Thread: Dan Wetzel Column on NCAA-NBA

Default Dan Wetzel Column on NCAA-NBA

I thought this was a smart, well-done article. I like the hockey draft rule they site in the article.

How college hoops leaders can save face and fix talent woes with one rule change

The easiest fix: Change NCAA basketball rules concerning the NBA draft to mirror the NCAA hockey rules concerning the NHL draft.

Basketball currently requires underclassmen to first declare they are entering the draft (because that’s what the NBA wants). They then have until 10 days after the draft combine to say they are remaining in the draft (because that’s what the NBA wants). If they stay in, then they are banned from college basketball (which provides the NBA with all the leverage).

In college hockey, or nearly any other NCAA sport, the rule is different. No hockey player has to declare for the draft. As such, no one has to pull themselves out of the draft. Even if a player is selected by an NHL team, they aren’t banished from college hockey.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    I thought this was a smart, well-done article. I like the hockey draft rule they site in the article.

How college hoops leaders can save face and fix talent woes with one rule change
    This is an obvious, easy fix. College hockey players are also allowed to attend NHL camps, including pre-season training camp, but on their own dime. So they become part of the organization the moment they are drafted, which helps with development, even if they return to college for the season. I would allow the NHL team or NBA team to pay reasonable costs for the player to attend camp as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    This is an obvious, easy fix. College hockey players are also allowed to attend NHL camps, including pre-season training camp, but on their own dime. So they become part of the organization the moment they are drafted, which helps with development, even if they return to college for the season. I would allow the NHL team or NBA team to pay reasonable costs for the player to attend camp as well.
    I've long been an advocate for this system. It just makes too much sense. My suspicion regarding the most recent g league development is that this a play by the NBA to force the NCAA's hand.

The NCAA & the NBA need to get together, put their big boy pants on and come to a reasonable agreement that benefits both sides.