Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 156

Thread: Jalen Suggs

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,486

    Default

    Courtside Films
    @CourtsideFilms
    ·
    May 3
    Jalen Suggs pull up game is crazy!
    @JalenSuggs2020

    https://twitter.com/CourtsideFilms/s...02671103905794

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Courtside Films
    @CourtsideFilms
    ·
    May 3
    Jalen Suggs pull up game is crazy!
    @JalenSuggs2020

    https://twitter.com/CourtsideFilms/s...02671103905794
    Erotic

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Erotic
    Is this clip safe for work?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Down Under, you know Opera house etc.
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Siiiiick!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    I.Cannot.Wait!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,486

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,200

    Default MaxPreps 2019-20 Male High School Athlete of the Year: Jalen Suggs

    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    131

    Default

    The day Suggs steps on campus, he will already go down as one of the most gifted athletes to ever be at GU. What an incredible get for this program.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    That twitter video shows that Suggs has an extraordinary QUICK release on his 3 pt. and mid range jumper. That combined with his height and athleticism makes him a very, very tough player to defend. If you try to defend that jumper too closely, he'll blow right past you.

    In the presser that was released when Jalen signed, Few said something along the lines of, "I look forward to working with him." Few has never said that about a player. What he essentially said in that quote was that he was an extraordinary lucky man to coach a diamond of a player and to be able to polish him as a prospect. Think of a guy like Joel and how much he improved last offseason. It only stands to reason that Suggs is only going to get better and better under Few and his staff. And everything I have heard is that he has a big time work ethic and is very coachable.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    For me the G League is only an alternative route for a guy like former Arizona prospect like Brandon Jennings. He was not going to play for Zona due to academic problems. Or if a kid is a can't miss prospect whose family lives in the slums of Detroit and has trouble putting food on the table without hearing gunfire in the streets. Neither of these situations apply to Suggs. Nobody watches the G league, their coaches aren't as good as the elite coaches in college basketball at TEACHING the game, and the primary purpose of the G League is for players to get out of it as opposed to winning basketball games that really matter to fans. I've said this before, but the NBA needs to enact a G League rule that rosters must remain intact throughout the entire season. No player can be called up. Baseball, unlike basketball, is a cooperative sport. 7 things have to happen involving all 5 players for LeBron to get a one second look at a 12 foot jumper. Baseball is essentially a game between a batter and a pitcher. I know minor league baseball fans hate to see their best players called up toward the end of the season, but when it occurs, it doesn't damage a great player's development. Even in Michael Jordan's book "I Can't Accept Not Trying," he acknowledges that without his Bulls teammates, he wouldn't have achieved the individual success he did. It's such a cooperative game where players must know their roles and put their egos aside. Think of a guy like Ronny Turiaf and all the bucks he made in the NBA as a role player. Being a great role player in the NBA is a valued commodity. The G League, as it is currently set up, doesn't reward role playing. I realize this is off subject and is really more about my criticism of the NBA, but they need to figure out a way to make their game results matter more...........so that if a player loses, he gets pissed and can't wait to get to practice and bash the next opponent.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,069

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    For me the G League is only an alternative route for a guy like former Arizona prospect like Brandon Jennings. He was not going to play for Zona due to academic problems. Or if a kid is a can't miss prospect whose family lives in the slums of Detroit and has trouble putting food on the table without hearing gunfire in the streets. Neither of these situations apply to Suggs. Nobody watches the G league, their coaches aren't as good as the elite coaches in college basketball at TEACHING the game, and the primary purpose of the G League is for players to get out of it as opposed to winning basketball games that really matter to fans. I've said this before, but the NBA needs to enact a G League rule that rosters must remain intact throughout the entire season. No player can be called up. Baseball, unlike basketball, is a cooperative sport. 7 things have to happen involving all 5 players for LeBron to get a one second look at a 12 foot jumper. Baseball is essentially a game between a batter and a pitcher. I know minor league baseball fans hate to see their best players called up toward the end of the season, but when it occurs, it doesn't damage a great player's development. Even in Michael Jordan's book "I Can't Accept Not Trying," he acknowledges that without his Bulls teammates, he wouldn't have achieved the individual success he did. It's such a cooperative game where players must know their roles and put their egos aside. Think of a guy like Ronny Turiaf and all the bucks he made in the NBA as a role player. Being a great role player in the NBA is a valued commodity. The G League, as it is currently set up, doesn't reward role playing. I realize this is off subject and is really more about my criticism of the NBA, but they need to figure out a way to make their game results matter more...........so that if a player loses, he gets pissed and can't wait to get to practice and bash the next opponent.
    Disagree about the coaching. Sam Mitchell, former NBA coach of the year will be the coach of the Elite team. He will be helped by David Fizdale, one of the most successful international coaches and a very good NBA Coach. Brian Shaw will also help.

