• Reborn

9 32.14%
  • Elias

18 64.29%
  • Kyle

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Zags by the Numbers - 20

Also great to see The Blade. Is that Bundy and Quigg and Howie and Marty Wall?

You got it, Hondo. You're right on all three of those guys.
    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Also great to see The Blade. Is that Bundy and Quigg and Howie and Marty Wall?
    I recognize McGinley but I don't see Bly or McNair
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I recognize McGinley but I don't see Bly or McNair
    I was wondering the same thing. Was wondering if they were on the end, and they got cut out when I tried to save the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Roborn looks a little like Rem.

[I recognize McGinley but I don't see Bly or McNair]

Joe is on the end, but maybe Dennie wasn't on the team that year.

Elias!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post

[I recognize McGinley but I don't see Bly or McNair]

Joe is on the end, but maybe Dennie wasn't on the team that year.
    Thanks for fixing it. Dennis didn't play that year. The other person who got cut off is Doug Rheme #30 from EllensburG. A GREAT ZAG!
    Hank Anderson, of course was the coach in back row. On the left side in front row kneeling is assistant coach Rich Juarez, from Wapato and played at Gonzaga. And on the right side standing is assistant coach Bud Presely....whom many a GU fan loves.

Reborn for President!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Reborn for President!
    hahahah hahahaha hahah

I wish someone could post the pic of me dribbling the basketball up court. It's back on my post where I posted links to both pics. It's post #20....wow same as the number on my jersey.

Go Zags!!!

There you go

Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    There you go

Wow, you had some pipes going on there, Reborn!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Here's another:

Awesome pics!!

Reborn-
    Can you describe the process you had to go through to make the team?
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Here's another:

Is that BYU? Clearly a flop.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Good one Kitz

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Awesome pics!!

Reborn-
    Can you describe the process you had to go through to make the team?
    Great pics guys. It's fun to look back and remember those days. To try and answer woohoo; First I was on scholarship. I completed my first year, and back then in those days freshmen could not play varsity. All of the freshmen who were on scholarship were invited to try out for varsity. I decided to try. I started out on the 4th team, which was at the bottom of the barrel. I was on the last team, and most of the players on that team were players who had graduated the year before and stayed around to help out on the varsity, Gary Leishman, Frank Thomas, Billy Suter. These were the best guys from the one of the better teams at GU up to that time in history. These guys were good. I got to play guard on that scrub team with Billy Suter and there was one other freshman. Well! We got to scrimmage the first team varsity a lot, and I actually was playing really well. The guys I was playing with could really play and they all wanted me to shine and they helped me by giving me really good passes and screens. I never lacked confidence and was able to make most of my shots. I began to get noticed not only for that but for my defense. I was able to stop most of the guards who were ahead of me.

I began to move up off that 4th team, to the 3rd, and then to the 2nd team by the time the games started. In order to move up the ladder I had to prove I was better than two really good players who had been good subs the year before: John Dougherty and Mike McGinley (sorry if I misspelled their names). I think I was able to do that by my defense. I was a darn good defensive player, and tough (willing to take charging calls on opponents). I was given a chance to play in the games, and when I went in I always played well, making shots and playing good defense. I think my toughness and my defense were my strengths, but I could also score in many ways. If we pressed I was one of the five who got to play. I was good at stealing the ball and intercepting passes. I got to play more and more with each game because when I went in as a sub, I did better and better. Paz Rocha was the other guard and he and I got along great and he was a senior and me a Sophomore, and he was married but we were really good friends. I loved playing with him, and we did well together.

After about ten games or so, I was elevated to a starter, and it was really fun because I loved to play with Rocha. He was a really good point guard and we loved to run and press. I was deeply humbled and grateful to be a starter on a D-1 team. I remember when I first arrived at GU to play, an aweful lot of the other players trying out would try to psych me out (mostly players from Cali). They constantly told me that I'd never make it at GU because I was from a small 1A school from Washington. They had an attitude that Washington really didn't have REAL basketball players who could play D-1. Two things I always had was confidence (belief in myself and my abilities) and toughness. I was a really good defensive player. In all the games that I played at GU there was only one player who ever scored more than ten points on me, and he played for Weber State and ended up playing in the NBA for I think 15 years.

Thanks for asking Woohoo!

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Is that BYU? Clearly a flop.
    From looking at the full house, I would guess it was WSU in the pic because I believe that they were the only team who came to play at the Kennel who would draw a gym full of fans. I really enjoyed playing against WSU because two of their starters were also from Yakima, and a 3rd Ray Stein played at Richland and I knew him pretty well from following sports in the paper. The two players from Yakima were Lenny Allen and Ted Wierman. The GU player who is falling looks like Blain Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Great pics guys. It's fun to look back and remember those days. To try and answer woohoo; First I was on scholarship. I completed my first year, and back then in those days freshmen could not play varsity. All of the freshmen who were on scholarship were invited to try out for varsity. I decided to try. I started out on the 4th team, which was at the bottom of the barrel. I was on the last team, and most of the players on that team were players who had graduated the year before and stayed around to help out on the varsity, Gary Leishman, Frank Thomas, Billy Suter. These were the best guys from the one of the better teams at GU up to that time in history. These guys were good. I got to play guard on that scrub team with Billy Suter and there was one other freshman. Well! We got to scrimmage the first team varsity a lot, and I actually was playing really well. The guys I was playing with could really play and they all wanted me to shine and they helped me by giving me really good passes and screens. I never lacked confidence and was able to make most of my shots. I began to get noticed not only for that but for my defense. I was able to stop most of the guards who were ahead of me.

