Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will we have a season this year?

Yes! (optimistic)

My niece is a microbiologist at Rocky mountain Labs in Montana. They are working on and expect to distribute a vaccine in September

https://news.iheart.com/featured/cor...line1_readmore

May shorten it from 11 to 7 days. Need to see the data. We need prevention. And those who should be treated aggressively treat d are theoldsters with comorbid diseases .

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    May shorten it from 11 to 7 days. Need to see the data. We need prevention. And those who should be treated aggressively treat d are theoldsters with comorbid diseases .
    Sadly, I'm kind of in that category by having an autoimmune disease. Rocky Mountain Labs is actually working on a vaccine which according to the paper is soon to be made in India and if all goes accordingly will be available in September.

"A team of researchers at the Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Hamilton, Montana have reported promising results are they work with scientists and doctors around the world to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. The scientists injected six rhesus macaques with vaccine and said that after exposing them to the coronavirus for 28 days, none of the monkeys tested positive for the virus.

The team will begin human trials later this week, which they hope to finish by September. If the vaccine does prove to be safe and effective, there could be an abundant supply ready to be distributed.

The Serum Institute of India, which is the largest vaccine producer in the world, announced they would begin manufacturing the vaccine. They hope to start churning out five million doses per month to get ahead of the demand, and suggested they could double that production if necessary.

"We are not waiting for the trials to get over in September in the UK, and then start production here," Adar Poonawalla, the CEO of the Serum Institute of India, told the Times of India. "The decision — at our own risk and cost — has been solely taken to get a jump-start on manufacturing, to have enough doses available, if the clinical trials prove successful."

The news comes after a team of researchers from Sinovac Biotech, a privately-held Chinese company, had similar results testing monkeys and is beginning the first phase of clinical trials in China. In their study, the monkeys that were not given the vaccine all got sick when exposed to the coronavirus."

Early stages but promising. (that is the above link I posted)

It's a nice try to smuggle in viral dynamics and somehow apply them to a basketball season. I do think, as this virus peters out, that by late fall we will have a season provided that nothing unanticipated happens. Fauci hints that when winter comes there might be increased activity of this virus as well as resurgence of FLU ( which happens anyway).

I linked the NEJM article. It was solely to show we've known of aerosol transmission for weeks. There was no smuggling, attempted or otherwise.

Fauci hints that when winter comes there might be increased activity of this virus as well as resurgence of FLU ( which happens anyway).
    Abe, does that actually sound to you like an accurate representation of what Fauci just said?

Or just take this guy's advice:
    It’s just a minor variation of the flu. Tony Fauci is running this program for Trump. Listen to what he says.
    Watch the video here - the primary source, and let me know if you think you accurately portrayed the words of your friend Mr. Fauci.
    <iframe width=560 height=349 src=https://player.cnbc.com/p/gZWlPC/cnbc_global?playertype=synd&byGuid=7000133778 frameborder=0 scrolling=no allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen ></iframe>

If a TV channel you don't like summarized a politician you do like with that degree of accuracy, how would you feel about them as reliable sources? ("hints...might be increased activity")? Why not just go strait to the source of the quote:

“I’m almost certain it will come back. The virus is so transmissible and it’s globally spread,” Fauci said, noting that as cases in the U.S. stabilize, parts of the world like southern Africa are seeing an increase in cases.

“In my mind, it’s inevitable that we will have a return of the virus or maybe it never went away,” he added.

As states around the country take steps to reopen their economies, Fauci said testing, isolating those who are infected and tracing their contacts will be key in the coming months in keeping the number of projected deaths down to roughly 70,000 or 80,000.

“If by that time we have put into place all of the countermeasures that you need to address this, we should do reasonably well,” Fauci said. “If we don’t do that successfully, we could be in for a bad fall and a bad winter.”

Since a ban was put on Chinese coming to the US, Im certain this largely explains why our mortality is so low. Once China refused to let US Docs in, we knew something ( didn't know what exactly) was up.
    -Low mortality? (you still certain of the explanation for a non-existant result? Is that like being certain of Santa's favorite color?)
    -China never refused to let international or USA doctors in (and never kicked them out).
    -If "we" (Trump and the feds) knew "something was up", why was Trump publicly praising and speaking confidently about China's dictator and the Chinese response throughout January and as late as Feb 7, at least? Why on March 6 would Trump have said "it’s an unforeseen problem. What a problem. Came out of nowhere, but we’re taking care of it."

Big price to pay for big fibs...

Last edited by LTownZag; 04-29-2020 at 09:45 PM.

I don’t know if the moderators want this back and forth to be done again. Taking LTown to school is a bit uninteresting and may be tiresome.. Reno stopped it in the Foo. One might think LTown would get the point. More so when the board here is basketball.

More so when the board here is basketball.
    The subject of this discussion thread is if COVID-19 will prevent all or part of the upcoming season. That discussion is inherently more about epidemiology that about Xs and Os.

ABE, if you are ever able to find that I've written or linked to anything innacurate, you ever correct any of the many inaccurate things you have broadcast, or you simply stop spreading misinformation as a public-facing MD, I will stop correcting that misinformation and would apologize if anything I write is incorrect. I would like nothing more than factual information being as widely spread as possible.

If you can point me to any evidence that China "kicked out" or refused entry to USA health officials, I'd love to learn more about those events. You've described those events as "beyond dispute" so linking a single article should be simple.

You guys can do it in private messaging...or get a room?

It is for sure that the back and forth, no matter who is right, will get the thread locked.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    The subject of this discussion thread is if COVID-19 will prevent all or part of the upcoming season. That discussion is inherently more about epidemiology that about Xs and Os.

ABE, if you are ever able to find that I've written or linked to anything innacurate, you ever correct any of the many inaccurate things you have broadcast, or you simply stop spreading misinformation as a public-facing MD, I will stop correcting that misinformation and would apologize if anything I write is incorrect. I would like nothing more than factual information being as widely spread as possible.

If you can point me to any evidence that China "kicked out" or refused entry to USA health officials, I'd love to learn more about those events. You've described those events as "beyond dispute" so linking a single article should be simple.
    I linked six in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I linked six in the other thread.
    Mark - thank you!

Here is the link to a list of some stories Mark found about China refusing to let US Doctors visit Wuhan in January, and eventually (Tuesday, Jan 28) agreeing to let doctors in, under the leadership of WHO staff. ( http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...02#post1517802 )

It looks like US doctors were never kicked out, but they were also denied entry in January when the HHS secretary requested visitation rights.

I apologize to MDABE80 for doubting this incident, and thank Mr. Mark Burn for linking to some stories about it.