rest of the day.

    Pick them when they're dry, never after rain. They lose taste if they have water on them. Don't wash until you're ready to eat them.

    This concludes my knowledge of blueberries, oh except we live in blueberry ag industry. Town has blueberry festive 3rd week of June, and there are two major blueberry farms - very wealthy farms - within a mile. I guess they work well here.
    My blueberries won't be ripe for another few weeks. I'm pretty excited for them. We have raspberries and unfortunately blackberries too.
    Bring back the OCC

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    My blueberries won't be ripe for another few weeks. I'm pretty excited for them. We have raspberries and unfortunately blackberries too.
    Blackberries yum. Blackberry bushes ahhhhh!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,767

    Default

    Elton John

    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I'm lucky, there are 6 huge blueberry bushes 20 ft from the back door. I picked two cups this weekend, in two weeks it'll be peak season. We literally pick giant Zip-lock bags and give them to all our friends. It is very relaxing to go pick them one hour after sunrise or just at sunset. Too hot the rest of the day.

    Pick them when they're dry, never after rain. They lose taste if they have water on them. Don't wash until you're ready to eat them.

    This concludes my knowledge of blueberries, oh except we live in blueberry ag industry. Town has blueberry festive 3rd week of June, and there are two major blueberry farms - very wealthy farms - within a mile. I guess they work well here.
    We bought a thornless blackberry bush. I remember the ones with thorns (and raspberry bushes) at my parents' house. It was at the bottom of their big hill I used for sled riding. I ended up in the bushes quite a few times. I'm not sure if they were wild or if they'd been planted. I grew up on a road that was owned by a family who had a greenhouse business. We had 2 old hot beds (10'x60') in the back of our house and used them for a garden every summer.

    I'm planning to make a little greenhouse out of PVC pipe and plastic netting. Mostly to keep the neighbor's cat from eating our strawberries and killing any plants I put in

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    We bought a thornless blackberry bush. I remember the ones with thorns (and raspberry bushes) at my parents' house. It was at the bottom of their big hill I used for sled riding. I ended up in the bushes quite a few times. I'm not sure if they were wild or if they'd been planted. I grew up on a road that was owned by a family who had a greenhouse business. We had 2 old hot beds (10'x60') in the back of our house and used them for a garden every summer.

    I'm planning to make a little greenhouse out of PVC pipe and plastic netting. Mostly to keep the neighbor's cat from eating our strawberries and killing any plants I put in
    My dog - yes, my DOG - eats blueberries. When I go out to pick blueberries, he starts chomping down on the bottom ones. Fortunately, the bushes go about 12 feet high, so there are more blueberries than we can use. I also will pick 4-5 and hand feed them to him to keep him from gnawing off bottom branches.

    This is the same dog that will take a running start to jump and knock down a pear or two and haul that pear off like a bone and sit there and chew it for an hour. We had two pear trees (this year it seems one has died, not sure why), and he ate every single one that was down low.

    He ate my tomatoes, so I didn't grow any tomatoes this year. The only non-flower I have is one serrano pepper plant, he won't eat those.


    By the way, if Cristobal is the only tropical storm we get this year, I'll be plenty happy. But it still was awful. We didn't get huge wind, maybe 35-40 mph gusts at the worst, but it destroyed my trophy sunflowers. I had 6 sunflowers that were close to 9 feet tall. The wind wouldn't have blown them over, but we got so much rain that the soil basically turned to mush and then bent way over. So, I have propped them up with bricks now that it's dry, and I'm just hoping that the last 3-4 bloom even though they're pretty much dead.

    I already have my 2nd crop of sunflowers in. Our growing season is so long that I can easily do 2, maybe 3 different plantings. I love sunflowers, and ordered seeds of some exotic ones including red and orange sunflowers. It should be pretty when they grow in.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Yeah, we called the ranger station at the campground. No one reported it missing, at least not yet. Less and less hope. Still possible someone drives by or Facebook. But, I think you probably got it right. The dog is happy now. He's over the sadness it would seem, and the fear. He knows the routine, knows his brother, and though I think it still bugs him to be outside all the time, he's adjusting. They play a lot and would probably not feel right without the other at this point.
    How is Pocky doing?
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    How is Pocky doing?
    Sad subject.

    We woke up one morning, he was gone. No trace of him. We had put our name and phone/address on his collar.

    He hadn't been neutered, which probably explains why he showed up. I suspect at night while the big dog slept, he just wandered after the scent. We have 160 acres, 1/2 mile to the nearest house, but everyone has dogs and few of the fix them.

    That little pup hadn't even fully dropped. He followed the big dog everywhere, 5-10 feet behind him at all times. He would never, ever, have left the big dog for any other reason. He adored Sky, and Sky took care of him like a little brother.

