What Have You ReDiscovered You Like During Sheltering??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
    There used to be one in town, and unfortunately they closed down. So the "local one" is 20 miles away, and it's highly unlikely anyone would call there - though I will, we are more likely to make contacts on Facebook and Instagram, even here. I really thought it had to be the campground. There is a big reservoir lake just a couple miles down the road, and alongside (about 5 miles away) is a big campground where people go for 3-4 camping excursions to fish and water ski. When my dog went missing he went there.

But nope.

I have a few more places to try, but yeah … it's getting more and more likely. The problem is that we can't do this every two years. People still "dump" dogs in rural America. It sounds abhorrent, but that's much more likely and in that sense, Pocky hit the lottery. He has a 12 yr old girl in love with him, a farm to run on, a big brother he idolizes and can keep him out of trouble. Right now, the saddest one to see him get a home would be the big dog.
    If someone was camping with that dog, he may have wandered off and gotten lost in the unfamiliar surroundings. If it’s not someone local, they may still have left contact information with the local animal shelters. It’s worth a try. There may still be someone who is awfully worried about him out there.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
      If someone was camping with that dog, he may have wandered off and gotten lost in the unfamiliar surroundings. If it’s not someone local, they may still have left contact information with the local animal shelters. It’s worth a try. There may still be someone who is awfully worried about him out there.
      Yeah, we called the ranger station at the campground. No one reported it missing, at least not yet. Less and less hope. Still possible someone drives by or Facebook. But, I think you probably got it right. The dog is happy now. He's over the sadness it would seem, and the fear. He knows the routine, knows his brother, and though I think it still bugs him to be outside all the time, he's adjusting. They play a lot and would probably not feel right without the other at this point.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
        We signed up for misfits market, so I guess we're going to be trying some vegetables and maybe fruits that we've never tried before...not sure if we'll like them or not....but we'll be trying them!
        192 views, 12 likes, 11 loves, 30 comments, 0 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Jessica Daman: For Wayne’s veggie box opening fans here is the latest installment of the misfit veggie mystery box. I...
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Jazzgirl_127
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

That's an awesome selection! We signed up for the 1-2 person box every other week to begin with until we get an idea of just how much we go through. I'm hoping that helps stretch our grocery runs a bit more and brings some variety to our meals. I can see us buying the 3-5 person box in the winter when we won't be getting our own fresh fruits or veggies from the garden. I really wish my blueberry bushes would beef up a bit, they're virtually the same size as when we bought them 3 summers ago :-/ our blackberry plant is getting blossoms, hopefully we get them before the birds do (incidentally, we did not think things through when we planted the berry bushes so close to where we park the cars)

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

That's an awesome selection! We signed up for the 1-2 person box every other week to begin with until we get an idea of just how much we go through. I'm hoping that helps stretch our grocery runs a bit more and brings some variety to our meals. I can see us buying the 3-5 person box in the winter when we won't be getting our own fresh fruits or veggies from the garden. I really wish my blueberry bushes would beef up a bit, they're virtually the same size as when we bought them 3 summers ago :-/ our blackberry plant is getting blossoms, hopefully we get them before the birds do (incidentally, we did not think things through when we planted the berry bushes so close to where we park the cars)
            I'm lucky, there are 6 huge blueberry bushes 20 ft from the back door. I picked two cups this weekend, in two weeks it'll be peak season. We literally pick giant Zip-lock bags and give them to all our friends. It is very relaxing to go pick them one hour after sunrise or just at sunset. Too hot the rest of the day.

Pick them when they're dry, never after rain. They lose taste if they have water on them. Don't wash until you're ready to eat them.

This concludes my knowledge of blueberries, oh except we live in blueberry ag industry. Town has blueberry festive 3rd week of June, and there are two major blueberry farms - very wealthy farms - within a mile. I guess they work well here.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• gu03alum
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I'm lucky, there are 6 huge blueberry bushes 20 ft from the back door. I picked two cups this weekend, in two weeks it'll be peak season. We literally pick giant Zip-lock bags and give them to all our friends. It is very relaxing to go pick them one hour after sunrise or just at sunset. Too hot the rest of the day.

Pick them when they're dry, never after rain. They lose taste if they have water on them. Don't wash until you're ready to eat them.

This concludes my knowledge of blueberries, oh except we live in blueberry ag industry. Town has blueberry festive 3rd week of June, and there are two major blueberry farms - very wealthy farms - within a mile. I guess they work well here.
              My blueberries won't be ripe for another few weeks. I'm pretty excited for them. We have raspberries and unfortunately blackberries too.
              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                My blueberries won't be ripe for another few weeks. I'm pretty excited for them. We have raspberries and unfortunately blackberries too.
                Blackberries yum. Blackberry bushes ahhhhh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• kitzbuel
                  • Feb 2007

Elton John

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                  - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Jazzgirl_127
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

We bought a thornless blackberry bush. I remember the ones with thorns (and raspberry bushes) at my parents' house. It was at the bottom of their big hill I used for sled riding. I ended up in the bushes quite a few times. I'm not sure if they were wild or if they'd been planted. I grew up on a road that was owned by a family who had a greenhouse business. We had 2 old hot beds (10'x60') in the back of our house and used them for a garden every summer.