    Steve Kerr was asked recently about the product coming out of the college ranks. He is of the opinion that it isn’t very good and the draftees are generally a couple years away from really learning how the game is played.

    The kids that choose the G league route will be focused 100% on basketball and will have some of the best coaching in the world. If they pay attention they will be much farther along than the kids juggling school with basketball.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Disagree about the coaching. Sam Mitchell, former NBA coach of the year will be the coach of the Elite team. He will be helped by David Fizdale, one of the most successful international coaches and a very good NBA Coach. Brian Shaw will also help.

    Steve Kerr was asked recently about the product coming out of the college ranks. He is of the opinion that it isn’t very good and the draftees are generally a couple years away from really learning how the game is played.

    The kids that choose the G league route will be focused 100% on basketball and will have some of the best coaching in the world. If they pay attention they will be much farther along than the kids juggling school with basketball.
    The G League has gotten a lot better in recent years. It now resembles the baseball farm system. Most of the teams are now direct affiliates of one NBA franchise. This means that the parent franchise selects the players and coaches who develop them. The parent directs the affiliate to run the same offensive and defensive sets. The G League coaches are expected to work on targeted aspects of the top players’ games. The teams often practice together during the preseason. The NBA franchise expects those players to be ready to play with the parent team, immediately, if a player gets called up in an emergency.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Yeah, college coaching and NBA coaching are much different. Part of the aim for the G League is to get the players more ready to contribute as rookies. NBA teams have to teach a lot of concepts to their rookies because the college game and NBA game are pretty dissimilar. The G League is hoping to assist in that learning curve for young players and will certainly give these players quality coaching considering the investment they're making in them.

    Unfortunately for the G League, I can't really imagine fans ever being too interested in it. Hopefully it's an option for the top HS players but not a route that many go down, like CDC alluded to.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,891

    Default

    I'd like the NBA to just allow HS grads to play immediately and if they chose to go to school instead, then they can't enter the draft until after their junior year just like MLB handles it drafting status...

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    This is so awesome!

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I'd like the NBA to just allow HS grads to play immediately and if they chose to go to school instead, then they can't enter the draft until after their junior year just like MLB handles it drafting status...
    Agree totally, and further...should they choose to try out for the NBA and not get drafted or signed afterwards, they should then be able to choose between Europe, the G league and college. Most of the better schools will not have a schollie open, so it is a gamble on their part.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Disagree about the coaching. Sam Mitchell, former NBA coach of the year will be the coach of the Elite team. He will be helped by David Fizdale, one of the most successful international coaches and a very good NBA Coach. Brian Shaw will also help.

    Steve Kerr was asked recently about the product coming out of the college ranks. He is of the opinion that it isn’t very good and the draftees are generally a couple years away from really learning how the game is played.

    The kids that choose the G league route will be focused 100% on basketball and will have some of the best coaching in the world. If they pay attention they will be much farther along than the kids juggling school with basketball.
    I completely and utterly disagree w/ Kerr and others. The G League still does not play in any games that matter to people (which is the single most underrated aspect in player development), and I still feel, regardless of what the NBA hype machine says, that esteemed coaches like Mark Few who must turn non-NBA caliber players into Final Four/National Title players to avoid being fired are far better teachers of the game than NBA cast off coaches and many NBA head coaches - I do not care how many titles Kerr has won as a player and coach. It's not the same as TEACHING the game of basketball to players who have no idea what they are doing.

    You must understand that most high schoolers who enter Duke or KU don't even know what a down screen is. All they are told in high school is "don't foul out, or we will lose." I trust Coach K to develop those raw youngsters into elite players far, far more than any G League coach. ANY G League coach. The NBA is just trying to promote itself because they can see the age limit is coming to an end, and they'd rather have the young bucks in the U.S. where they can keep an eye on them than seeing them play overseas.

