Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggs - It's Official

I saw on ESPN today, the NFL is planning a scenario of playing the entire season without fans. I would guess that would be the same for NCAA Football. If that is the case, we should see NCAA Basketball next season too. I hope ESPN is wrong on this and we can have fans at the games. (If it is safe.)

Sure hope negative Nancy’s are wrong and we have 2020-21 season to enjoy Suggs especially if he’s one and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    http://www.krem.com/amp/article/spor...3-60cfa1030a13

Great interview with Jalen Suggs by Brenna Greene.

Soooo pumped to see Jalen in a Zag uniform next year and forever.

Also glad he connects with his fans on Twitter and Instagram rather than listening to some of the stuff I’ve been reading on here. 95% of Zag fans have nothing but joy to share with him. The cranky 5% seem to come here to try and take some of the spotlight away from an absolute marvel of an athlete who deserves every bit of hype and hope and excitement surrounding him that he gets and accepts and takes on as a challenge.

Few likes warriors, not victims. Gotta love that he wants the target on our back and the #1 ranking. That’s the attitude that will take us to our first championship. Not this “little old Gonzaga with small enrollment and why even bother trying to recruit against the big boys ah schucks I just like watching the kids grow into nice young men” bit some of you trot out.

Suggs is ultra competitive and is exactly the type of leader that goes perfectly with Coach Few. He’s exactly what we need. Gonzaga has evolved into our wildest dreams. Wake up and enjoy it or go back to sleep.
    Warrior yep cant wait
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Sure hope negative Nancy’s are wrong and we have 2020-21 season to enjoy Suggs especially if he’s one and done.
    Are people actually saying that or are they just worried that there might not be a season?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Not negative but just pragmatic...if the virus isn't under control then the season happening will be in question that is just fact.

By the way, there are two one-and-dones on next year's squad: Ballo and Suggs...I feel confident that Ballo will dominate and hope that Suggs is able to play up to his potential and can adjust to defence at the D1 level...

The coronavirus pandemic, which ended Suggs’ senior season just before the start of the state tournament, has put the brakes on the sports world – including pro basketball internationally.

“We haven’t talked to anybody,” said Larry Suggs, Jalen’s father. “Just like everybody, the whole world is shut down, and people called and wanted to have interviews, but it’s different than talking in person.”

The elder Suggs couldn’t rule out the possibility of that changing, but added, “It’s basketball and it’s a business. Right now when people call me, we’re Gonzaga Bulldogs. There’s nothing to really debate about, but if somebody came up with something, we’d listen.”
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...lly-signs-wit/

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    I saw on ESPN today, the NFL is planning a scenario of playing the entire season without fans. I would guess that would be the same for NCAA Football. If that is the case, we should see NCAA Basketball next season too. I hope ESPN is wrong on this and we can have fans at the games. (If it is safe.)
    The tough thing for college is you NEED to have kids back on campus to have activities. AD's have said you can't have remote learning for the entire school yet require athletes participate at school. This is a huge hurdle to overcome as many schools that start in August may just continue remote learning.

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    The tough thing for college is you NEED to have kids back on campus to have activities. AD's have said you can't have remote learning for the entire school yet require athletes participate at school. This is a huge hurdle to overcome as many schools that start in August may just continue remote learning.
    This. Colleges won't let athletics resume without all students back on campus. There's a working rumor that if they had athletes return when normal school wasn't functioning, it could jeopardize their claim for amateur status and God forbid the NCAA starts paying players.

Testing is currently going in the wrong direction (fewer tests instead of more). Testing needs to increase DRASTICALLY.

A statistically significant random sample that we can generalize to entire population would be extremely valuable. Doing this with antibody testing would be even more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    A statistically significant random sample that we can generalize to entire population would be extremely valuable. Doing this with antibody testing would be even more valuable.
    If there were a way to test municipal wastewater for the virus, it might be a really cheap way to get a baseline for the prevalence in various populations. Maybe it's not possible though.

I did see a fascinating graph showing the prevalence of google searching related to loss of sense of smell or taste and areas of the country that have been hard hit so far.

Tenth best recruiting class out of 350 plus colleges,
    pre season ranked first or second,
    These ratios have been with us for time immoral, or did I say that or immemorial,
    the greatest rubric I can think of to honor this program more than percent of victory, road games, etc,
    is how we have ranked in recruits, compared to how we have ranked at seasons end.

only 5 straight sweet 16's could compare with this rubric.
    nothing shows our program, style of play, coaching staff, pass first, unselfish, sophisticated offensive sets, more than this stat. Our recruit ranking is ten times lower than our pre season ranking, and it has always been that lopsided.
    Welcome to Zag Nation Jalen, Zack Collings chose us and had no regrets whatsoever. What a win-win.
    Lead us to the promised land along with your team-mates !!

not a peep

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    not a peep
    I had some Peeps on Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    not a peep
    lots of tweets,
    but
    no peeps ?

