Thread: Joel Ayayi declares for the draft without hiring an agent

Default Joel Ayayi declares for the draft without hiring an agent

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/stat...013380096?s=19

Gonzaga guard Joel Ayayi is declaring for the NBA Draft, but leaving open the option to return, per a source. Averaged 10.6 PPG, 6.3 RPG and 3.2 APG.

From Jim Meehan:

Ayayi pt. 1: "I am entering the NBA draft, but my number one option is still to return to Gonzaga. I love the coaches, the school and my teammates. There is still a lot of uncertainty with what might happen to next year’s NCAA season ..."

Ayayi pt. 2: "... so entering the draft gives me a little more time to evaluate that. I am not hiring an agent and will work directly with Coach Few and the GU coaching staff to make the best decision prior to the NCAA draft withdrawal date. Zag Up!"

Zags (not surprisingly) declare in a "classy" way. Kispert, the most senior, goes first. Followed by the two sophomores. None make it into some gigantic spectacle. All are clear about the ability to return. Non declare until within a few days of the deadline. Wouldn't expect anything less.

I think COVID-19 is more likely to impair the CBB season than the NBA season. I hope for the sake of these players that fringe guys don't return to CBB for a season that never materializes, if the NBA or foreign leagues find ways to have games.

I have a hard time believing we won't be playing in 6-7 months but that's just me trying to be positive. I think we will see the country slowly start transitioning to somewhat of a normalish flow by mid summer.
    America's Team!

Always pleased to see players gather good information before making a decision. Tougher part here: which leagues will be playing 2020–21?

It's a good choice for Joel. He's done such a nice job this past year. He'll help a lot if he develops consistency. Good needs to become consistently great....... Great up and down speed and very good size,

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I have a hard time believing we won't be playing in 6-7 months but that's just me trying to be positive. I think we will see the country slowly start transitioning to somewhat of a normalish flow by mid summer.
    Hopefully, but to be playing in 6-7 months we need students to be on college campuses in 4 months for fall semester. I think we'll be there, but if students arent back until spring semester in January, how do we have a basketball season?

BD...looking at the data, this viral thing is fading pretty fast..in terms of admissions, new cases, ventilator usage, ICU pts and deaths. I suspect this may be gone by September. Precautions will remain but the sickness will be infrequent unless the media continues to exaggerate the danger. I think we'll have school and a basketball schedule.
    There does remain a few pockets but the collection of data ( Pts and blood dx of COVID 19) continues . The confirmation of active disease is lightening and definitely has limitations. Just don't be over 70 AND have coexisting diseases ie, heart and lung diseases... this is 70% of cases.
    I want basketball and I want a title! We all do!

I don’t want to get into it with Abe (although I strongly disagree) but it seems to me that there is a good chance the teams could play this fall but without fans in the arena. By then, our testing capacity will easily be sufficient (at least) to test all the players and coaching staff and refs and tv crews (which will be needed to make the whole thing pencil even on a reduced basis). It will be a different viewing experience but could buy time in case it is needed.

Ayayi needs to tighten up his handle. Too lackadaisical and sloppy with the ball leading to way too many unforced turnovers. But, should be a nice player for us next year.

He seems to turn his focus on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I don’t want to get into it with Abe (although I strongly disagree) but it seems to me that there is a good chance the teams could play this fall but without fans in the arena. By then, our testing capacity will easily be sufficient (at least) to test all the players and coaching staff and refs and tv crews (which will be needed to make the whole thing pencil even on a reduced basis). It will be a different viewing experience but could buy time in case it is needed.
    The cow seems to be out of the barn this flu season, but it seems reasonable that for next year the identify-isolate-contact trace concept that the thought collective is so high on would be easy to implement for athletes at every level, and also college students.

I read recently that up to 100 persons in New York had been spreading the disease before they caught on. The same article also mentioned a "super spreader" who unwittingly and inexplicably gave it to more than his fair share of persons. If this could have been identified early-- and I think we could next time around-- things in this country could have been very different for everyone, it seems.

I have discussed the implications of antibody testing elsewhere ad nauseum, so I won't get into that here other than to say that it is very promising and something to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    - on a hopeful note, i.e. fans in the stands. i saw a report on t.v. this week about a company that is producing a 'temperature' detector. it is just like the 'metal' detectors used at the airports and at all sporting venues.
    - i'm going to keep an eye on this story, as the nfl and mlb and college football will flock to this idea if it can be shown they are using due diligence, i.e. allowing only those with no fever to be admitted.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - on a hopeful note, i.e. fans in the stands. i saw a report on t.v. this week about a company that is producing a 'temperature' detector. it is just like the 'metal' detectors used at the airports and at all sporting venues.
    - i'm going to keep an eye on this story, as the nfl and mlb and college football will flock to this idea if it can be shown they are using due diligence, i.e. allowing only those with no fever to be admitted.
    The good news for college basketball is fall sports will work out the kinks. I dont see college sports happening without fans though. If it's not safe to have fans how can they say it's safe to have the athletes traveling and playing. They're not professionals getting paid.

Never an issue testing the waters. Joel starting garnering more and more interest toward the end of the season. Fully expect to see him back as GU's starting off guard in 2020/21. Hopefully he will learn from NWG's experiences....as well as Zach Norvell.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    The good news for college basketball is fall sports will work out the kinks. I dont see college sports happening without fans though. If it's not safe to have fans how can they say it's safe to have the athletes traveling and playing. They're not professionals getting paid.
    Paid vs amateur isn't a relevant variable, both would be voluntary participation that players could refuse/stop at any point.

Crowd size and proximity to other humans who haven't been tested would be relevant. In both of those respects, teams of players would be far more likely than crowds of thousands of people off the street.