Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Petrusev go pro? A nice breakdown brought together by Brenna Greene

I found this article from Jeff Goodman on Stadium.com and thought all of you would be interested how it relates to Petrusev, Kispert, and Ayayi. Please go to the article to see all of the potential players. I have not listed them because i thought it was too cumbersome. Please go to the website for all of the players.

He spoke to a handful of NBA executives about whether each player should stay in the draft or return to school.

CATEGORY - THE NBA IS INTRIGUED, BUT IT IS WISE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL
    Corey Kispert, 6-7, 220, SF, Jr., Gonzaga | “I’m not sure his stock changes at all. He’s a good player with size who can shoot it and is deceptive athletically. He should go back, but I think there’s a chance he could get drafted.” – NBA executive

CATEGORY - UNANIMOUS - GO BACK TO SCHOOL!
    Filip Petrusev, 6-11, 235, PF, So., Gonzaga | “His game doesn’t translate. He plays hard, finishes around the rim. But he needs to be able to show he can step out and be a four-man. He needs to go back 100 percent.” – NBA executive

CATEGORY - WILL GO UNDRAFTED AND SHOULD ABSOLUTELY RETURN TO SCHOOL
    Joel Ayayi, 6-5, 180, G, RS So., Gonzaga

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    I found this article from Jeff Goodman on Stadium.com and thought all of you would be interested how it relates to Petrusev, Kispert, and Ayayi. Please go to the article to see all of the potential players. I have not listed them because i thought it was too cumbersome. Please go to the website for all of the players.

He spoke to a handful of NBA executives about whether each player should stay in the draft or return to school.

CATEGORY - THE NBA IS INTRIGUED, BUT IT IS WISE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL
    Corey Kispert, 6-7, 220, SF, Jr., Gonzaga | “I’m not sure his stock changes at all. He’s a good player with size who can shoot it and is deceptive athletically. He should go back, but I think there’s a chance he could get drafted.” – NBA executive

CATEGORY - UNANIMOUS - GO BACK TO SCHOOL!
    Filip Petrusev, 6-11, 235, PF, So., Gonzaga | “His game doesn’t translate. He plays hard, finishes around the rim. But he needs to be able to show he can step out and be a four-man. He needs to go back 100 percent.” – NBA executive

CATEGORY - WILL GO UNDRAFTED AND SHOULD ABSOLUTELY RETURN TO SCHOOL
    Joel Ayayi, 6-5, 180, G, RS So., Gonzaga
    I'm kind of surprised that Ayayi is not viewed that favorably by teams. He plays really intelligently and is young compared to most 3rd year players. Normally, a player like him would be gaining a lot of traction right now. Believe it or not, he is younger than Duke freshman Cassius Stanley.

wow, nice find! Im actually surprised that they put in print what a few of us have the stomach to say about Petrusev. And its not a knock on him, but good to great college players do not equal NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag1203 View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that Ayayi is not viewed that favorably by teams. He plays really intelligently and is young compared to most 3rd year players. Normally, a player like him would be gaining a lot of traction right now. Believe it or not, he is younger than Duke freshman Cassius Stanley.
    Joel is young enough that he may have had a bad showing that day too, gotta keep that in mind (if this is based on draft evals in person and not just watching game film)

https://watchstadium.com/stay-or-go-...ts-04-29-2020/

What a terrific article, cant say enough about the work Jeff Goodman did on this one.

I think most GU fans know what they are looking at. Petrusev is an outstanding college player, nothing wrong with that. But to make the NBA is such a big jump.
    the problem for Petrusev and other bubble guys is that its so hard to show what the status of your weaknesses are without workouts. Conceivably Filip COULD have a nice outside game, he's shown flashes of it, but for GU to win him dominating inside is the way to go. In a regular draft year, could Filip have taken the 2 months of workouts to prove that?

Im kind of surprised. It look like we should have the big 3 back. Might be that we have some great college guys but not so much pro material at least for now. Good and bad. All of em need more D1 time and some coaching so they might get to the league.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Im kind of surprised. It look like we should have the big 3 back. Might be that we have some great college guys but not so much pro material at least for now. Good and bad. All of em need more D1 time and some coaching so they might get to the league.
    Filip needs more than coaching. I feel he just doesn't have the athleticism to compete in the NBA. I think he's a great college basketball player and glad he's a Zag!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Big guys take longer to develop physically and coordination wise. After the Hugh, huge jump he made from last year, I expect another jump this year. It may be in the pros or here, but a jump he will make. also with have gained needed skills he will be able to devote more time to outside shooting
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

I don't see Petrusev making the league. He needs to improve his shooting and defense. I don't see him fixing his defensive issues. He is a fine enough athlete for the NBA level and actually is a plus athlete in terms of moving laterally and sprinting wise, but his defensive awareness is so poor. Most scouts don't buy the argument of he can really do X, but the college coach wouldn't let him. It's clear at this point Petrusev can't really shoot.

