Thread: COVID Threatens College Sports' Cash Cow: Football

Default COVID Threatens College Sports' Cash Cow: Football

From SI: https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/0...aa-coronavirus

A total or partial loss of the sport could send some athletic departments so deep into the red that one administrator predicted even Power 5 football programs shuttering. But the absence of football is only one piece. The long-term and severe financial impacts from an economic recession could not only reform forever how departments operate but also could spell sweeping changes to the landscape of college athletics—from the formation of a super division to a new wave of conference realignment, from money-saving travel modifications to football scheduling alterations, from discontinued sports to thousands of lost jobs.
    Meanwhile, at the highest level of the sport, officials are bracing for a loss in all three major revenue-producing categories: conference distribution, ticket sales and donations. Conference/postseason distribution and TV money is a significant part of every athletic budget, as much as 40% in the Big Ten. It includes postseason football and megamillion-dollar TV contracts that could be impacted without a season or in the case of a truncated season. “The revenue from ticket sales and concessions, that’s all significant, but we could figure that out. Your expenses get reduced,” Young says. “On the other hand, where the revenue comes from athletics is really the TV contract and distribution. That’s really important.”

Reno, I see this to be a big enough issue that teams will look to recover whatever revenue they can, even if that means having unofficial games between local schools. Who knows? Maybe we see a return to more regionally aligned conferences coming out of this. The added benefit would be reduced travel budgets as well.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

States would have to relinquish some degree of control, but in an effort to continue the revenue stream:

Yes. My question about antibody testing was specifically, how long do athletes, staff, and film crews etc. need to be in isolation before there is any degree of certainly that there are no asymptomatic carriers, understanding that an absolute is not possible.
    That will be the standard needed for the NBA to BEGIN resumption of practice, hopefully leading towards an ending to last season and a beginning of next. A few of the players have been allowed back onto the practice courts.
    The same for a possible beginning of a new spring training in MLB in June with an eye towards possible games starting in July.
    It also must include Hotel staff, including food preparation, being willing to isolate for the months required, perhaps a rolling staff with new quarantines for staff as they return from a monthly break, a 4 day weekend. It also will require a method of replenishment of supplies and food products that won't re-introduce infection back into the premises.

IF those things can be worked out successfully, there MAY be a ray of hope that Universities and Colleges see a platform to allow themselves to move forward. As I said in a different thread, the safest way would be to allow only the athletes back on campus, maintaining social distancing between sports and with each participating school having to abide by NCAA guidelines along those lines. All schoolwork would be completed online.

It would be a way for NCAA sports to continue making money until such time as it becomes safe to gradually revert back to the previous system. They could even have fans allowed in, with each seat being a minimum of 6', or more, away from any other seat, and each game would have a lottery to dispense the tickets. Admissions would be by a pre-scheduled time table, at different gates, again to ensure social distancing. A Kennel club with 1/6 of the students would still be better than none.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Really difficult seeing half measures with fans in the arena. What if someone down the row needs to powder their nose? Does the whole row evacuate to allow passage? Do the toilets get disinfected after each use? How about door handles? What if a guy two rows up sneezes?

Seems to me it’s everybody in or nobody. If it’s everybody, those attending would have to assume the risk and possibly sign a waiver. Just don’t see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Really difficult seeing half measures with fans in the arena. What if someone down the row needs to powder their nose? Does the whole row evacuate to allow passage? Do the toilets get disinfected after each use? How about door handles? What if a guy two rows up sneezes?

Seems to me it’s everybody in or nobody. If it’s everybody, those attending would have to assume the risk and possibly sign a waiver. Just don’t see that happening.
    Just trying to find a box to think outside of.

With my daughter going to Tennessee this fall, I am looking at buying Tennessee season tickets. The school is trying to keep ticket holders informed. There is not currently a plan, but as of now all schools but Vanderbilt have announced that they plan on opening their campuses to students in some fashion this fall which is considered a must for football to take the next step.

Reopening campuses is considered a must for major conferences before starting the next steps of planning sports competition. Comprehensive testing is also a must:
    Dr. Brian Hainline, the NCAA’s chief medical officer, has also said widespread testing for the coronavirus will be crucial to having college sports in the fall, especially contact sports such as football and basketball.
    https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...lege-football/
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I know that people, including Emmert, have said that without the campuses opening up to students, there will be no athletics, but...we already know that the academic part can be done, almost entirely, online. What can't be done online is the athletics.
    I also understand that there is a direct tie between being a Student and an Athlete at the collegiate level, but does there really have to be one before there is the other, and why? (Decrees from on high not withstanding)
    College athletics add so much to the fabric of our society, the add to the enjoyment and to the college experience, for students, alumni and others in general society. Why cut off the nose just to spite the face?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I know that people, including Emmert, have said that without the campuses opening up to students, there will be no athletics, but...we already know that the academic part can be done, almost entirely, online. What can't be done online is the athletics.
    I also understand that there is a direct tie between being a Student and an Athlete at the collegiate level, but does there really have to be one before there is the other, and why? (Decrees from on high not withstanding)
    College athletics add so much to the fabric of our society, the add to the enjoyment and to the college experience, for students, alumni and others in general society. Why cut off the nose just to spite the face?
    Schools are way leery of that. I am not paying out of state tuition for my daughter to sit at home and do online courses. It's a lot cheaper to do that through the local CC.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Schools are way leery of that. I am not paying out of state tuition for my daughter to sit at home and do online courses. It's a lot cheaper to do that through the local CC.
    I understand about not wanting to do the out of state tuition...but "just because", as the rest of the answer, really isn't, unless the schools believe that at no time in the fall semester will they actually have students on campus. It would be a ramping up to full student activity.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I'm as big a sport's fan as any, will & there is no arguing what sports adds to our society (& economy), but to me athlete's only on campus is a bad look.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Seems the NCAA/schools would have a hard time maintaining their arguments about the amateur status of athletes if a school is closed to only essential employees, e.g. no students, with the exception of athletes. That would make them appear to be very much "essential" and "employees".

Colin Cowherd has sources tell him that Alabama-USC won't be happening. According to this Alabama blog Alabama is reportedly reaching out to TCU as a replacement.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/al...snt-happening/
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

An interesting read on the topic: https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/1...on-ncaa-future
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time