Thread: Final 2020 recruiting rankings

Default Final 2020 recruiting rankings

The final rankings for the 2020 recruiting class are in and here is how Gonzaga did:

Jalen Suggs - Moved up one spot to 11th and is now the highest recruit ever by Gonzaga. Prior to Suggs, Zach Collins ended up the 20th ranked recruit in the 2016 class.
    Julian Strawther - Moved up one spot to finish 67th
    Dominick Harris - Moved down 7 spots to finish 74th

Gonzaga had the 11th best recruiting class for 2020/2021.

Now hopefully they will all be able to play - maybe even with fans in the arena or am I pushing my luck with that one.

Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Source?
    I consistently use 247 Sports as my source for everything recruiting related.

It's crazy how Harris has kept dropping. One of the best kept secrets around.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Our 2016 class of Rui, Zach, Zach, Killian & Jacob was 20th, ha ha. Yeah, right!

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    It's crazy how Harris has kept dropping. One of the best kept secrets around.
    Depends where you look but anything outside of the top 50 is ridiculous! Dom is going to be an absolute stud!

Harris dropping just doesn’t make sense to me

It is interesting that ESPN seems to be higher on our guys versus 247 Sports. For ESPN Jalen Suggs is #5 versus #11. Dom Harris is #56 in ESPN versus #74 for 247 Sports. And Julian Strawther is #59 versus #67 for 247 Sports. I haven't looked closely enough but I do know that 247 Sports does include players who have reclassified into the 2020 class which explains why Dom dropped a bit. He did nothing on his own to warrant a drop in the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    It is interesting that ESPN seems to be higher on our guys versus 247 Sports. For ESPN Jalen Suggs is #5 versus #11. Dom Harris is #56 in ESPN versus #74 for 247 Sports. And Julian Strawther is #59 versus #67 for 247 Sports. I haven't looked closely enough but I do know that 247 Sports does include players who have reclassified into the 2020 class which explains why Dom dropped a bit. He did nothing on his own to warrant a drop in the rankings.
    I think 247 also includes foreign players once they have chosen the college path. I saw a handful of them on 247's rankings, but ESPN doesn't include them.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think 247 also includes foreign players once they have chosen the college path. I saw a handful of them on 247's rankings, but ESPN doesn't include them.
    Yes that is correct as well. Thank you for pointing that out as i neglected to include that.

Paul B. at ESPN saw Suggs and Harris a number of times in person. He was blown away by Suggs. I will never forget when Suggs committed to GU in January, Paul B. said on air that Harris was playing as good as any guard in the nation. I know some people have said he was an inconsistent scorer this past year, but I think that tends to happen on these superstar teams like Rancho. His performance vs. Sierra Canyon spoke volumes. I honestly feel that Harris was hurt by playing two years at Pacifica Christian. Folks, Dom and I grew up in the same area, and there may not be an area in the land with less prep basketball talent than the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area. Harris is by far and away the greatest player to ever emerge from that area. Still, North Carolina and UCLA were starting to recruit him at Pacifica, but they were just getting in on the action while Gonzaga was heavily involved. And then he moves to Rancho which is one of the top teams in the nation and is RULED - according the recruiting gurus - by the Mobley brothers. I think the combination of being an unknown recruit for his first two years, combined with playing with the Mobley brothers, caused Dom to be overshadowed. However, I think his move to Rancho, regardless of what his final recruiting rankings end up being, is going to benefit Gonzaga because he competed against the best of the best. Just as several southern California prep writers have said, he's going to be a NBA combo guard one day. There is too much offensive and defensive skill and what Frank Burlison once called "freakish" athleticism for him to not be a NBA guard. The recruiting experts are off on this one, but I do not feel we should expect for him to come in and have a Suggs-like impact. It might take 2 or 3 years for Dom to round into a fully ready pro.

Dom has such good size and body control for a PG. He is definitely overlooked as a prospect. I would guess that he is a two year guy where he gets 10-15 minutes a game this coming year and then explodes the following season when Few hands him the keys to the offense. In year two, he will be one of those guys who plays 35 minutes in competitive games and you don't want to come off the court. Can you imagine him running the floor potentially with a guy like Paolo in a year????

He has experience playing with a good big man in Mobley....

No way there's 10 better players in high school than Jalen Suggs!

Not necessarily GU related, but Evan Daniels is moving on from 247 head of recruiting to be an agent with CAA. Hopefully whoever fills his position at 247 puts some respect on the Zags name in the national recruiting world.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    CAA is hiring @EvanDaniels to become an agent in its college basketball coaching division, sources tell ESPN. Daniels will work with agents Jimmy Sexton and Spencer Breecker.