Thread: Best Zags by the Numbers - 51-54

Default Best Zags by the Numbers - 51-54

These numbers have not been worn much at all. If you can find a player in GU history that wore one of these numbers, they are probably the best to have worn that number.

I look forward to some of the results of archives research some of you will do.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Probably doesn’t count, but this 53 was worn for one game instead of his regular 24 as a tribute to Kobe Bryant

Cool image, anyhow

54 Gary Lechman

When the Big Sky Conference selected its silver anniversary basketball team in 1988, Gary Lechman was the only Gonzaga player recognized on the 25-year team and he was the senior man on the squad – all the other players chosen played after Lechman’s final college year of 1967. At that, Lechman, who played forward and center at just 6’3”, still ranked among the all-time leaders in career scoring average and rebounding. The Roseville, Calif., native was the first player ever named first team all-conference three times. As a junior, Lechman paced Gonzaga to a winning season that included a 10-game victory streak highlighted by his 37 points against Washington State. And as a senior, he averaged 23-plus points per game as Gonzaga had a 21-6 year. Finally, Lechman was chosen to the Helms Athletic Foundation All-American squad, and he became the first Gonzaga player ever chosen Academic All-American.
    Last edited by GU69; 04-26-2020 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added info from the Gonzaga Athletic Hall of Fame

That wasn't Corey's best game. I was glad when he switched back.

More about Lechman.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ball-to-leech/

He was a powerful force on the hardwood. His style of play was not Michael Jordan-esque – there are no photos of him making high-flying dunks – but more like DeAndre Jordan or Kevin Love, grinding it out game after game. He was a concrete retaining wall when blocking under the basket and had a high basketball IQ long before that term became part of the game’s vernacular. He also had a nose for the ball with an uncanny ability to anticipate which way it would bounce off the rim. That led to a lot of tip-ins and put-backs.
    A couple of points. Jorgensen was better than he says as I recall and Gary was closer to 6'5" than the 6'3" as stated. His play was more like that of JP Batista than any one I can think of.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Lechman in action against Jim McKean I think. McKean was 6'9" IIRC and pretty damn good in his own right.

Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.