Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name a Better Rotation to Start the Year..

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Obviously we'll have to wait and see how good the ZAGS are in the coming season, but the position that intrigues me the most is the the 3 spot. With Kispert, Strawther and Watson able to not only play, but potentially dominate that position I really like the chances for this team. That has always seemed to be the weakest spot for the ZAGS, especially in the depth department.
    Arlauskas:

Transfer?
    Redshirt?
    Stay and play <5min/game?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I wanna say with all due respect to the 2017 team that team didn’t receive near the hype (probably should’ve though) that this team has right now.

A. Two new sit and and play transfers (we knew they’d be great but nobody else did)
    I agree that next year's team (and the 18'-19 team) got more preseason hype than the title game squad. But did most GU fans really think the JW3 and Nigel would be as good as they proved to be? I just looked at their respective stats, as 2 year starters for low-level power 6 squads (UW, Mizzou) and neither JW3 or Nigel was nearly as good as a freshman or soph as they were as redshirt juniors. I don't know what the median expectation level of those transfers was, but its obvious that the program hit home runs with both guys. I wonder if most zag fans really did expect the kind of great results that occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Arlauskas:

Transfer?
    Redshirt?
    Stay and play <5min/game?
    Ugh, I totally spaced out about him. No excuse other than I'm tired. He definitely showed potential and determination at times. Does he have, for lack of a better word, the polish needed to crack the rotation between the 2 and 3 spots? Does him staying commit Watson to the post?
    I certainly do like having this as a potential problem compared to a lack of depth. And it's the potential depth at the 3 spot that "might" give the edge to next year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    AYAYI could start over Perkins. I'd also take Kispert over Mathews.

Go Zags!!!
    Interesting on your choices...Perkins was a more of an SG than the PG as NWG had the ball most of the time...I could see this switch but Josh was a much better shooter from 3-pt land that Joel...imo

CK is the SF and Matthews was an SG filling in the SF spot on paper...we pretty much didn't have a big/strong SF for years and CK does fill that spot...so I could see the swap; however, I don't see a swap with Suggs and NWG and to compare the two before Suggs has even had a practice with D1 athletes is imo far fetched...but I respect those opinions even though I cannot agree...

JWIII and PK are a much stronger front court than Tillie/Filip...they held their own against maybe one of the best front courts in many years...

I'd like to see these two teams play against each other and thing Team 2 wins 7 out of 10...

But even comparing these two teams says a lot about Coach Few's ability to recruit better athletes today than he did four years ago...looking forward to a great season, the good Lord will and the creek doesn't rise!!!

GO Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Interesting on your choices...Perkins was a more of an SG than the PG as NWG had the ball most of the time...I could see this switch but Josh was a much better shooter from 3-pt land that Joel...imo
    I enjoyed reading your post. Ayayi was the MVP of the Conference Tournament, and I believe showed the kind of skills he has. For some reason I think Few held him back. I say this because of how great Ayayi played in the FIBA Tournament during the summer. Ayayi, imo was a pretty good 3 point shooter. I'm not sure what his % was, but he always hit some pretty big 3 point shots in the same way Josh did. When it comes to attacking the basket Ayayi is head and shoulders better than Josh. That was Josh's biggest weakness, imo, AND turning the ball over.

Mathews may have been a 2 on paper, but he did play the 3.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!