• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

Best Zags by the Numbers - 36

36!?

There is somebody out there who has worn this number. Who is it?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

There shouldn't be unless it was way back in time.
    The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, and 55. Team rosters can include 0 or 00, but not both.
    Edit:

On a hunch I checked and sure enough that number was worn by Jerry Vermillion and that was way back. Can we just end the discussion now, there is no one even close to Jerry.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• GU69
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

From the Gonzaga Athletic Hall of Fame:

After Vermillion completed four outstanding varsity seasons at Gonzaga, a local sports columnist described him as “one of the smartest, toughest reboundingest basketballers the Zags ever had.” Vermillion demonstrated his toughness early in life by overcoming a major back injury suffered in a riding accident. Unable to play high school basketball until his senior year, he led Fort Benton to the Montana State Tournament championship game. In 1951, he enrolled at Gonzaga in time to help coach Hank Anderson register 19 wins in his first year. Hank was appreciative. “He carried the load in my first four seasons. Jerry’s right up there among the best players in my 21 years at Gonzaga.” Before he graduated, the lanky Vermillion held virtually every individual record for scoring and rebounding. Nearly 40 years later Vermillion was still among Gonzaga’s all-time scorers with 1,547 points and remained first in rebounds with an all-but-unmatchable 1,670.

Comment

• zagbeliever
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Jan 2013

Jerry Vermillion=legend

Comment

• ZagNative
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Story in The Spokesman-Review about Vermillion: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...lion-passes-a/

Comment

• kitzbuel
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
            Story in The Spokesman-Review about Vermillion: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...lion-passes-a/

Nice. ZN finds a pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

always looked at that other jersey along with John Stockton ..... for all to see,
              this thread, small though it is, has tripled my knowledge of Vermillion, isn't it an odd combination of top scorer AND rebounder? especially if you are not talking about a big man in the middle?
              edit to add:
              well i am caught again in the snare that plagues almost everyone who makes too many assumptions.
              6'4" I knew, but assumed he was a wing
              He played Center.
              OMG, our guards recently have been averaging 6'4" and he was a Center!
              have American men really grown that much in these decades?
              I had a colleague down the hall who player Center for WSU for two years, and he was 6ft 5" , and
              i know the center at Whitworth college in mid sixties was 6'5"
              Previously I had been super impressed that vermillion had the scoring record when all shots were worth 2 pts, with no 3 pt line yet.
              Now I am impressed by a little less, as a Center I assume most of his scoring took place in the paint.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                always looked at that other jersey along with John Stockton ..... for all to see,
                this thread, small though it is, has tripled my knowledge of Vermillion, isn't it an odd combination of top scorer AND rebounder? especially if you are not talking about a big man in the middle?
                edit to add:
                well i am caught again in the snare that plagues almost everyone who makes too many assumptions.
                6'4" I knew, but assumed he was a wing
                He played Center.
                OMG, our guards recently have been averaging 6'4" and he was a Center!
                have American men really grown that much in these decades?
                I had a colleague down the hall who player Center for WSU for two years, and he was 6ft 5" , and
                i know the center at Whitworth college in mid sixties was 6'5"
                Previously I had been super impressed that vermillion had the scoring record when all shots were worth 2 pts, with no 3 pt line yet.
                Now I am impressed by a little less, as a Center I assume most of his scoring took place in the paint.
                GU's all-time leading rebounder by almost 700 rebounds over Elias Harris. Currently 13th in points between Perkins and Calvary. I believe Burgess is the other retired jersey though.

Comment

• SunDevilGolfZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Burgess is no 44

Comment

• bdmiller7
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2017

Yep, ZGZ was talking about the other jersey next to Stockton's and Jerry Vermillion at the same time and I thought he might be thinking Vermillion's was retired. Vermillion has great numbers but not a number in the rafters, although the way the rules are now nobody will ever where his 36 again anyway.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

you are right, i did get vermillion and burgess confused
                      I suppose there are still some colleges with Centers that are 6ft 5,
                      but I wouldn't expect many, and they would probably teams listed
                      as GGGFF or GGFFF positions rather than the classic GGFFC designation.

Comment

• GU69
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

He may have played at center, but he wasn't the tallest on the team:

Comment

Working...
                        X