Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corey Kispert/Filip Petrusev/Joel Ayayi - 2020 NBA Prospects

Default Corey Kispert/Filip Petrusev/Joel Ayayi - 2020 NBA Prospects

Hello Everyone - Matt Norlander from CBS Sports has an article today about the NBA Draft and 13 most interesting stay or go decisions that will impact college basketball. Corey Kispert was 3rd on the listas far as toss up decisions are concerned. Petrusev is listed under NBA prospects who should return to school. Ayayi's name is nowhere to be found. I thought for those who have not seen this - you might be interested. Sounds as if Petrusev and Ayayi are coming back. The question is at 40-60 does Kispert come back or does he stay in?

MOST CRITICAL TOSS UP DECISIONS

3. Corey Kispert, Gonzaga: Kispert, like every other prospect on this list, would be for sure gone with a top-35/just-outside-the-first-round guarantee. But that's not the case. And whereas his teammate, Filip Petrusev, is projected to be the better college player next season, Petrusev is not the pro prospect right now that Kispert is. Based on conversations I've had with multiple scouts, Kispert likely to be drafted if he stays in. But it's a wide spectrum of opinion. He could go as high as 40, low as 57-60. He's got NBA skills on the offensive end. Kispert can make shots at the mid-range and long-range level. He averaged 13.9 points on 43.8% 3-point shooting. He's a smart player who is in an advantageous position: He has a good chance to boost his stock even more and go in the first round in 2021-- while playing on a Final Four contender -- but will the uncertainty of everything coronavirus-related push him to leave school?

FIVE KEY PROSPECTS WHO SHOULD RETURN

2. Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga: Petrusev would be right behind Iowa's Luka Garza for preseason player of the year pick if he returned. I think he will, and I think Kispert and Joel Ayayi, who is also testing the waters, will head on back to Gonzaga, too. Gonzaga has never been the preseason No. 1 team in college basketball. If those three are in uniform, it will make program history in doing so. Petrusev would be a junior next season. He averaged 17.5 points, 7.9 rebounds and only 1.7 fouls. The latest super-productive big to come out of GU, and he'll be doing it alongside the next one in line, sophomore Drew Timme.

Sam Vecenie had a new big board today on The Athletic. Apparently he had some general thoughts on the Gonzaga early entries as well. Anyone want to share if his thoughts are similar or dissimilar to Matt Norlander’s words?

Here's the link for those that want to check out the rest of the article.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ge-basketball/

The Athletic

31 --Killian Tillie, Gonzaga
    59 --Corey Kispert, Gonzaga
    89 --Joel Ayayi, Gonzaga
    94 --Filip Petrusev, Gonzaga

Didnt Kispert just finish his degree? can remember. Anyway, if Cory is being told he'd get taken at all, then yeah, screw it, go for it. I hadn't really ever regarded him as an NBA player so if he can go get some D league money for a few years then go overseas for a few more, that's a nice little foundation to begin your life on. Jus surprised he is being seen as that high a prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Didnt Kispert just finish his degree? can remember. Anyway, if Cory is being told he'd get taken at all, then yeah, screw it, go for it. I hadn't really ever regarded him as an NBA player so if he can go get some D league money for a few years then go overseas for a few more, that's a nice little foundation to begin your life on. Jus surprised he is being seen as that high a prospect.
    I can completely understand that thinking. Makes total sense. But wouldn't those same opportunities and options be out there for him after his senior year and a National Championship? Presumably his game isn't going to fall apart during the upcoming season and he will be able to work on the facets of his game that the NBA scouts want him to. This is first year of feedback from them. So why wouldn't he want to be a part of the #1 ranked team going into the season (never happened before for Gonzaga) and a very deep run with the talent they have?

It makes sense unless your physical skills are limited. Corey is a great kids d a good college player but his slow feet make his defense quite average or less. I do t know. It I e. Ever see. Orth south or East west foot speed improved with even lots of trait. Perhaps understand DJ g of defense see but you still have to perform. I love Corey and hope he can get better o. Defense. With his size and understanding of the game, he’s got a good chance with his offense. Another year with us would probably help a lot on both sides of the ball.

I can confirm that Corey has completed his undergraduate degree, and it came from an unimpeachable source.

What did trump tell you about Corey?

Just kidding.....

So technically Corey could also be a grad transfer if he wanted to?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    What did trump tell you about Corey?
    Dude, you are so far off it ain't funny. lol

And what makes you think I would ever talk to Trump? I didn't vote for him in 2016. I can't stand the bullying SOB.

The whole "unimpeachable" thing triggered that response-- better get back to topic so we don't get in trouble for going all political and stuff.

I am happy that Corey has already received his degree -- he seems like a very intelligent and hard working young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    The whole "unimpeachable" thing triggered that response-- better get back to topic so we don't get in trouble for going all political and stuff.

I am happy that Corey has already received his degree -- he seems like a very intelligent and hard working young man.
    Yeah, I was a bit slow on the concept. My time has been spent caring for our dog over the past month. She blew out her MCL in her left hind leg. Her 4 AM constitutionals are really messing with my body clock.

We love her, but I don't have the spare cash to pay $3-5 grand for a surgery that won't completely heal her.

Corey has size on the wing and shooting. Plus a kid you can trust to work hard and represent the organization well. The shooting has to really be there, though. A fine line between Joe Harris and a number of really good overseas pros.

I think all 3 will return but if any will go it’s him. And that would be awesome for him. Gonna be happy if he’s back or happy if he’s in the NBA. Still, the uncertainty of being a late 2nd makes me think he’ll come back if it looks like the NCAA season will happen.

