Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - WNBA Draft occurs Today

Default OT - WNBA Draft occurs Today

For those who are interested in Wbb outside of the Lady Zags, the WNBA is holding their college draft today.

The draft is televised beginning at 4:00 PM Pacific time on ESPN.

Here is a link to ESPN's rundown on each of the WNBA's teams and the needs to be addressed in the draft.

ESPN Link: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...ng-draft-night

ZagDad

Sylean better not watch the draft. 3 Oregon Ducks are going to be taken very high in the first round.

Yeah, you got that right.

Sabrina at #1, Sabally at #2 and Hebard at #8.

Not too many surprises. Having the Princeton forward, Bella Alarie (6'4") taken at #5 was maybe a surprising as she is only the third Ivy Leaguer ever drafted and the third 1st round drafted father-daughter combination. Way to rep the mid-majors.

Also maybe a little surprising was Mikiah Herbert Harrigan -- South Carolina -- 6-2, Senior, Forward being taken at #6 which seemed to be a little earlier than projections indicated.

ZagDad

Interesting to see that Pivec from Oregon State did not get drafted until #25.

ZagDad

could care less...wnba not my cup of tea, and I'm pretty sure that not too many Lady zag fans care either , except on the occasion to catch Sloot..... the wnba is not popular sadly..

.I'm glad for the Oregon ducks....first all those national championships and now onto the wnba....wohoo.....lol....

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Interesting to see that Pivec from Oregon State did not get drafted until #25.

ZagDad
    Yeah, not many 3rd round picks stick.

Pretty surprised Beatrice Mompremier from Miami dropped to #20.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    ...wnba not my cup of tea, and I'm pretty sure that not too many Lady zag fans care either...
    Yet here you are.

How, exactly do you determine what Lady Zag fans care about and what they don't care about?

It can't be by their posting habits, because, the vast majority readers on this board simply do not care to talk about anything WBB (Lady Zags or any other Wbb topic). Check the number of posts on each topic on the entire first page. The highest number of posts is 6 no matter how many views it gets (excluding zagineer's roster post and that thread still only has a 0.2% response rate).

The reality is, the people trying to lead discussion on this board have been trying for years to find any topic to spark some interest, and no matter how many logs we toss on the fire, it gets little or way to often absolutely no response, except for the grammar police, the spell checkers or the drive by, want-a-bee moderators complaining about the posting of articles.

This board is essentially one way traffic. Those that post topics and those that simply consume the information and refuse to post.

You might as well shut the board down until October, because attempts at discussion her are futile.

Go back to your hibernation and I will try not to disturb you often until October.

ZagDad

Congrats to Coach Graves awesome job, three picks from the Ducks in the first round. Think the Sky were lucky to have Ruthy Hebard fall to pick 8 where they got her. Hebard and Sloot should make a good combo.

Congrats to Sabrina Ionescu on being the #1 pick in the WNBA, am sure she will make waves in the WNBA.

Here's a link to a Sporting News article that lists all 36 picks.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/bask...31tq5zh0svxhx8

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Congrats to Coach Graves awesome job, three picks from the Ducks in the first round. Think the Sky were lucky to have Ruthy Hebard fall to pick 8 where they got her. Hebard and Sloot should make a good combo.

Congrats to Sabrina Ionescu on being the #1 pick in the WNBA, am sure she will make waves in the WNBA.
    Ionescu just signed a Nike contract and will have her own shoe. She is now a multi millionaire.

it really says something when you have 3 picks in the top 8 but its stunning that there were no national championships, seriously.....what does that say?....(this year the exception because the season did not finish)....if this was Uconn or Tenn people would be asking....

What it says is that the ability of Kelley and his staff to assess, recruit and develop talent from the advantageous platform that is Oregon is currently head and shoulders above the competition. But this wealth of talent is not what Oregon has enjoyed every year -- rather, it is the culmination of years of improved efforts. It seems a bit unfair to me for you to use the wealth of talent Oregon had this past season to critique Oregon's won/loss record in prior years. Most observers believed the only opponent that 2019-2020 Oregon could not beat in March was COVID19.

If your point is to suggest that Kelly is not the greatest in-game coach -- well, that may be, but his record to date at GU and Oregon suggests he's not chopped liver, either.

