Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No 1 Ranking and No 1 Seed: Is it likely we begin next season like this??

Default No 1 Ranking and No 1 Seed: Is it likely we begin next season like this??

Right now i'm not sure how likely we begin next season.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I think so
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Right now i'm not sure how likely we begin next season.
    Agreed, unfortunately.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I think so
    Agreed! The 2020-21 Zags MBB team have been getting hyped up by the talking heads since January. As we get closer and once Suggs puts any question of foreign pro ideas out of the question, I can't imagine the hype goes down. And if people start talking about Ballo? And if Ayayi and Petru and Kisper return, which I think is most likely... Yes I agree #1 projection is likely.

Id put money on hoops happening.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Id put money on hoops happening.
    Me too. We are in April. Not time to panic quite yet. I wanna see what happens the rest of spring and summer first

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Me too. We are in April. Not time to panic quite yet. I wanna see what happens the rest of spring and summer first
    It is already sounding like some states are slowly gonna open up as the curve was flattened. Some states have a few more weeks. If we all listen i think June 1st the restrictions will loosen up.
    Love the zags for life

Oh, some restrictions might lift by June 1st, but allowing thousands of people to gather for a sporting event is a long way off. They're already mentioning we might not have regular school in the fall (I think they're mentioning it now so it doesn't shock people if it happens). Not sure how we can without a vaccine or else it will just spread again. I read this morning that some college back east is considering not having students on campus until winter quarter in January. Time will tell, I guess.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

If there’s a season, probably. IMHO, think Zags have preformed better with a chip on their shoulder. Thus, I always prefer no high ranking until late into the season, just in time for seeding.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    If there’s a season, probably. IMHO, think Zags have preformed better with a chip on their shoulder. Thus, I always prefer no high ranking until late into the season, just in time for seeding.
    Well we also haven’t had many opportunities to play as a high ranking either on the flip. Few always gets the best eventually.

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Well we also haven’t had many opportunities to play as a high ranking either on the flip. Few always gets the best eventually.
    Yr ... PreseasonAP, FinalAP, NCAA Seed
    2020, 8, 2, No tournament
    2019, 3, 4, 1
    2018, 18, 6, 4
    2017, 14, 2, 1
    2016, 9, UR, 8
    2015, 13, 7, 2
    2014, 15, UR, 8
    2013, 21, 1, 1
    2012, 23, UR, 7
    2011, 12, UR, 11
    2010, 17, 22, 8
    2009, 10, 10, 4
    2008, 14, 24, 7
    2007, 22, UR, 10
    2006, 8, 5, 3
    2005, 25, 10, 3
    2004, 10, 3, 2
    2003, 22, UR, 9
    2002, 25, 6, 6
    2001, UR, UR, 12
    2000, 24, UR, 10

The only time we've started ranked in the top 10 and didn't finish in the top 10 was 2016. That was the season where we had Sabonis and Wiltjer playing every minute possible since Ryan Edwards was the only other player on the roster over 6'5" tall (after the back injury to Karno who played 5 games). I'm sure we wouldn't have been ranked 9th if we didn't have PK and even without him we still made the Sweet 16 losing a close game to Syracuse.

There are 5 seasons where we started ranked within the 11-25 range and ended up out of the rankings. There are some other great seasons with 2013 or 2002 being the most vivid examples, where we started in the 20s and ended highly ranked (#1/#6). I always wonder what 2009 would have been like if we didn't lose Sacre to injury. No way he lets us lose three games in a row in December. We get a better seed maybe by a line or two and end up not having to play North Carolina in the Sweet 16.

But looking at that, I want to be ranked as high as possible. It seems to have worked in the past for us pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    But looking at that, I want to be ranked as high as possible. It seems to have worked in the past for us pretty well.
    Absolutely. Elite CBB programs don't hide in the shadows hoping to sneak up on someone. Like it or not, GU is now the hunted, not the hunter (except to the extent the Zags are now annually hunting for a national championship).

Assuming all stay put, and Suggs doesn't go pro... yeah... think we start there.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

LIZ the "rankers" do seem to depend a lot on Suggs being the PG. I think we have enough good and superior recruits and returnees to still merit this highest ranking. I will love this upcoming season and this team like few we've had. Would have been nice if Collins had stayed.......there would be no doubt. Wait till you all see Ballo! WOW!!

