Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jalen Suggs

Default Jalen Suggs

Congrats on earning another award!

Allen Iverson Roundball Classic
    @iversonclassic
    ·
    5h
    The 2020 #IversonClassicAwards winner for The People’s Choice Award is Jalen Suggs! Trophy Earned without a doubt!

Congrats Jalen - how about wCC newcomer of the year next year? And maybe some on the bigger stage?

Nice to have a thread about him.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Congrats Jalen - how about wCC newcomer of the year next year? And maybe some on the bigger stage?
    I’m hoping he gets WCC Player of the Year!!!

I can't wait to see Suggs play next year. He looks really great from what I have seen. I am saying the 3 guys in question will all come back. Fingers crossed. With Suggs at PG, Ayayi at SG, Kispert on the wing, Watson at the SF, and Petrusev at PF/C along with Timme, Cook, Harris, Strawther, Ballo, Arlo, and pavel all in the rotation - this team can be promised land special. We have some unfinished from 2017 and this just might be the team to do it. Suggs and the rest of the team are that good. I just hope they can do it in front of their fan base. The Kennel should rock 'n' roll under normal circumstances. Go Zags!!!

One more thing. Sean Farnham from ESPN said that the BYU fans, when they played and beat us during our last game with them, was the LOUDEST he has ever heard any fan base in all of the games he has covered. With Jalen Suggs and the rest of the team leading the way in 2020 - 2021, let's return the favor to Mark Pope and the BYU team. Go Zags!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    I can't wait to see Suggs play next year. He looks really great from what I have seen. I am saying the 3 guys in question will all come back. Fingers crossed. With Suggs at PG, Ayayi at SG, Kispert on the wing, Watson at the SF, and Petrusev at PF/C along with Timme, Cook, Harris, Strawther, Ballo, Arlo, and pavel all in the rotation - this team can be promised land special. We have some unfinished from 2017 and this just might be the team to do it. Suggs and the rest of the team are that good. I just hope they can do it in front of their fan base. The Kennel should rock 'n' roll under normal circumstances. Go Zags!!!
    So true. Team scrimmages would be more competitive than 80% of WCC schedule.

PG: Suggs / Cook
    SG: Ayayi / Harris
    SF: Kispert / Strawther / Arlauskas
    PF: Watson / Timme
    C: Petrusev / Ballo / Zakharov
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Meanwhile, Daishen Nix is off to the G league. Guess we recruited the right guy.

How concerned should we be that Suggs does the same thing? His father has been pushing hard for him to go pro. Holding my breath. What do you guys think? Nix never indicated the pro option was something he was looking at but Suggs had.

How concerned should we be that Suggs does the same thing? His father has been pushing hard for him to go pro. Holding my breath. What do you guys think? Nix never indicated the pro option was something he was looking at but Suggs had.
    So $300,000+ and a possibility of becoming a two way player, or playing for the Zags with the potential of becoming a lottery pick, if he is as good as he thinks he is.

Makes sense to...someone.
    It's not funny.

Not sure if or how it affects Suggs. But I will not criticize a kid for taking 300K plus for one year.
    If that’s not life changing money for you, your life is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Not sure if or how it affects Suggs. But I will not criticize a kid for taking 300K plus for one year.
    $300K after taxes, paying his agent, buying his new $100K care, and cost of living in cities like LA, is hardly life changing. Good for a kid with nothing? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    So $300,000+ and a possibility of becoming a two way player, or playing for the Zags with the potential of becoming a lottery pick, if he is as good as he thinks he is.

Makes sense to...someone.
    Isn't his father, Larry, holding firm not at $300,000 but more like $1 million? I think the G League has said that is not doable. I think some guys got as much as $500,000, not sure what Nix got, but nobody that I know of received what his father is asking for. It would seem for now that Suggs remains a Zag unless they decide to lower their demand by 50-70% which is still a nice number for an 18 year old.

Isn't his father, Larry, holding firm not at $300,000 but more like $1 million? I think the G League has said that is not doable. I think some guys got as much as $500,000, not sure what Nix got, but nobody that I know of received what his father is asking for. It would seem for now that Suggs remains a Zag unless they decide to lower their demand by 50-70% which is still a nice number for an 18 year old.
    Yes most reports are they were looking for in the range of 1 million dollars to go pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    This is literally the dumbest financial decision these kids could make. If this kid drops a single slot in the draft by doing this, he will lose millions of dollar over just 2 years. Not to mention that he now has no marketability, and is giving the NBA a whole year to completely dissect him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    This is literally the dumbest financial decision these kids could make. If this kid drops a single slot in the draft by doing this, he will lose millions of dollar over just 2 years. Not to mention that he now has no marketability, and is giving the NBA a whole year to completely dissect him.
    On the flip side, maybe this kid had no affinity for school. This decision also gives the NBA people a chance to develop him full time. There is at least an equal chance of improving his skills and his draft potential. Finally, college for the student is about networking and developing relationships that may be beneficial long term. In the G this kid will have a chance to enhance his contacts with legit league people.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    On the flip side, maybe this kid had no affinity for school. This decision also gives the NBA people a chance to develop him full time. There is at least an equal chance of improving his skills and his draft potential. Finally, college for the student is about networking and developing relationships that may be beneficial long term. In the G this kid will have a chance to enhance his contacts with legit league people.
    This upcoming season will be the test case for the G League and elite high school talent. The calculation is impossible to fathom right now. How will the GL effect marketability and draft stock? As far as NCAA basketball is concerned: Are the odds of not meshing with a coach, being academically ineligible, or an injury less of a risk? Is the development any better in the GL? I would argue that what a kid misses out on in the GL is all the skills that don’t show up on a stat sheet. Learning how to lead, how to be a teammate, how to check your ego, how to live on your own....etc. Who is to say what’s better in the long run? And to be honest would most of us care all that much of our highest ranking recruit wasn’t in danger of going the G League route?

Suggs sounds like a great young man with loving parents that want what’s best for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I think in a perfect world some of those things would be true, but this decision is all about $$$$. These kids and their families are jumping at $300k because they think it's better than earning nothing. BUT, the amount of risk they are taking to earn the $300k is immense. You go play against grown men and give the NBA a free (basically) chance to pick you apart. If this kid ends up the #1 pick after playing in the G League, then he would be the #1 pick playing at at program like UCLA. But now he's lost all that marketability. I just really don't see the best case scenario going the G League route ever being better than playing even a year in college. Not when they are only paying these guys $300k.

And if you can't stay eligible for a single semester at any college as an athlete, you're probably not even smart enough to learn NBA plays.

I answered a hand full of questions in PM's about this, Larry and Jalen have talked to the G-League and have held firm on their amount. The G-League has moved on and signed Nix's instead. From all reports I am hearing the G-League is wanting 8-10 highly touted players to basically come in and "train" for a year and help sell tickets, they may not even play and if they do it won't be much. They are not willing to pay Jalen's asking price.

Jalen will end up better off coming to GU and playing on the number 1 ranked team in the country all year, then becoming a lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I answered a hand full of questions in PM's about this, Larry and Jalen have talked to the G-League and have held firm on their amount. The G-League has moved on and signed Nix's instead. From all reports I am hearing the G-League is wanting 8-10 highly touted players to basically come in and "train" for a year and help sell tickets, they may not even play and if they do it won't be much. They are not willing to pay Jalen's asking price.

Jalen will end up better off coming to GU and playing on the number 1 ranked team in the country all year, then becoming a lottery pick.
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post

Right on!!!! I love it. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Meanwhile, Daishen Nix is off to the G league. Guess we recruited the right guy.
    Hopefully you're right! But don't think any of us can read the future! So the good Lord willing and the creek doesn't rise, Jalen will be on campus as expected.

If anything, like Caldwell said, this is a good sign for us because they are now filling the PG spot on their G-league AAU team with Nix. People should hold back on commenting on the wisdom of going down this G league route or not until we know more. It is hard to tell exactly what NBA is trying to accomplish with this G-League academy team since it will cost upwards of 8 figures and not many are going to pay attention to a g league team. Right two of their three guys are marginal first round talents (have as good of a chance of not being lottery picks as being lottery picks next draft).

If you want to watch a G League team of kids fresh out of high school, you can always watch Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    If you want to watch a G League team of kids fresh out of high school, you can always watch Kentucky.
    It's not funny.