A parallel situation to your apparent point exists in MBB, where Coach Calipari at Kentucky has experienced similar success in passing players on to the NBA (oftentimes one & done players), but he has not translated that into the kind of consistent playoff success Gonzaga"s MBB team has had over the past 10, and to a lesser extent, 20 years. The knock on Calipari has been that he lacks superior in-game coaching skills, and often recruits based more upon individual talent, and less upon whether or not the player is a team-oriented individual. Yet despite those circumstances, even Calipari's most devout critics would probably agree that when Calipari finally stops pulling down his eye-popping total compensation package, he will be a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. As you phrase things, some of the UK "people might be asking ... ," but they are still paying Coach the BIG bucks, filling the fieldhouse (at least pre-COVID19), and cheering like crazy.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Default Graves

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    What it says is that the ability of Kelley and his staff to assess, recruit and develop talent from the advantageous platform that is Oregon is currently head and shoulders above the competition. But this wealth of talent is not what Oregon has enjoyed every year -- rather, it is the culmination of years of improved efforts. It seems a bit unfair to me for you to use the wealth of talent Oregon had this past season to critique Oregon's won/loss record in prior years. Most observers believed the only opponent that 2019-2020 Oregon could not beat in March was COVID19.

If your point is to suggest that Kelly is not the greatest in-game coach -- well, that may be, but his record to date at GU and Oregon suggests he's not chopped liver, either.

A parallel situation to your apparent point exists in MBB, where Coach Calipari at Kentucky has experienced similar success in passing players on to the NBA (oftentimes one & done players), but he has not translated that into the kind of consistent playoff success Gonzaga"s MBB team has had over the past 10, and to a lesser extent, 20 years. The knock on Calipari has been that he lacks superior in-game coaching skills, and often recruits based more upon individual talent, and less upon whether or not the player is a team-oriented individual. Yet despite those circumstances, even Calipari's most devout critics would probably agree that when Calipari finally stops pulling down his eye-popping total compensation package, he will be a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. As you phrase things, some of the UK "people might be asking ... ," but they are still paying Coach the BIG bucks, filling the fieldhouse (at least pre-COVID19), and cheering like crazy.
    Graves is a great coach. 3 draft picks amongst first 8 picks goes to show that he developed his players. He had a helluva year with one of the best players in NCAA history. Ionescu can play, er no?

If you watch Sabrina interviewed, she credits KG with her development. I hate when people take shots at Kelly. He built our program from the ground up. We were nothing until he came to Spokane. Let’s not forget this. Again, once a zag, always a zag.

Well UConn hasn't won a Championship for 4 years, and probably have at least 2 first rounders most years, so...

I have a feeling sylean's saltiness over Graves leaving is never going to abate.

Also Notre Dame had 3 first round picks and 2 in the second round in the '19 draft and didn't win a Championship. They had 5 players picked in the top 19. Sylean care to comment about that? That's way more egregious than Graves' "failure."

edit--of course ND did win the Championship the year before. I'll note that before someone beats me to it. But that was with Brianna Turner out injured. Defending champs, returned most of their roster including 4 starters, and added a player of Turner's caliber, they should've waltzed to another title. They almost won, but Baylor was whooping them until Lauren Cox got injured, so the final score needs to be considered with a large grain of salt.
    Last edited by seacatfan; 04-19-2020 at 01:15 PM.

I’m not sure if once a Zag always a Zag... I’m not sure everyone in the Zag family believes that in Kelly. I really like KG but he put the O above GU when he left... and while we all have fond memories of what he did for GU, his decision to leave for the “big time” is what it is and left some of the administration upset. And I don’t blame them. They did what he asked and still left.

Question...loosing who he did to the WNBA... did he leave anyone to carry on? Guess we will see. ND lost a bunch to the draft and I haven’t see them around for a while... will we see that at the O?

I like that GU doesn’t have the super star... love team play and good coaching. Seeing players grow from year to year and a program that is good year after year is fine with me.

Go Zags!!

So Sylean,

Your goals for the Lady Zag Wbb is to win the WCC Championship, the WCC Tourney, host the 1st and 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. Great goals that I think most Lady Zag fans would think that would constitute a very successful season.

But, then you base your evaluation of KG and UO on the number of national championships he has won. Maybe just a wee bit hypocritical don't you think? Why do you hold one programs goals for success so much differently than anothers?

We do know a few things about KG:

- He has turned around both Gonzaga and Oregon from mid-pack and bottom dwellers to teams competing for conference championships, conference tournament championships and NCAA tournament bids.
    - He has lead the Lady Zags and Ducks to the farthest they have proceeded in the NCAA tournament.
    - Attendance at the Lady Zag and Oregon Wbb home games expanded dramatically under his tenure.
    - The only Lady Zag to stick in the WNBA (the best Wbb league in the world) was developed under his watch.