I have been hard on him but I think that it is possible for him to improve his shooting and defense— if he puts his mind to it and gets the right help. Gary Bell Jr would be a great resource for both of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I don't see Petrusev making the league. He needs to improve his shooting and defense. I don't see him fixing his defensive issues. He is a fine enough athlete for the NBA level and actually is a plus athlete in terms of moving laterally and sprinting wise, but his defensive awareness is so poor. Most scouts don't buy the argument of he can really do X, but the college coach wouldn't let him. It's clear at this point Petrusev can't really shoot.
    totally agree on the defensive side. that's usually the first thing a college big showcases. Shooting wise he was knocking down outside shots as a freshman so I might say its still there to develop and use but his D is what keeps him from having a full game.

perhaps this is the hoop fans equivalent of "get off my lawn" but i really miss the days when a big could make the NBA without having an outside shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    perhaps this is the hoop fans equivalent of "get off my lawn" but i really miss the days when a big could make the NBA without having an outside shot.
    I think if Petrusev was thought of as a dominant 5 man he would still make the league. Even today's NBA wouldn't have passed on a guy like Shaq because he couldn't shoot a three pointer.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

I'm sure Petrusev is a respectable 3 point shooter, we saw it his Freshman year. You gotta think Few asked him NOT to shoot the 3 because of all the absolute snipers we already had on the team last year at literally every other position.

Kispert - daggers off the dribble or catch and shoot
    Ayayi - dripping wet J, especially in crunch time
    Woolridge - set the nets on fire, dude was 43% for the year
    Tillie - walking swish machine from 3, unblockable at his height

We needed a big who was going to mix it up down low, rebound and get put-backs. Especially if Tillie was out on the perimeter.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

I think they can, but you generally have to be an elite rim protector and/or pick and roll finisher to do so. The C/PF roles are very different in modern NBA offenses, and you either need the hyper-athleticism to block shots and make a high percentage of interior layups/dunks or be able to hit outside shots so that you don't clog the lane for those who can.

That said, and to somewhat negate my own point, Sabonis just made an all star game by being an elite passer, rebounder, and shooting a high percentage. His motor and basketball IQ are both off the charts, and if Petrsusev can improve the former, he could certainly carve out a roll. He is obviously very talented and like most Gonzaga players has shown a willingness to play his role for the benefit of the team.

I agree. Back in the day the conventional wisdom was that shots closer in are more likely to produce points because they are higher percentage shots. Now it’s that 3 pointers allow you to shoot a lower percentage. I still think that teams die by the 3 in the playoffs if they aren’t making them. Golden State made it work because they have excellent ball movement and got high percentage shots all over the court. I don’t see other teams replicating their type of success because they had a lot of selfless superstars. I would still take Tim Duncan or Shaq over James Harden.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Big guys take longer to develop physically and coordination wise. After the Hugh, huge jump he made from last year, I expect another jump this year. It may be in the pros or here, but a jump he will make. also with have gained needed skills he will be able to devote more time to outside shooting
    I'm worried that we won't see the normal jump we would see from players. Our guys usually spend a lot of time with their national teams, but that isn't likely to happen this year. It's a huge advantage for us normally, but we have to be ready to not have it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    I'm worried that we won't see the normal jump we would see from players. Our guys usually spend a lot of time with their national teams, but that isn't likely to happen this year. It's a huge advantage for us normally, but we have to be ready to not have it this year.
    Respectfully disagree on the national teams being a good thing. Summer is time to really focus in on the individual training, fixing deficiencies, improving strength and really dissecting your game to address deficiencies as well as build the team chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Respectfully disagree on the national teams being a good thing. Summer is time to really focus in on the individual training, fixing deficiencies, improving strength and really dissecting your game to address deficiencies as well as build the team chemistry
    I attributed Joel Ayayi's quantum leap in confidence and production to his experience playing with his national team. I can see how it could be argued that it had nothing to do with it. I think it would be impossible to prove, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I attributed Joel Ayayi's quantum leap in confidence and production to his experience playing with his national team. I can see how it could be argued that it had nothing to do with it. I think it would be impossible to prove, either way.
    No that’s a good point about Joel.

I think that the lost summer of scrimmages locally, especially for the new players, and the lost summer school sessions will hurt, a lot.

Playing against current team members, and returning alumni (especially those that are or were in the NBA), helped a bunch.
    It's not funny.