Thread: Filip Petrusev declares for the draft without hiring an agent

Default Filip Petrusev declares for the draft without hiring an agent

https://twitter.com/MattBabcock11/st...470965760?s=19

Gonzaga's Filip Petrušev will enter his name in the 2020 NBA Draft without hiring an agent, per sources.

Doesn't he know that he could avoid all the angst and just read the comments of fans here? They have been pointing out his weaknesses over and over.

But, to reiterate, if he could average a double double in points and rebounding, shooting 40%+ from 3 and 80%+ from the FT line while rebounding out of his zone, get 5-6 blocks per game and guard positions 1-5 consistently...he just might have a chance to get drafted in the NBA first round.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Doesn't he know that he could avoid all the angst and just read the comments of fans here? They have been pointing out his weaknesses over and over.
    Will, I enjoy this site, but would never base a major decision in my life on the postings. Doubt you would either.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Will, I enjoy this site, but would never base a major decision in my life on the postings. Doubt you would either.
    There appears to be a sar chasm.

I've heard he's planning on returning. I hope he does. Still a bit on the "wispy" side. I doubt he's an NBA center but a 4 might work. Needs strength and bulk that doesn't slow him down but enhances his skills. Good college player...……..if he, Corey, Joel return we're in sight of a title....more so if Suggs sticks with us and not the G League.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

But, to reiterate, if he could average a double double in points and rebounding, shooting 40%+ from 3 and 80%+ from the FT line while rebounding out of his zone, get 5-6 blocks per game and guard positions 1-5 consistently...he just might have a chance to get drafted in the NBA first round.
    If he does all those things then he will be a Lottery pick AND GU will be the undefeated 2021 NCAA Champions...
    Last edited by Bogozags; 04-25-2020 at 03:52 PM.

I rewatched the Maui Invitational victory over Duke (with Zion).

Petrusev more than held his own in that game. Completely outclassed the five star big man Marquez Bolden who was the player of the game the night before when Duke beat Auburn (Yes the eventual final four surprise Auburn) Add in the fact that Bolden couldn't/wouldn't extend defensively toward Tillie at the three point line, and coach K basically decided to just bench Bolden in the second half because Tillie and Petrusev were exploiting him so bad.

If I was composing a video to send to the pros, I would definitely include that Maui game against Duke. Considering the caliber of competition, it may have been Petrusev at his best.
    I miss Mike Hart

Petru will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I rewatched the Maui Invitational victory over Duke (with Zion).

Petrusev more than held his own in that game. Completely outclassed the five star big man Marquez Bolden who was the player of the game the night before when Duke beat Auburn (Yes the eventual final four surprise Auburn) Add in the fact that Bolden couldn't/wouldn't extend defensively toward Tillie at the three point line, and coach K basically decided to just bench Bolden in the second half because Tillie and Petrusev were exploiting him so bad.

If I was composing a video to send to the pros, I would definitely include that Maui game against Duke. Considering the caliber of competition, it may have been Petrusev at his best.
    With all the depth we have in the frontcourt, we will have more offensive flexibility like that 2019 team. Petrusev should get some more opportunities to play the high big like Tillie did this year.

Biggest advantage he'll have next year will be our depth. We had 3 forwards last year basically. If anyone got into foul trouble, we had to go small with Kispert at the 3. Next year, he can go hard on both ends of the floor. Play more aggressive d, go for more blocks etc. He was over aggressive on the offensive side last year and forced a lot of charges. I'd love to see him average 25 min of 100% effort on both ends of the floor, with Ballo getting the other 15.

I thought you were only allowed to “test the waters” once?
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    I thought you were only allowed to “test the waters” once?
    I think the rules changed so you can enter your name every year, as long as you withdraw your name by the deadline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NBA_draft
    NCAA players may now enter and withdraw from the draft up to two times without loss of eligibility. Previously, the NCAA treated a second declaration of draft eligibility as a permanent loss of college eligibility.

KREM interview from today with Filip Petrusev: https://twitter.com/KREMKarthik/stat...41088860286976

Brenna quote tweeted

"Filip says if he got a mid-second round grade he would probably come back to Gonzaga."

Quote Originally Posted by Zag1203 View Post
    KREM interview from today with Filip Petrusev: https://twitter.com/KREMKarthik/stat...41088860286976

Brenna quote tweeted

"Filip says if he got a mid-second round grade he would probably come back to Gonzaga."
    So you’re saying he’s coming back!

Smart move. No problem testing the waters. But he will get eaten alive in today's NBA with his poor defense - not only in the low block, but especially guarding the pick and roll.

I still say the key to the 2020/21 Zags will be the development of Anton Watson. I am telling you, some team in the elite 8 or F4 is going to take advantage of Filip (unless he improves). Watson's defensive versatility will come in handy.