I'm planning to make a little greenhouse out of PVC pipe and plastic netting. Mostly to keep the neighbor's cat from eating our strawberries and killing any plants I put in

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

We bought a thornless blackberry bush. I remember the ones with thorns (and raspberry bushes) at my parents' house. It was at the bottom of their big hill I used for sled riding. I ended up in the bushes quite a few times. I'm not sure if they were wild or if they'd been planted. I grew up on a road that was owned by a family who had a greenhouse business. We had 2 old hot beds (10'x60') in the back of our house and used them for a garden every summer.

I'm planning to make a little greenhouse out of PVC pipe and plastic netting. Mostly to keep the neighbor's cat from eating our strawberries and killing any plants I put in
                      My dog - yes, my DOG - eats blueberries. When I go out to pick blueberries, he starts chomping down on the bottom ones. Fortunately, the bushes go about 12 feet high, so there are more blueberries than we can use. I also will pick 4-5 and hand feed them to him to keep him from gnawing off bottom branches.

This is the same dog that will take a running start to jump and knock down a pear or two and haul that pear off like a bone and sit there and chew it for an hour. We had two pear trees (this year it seems one has died, not sure why), and he ate every single one that was down low.

He ate my tomatoes, so I didn't grow any tomatoes this year. The only non-flower I have is one serrano pepper plant, he won't eat those.

By the way, if Cristobal is the only tropical storm we get this year, I'll be plenty happy. But it still was awful. We didn't get huge wind, maybe 35-40 mph gusts at the worst, but it destroyed my trophy sunflowers. I had 6 sunflowers that were close to 9 feet tall. The wind wouldn't have blown them over, but we got so much rain that the soil basically turned to mush and then bent way over. So, I have propped them up with bricks now that it's dry, and I'm just hoping that the last 3-4 bloom even though they're pretty much dead.

I already have my 2nd crop of sunflowers in. Our growing season is so long that I can easily do 2, maybe 3 different plantings. I love sunflowers, and ordered seeds of some exotic ones including red and orange sunflowers. It should be pretty when they grow in.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2009

Yeah, we called the ranger station at the campground. No one reported it missing, at least not yet. Less and less hope. Still possible someone drives by or Facebook. But, I think you probably got it right. The dog is happy now. He's over the sadness it would seem, and the fear. He knows the routine, knows his brother, and though I think it still bugs him to be outside all the time, he's adjusting. They play a lot and would probably not feel right without the other at this point.
                        How is Pocky doing?
                        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                          How is Pocky doing?
                          Sad subject.

We woke up one morning, he was gone. No trace of him. We had put our name and phone/address on his collar.

He hadn't been neutered, which probably explains why he showed up. I suspect at night while the big dog slept, he just wandered after the scent. We have 160 acres, 1/2 mile to the nearest house, but everyone has dogs and few of the fix them.

That little pup hadn't even fully dropped. He followed the big dog everywhere, 5-10 feet behind him at all times. He would never, ever, have left the big dog for any other reason. He adored Sky, and Sky took care of him like a little brother.

It was really sad bc we had just put our hearts out to him realizing he was ours. And just the night before (so weird) my daughter was playing with him on the grass and I said to her, "I suppose we should get him neutered" and she agreed and was going to call the next day - literally the next day he was gone.

There is way too much open area, way too hot, and way too many things that will bite a dog roaming around in places a dog ought not to be for the guy to have much of a chance. I still look for him, it's been two weeks.

We were really sad. The big dog looked for him for 4-5 days, patrolling the whole "inner property" barking. So, I spent way more time with him, playing ball, all that so he would be less sad.

I really hope he didn't/doesn't suffer.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2009

Sad subject.

We woke up one morning, he was gone. No trace of him. We had put our name and phone/address on his collar.

He hadn't been neutered, which probably explains why he showed up. I suspect at night while the big dog slept, he just wandered after the scent. We have 160 acres, 1/2 mile to the nearest house, but everyone has dogs and few of the fix them.

That little pup hadn't even fully dropped. He followed the big dog everywhere, 5-10 feet behind him at all times. He would never, ever, have left the big dog for any other reason. He adored Sky, and Sky took care of him like a little brother.

It was really sad bc we had just put our hearts out to him realizing he was ours. And just the night before (so weird) my daughter was playing with him on the grass and I said to her, "I suppose we should get him neutered" and she agreed and was going to call the next day - literally the next day he was gone.

There is way too much open area, way too hot, and way too many things that will bite a dog roaming around in places a dog ought not to be for the guy to have much of a chance. I still look for him, it's been two weeks.

We were really sad. The big dog looked for him for 4-5 days, patrolling the whole "inner property" barking. So, I spent way more time with him, playing ball, all that so he would be less sad.

That’s tough. I’m sorry for your whole family.

-Ken Pomeroy-

Comment

• gu03alum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Sad subject.

Damn, I'm sorry man.
                              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

My blueberries are getting close

Bring back the OCC

Comment

Working...
                                X