Thread: Time for Louise Forsyth to Get Her Minutes

Default Time for Louise Forsyth to Get Her Minutes

From The Slipper Still Fits:

Time for Louise Forsyth to Get Her Minutes
    The Canadian shooter has one more season at Gonzaga.
    By Peter Woodburn@wernies
    Apr 24, 2020, 9:00am PDT

Louise Forsyth once arrived at Gonzaga as a sharpshooting top 50 recruit out of Canada. That now seems like such a long time ago. After losing much of her freshman year to a stress fracture, Forsyth has struggled to carve out a spot in the rotation throughout her time at Gonzaga. Next season, her senior year, gives her one last chance.

With the arrival of the Truong twins in the backcourt, Forsyth received spot minutes in her junior year campaign, averaging 13 minutes per game and scoring 3.5 points. Unfortunately, Forsyth’s shooting numbers took a nose dive this season. She shot just 36.3 percent from the floor and 36 percent from long range.

Forsyth is a talented three point shooter. Despite the limited minutes, she attempted the third-most threes on the team, behind Jill Townsend and Katie Campbell. With Campbell graduating, the Zags need another dangerous three point option behind Townsend to step up, and next season, the minutes might be there, just not at the guard spot.

Head coach Lisa Fortier funneled the Truong twins into the backcourt of a majority of their minutes. With Vanderbilt transfer Cierra Walker ready to suit up for her senior year and highly-decorated recruit McKayla Williams entering the fold, Forsyth might find a majority of her minutes backing up Townsend on the wing.

Where ever she ends up in the lineup, Forsyth has to discover that shooting magic she displayed her sophomore year, when she hit 46.9 percent of her long-range shots. The Zags biggest need next season is another consistent three-point threat alongside Townsend. Forsyth displayed that talent earlier in her career, hopefully she can find it again.
    I agree that it is highly unlikely that LF will spend very much time at #1 or #2 guard. CLF likes to have at least two (2) point guards on the court at all times and LF simply does not handle the ball well enough to play serious minutes at the #1 or #2 not only because of the guards Peter mentioned above but also considering the incoming Aussie point guard as well. LF's defense improved significantly this year but as noted above her shooting fell off significantly. If she can get her shooting back up to her sophomore levels along with the improved defense she will get minutes at the #3. If her shooting does not improve, look for KG to finally get on the court as well as incoming freshman Yvonne Ejim to take up those minutes.

ZagDad

Another significant factor could be whose defensive game rises to the challenge. If there are similar offensive numbers CLF might go with the defensive edge. I would love to see LF have a break out senior year.

I want her to start....last season was the first season she was given significant minutes...she can tend to rush her shots but give her some backing, coach, and she'll be hitting them.....she is not afraid to mix it up in the middle....

she's put in her time....and its her time to shine....

go get'em Lou!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I want her to start....last season was the first season she was given significant minutes...she can tend to rush her shots but give her some backing, coach, and she'll be hitting them.....she is not afraid to mix it up in the middle....

she's put in her time....and its her time to shine....

go get'em Lou!
    If you want her to start, who are you going to start her over?

LF certainly is not a point, so she won't start over K11. She does not handle the ball very well, so I can't see her starting over CW (another senior) at the #2. JT is not going to ride the pine and LF is absolutely not going to replace JW or LW in the starting lineup.

IMO, the only possible place for LF to start would be in place of CW at the #2 and honestly, the team on the court would not be better with LF (in lieu of CW) at the #2.

ZagDad

I think LF will see her time at the #3.... even though there are some other wings that will need time. I also think we have some frosh noted as wings that may see some time at the #2 because of their ball handling.
    I agree that with the number of PGs, that they will be filling the #1 and #2 positions. But again with the number of players... whoever is playing the best, will get the minutes.

I would think the coaching staff sent the players home with a list of things to be working on... to make them better. So if LF wants more senior playing time... improvements needed.

Go Zags!!

Would love to see LF get more court time, she has never got enough min. to feel comfortable. Many players can excel if they fit into the style being played, great coaches fit the style to the players.
    I think in the right situation she can be a very good player and hope this happens for her.
    A car dealer with 500 employees said that he never had a poor worker, just workers who weren't properly trained, properly placed, or properly motivated. This also applies to sports, hope LF get put into a situation where she can excel.

This is a great quote.

And when it comes to LF we have all heard how hard she works. The question is are the people playing more minutes then her just more talented?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great quote by KD. Thanks Bigfooot.

I think that most players will show improvement the more time the get on the court. For example, "Z" showed tremendous improvement when she cracked the starting line-up and started playing 20+ minutes a game. The issue is always, if there is a player playing better than another, to maintain team morale and to have the best chance to win the game, the person playing better has to get more minutes, which unfortunately means somebody else (or several people) will end up riding the pine.

CLF has done a great job in recent years about giving more minutes to the players that are playing the best, whether that player is a starter or not. With 15 players on next year's team, playing time (PT) is going to be hard to come by for many of the players. Whether a player is a senior or not, put in her time in the program, etc. CLF has an obligation to 1) win the game, 2) maintain team chemistry and 3) prepare for the future.

ZagDad