Did not realize Corey had graduated. Assume he took advantage of the Running Start Program.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Did not realize Corey had graduated. Assume he took advantage of the Running Start Program.
    I bet more so its all the summer classes the athletes take. Really cuts down on the total timeline to get a degree when you are a year round student versus the traditional 3/4 of a year.

I bet more so its all the summer classes the athletes take. Really cuts down on the total timeline to get a degree when you are a year round student versus the traditional 3/4 of a year.
    He is also much more intelligent than your typical student athlete. He wasn't named Academic All Conference for no reason.

I think the uncertainty of the NCAA season makes this a much tougher decision for Corey than it otherwise would have been. In normal times, I think the lure of coming back for a potential national championship would outweigh the prospects of staying in the draft. The way things are, I just don't know. Who knows what will happen - normal length season, partial season, games with no fans, no season at all? The chance of choosing to come back only to have the season cancelled later, causing him to miss a whole season of organized basketball, would be something he'd have to consider. Heck, they already play G-League games with practically no fans, so we know they can do that at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
    I think the uncertainty of the NCAA season makes this a much tougher decision for Corey than it otherwise would have been. In normal times, I think the lure of coming back for a potential national championship would outweigh the prospects of staying in the draft. The way things are, I just don't know. Who knows what will happen - normal length season, partial season, games with no fans, no season at all? The chance of choosing to come back only to have the season cancelled later, causing him to miss a whole season of organized basketball, would be something he'd have to consider. Heck, they already play G-League games with practically no fans, so we know they can do that at a minimum.
    Shanachie - I want more than anything for all 3 guys to come back. I do think this could be a historic year for Gonzaga Men's basketball with a full roster. But as of today 5/6/20, I agree with you 100%. I do think the uncertainty surrounding everything makes this decision for anyone who is drafted much more difficult. Fingers crossed we get them back.

My fingers are crossed that all of them can play. NCAA,NBA, or G-league. Fans or no fans, in the beginning and then full stadiums in the end. Hope that the NCAA gets to play.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    My fingers are crossed that all of them can play. NCAA,NBA, or G-league. Fans or no fans, in the beginning and then full stadiums in the end. Hope that the NCAA gets to play.
    Mine too. I read, on another forum, that there are rumblings that MLB is shooting for a July 1 start. They didn't say if it is the 'all games played in Arizona or Florida" scenario, and I suspect it is, just to get the games going. Football, NFL style will be another to watch.
    If those two can figure out a way to let the teams practice and then play, it will bode well for the NCAA. Without fans would not be as nice, losing the Kennel experience and home court advantage, but just having the games played would help the country.
    It's not funny.

I think Tillie is going to rise in this draft once he shows off his skills and passes his physicals (and whatever concerns teams have about him medically). Aside from his tendency towards injuries, the guy is a perfect PF for the modern NBA game, even if he just comes off the bench. The ability to shoot it from deep, mid range, and his defensive versatility is going to be valued by several teams. Sadly, I think he was hurt by the NCAA tourney being cancelled. I really felt he was primed and ready for a Zach Collins like break out to elevate his stock. i am saying he would've been taken as highly as Collins, but he really was ready to elevate his stock to a new level (provided he stayed healthy).

Other than his size, I am frankly surprised Kispert is getting as much love as he is. He is so slow on the fast break (how many times did we see him get his lay up blocked this past season)? He's also mediocre (and poor at times) on defense, and he doesn't have a great mid range game.

All of these guys (besides Tillie, whose eligibility has ended) need to come back, and I am not saying that for selfish reasons. They are not ready, but I am afraid because this isn't the greatest draft. Something could happen at the combine that blows up somebody's draft stock. Sometimes that occurs.

One reason I can think of as to why Kispert may go pro is that he knows all too well how easy it is to essentially lose your spot to something like a sprained ankle, which happened his freshman year. He came busting out of the gates with a put back jam, then a few games later he was injured and saw his spot go to Norvell. Never was quite the same that year. And he knows that Watson and Strawther are capable of taking his minutes. So he may be thinking about taking the money route while it's available. Just pure speculation on my part as I have no idea what the young man is thinking. But I could definitely see this playing a part in his decision.

Few is notorious for his loyalty to the guys who’ve been in the program . I think Coreys minutes are mostly safe u less something untoward happens. The young guns will get minutes though...

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    One reason I can think of as to why Kispert may go pro is that he knows all too well how easy it is to essentially lose your spot to something like a sprained ankle, which happened his freshman year. He came busting out of the gates with a put back jam, then a few games later he was injured and saw his spot go to Norvell. Never was quite the same that year. And he knows that Watson and Strawther are capable of taking his minutes. So he may be thinking about taking the money route while it's available. Just pure speculation on my part as I have no idea what the young man is thinking. But I could definitely see this playing a part in his decision.
    I love Strawther's upside but as a frosh he isn't gonna even sniff Corey's minutes. Watson too has yet to shown he can play the 3 consistently at this level and I suspect most - if not all - of his minutes will be at the 4.

There is no ankle sprain that's losing Corey's minutes. He's fully entrenched as the starting 3. (especially with next years' lineup that is kinda lacking in 3 point shooting)

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    I love Strawther's upside but as a frosh he isn't gonna even sniff Corey's minutes. Watson too has yet to shown he can play the 3 consistently at this level and I suspect most - if not all - of his minutes will be at the 4.

There is no ankle sprain that's losing Corey's minutes. He's fully entrenched as the starting 3. (especially with next years' lineup that is kinda lacking in 3 point shooting)
    It was the ankle sprain his freshman year, after starting over Norvelle, that allowed Zach to take the starter spot.
    It is always the possibility that a serious ankle sprain will sideline a player for a lengthy time, and a younger and unimpaired player may receive extended minutes because of that. Getting the minutes back, while still rehabbing, could turn out to be difficult.
    It's not funny.