Are we just ignoring that Suggs' team has said on multiple occasions now after signing the letter of intent that all options are still open in terms of G League and or Europe?

I think the G League option is really unusual but if the NBA is guaranteeing $500K to players and also guaranteeing that they'll have a team and staff to practice with and play with next year even if there's a lock down in place is an attractive option right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Are we just ignoring that Suggs' team has said on multiple occasions now after signing the letter of intent that all options are still open in terms of G League and or Europe?

I think the G League option is really unusual but if the NBA is guaranteeing $500K to players and also guaranteeing that they'll have a team and staff to practice with and play with next year even if there's a lock down in place is an attractive option right now.
    It’s a max of $500k. For reference, 5-star Isaiah Todd just announced he’s going the g-league route. If he meets all of the bonuses, he could end up with $250k. I suspect t Suggs is close to that number.

Just Stop, nobody with any inside information has said anything of the kind. He's signed, he's coming.

Shhhhh...."Just go along with it Jerry, go along with it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Just Stop, nobody with any inside information has said anything of the kind. He's signed, he's coming.
    Tell his pops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    The Spokesman Review article includes a quote from his dad saying, "The elder Suggs couldn’t rule out the possibility of that changing, but added, “It’s basketball and it’s a business. Right now when people call me, we’re Gonzaga Bulldogs. There’s nothing to really debate about, but if somebody came up with something, we’d listen.” I'm commenting on a public quote from his father. Immediately before Suggs signed the LOI there were reports he was considering the G League option.

Given everything we know, there's presumably some combination of a dollar amount and development model (whether it be in a foreign league or in the new G League program) that the Suggs camp will consider, and I would think that the longer the uncertainty regarding the start of the NCAA basketball season and academic year, (or part of it) and the more players who accept G League offers, the more likely this he's not coming to Gonzaga. This is pretty much true for all recruits: if the season is delayed more players will find other avenues to develop, if available.

The Spokesman Review article includes a quote from his dad saying, "The elder Suggs couldn’t rule out the possibility of that changing, but added, “It’s basketball and it’s a business. Right now when people call me, we’re Gonzaga Bulldogs. There’s nothing to really debate about, but if somebody came up with something, we’d listen.” I'm commenting on a public quote from his father. Immediately before Suggs signed the LOI there were reports he was considering the G League option.

Given everything we know, there's presumably some combination of a dollar amount and development model (whether it be in a foreign league or in the new G League program) that the Suggs camp will consider, and I would think that the longer the uncertainty regarding the start of the NCAA basketball season and academic year, (or part of it) and the more players who accept G League offers, the more likely this he's not coming to Gonzaga. This is pretty much true for all recruits: if the season is delayed more players will find other avenues to develop, if available.

"IF" the season is cancelled, then yes go to the G-League but once you signed your name to a document then that is a commitment, which isn't legally binding in court but it is YOUR WORD! Like I said earlier, let's hope he plays for us as he should.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    "IF" the season is cancelled, then yes go to the G-League but once you signed your name to a document then that is a commitment, which isn't legally binding in court but it is YOUR WORD! Like I said earlier, let's hope he plays for us as he should.
    I hope he plays for us too. I also think that if he backs out of the LOI, I'm not going to say he's a bad guy or of low character. There are many circumstances where I'd consider someone a complete dirt bag for going back on their word or a commitment - I don't subscribe to the attitude of "It's just business," I think that's often a cop out. But a lottery pick recanting on LOI is not really something I find morally wrong or worthy of negative judgment, even if I as a member of Zag nation feel snubbed or disappointed.

I hope he plays for us too. I also think that if he backs out of the LOI, I'm not going to say he's a bad guy or of low character. There are many circumstances where I'd consider someone a complete dirt bag for going back on their word or a commitment - I don't subscribe to the attitude of "It's just business," I think that's often a cop out. But a lottery pick recanting on LOI is not really something I find morally wrong or worthy of negative judgment, even if I as a member of Zag nation feel snubbed or disappointed.
    so money plays into your view of ethics and integrity....if you can get more money you can back out of your word? not in my book a commitment is a commitment and I was brought up to fulfill my commitments......but to each his own I guess in todays world
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few