Thread: Scheduling Rumor: Zags vs. USC in Portland?

Default Scheduling Rumor: Zags vs. USC in Portland?

Dominick Harris did a live instagram interview tonight and he casually mentioned looking forward to playing his teammate, Evan Mobley, this season. He said that Gonzaga and USC will play a game in Portland this year. Am I just out of the loop or is this major unreported scheduling news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Dominick Harris did a live instagram interview tonight and he casually mentioned looking forward to playing his teammate, Evan Mobley, this season. He said that Gonzaga and USC will play a game in Portland this year. Am I just out of the loop or is this major unreported scheduling news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just asked the same ? on the other thread.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Cool

Is this a PK80-type thing? Another Nike mini-tourney in Portland? Portland doesn't make sense to me, otherwise.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Houston, we have a problem.

The likelihood of having a season next year is in jeopardy. We have a problem - a pandemic. Think for a moment. A regular college basketball season involves lots of travel (leaving the problem of close physical contact of players in games aside). Leagues are spread out covering multiple states. How’s travel being conducted now? Airlines? Buses? I don’t mean to be spouting doom & gloom here. I’d like to see Zags play next season. However, I don’t think they can play if there’s not even one other school in the WCC in the same state. Each state now has its own protocols in fighting C19. One can get long winded with all this “what if” stuff. But, looking at how things are now and how they’re not likely to change very quickly I think there’s some “out of the box” thinking to be done.

If the Zags can play basketball in 20-21, in the close physical contact that basketball entails, I think it’s more likely to be pulled off successfully if the Zags play schools closer to Spokane. Scrap the WCC for a season and play EWU, WSU, U of I, etc. Create temporary leagues of schools where fewer travel restrictions could interfere - at least as one contingency plan.

Things are not normal. How soon they will all go back to normal no one can tell. That’s simply the way things are now. The above may not be a very good idea but we need to get creative and think of ways to make things work. Eventually, with enough “what ifs” we might settle on some good ideas that work.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Life as we knew it will change for the foreseeable future BUT that doesn't mean we shouldn't plan for a future! I think it is obvious that if the federal, state and local governments can't get control of this virus, then there won't be any large events to include sports.

Default A Kennel Club Assignment

With the coming season roaring up upon us, and with OVID concerns still in mind, perhaps we should look at how fans of other sports are approaching their upcoming seasons. Take, for instance, football (soccer) in Germany:

"Some fans of the German club Borussia Mönchengladbach are paying to have plastic cutouts of themselves put in the stands. The FPMG Supporters Club said fans who give $21 can put the cutouts in the stands. ...

https://www.kansascity.com/latest-ne.../Gladbach3.jpg

... “We are the first club to ensure that the stadium gets a little ‘life’ and that fans are present, although in reality they have to watch the game at home,” the fan group wrote. “We are also supporting two small companies in Mönchengladbach, which at the moment also had to close the shops. So no profit will be made, and when the “war is won” and we can all go back to the stadium, everyone can take their portrait home as a reminder of a memorable time. Before that, we also send everyone a photo of their ‘doppelganger’ in the stadium.”"

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...ntcid=connatix
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Is this a PK80-type thing? Another Nike mini-tourney in Portland? Portland doesn't make sense to me, otherwise.

Probably not. The Zags are on deck for a trip to Orlando in November. That would be their neutral site tournament for the 2020-2021 season.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post

Supposed to be a PK 85 in 2022, something like the 16 team event in 2017. Last year there was a one day 4 team Phil Knight tourney with Memphis/Oregon and Oklahoma/Oregon St. Zags could play in that. Oregon played in it last year as well as the Bahamas tourney.

As I understand the the guidance, GU could play in both Orlando and Portland BUT only Orlando's three games would not count towards our allowable regular season total...so if we did play in Portland next season under the same format then each game played would count as a regular season game whether it be a two or three game tournament...