• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grand Valley Zag
    Kennel Club
    • Nov 2017

I sure the @#$% hope so.

A bigger deal to me personally is being able to grapple again.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
      Smallpox is calling, it would like a word. (If it still existed.)
      Measles beat smallpox to the punch.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2008

When the WHO says that there is no evidence that antibodies prevent reinfection it is a very misleading statement and should be taken with a grain of salt. If this were true, search for a vaccine would be pointless. I would love to see a reporter ask them to qualify statements like that but reporters seem to be dancing to the pied piper right now.

Comment

• LTownZag
          Banned
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
          Measles beat smallpox to the punch.
          The last victim of Smallpox, Janet Parker, died 42 years ago.
          The virus has been eradicated for decades, though secret strains may or may not exist at a couple of the world's most secure facilities.

More than half a million people were infected of Measles last year alone. Over 100,000 die annually.

How did measles beat smallpox?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Yes, but late start, maybe January.

Comment

• Mantua
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
              This is not a mere possibility and it has been the subjected of news stories for weeks now. Aerosolized transmission accounts comparison was even in the New England Journal of Medicine 2 weeks ago.

I personally do not expect an NCAA season with fans in the stands, at least more than about 1/2 capacity and enforced distancing. I could imagine some places having intentionally sparse stands and mandatory masks though.

College football is played outdoors, earlier in the fall/winter flu season, and without recirculating air.

Given that next November we will not have had widespread use of an effective vaccine, and will likely not yet have reached herd immunity or even over 20% yet infected from natural disease spread, I am having a hard time imagining authorities allowing tens of thousands of susceptible people to be clumped together indoors for 2-4 hours at a time in the height of flu season, especially including many students who soon would disperse nationally over winter break following the first 6 weeks of the season.

But that's just, you know, one man's opinion.
              I don’t think that the concept has yet to become part of general public knowledge, but that’s true of many aspects of this pandemic. It’s clear that you are making an effort to dig out as much information as possible. Most aren’t. There is still a lot of knowledge to be gained about the virus. I used the word "possibility" because we need more studies on aerosol transmission, despite the findings being very likely to be true.
              Last edited by Mantua; 04-29-2020, 02:22 PM.
              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

The new England article doesn't have much to do with transmission which is the key to keeping places shuttered or open. What the article shows is progressive deterioration of a virus on different surfaces. Along those same lines, a leap of logic must occur to generate an assumption that somehow a viral load on an inanimate surface might be somehow attached to a human who might then give it to someone else. Nothing in the article's data or any data published so far that might measure transmission. Basically it's a test tube article that should be and IS confined to loads against time on inert surfaces. We know that porous surfaces vs hard metal surfaces ( a doorknob for instance) allows for a bit longer life for a virus.

It's a nice try to smuggle in viral dynamics and somehow apply them to a basketball season. I do think, as this virus peters out, that by late fall we will have a season provided that nothing unanticipated happens. Fauci hints that when winter comes there might be increased activity of this virus as well as resurgence of FLU ( which happens anyway). Nobody knows for sure. I am planning to see the Zags open as a no 1 ranking with a no 1 seed and going the distance..the WHOLE distance I am praying for it.

Some may not agree. but why not us??

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

I'm not sure of the source or the accuracy, but this makes sense.
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

This also makes a lot of sense, and the source doesn't matter.

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Both funny especially the 2nd one Will. Had to chuckle.

The first one underscores what China told every available ear that there was no human to human transmission. Big price to pay for big fibs...

Comment

• zagbeliever
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Jan 2013

Yes! (optimistic)

Comment

• zagbeliever
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Jan 2013

My niece is a microbiologist at Rocky mountain Labs in Montana. They are working on and expect to distribute a vaccine in September

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

May shorten it from 11 to 7 days. Need to see the data. We need prevention. And those who should be treated aggressively treat d are theoldsters with comorbid diseases .

Comment

• zagbeliever
                                Bleeds GU Blue
                                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                                May shorten it from 11 to 7 days. Need to see the data. We need prevention. And those who should be treated aggressively treat d are theoldsters with comorbid diseases .
                                Sadly, I'm kind of in that category by having an autoimmune disease. Rocky Mountain Labs is actually working on a vaccine which according to the paper is soon to be made in India and if all goes accordingly will be available in September.

"A team of researchers at the Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Hamilton, Montana have reported promising results are they work with scientists and doctors around the world to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. The scientists injected six rhesus macaques with vaccine and said that after exposing them to the coronavirus for 28 days, none of the monkeys tested positive for the virus.

The team will begin human trials later this week, which they hope to finish by September. If the vaccine does prove to be safe and effective, there could be an abundant supply ready to be distributed.

The Serum Institute of India, which is the largest vaccine producer in the world, announced they would begin manufacturing the vaccine. They hope to start churning out five million doses per month to get ahead of the demand, and suggested they could double that production if necessary.

"We are not waiting for the trials to get over in September in the UK, and then start production here," Adar Poonawalla, the CEO of the Serum Institute of India, told the Times of India. "The decision — at our own risk and cost — has been solely taken to get a jump-start on manufacturing, to have enough doses available, if the clinical trials prove successful."

The news comes after a team of researchers from Sinovac Biotech, a privately-held Chinese company, had similar results testing monkeys and is beginning the first phase of clinical trials in China. In their study, the monkeys that were not given the vaccine all got sick when exposed to the coronavirus."

Early stages but promising. (that is the above link I posted)

Comment

Working...
                                X