This is in no way, shape or form a comparison to CLF. Anytime you go from a coach, who could end up being a hall of fame coach, to a new coach (especially one without any head coaching experience) and have the team not lose a step, is a very big accomplishment and CLF deserves most of the credit for this transition.

If you go to the Kentucky Mbb board, there are many on that board that feel at their team much like Sylean does about KG and the Ducks. A season where you get to the elite eight appearance is a bad year, final four just an average season that was expected of you. They play for national championships and yet, in the last 20 years with the hoards of 5-star recruits the great John Calapari has brought home exactly of one (1) national championship. How about the embattled Bill Self at Kansas? Yep he to has brought home just one national championship in the last 20 years. Personally, I don't care what happened more than 20 years ago. That is like comparing teams to the John Wooden UCLA teams of the 60's and 70's. Different games, different coaches. When the banners begin falling from the rafters from old age, maybe your "blue blood" image should be reevaluated.

Mark Few has a great view of the NCAA tournament. You have to have a great team, you have to have team chemistry, you have to have decent seeding in good locations and you have to get a little "Luck". Sometimes you get bad match-ups, others you run into a team that gets really, really hot (St. Mary's on the WBB side this year, Davidson, Wyoming and others against the Zag Mbb) and some times you just don't play well. Even if you have the best "team" in the NCAA, when it comes down to a single game playoff with single elimination and you cannot have a bad game, anything can happen. National championships just don't grow on trees, and IMO it is so lame to judge a coach's career based solely on the number of national championships he (or she) has won.

KG has had a great run with Sabrina, Ruthy, Sabally and so on. The challenge will be can he maintain or elevate the Duck program from were it is today. He did so with the Lady Zags, after CV, Bowman, Redmon, Standish left, now he will need to (and be expected to) do it at Oregon after this exodus of players.

I would not count KG out just yet.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 04-19-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Question...loosing who he did to the WNBA... did he leave anyone to carry on? Guess we will see. ND lost a bunch to the draft and I haven’t see them around for a while... will we see that at the O?
    Well, if my memory serves correctly, I think he has a transfer or two coming in plus he has five (5), 5-star recruits (all ranked in the top-22 by Hoopgurlz Recruiting Ratings). Not to shabby, but we will see if he can get the team to gel next year.

Kind of harsh on ND don't you think. Yes this year was terrible, but they played in last years NCAA championship game and won the championship the year before, so it really has not been "a while" since we have heard from ND.

ZagDad

ZD... Nothing against ND. Just trying to make a point. There are years when you have a team that has star players that are hard to replace. Playing the minutes they played, Like ND, KG may need a year to get the fives to leadership level... just saying. Being able to play 8-10 players ample minutes keeps the tank full year after year. The super stars need the minutes but may not allow for the growth of other players. Hopefully KG has some leaders in the shadows.
    I’m concerned for CLF after next year with loosing Six seniors... time will tell.

Go Zags!!

Didn't Dan Monson leave for the "big time?"
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

ZD... Nothing against ND. Just trying to make a point. There are years when you have a team that has star players that are hard to replace. Playing the minutes they played, Like ND, KG may need a year to get the fives to leadership level... just saying. Being able to play 8-10 players ample minutes keeps the tank full year after year. The super stars need the minutes but may not allow for the growth of other players. Hopefully KG has some leaders in the shadows.
    I’m concerned for CLF after next year with loosing Six seniors... time will tell.

Go Zags!!
    No disagreement with anything you said.

I have no love lost for ND.

You spend all year busting my tail on my use of adjectives in my write-ups and that is my issue with your "point".

I just have a different opinion of what the term "in a while" means. With your statement above, since ND was in the NCAA championship last year, it obviously means to you something less than a year (or about a year) or one season in Wbb terms. To me, "in a while" would mean a sufficient period of time that would show a pattern of a drop-off in performance. To me, one bad year, (much like the year CLF had in 2015-2016, 19-14) can easily be written off to any number of reasons (lack of team chemistry/leadership, injuries, etc.) and is not indicative of any sort of pattern.

The use of "in a while" would definitely apply to teams like Tennessee, Texas, UNC, etc. but maybe not so much to ND, at least today. Another year or two like this year, then sure.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Didn't Dan Monson leave for the "big time?"
    Minnesota

ZagDad

Been in lock down “for a while”?

Been in lock down “for a while”?
    Not so much. I always work from home.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Minnesota

ZagDad
    Thanks ZD. I'm aware he went to Minnesota. I used the "" to allude to KG's move to Oregon & some people's problem with that. What's the difference?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.