    It was really sad bc we had just put our hearts out to him realizing he was ours. And just the night before (so weird) my daughter was playing with him on the grass and I said to her, "I suppose we should get him neutered" and she agreed and was going to call the next day - literally the next day he was gone.

    There is way too much open area, way too hot, and way too many things that will bite a dog roaming around in places a dog ought not to be for the guy to have much of a chance. I still look for him, it's been two weeks.

    We were really sad. The big dog looked for him for 4-5 days, patrolling the whole "inner property" barking. So, I spent way more time with him, playing ball, all that so he would be less sad.

    I really hope he didn't/doesn't suffer.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Sad subject.

    We woke up one morning, he was gone. No trace of him. We had put our name and phone/address on his collar.

    He hadn't been neutered, which probably explains why he showed up. I suspect at night while the big dog slept, he just wandered after the scent. We have 160 acres, 1/2 mile to the nearest house, but everyone has dogs and few of the fix them.

    That little pup hadn't even fully dropped. He followed the big dog everywhere, 5-10 feet behind him at all times. He would never, ever, have left the big dog for any other reason. He adored Sky, and Sky took care of him like a little brother.

    It was really sad bc we had just put our hearts out to him realizing he was ours. And just the night before (so weird) my daughter was playing with him on the grass and I said to her, "I suppose we should get him neutered" and she agreed and was going to call the next day - literally the next day he was gone.

    There is way too much open area, way too hot, and way too many things that will bite a dog roaming around in places a dog ought not to be for the guy to have much of a chance. I still look for him, it's been two weeks.

    We were really sad. The big dog looked for him for 4-5 days, patrolling the whole "inner property" barking. So, I spent way more time with him, playing ball, all that so he would be less sad.

    I really hope he didn't/doesn't suffer.
    That’s tough. I’m sorry for your whole family.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Sad subject.

    We woke up one morning, he was gone. No trace of him. We had put our name and phone/address on his collar.

    He hadn't been neutered, which probably explains why he showed up. I suspect at night while the big dog slept, he just wandered after the scent. We have 160 acres, 1/2 mile to the nearest house, but everyone has dogs and few of the fix them.

    That little pup hadn't even fully dropped. He followed the big dog everywhere, 5-10 feet behind him at all times. He would never, ever, have left the big dog for any other reason. He adored Sky, and Sky took care of him like a little brother.

    It was really sad bc we had just put our hearts out to him realizing he was ours. And just the night before (so weird) my daughter was playing with him on the grass and I said to her, "I suppose we should get him neutered" and she agreed and was going to call the next day - literally the next day he was gone.

    There is way too much open area, way too hot, and way too many things that will bite a dog roaming around in places a dog ought not to be for the guy to have much of a chance. I still look for him, it's been two weeks.

    We were really sad. The big dog looked for him for 4-5 days, patrolling the whole "inner property" barking. So, I spent way more time with him, playing ball, all that so he would be less sad.

    I really hope he didn't/doesn't suffer.
    Damn, I'm sorry man.
    Bring back the OCC

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,475

    Default

    My blueberries are getting close

    Bring back the OCC

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Does this count? We baked bread a couple of times before and it was pretty "meh" just very dense and a complete PITA to make because it always stuck to our hands haha. Yesterday/today we worked up the courage to try bread with the sourdough starter we made a few months ago. It was amazing. It wasn't messy to work with, it wasn't a lot of work, just a lot of planning and waiting. It was so soft inside and there were air bubbles so it wasn't dense, the crust was chewy but not hard. We made fondue for dinner so we could justify eating the whole thing tonight.


  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    We got our first home grown green beans today. Nothing else is anywhere close to being ready to eat. Our blackberry bush does have 20+ berries on it, but they're not even close to ripe yet. My friend gave us a few tomato plants so I'm hoping they start growing bigger now that I transplanted them. I'm growing everything in containers on our front porch.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    We're really enjoying the misfit market deliveries. We switched from Friday to Wednesday (FedEx didn't bring it until Saturday one time and I wasn't crazy about the stuff being in a hot truck for 2 days so we decided to switch to a mid week delivery). I honestly think we're getting nicer /bigger shipments now too. I imagine they box up what we ordered and they're likely grabbing the bigger things first for the earlier shipments. I've also had some success regrowing lettuce and bok choy we got from them, so we're getting a little more bang for our buck. There's imperfect foods too, some friends get that and enjoy it but they don't get a say in what is delivered. We went with misfit because a friend gave us a code for 10% off the first order. If anyone decides to sign up and wants the code, let me know.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,535

    Default

    Two albums from my Campion House days.



    And

    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,473

    Default

    My flower garden has a big fungal infection, it's killing near everything. I don't want to buy a fungicide, but ...
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •