Thread: On what planets is English spoken?

Default On what planets is English spoken?

I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy with my daughter and got to wondering about the fact that they seem to get by quite well with English. I am now intrigued about finding all the planets where English is spoken.

Xandar uses English I know.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default Tatooine

I think English is the primary language spoken on Tatooine.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Every one that the Enterprise visited.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Every one that the Enterprise visited.

I don’t believe so. They had a Universal Translator

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Did you ever notice everyone in Star Wars seems to be multi lingual? C3PO can interpret pretty much everything but they don't really seem to need him most of the time because they all seem to be able to understand no matter what weird language everyone else is speaking.

English along with a little bit of Chinese is spoken on the various planets that Serenity/Firefly takes place on. Except for the Reavers, who speak in unintelligible screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Did you ever notice everyone in Star Wars seems to be multi lingual? C3PO can interpret pretty much everything but they don't really seem to need him most of the time because they all seem to be able to understand no matter what weird language everyone else is speaking.
    Han Solo was definitely multilingual. He could understand Wookiee, whatever language Greedo spoke and Huttese (Jabba the Hutt).

Not many could speak Ewokese.

I also think I might be wrong on Tatooine. The Tusken Raiders don’t speak English.

Jawas don’t speak English either, but they aren’t native to Tatooine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 05-03-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Speaking from knowledge gained only from the planets I've visited... Earth.

But more importantly, doesn't this green-haired alien look like she could be Lady Gaga's mom?

My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    Speaking from knowledge gained only from the planets I've visited... Earth.

But more importantly, doesn't this green-haired alien look like she could be Lady Gaga's mom?

Are you saying Lady Gaga is the spawn of an alien and Captain Kirk?
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    That totally makes sense.

According to Douglas Adams, it doesn't matter what language is spoken on any given planet as long as you have a babelfish inserted into your ear.

English is spoken nowhere in the Star Wars galaxy. That language is known as Galactic Basic or Galactic Standard.

Galactic Basic,[1] also known as Basic,[2] or galactic standard,[3] was the name of the most prevalent language in the galaxy.[2] It was spoken by species including—but not limited to— humans[4] and Pantorans,[5] but not by Ewoks[4] and Talz.[5] The Gungans of Naboo spoke a heavily accented dialect of Basic, with many differences in grammar and vocabulary.[6] Diplodialect was a specific register of Basic used in the diplomatic circles of the Galactic Republic.[7]

Most stormtroopers, the elite soldiers of the Galactic Empire, could only speak and understand Basic, despite the commonness of other languages such as Huttese.[8] With vocal cords that were quite different from those of many other species, Wookiees and Ithorians were entirely unable to speak Basic, though they could learn to understand it.[9] Ithorians used translators to simulate speaking Basic.[10] Tasu Leech, leader of the Kanjiklub, was unwilling to speak Basic, which he dismissed as a "soft language for soft people."[11] Basic could be written in several forms, including Aurebesh, High Galactic,[12] and Outer Rim Basic.[13]

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic_Basic
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    According to Douglas Adams, it doesn't matter what language is spoken on any given planet as long as you have a babelfish inserted into your ear.

I might have to watch that again.

The books really are priceless.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I rather enjoyed that movie. Freeman turns in his usual solid performance... like every other thing he does. Great actor IMHO. Rockwell as the over the top Zaphod is great, and the late great Alan Rickman as Marvin was one of the greatest castings of all time
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I rather enjoyed that movie. Freeman turns in his usual solid performance... like every other thing he does. Great actor IMHO. Rockwell as the over the top Zaphod is great, and the late great Alan Rickman as Marvin was one of the greatest castings of all time
    Plus Zooey Deschanel and small parts by John Malkovich, Bill Nighy and Helen Mirren. Just a great cast all around.

As with everything on the internet these days, it's already a thing. I just googled "Lady Gaga Captain Kirk" and there's a bunch of memes for it.

My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    As with everything on the internet these days, it's already a thing. I just googled "Lady Gaga Captain Kirk" and there's a bunch of memes for it.

I came up with it independently so I'm claiming it!
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time