• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsnider
    Kennel Club
    • Apr 2020

BYU on the rise

Let me preface by saying I am a huge Gonzaga fan. For years St. Mary's was our primary rival in the WCC. Despite St. Mary's going to the finals of the WCC tournament against GU by beating BYU, I think BYU was the better team when Yoeli Childs played. I think Mark Pope might give Mark Few a bit more of a challenge in the recruiting area. They were able to bring over Jake Toolson last year from Pope's old team Utah Valley but he was very instrumental in helping BYU be a very good team and probably a 5 seed in the tournament had it been played. This year they plucked Matt Haarms away from Kentucky and Gonzaga showed interest but couldn't move on him because we don't know what is happening with Petrusev. Haarms had glowing reports about Pope. Now i read that BYU has already been in contact with Javon Freeman-Liberty from Valpo. He would be a very nice sit out transfer. Gonzaga has been rumored to be interested but they haven't been known to contact him yet. My point is Mark Pope seems to be much more aggressive than Dave Rose and he seems as if he the right coach to bring BYU to the next level above st. Mary's. I do like the WCC to be as competitive as possible just as long as Gonzaga stays on top and i am much more concerned about BYU than the Gaels now.
    Love the Zags!!!
  • Shooter
    Bulldog Fan
    • Jan 2019

Childs gone, Toolson gone, Hawes gone. BYU is going to take a giant leap backwards next year.

Comment

• Bogozags
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
      Childs gone, Toolson gone, Hawes gone. BYU is going to take a giant leap backwards next year.
      From what I’ve read BYU, besides Haarms, is recruiting 3* and transfers...and not having lots of luck so far...

Comment

• caldwellzag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2018

I think BYU on the rise is nothing but a great thing for Gonzaga.

Comment

• GuZag2012
          Kennel Club Material
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
          I agree completely...If BYU and St Mary's or another school join Gonzaga as top 25 caliber teams each year it would help change the perception of WCC. It would be great to consistently be a 3 bid league like we would have been this year if the tourney happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Malastein
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GuZag2012 View Post
            I agree completely...If BYU and St Mary's or another school join Gonzaga as top 25 caliber teams each year it would help change the perception of WCC. It would be great to consistently be a 3 bid league like we would have been this year if the tourney happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The WCC is probably 2 good teams away from being as good as the PAC 12.
            The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• Shooter
              Bulldog Fan
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
              I completely agree.

Comment

• Corky
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
                Do you really think Hawes is gone? I could see him being around for another ten years.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Corky View Post
                  Do you really think Hawes is gone? I could see him being around for another ten years.
                  Perhaps he has a 30-year old younger brother that is done with his mission and is ready to break onto the college basketball scene.

Comment

• Spink
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2018

Pope has plenty to offer recruits right now...unlimited playing time, shot after shot. Because currently they have nobody.

Only semi joking.

Comment

Working...
                    X