I began to move up off that 4th team, to the 3rd, and then to the 2nd team by the time the games started. In order to move up the ladder I had to prove I was better than two really good players who had been good subs the year before: John Dougherty and Mike McGinley (sorry if I misspelled their names). I think I was able to do that by my defense. I was a darn good defensive player, and tough (willing to take charging calls on opponents). I was given a chance to play in the games, and when I went in I always played well, making shots and playing good defense. I think my toughness and my defense were my strengths, but I could also score in many ways. If we pressed I was one of the five who got to play. I was good at stealing the ball and intercepting passes. I got to play more and more with each game because when I went in as a sub, I did better and better. Paz Rocha was the other guard and he and I got along great and he was a senior and me a Sophomore, and he was married but we were really good friends. I loved playing with him, and we did well together.

After about ten games or so, I was elevated to a starter, and it was really fun because I loved to play with Rocha. He was a really good point guard and we loved to run and press. I was deeply humbled and grateful to be a starter on a D-1 team. I remember when I first arrived at GU to play, an aweful lot of the other players trying out would try to psych me out (mostly players from Cali). They constantly told me that I'd never make it at GU because I was from a small 1A school from Washington. They had an attitude that Washington really didn't have REAL basketball players who could play D-1. Two things I always had was confidence (belief in myself and my abilities) and toughness. I was a really good defensive player. In all the games that I played at GU there was only one player who ever scored more than ten points on me, and he played for Weber State and ended up playing in the NBA for I think 15 years.

Thanks for asking Woohoo!

Go Zags!!!

Wow! I'm impressed. Thanks for the recap Reborn! That's so awesome.

Who is the best player you faced back then? Do you remember? (Any opposing player that you guys played against. You didn't necessarily have to guard him personally, but the best opposing player a team you were on faced)
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Here's another:

Which gym is that?
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Which gym is that?
    Home whites. gotta be Kennedy Pavilion and I agree with Reborn probably vs Wazzu.
    Birddog

Zags in white. Its got to be the old Kennel. Which was a pretty new building at the time.

In all the games that I played at GU there was only one player who ever scored more than ten points on me, and he played for Weber State and ended up playing in the NBA for I think 15 years.
    You're probably referring to either Justus Thigpen or Sessions Harlan. IIRC Thigpen played PG for Weber and Sessions was the SG. They also had high flying Willie Sojourner. Those were great Weber St teams.
    Birddog

The caption to the photo doesn't say who the other team is. Here's what it has:

Title
    Varsity Basketball team 1969-1970 : men
    Description
    Jim M. Bresnahan during the middle of a game where he is fouled by the opponent. Jim M. Bresnahan shoots the ball where a teammate is close behind him to make sure the basket is scored.
    (Reborn is the teammate)

By the way, the copyright policy says that I should identify Gonzaga University Archives as the source of the image.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Wow! I'm impressed. Thanks for the recap Reborn! That's so awesome.

Who is the best player you faced back then? Do you remember? (Any opposing player that you guys played against. You didn't necessarily have to guard him personally, but the best opposing player a team you were on faced)
    The best team we ever played was Washington St...1967-68. They finished 2nd in Pac 10 behind UCLA who had Alcinder. They were one of the few teams who gave UCLA a good game. Jim McKean was their Power Forward, and best player. Ted Wierman was their Center, guards were Lenny Allen and Ray Stein. Allen and Wierman were from Yakima. The best player I ever played against was Justus Thigpen from Weber State. He played in the ABA and NBA later on. He was the only player to score more than ten points against me. AND I think he scored like 30. hahahaha I was only a Sophomore though. ANOTHER very good player was Nolan Archibald. He played at Idaho St. The player I enjoyed the playing against the most was Jim Thacker from Idaho. He was their hot-shot point guard, and he could never score even ten against me, and I drove him crazy every time we played them.

My best games were against WSU. I would really get up when we played them. I was going to guard Ray Stein who was one of my high school heros, as were Lenny Allen and Ted Wierman WHO were from Yakima. After the game at WSU a very odd thing happened. Their coach, Marv Harshman, came into our bus after the game and said to me in front of the whole team, "Dick Walter! The biggest mistake I ever made in coaching was not recruiting you to come here and play for WSU." Something like that. But it was quite an honor actually for that moment. This was my Soph year.