I agree... Point would be a touch thin without Suggs but the talent is there. This is going to be a scary good team
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

[QUOTE=Radbooks;1516545]Oh, some restrictions might lift by June 1st, but allowing thousands of people to gather for a sporting event is a long way off. They're already mentioning we might not have regular school in the fall (I think they're mentioning it now so it doesn't shock people if it happens). Not sure how we can without a vaccine or else it will just spread again. I read this morning that some college back east is considering not having students on campus until winter quarter in January. Time will tell, I guess.[/QUOTE

The what if’s are head spinning.
    Parlez-vous français?

.[/QUOTE

The what if’s are head spinning.[/QUOTE]

Yep.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    .[/QUOTE

The what if’s are head spinning.
    Yep.[/QUOTE]

LA is saying no sports or concerts til 2021.

So i may be wrong and sports wont happen but i still can't see lockdown of sports for another year.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Yep.

So i may be wrong and sports wont happen but i still can't see lockdown of sports for another year.[/QUOTE]

Play all the California teams in Las Vegas

We will be #1

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Oh, some restrictions might lift by June 1st, but allowing thousands of people to gather for a sporting event is a long way off. They're already mentioning we might not have regular school in the fall (I think they're mentioning it now so it doesn't shock people if it happens). Not sure how we can without a vaccine or else it will just spread again. I read this morning that some college back east is considering not having students on campus until winter quarter in January. Time will tell, I guess.
    Yep, a much better testing scenario will be needed just to have lots of people travel let alone crowd into the Kennel screaming and shouting. I suppose there’s a huge push to get a vaccine early but if getting everyone vaccinated is anything like how testing has gone, which is still woefully inadequate, my expectations for anything like a normal season is heavily dampened. This black C19 cloud over our heads isn’t going to go away by wishful thinking. It’s going to take lots of hard work and a much better administration to coordinate and inspire the will of the populace into an effective defeat of the pandemic - and not just within our own country’s borders. This is a world wide fight.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Default No 1 Ranking and No 1 Seed: Is it likely we begin next season like this??

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post

So i may be wrong and sports wont happen but i still can't see lockdown of sports for another year.

LA mayor did not say no sports until 2021. He said it was “difficult to see” and “may not happen” to have large gatherings of “thousands of people”. He then went further to say he looks forward to watching sports “without fans” being present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Yep, a much better testing scenario will be needed just to have lots of people travel let alone crowd into the Kennel screaming and shouting. I suppose there’s a huge push to get a vaccine early but if getting everyone vaccinated is anything like how testing has gone, which is still woefully inadequate, my expectations for anything like a normal season is heavily dampened. This black C19 cloud over our heads isn’t going to go away by wishful thinking. It’s going to take lots of hard work and a much better administration to coordinate and inspire the will of the populace into an effective defeat of the pandemic - and not just within our own country’s borders. This is a world wide fight.
    I agree with a lot of this.

Having said that, a vaccine isn't coming early folks, you need to do human trials to verify safety, and that takes time no matter what. And after that you have to distribute the test not only nationally but worldwide.

We're halfway through April and still not close to having the amount of tests we need to even consider opening things back up. We closed down our society when there were a few thousand cases, now there is over half a million (and that's just verified, it's probably closer to 10x that, a lot of people have zero symptoms) and they're talking about opening things back up without adequate nationwide testing, it's just going to skyrocket the number of cases and we'll have to close down again. It's going to go in waves folks.

And because each state is dealing with this in their own way there's no way a national basketball league is going to have a regular looking season by November. You think Mark Few at his age is going to coach a team in an arena filled with young people who could be asymptomatic? Not a chance.

Next season is not going to happen, not with the way things are being managed by our administration right now.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Get a card proving ur negative and you’ll be able to go anywhere. ... depending the sero negativity is lasting. I’m thinking there will be seasons full of events by autumn. hockey. U might leave the cracks about “this administration “ out of posts. It serves no purpose and is unnecessarily inflammatory to some.