    I have no problems with eradicating the age limit, but I feel in order to do so, G League teams must be held intact from game one through the end of the championship series, and that coaches need to be retained and be informed that their main job is to develop players like elite college coaches do....................otherwise they will see a pink slip. None of that, NONE OF THAT happens in the G League at the present time. I have witnessed 5x the enthusiasm at high school basketball games involving non-ranked HS teams. No one cares about G League game results and standings. I feel that those game results are extremely important to players getting better. Any NBA guy arguing otherwise is hurting their league and their development of players. I don't care if they have won 27 titles as a player and coach. They are still vastly wrong. Just because you have won titles does't mean you know how to develop players. The best talent teachers are often men like Brian Michaelson and Mark Few who hardly played. Magic, despite being a favorite player, was a failure as a coach and talent developer. Michael Jordan was a total disaster. I don't trust most NBA starting, championship players to develop HS players. They're too good and too impatient to develop talent. Again, they are too impatient. They expect high draft picks to be just like THEM, when they were often 3 year players and played under the finest talent developers in the world like Dean Smith and Jud Heathcote, and in Kerr's case, Lute Olson. You don't feel Kerr has taken a massive amount of coaching acumen from Lute Olson?? I would trust Lute 20 years ago to develop my player far more than any under player G League coach. Those guys are amateurs compared to Lute when it comes to TEACHING THE GAME.
    Last edited by CDC84; 05-30-2020 at 03:16 AM.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I completely and utterly disagree w/ Kerr and others. The G League still does not play in any games that matter to people (which is the single most underrated aspect in player development), and I still feel, regardless of what the NBA hype machine says, that esteemed coaches like Mark Few who must turn non-NBA caliber players into Final Four/National Title players to avoid being fired are far better teachers of the game than NBA cast off coaches and many NBA head coaches - I do not care how many titles Kerr has won as a player and coach. It's not the same as TEACHING the game of basketball to players who have no idea what they are doing.

    You must understand that most high schoolers who enter Duke or KU don't even know what a down screen is. All they are told in high school is "don't foul out, or we will lose." I trust Coach K to develop those raw youngsters into elite players far, far more than any G League coach. ANY G League coach. The NBA is just trying to promote itself because they can see the age limit is coming to an end, and they'd rather have the young bucks in the U.S. where they can keep an eye on them than seeing them play overseas.

    I have no problems with eradicating the age limit, but I feel in order to do so, G League teams must be held intact from game one through the end of the championship series, and that coaches need to be retained and be informed that their main job is to develop players like elite college coaches do....................otherwise they will see a pink slip. None of that, NONE OF THAT happens in the G League at the present time. I have witnessed 5x the enthusiasm at high school basketball games involving non-ranked HS teams. No one cares about G League game results and standings. I feel that those game results are extremely important to players getting better. Any NBA guy arguing otherwise is hurting their league and their development of players. I don't care if they have won 27 titles as a player and coach. They are still vastly wrong. Just because you have won titles does't mean you know how to develop players. The best talent teachers are often men like Brian Michaelson and Mark Few who hardly played. Magic, despite being a favorite player, was a failure as a coach and talent developer. Michael Jordan was a total disaster. I don't trust most NBA starting, championship players to develop HS players. They're too good and too impatient to develop talent. Again, they are too impatient. They expect high draft picks to be just like THEM, when they were often 3 year players and played under the finest talent developers in the world like Dean Smith and Jud Heathcote, and in Kerr's case, Lute Olson. You don't feel Kerr has taken a massive amount of coaching acumen from Lute Olson?? I would trust Lute 20 years ago to develop my player far more than any under player G League coach. Those guys are amateurs compared to Lute when it comes to TEACHING THE GAME.
    There are always outliers. Coach K is one of them. Although, he won a National Championship one year without running a play the entire year. Talent helps in that regard.

    Most college coaches are better recruiters than they are coaches. Roy Williams and Sean Miller come to mind. Coaches like Few, Beard at Texas Tech and Jay Wright at Villanova are rare. Please don't tell me a guy like Romar who had multiple NBA talented players know how to coach the game.

    The NBA game is incredibly more complex than the college game. Steve Kerr has more out of bounds plays than most college coaches entire playbook. Kerr an Popovich and many others are sources of knowledge for guys like Few. Few and any number of college coaches request time at their practices to gain insight on how to teach the game.

    Most top college teams run very few offensive sets. The biggest reason for that is the time they are allowed to actually practice. An NBA coach and G League coaches do not have those restrictions so they are able to implement more variations of their base offense and adjust their sets depending on who is in the game. Another reason is that the most talented college teams don't need to be all that complex because they rely on their players to overwhelm the opposition instead of needing to make in game adjustments on a continual basis to maximize each possession. As complex as Few's scheme is, his teams run virtually the same sets no matter which of his players, starters or bench, are in the game. Roy Williams has run the same fast break offense for decades mostly because he recruits the talent to get away with it. Last year proved he couldn't adjust. Defensive schemes in the NBA are equally complex. Trying to figure out who to guard, when to double or just dig, flying help from the weak side sometimes the entire width of the court, etc. doesn't need to be done against most college competition because most of the opposition has only one or two guys that need to be contained. In the NBA, there are usually three or four guys on the floor that can burn you if they aren't accounted for.

