Thread: Endorsements and Promotions

Default Endorsements and Promotions

Board of Governors moves toward allowing student-athlete compensation for endorsements and promotions

The NCAA’s highest governing body has taken unprecedented steps to allow college athletes to be compensated for their name, image and likeness.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...and-promotions

Does that mean we are also one step closer to having a new NCAA 2k game?

Source: NCAA group to propose possible changes to allow athlete endorsements

According to a source, the working group intends to recommend the following "possible changes:"

Allow student-athletes to make money by modeling apparel as long as that apparel doesn't include school logos or other "school marks."

Allow athletes to make money from advertisements. Athletes would be allowed to identify themselves as college athletes in advertisements, but would not be allowed to reference the school they attend or include any school marks in the advertisement.

Prohibit athletes from marketing products that conflict with NCAA legislation, such as gambling operations or banned substances. Individual schools would also be allowed to prohibit athletes from marketing products that do not line up with the school's values.

Allow athletes to hire an agent to help procure marketing opportunities, so long as that agent does not seek professional sports opportunities for the client during his or her college career.

Require athletes to disclose the details of all endorsement contracts to their athletic department. The working group would recommend further discussion about whether a third party should be involved in overseeing these disclosures in a way that prevents endorsement deals from becoming improper recruiting enticements.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...e-endorsements

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I sure hope so but doesn't look like it: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...k1r3wz6an5dz1p

"Protecting the recruiting environment and prohibiting inducements to select, remain at or transfer to a specific institution."

and how exactly is that to be enforced?....with the loosening of transfer rules, it might very well be a nightmare of transferring "stars" just so they can get the big ad dollars offered by some business...and it doesn't have to be anything more then a simple phone call or conversation.

it can't be enforced...

hey, 5star, you can get $100,000 for playing at BIG TIME U thru ad revenue OR you can get barely anything elsewhere......where do you think they'll go.....

why do they insist on ruining college sports....

If I was a luxury car dealer locally, I would have paid somebody with a recognizable name...say Killian? Paid him big bucks to sit in the drivers seat of my Mercedes.
    It's not funny.

NO Will, the dealer would GIVE him one to drive around. It's like a moving billboard.
    Generally, once money enters the picture, things get corrupted and goals change. Sign of the times I guess.

Mike Roth discussed this a bit in his webinar today. Not knowing all of the particulars of this new ruling, it was a bit hard to understand all of his points, but his main concern is that the NCAA did not go far enough and that this ruling actually allows "those schools and coaches that have already been recorded offering incentives to recruits" to continue now with a system that will make it even easier to cheat and not be caught or penalized. He was all for the to student-athletes being able to profit from their name and likeness. I found it interesting.

I kind of wonder if a kid might be distracted by marketing himself might be able to focus on his basketball season. I guess the rules on this aren't written just yet but we're about to find out within 1 year.