    Zag fans are lucky to be able to have watched Few evolve over the years. I was never so happy when he abandoned the flex offense. Haha.

    Kids that decide the G league is their route will be taught the game morning, noon and night. They will learn the game in depth more quickly than being in college simply by virtue of time spent on the court and in the film room. Eventually the G league will become the basketball version of baseball's minor league system that produces better players and coaches than colleges do. No one cares if the San Jose Giants beat the Stockton Ports either. What they care about is developing Joey Bart, an excellent college player, into a major league product.

    By the way, I love watching minor league baseball almost as much as watching college basketball.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,056

    Default

    By the way, I love watching minor league baseball almost as much as watching college basketball.
    I lived in El Paso after college. The El Paso Diablos at that time was one of the best run minor league franchises in the country. Great family entertainment, a promotion every night, and the owner (Jim Paul) inspected the rest rooms every 30 minutes.

    I went on active duty shortly after graduation in '76, was stationed at Fort Bliss. During that summer, Amarillo came to town for a series. One of their catchers was Rick Sweet, GU '76. I would see him again about ten years later, when he was managing the AA team for the Padres (IIRC).

    The Diablos ballpark is a beautiful venue for watching a game.

    As to the G League, I predict it will become a casualty of the recent Covid crisis and last year's blowback from China. Both events are likely to play havoc with the financial model for the NBA, and the WNBA and G League will be negatively impacted. A year ago, the NBA's future revenues were escalating year over year, with no real end in sight. Teams had extra profits to invest in the WNBA and the G League.

    Those plans seem to have hit a brick wall, but the fiscal reality hasn't been felt as far as I can tell. I think that starts when the salary cap for next year is announced, at a lesser amount than this year. That will create more opportunities for rookies and younger players, as veteran players will get the axe, so teams can stay under the cap.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,486

    Default

    Jalen Suggs, Chet Holmgren should consider going straight preps-to-pros due to Covid-19 pandemic, AAU coach says

    https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/06/23/...au-coach-says/

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    39

    Default

    That coach sounds clueless

  23. #48
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,846

    Default

    I don't really see the logic in this. First off, I think the college season will play as expected. Perhaps it gets delayed a little, but by March of next year I'd expect fans at the games and March Madness to happen. Secondly, the AAU coach says unknown about CBB playing but then goes on to say how unknown if GLeague will play...seems like a guy talking to hear himself. I see no reason on Holmgren either, he wouldn't even be going to school until August of 2021.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I don't really see the logic in this. First off, I think the college season will play as expected. Perhaps it gets delayed a little, but by March of next year I'd expect fans at the games and March Madness to happen. Secondly, the AAU coach says unknown about CBB playing but then goes on to say how unknown if GLeague will play...seems like a guy talking to hear himself. I see no reason on Holmgren either, he wouldn't even be going to school until August of 2021.
    Totally agree that this AAU coach is clueless - when insiders on this board referenced other people of Jalen’s circle making pro-route “noise” - even tho Jalen was committed to coming to GU, it’s not hard to figure out who those people are. I think every player should consider all their options and what’s best for them, but this coach’s reasoning makes so little sense for these particular players.

    Additionally, I gotta question the type of coaching these guys are receiving. His comments fall square in the AAU stereotype of ‘me only” ball. To say that Chet would be doing a favor to any college he went to is flat incorrect and honestly an attitude I don’t want in any player. The players who seem to gain the most and give the most at GU are those who buy into the family community.. if Chet’s or any other players attitude is like this coach (Not saying or have any info that it is), I’m not going to be sad if he goes elsewhere.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    404

    Default

    I appreciate Brian’s perspective.

    He and Larry have built an extremely impressive program, and with the level of talent they are working with, it is natural for them to instill business sense into their way of thinking.

    We may not agree with every quote, but the reality of the highest level players is their main priority is development in preparation for the NBA.

    The plus side is Gonzaga can develop a player in one year better than perhaps anyone. Not just other colleges, but any G league or overseas option as well.

    Let’s not forget that if it wasn’t for Larry and Brian’s business conversations, Jalen could have easily followed his heart to play football instead of playing basketball for Gonzaga. For that reason, I am thankful that Jalen has chosen to play and develop at Gonzaga before reaching his ultimate goal of achieving financial stability.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •